MadonnaNation.com Forums
Sky Fits Heaven

M's stronger & weaker studio albums lyrically?

M's stronger & weaker studio albums lyrically?  

145 members have voted

1. 1. M's stronger studio albums lyrically?

2. 2. M's weaker studio albums lyrically?

loowee    0

COADF is too full of cliché. Makes me cringe at times. 

Lolo    0
29 minutes ago, karbatal said:

:lol:

Love you Robin. And with Rimbaud as avatar pic, you are simply King of Life in this forum 

Except that it is Stalin at his avatar, very iconic pic. But maybe you were being ironic, i don't seem to 'get it' here quite often, lately...

The poll is tough. I picked LAP and Erotica for best, and I had a hard time not picking MDNA for worst, cause I love the lyrics for Falling Free and Love Spent.

Kim    0

Worst? Sky, Guy, Why, High. I'm sure you know the one I mean.

Songs and albums that tell real, relatable and vivid stories are the best. So that would be Like a Prayer and Erotica.

Pedro    0

What defines a stronger lyric? One that makes a simpler use of language and resonates with a much wider audience..? or one that we perceive as more complex poetic use of language that resonates and conveys message in a different way? 

If you ask me what has a stronger lyrical content:

Live out your fantasy here with me
Just let the music set you free
Touch my body, and move in time
Now I now you're mine

OR:

And pure so sure I’d struck a vein
I wanted you to feel the same
So when you did ignite a spark
Rescue me from all this dark  

I could say that the use of language is different, there might be a more open interpretation from the listener, the messages could no be so straight forward, one or the other depends more on the listener circumstances and context, but I can't ever say that one is stronger than the other. They both convey a message and do it in a extraordinary manner. 

I'm a deep admirer of American Life because the messages resonates with me a lot more now, but when I revisit Like a Virgin I always think: "what a pop, well written, structured masterpiece" and I immediately connect with its messages and what they represented. 

I can't vote in this thread as I don't consider weak any of her lyrics, I might like or be moved more by some but that's my relationship with her work, I can't judge what other listeners are experiencing. 

Obviously I understand that there is a better and more beautiful use of language in ones than in others. 

karbatal    0
1 hour ago, Lolo said:

Except that it is Stalin at his avatar, very iconic pic. But maybe you were being ironic, i don't seem to 'get it' here quite often, lately...

The poll is tough. I picked LAP and Erotica for best, and I had a hard time not picking MDNA for worst, cause I love the lyrics for Falling Free and Love Spent.

Oh I was not being ironic. I was convince he was Rimbaud!  I confused that iconic picture with this other iconic picture

Resultado de imagen de rimbaud young

dollhouse    0
4 hours ago, jazzyjan said:

This poll makes me want to cry. :gross:  Like a Virgin is one of the best pop albums ever with lyrics that are memorable and real and I don't care what anyone says - I love MDNA.  It has some of her most poignant and personal songs on it. 

I agree.

I think its biased. People just like to bash recent records coz they sold less.

MDNA and RH had strong lyrics.

dollhouse    0
1 hour ago, loowee said:

COADF is too full of cliché. Makes me cringe at times. 

+ the "dork" lyric.

Django    0
1 hour ago, dollhouse said:

I agree.

madmex    0
4 hours ago, Robin said:

Like a virgin has the strongest lyrics look at Material girl for example it quoted Karl Marx. The whole album has  a anti capitalism theme, its so underrated tbh 

FB_IMG_1489290730835.jpg

I agree. Like a Virgin is an statement of the 80's.   I guess younger people just don't get.  =/

Maddylvr    0
7 hours ago, dollhouse said:

Erotica has the best lyrics!

American Life has some cringe lyrics as does COADF.

Totally agree. Erotica has a lot of tongue-in-cheek, which is very Madonna. I still have a hard time with ILNY-her rhyming dork with New York lol 

dollhouse    0
28 minutes ago, Martin B. said:

Strongest : Erotica

Weakest : MDNA

Best: Like A Prayer, I'm Breathless, Erotica, BS, ROL, RH, TB, LAV

Weakest: AL, Music somehow (sorry) and COADF

This is hard. I don't really think about lyrics on an album-wide basis, since each track is its own work.

"American Life" immediately came to mind for both her best and worst. The "AL" rap is embarrassing and the juvenile rhyme scheme on "Nobody Knows Me" is just lazy. But "X-Static Process" is one of the most layered lyrical pieces of her career. It can be heard so many different ways -- Is it a commentary on fame? Is she having an existential crisis or some sort of breakdown? Is she realizing, even so early in her marriage, that Guy is a mistake? I hear something new every time I play this song. It's a masterwork.

"Like a Prayer," "Erotica" and "Ray of Light" are probably her most consistently strong lyrically. "Madonna," "Hard Candy" and "MDNA" among her weakest.

2 hours ago, dollhouse said:

I agree.

:rolleyes: This lazy ass excuse has got to be retired from Madonna fandom. Fans used to throw this at other fans who didn't like "Erotica" back when I started joining online forums. Then, after "AL" flopped, fans threw it at fans who didn't like that album. Now it's trotted out for "MDNA" and "RH." Can't we just accept other fans' opinions on face value instead of slandering those who don't agree with us?

dollhouse    0
2 minutes ago, material_boy said:

This is hard. I don't really think about lyrics on an album-wide basis, since each track is its own work.

"American Life" immediately came to mind for both her best and worst. The "AL" rap is embarrassing and the juvenile rhyme scheme on "Nobody Knows Me" is just lazy. But "X-Static Process" is one of the most layered lyrical pieces of her career. It can be heard so many different ways -- Is it a commentary on fame? Is she having an existential crisis or some sort of breakdown? Is she realizing, even so early in her marriage, that Guy is a mistake? I hear something new every time I play this song. It's a masterwork.

"Like a Prayer," "Erotica" and "Ray of Light" are probably her most consistently strong lyrically. "Madonna," "Hard Candy" and "MDNA" among her weakest.

:rolleyes: This lazy ass excuse has got to be retired from Madonna fandom. Fans used to throw this at other fans who didn't like "Erotica" back when I started joining online forums. Then, after "AL" flopped, fans threw it at fans who didn't like that album. Now it's trotted out for "MDNA" and "RH." Can't we just accept other fans' opinions on face value instead of slandering those who don't agree with us?

you see the pattern, great!

people bashed HC too when it was the latest, no more.

1 minute ago, dollhouse said:

you see the pattern, great!

people bashed HC too when it was the latest, no more.

We must be visiting different forums. People bash "HC" all the time.

luluthecat    0

Well I think it's gonna have to be Erotica strongest for strongest. 

........but weakest is a little harder for me as some of her "weakest" lyrics make up my favourite M songs. Like COADF has some real rather a few but it all just sounds so good I don't care, whereas MDNA has weaker production values and some lames lyrics - even repeated lame lyrics, Turn Up The Radio takes the biscuit for me "buzzing around like moth to a flame", "I want to escape with a person just like you" - yuk

madmex    0

:smiles::dry::unsure:  #worst (MUSIC)

I like to singy singy singy
(Like a bird) On a wingy wingy wingy
I like to rhumba rhumba rhumba
Dance to a samba samba samba

------------------

:inlove::cries: #Best (LIKE A PRAYER)

It's funny that way, you can get used
To the tears and the pain
What a child will believe
You never loved me

You can't hurt me now
I got away from you, I never thought I would
You can't make me cry, you once had the power
I never felt so good about myself

Kurt420    0
15 hours ago, jazzyjan said:

This poll makes me want to cry. :gross:  Like a Virgin is one of the best pop albums ever with lyrics that are memorable and real and I don't care what anyone says - I love MDNA.  It has some of her most poignant and personal songs on it. 

Me too jazzy! "Strong" doesn't have to just be deep, personal, "gritty & raw" :lol:. There's also a "strength" to the simplicity of just a damn good pop song. It's those songs that often times connect to people the most. Let's be real here, what average music listener would choose Mer Girl over Like  A Virgin? 

VogueMusic    0
13 hours ago, Pedro said:

What defines a stronger lyric? One that makes a simpler use of language and resonates with a much wider audience..? or one that we perceive as more complex poetic use of language that resonates and conveys message in a different way? 

If you ask me what has a stronger lyrical content:

Live out your fantasy here with me
Just let the music set you free
Touch my body, and move in time
Now I now you're mine

OR:

And pure so sure I’d struck a vein
I wanted you to feel the same
So when you did ignite a spark
Rescue me from all this dark  

I could say that the use of language is different, there might be a more open interpretation from the listener, the messages could no be so straight forward, one or the other depends more on the listener circumstances and context, but I can't ever say that one is stronger than the other. They both convey a message and do it in a extraordinary manner. 

I'm a deep admirer of American Life because the messages resonates with me a lot more now, but when I revisit Like a Virgin I always think: "what a pop, well written, structured masterpiece" and I immediately connect with its messages and what they represented. 

I can't vote in this thread as I don't consider weak any of her lyrics, I might like or be moved more by some but that's my relationship with her work, I can't judge what other listeners are experiencing. 

Obviously I understand that there is a better and more beautiful use of language in ones than in others. 

I love your posts.  :clap::clap::clap:

1 hour ago, Kurt420 said:

Me too jazzy! "Strong" doesn't have to just be deep, personal, "gritty & raw" :lol:. There's also a "strength" to the simplicity of just a damn good pop song. It's those songs that often times connect to people the most. Let's be real here, what average music listener would choose Mer Girl over Like  A Virgin? 

This.  :lmao:

VogueMusic    0

Strongest: Erotica (naturally)

Weakest:  Yes, I voted Ray of Light.  And no, I don't actually think of it as weak at all, I just did it to spite the usual suspects and the fucking pedestal that album is always put on. (Still love it, naturally). :lmao:

As said by so many, I truly can't think of one whole album being 'weak' lyrically, as pretty much all her albums have their incredible moments, with some particular stand-outs (like Erotica, LAP, BS, RH, etc.).  Even then, some of her strongest works musically/in terms of production (like COAD), or conceptually (AL), have a handful of (slightly) cringe-worthy lyrical moments. It often felt she was a bit too literal in a handful of her lines during the Richie years.  That being said, the incredible production for those works still makes it all work. And then there's the ones voted as "weak", like LAV, or MDNA...when they actually showcase some of the most cleverly simple lyrical works in pop music, esp. LAV. That's the gold standard in pop lyrics being clever yet accessible, timely yet timeless.

Jazzy Jan    0

:lmao:I also voted Ray of light as the weakest but in reality I love it with a passion as I do most of her albums.  The same as you, sick of it being described as the album Madonna should always look to for inspiration and replicate. She is more than one album and it is ONE of her many masterpieces.  She has delivered such great albums and music for years. Saved me having to pick a weak album by going with that crazy reasoning. 

Voted for Like A Prayer as best only because it is so personal, varied and has many different song topics. Too many to choose from. 

Je5u5    0

Strongest: Like a Prayer, Erotica, Ray of Light, Rebel Heart

Weakest: Like a Virgin, MDNA

Just because I had to pick some. I don't think they are actually weak as a whole. First one is a good pop album, it just usually doesn't really try to go beyond that like the ones that followed. And the second because it has some of her all time lows,even if it's in the middle of some gems.

Deal with it.

PetrusPan    0

haven't voted yet but I am thinking of: 
the 90s albums have strong lyrics...
but in the 2000s, Music has weaker lyrics comparing to COADF & HC
2010; MDNA& RH;  even though I like MDNA more, I think RH has stronger lyrics...

and the 80s; those 4 legendary albums; LAP, LAV, TB, M... and I am not talking about them. :D but I think TB has the strongest among them.