mtzlplk

What went wrong in the UK?

221 posts in this topic

Yes.  

No artist EVER has succeed going solo.  Ever.  

Greed made some think that in this new download era labels were irrelevant,  but it's not.  

Big mistake.  Time to think of how to deal with it. 

8 hours ago, Roland Barthes said:

What happened to Madonna is what happened to Prince when he left Warner, what happened to Michael Jackson when he started his war with Sony, what happened to Mariah when she left Sony, to Janet and so many others. You just can't have hit records without a record company backing you up because the whole system (charts, distribution, media etc...) has been made and built this way. Do you think Gaga would still be here if it wasn't for Interscope pushing her the way they are doing it ? 

She made a lot of money with her 360 deal but it cost her her recording career. She left Warner just when she needed them to promote her after she hit the 50 y/o mark. 

The thing is she tried to use the same marketing methods she was used to with a record company without having one. She tried something new using an old software. 

IMO she should have made MDNA an EP because it's clear she only did that record to tour. She also should have made Rebel Heart available for download once the leaks happened, leaking every single track in HQ. She would have embraced the whole thing and break the album format mold. She probably did not make any money from the album anyway. 

You mean release all the demos and all the material? I actually think it's a great idea. Media would have talked about it for ages, probably some bashing too, but imagine the GP discussing and arguing about which version of a song is the best... Even Gaga stans were doing it for a while when the leaks appeared on the net. But the majority still doesn't download or steam leaks from dubious sites. I bet it would have had some impact if there was an official release of the complete work. 

TIC UP TO N 15 IN UK ITUNES

MY ASS CAN HANDLE IT 

It will re enter to UK Album chart 

I can see TIC selling 500k this decade in UK

1 hour ago, littleGuzman said:

TIC UP TO N 15 IN UK ITUNES

MY ASS CAN HANDLE IT 

It will re enter to UK Album chart 

I can see TIC selling 500k this decade in UK

Yes My QUEEN!!! Up up up UP!

What caused the resurgence on U.K. iTunes? 

Here's what I think is happening:

- It was Celebration, MDNA and GMAYL that killed her career in the UK. Most people didn't know that either was even released. By the time Rebel Heart was released it had been 8 years since her last (known by the GP) album, 6 years since Celebration (her last hit) and the charts had changed by then. If she had promoted Celebration and MDNA, RH would have faired much better. By this time people were simply not interested. If she couldn't be bothered people did the same unfortunately. 

- She left Warner Bros. and signed distribution with Interscope and Live Nation was only interested in the tours hence Super Bowl to sell bums on seats

- She underestimated the power of promotion, did none in Europe and believed that because Sticky & Sweet was the massive tour it was, she was fine just to release a music video

- GMAYL was too Super Bowl specific and should have been a promo only single for that 

- She believed that the Super Bowl would translate into international coverage enough to promote the single and album

- She was too involved with tour rehearsals to care about the album, the tour was selling due to the Super Bowl

- Her albums are now created with the vision of them being translated into world tours (look at the Rebel Heart demo, that was changed so it would work on tour)

- She's now an album and touring artists, her singles career is gone. Sad but true.

- Madonna demographic still want physical products, they do not stream or download as much as they buy CDs from supermarkets. 

- Rebel Heart should not have had different artwork (3 versions), the standard version was the common one available everywhere and it confused people when all the promo had the deluxe version on it.

- Better artwork for the singles

17 hours ago, Arnian said:

It is a classic so you might as well grow used to it lol

I bet millions UK fans streamed the BIM video, so its fitting here.

Its a bona-fide classic and anthem. I would add it to Immaculate Collection. Would boost IC sales.

Perfect after Rescue Me.

17 hours ago, Roland Barthes said:

What happened to Madonna is what happened to Prince when he left Warner, what happened to Michael Jackson when he started his war with Sony, what happened to Mariah when she left Sony, to Janet and so many others. You just can't have hit records without a record company backing you up because the whole system (charts, distribution, media etc...) has been made and built this way. Do you think Gaga would still be here if it wasn't for Interscope pushing her the way they are doing it ? 

She made a lot of money with her 360 deal but it cost her her recording career. She left Warner just when she needed them to promote her after she hit the 50 y/o mark. 

The thing is she tried to use the same marketing methods she was used to with a record company without having one. She tried something new using an old software. 

IMO she should have made MDNA an EP because it's clear she only did that record to tour. She also should have made Rebel Heart available for download once the leaks happened, leaking every single track in HQ. She would have embraced the whole thing and break the album format mold. She probably did not make any money from the album anyway. 

Amen. That is also my opinion when it comes to the question why she stopped being a solid powerhouse in Europe after Celebration. WB with all its flaws (!!!) did push her product left and right and all of that stopped with Interscope who basically is just a distributer for her music...Live Nation is responsible for promotion etc. But LN mostly cares for her brand and merchandising and of course touring revenues so that's where they invested their money.

I really liked your analogy of using an old software on a brand new product and it did not compute :-)

The thing is that her tour figures are getting lower due to the lack of support from radio-record company and media.

1 hour ago, Starman said:

The thing is that her tour figures are getting lower due to the lack of support from radio-record company and media.

I don't think that's true at all. Adele, who is the biggest artist in the world at present has only made $167m from 107 shows (with another 15 shows to go). Madonna made $170m from 82 shows. If she did similar tours with shows into the hundreds, her gross would be massive. Can you imagine the gross of Sticky & Sweet if she did more and more shows. Rebel Heart was an arena only tour, the gross was very good. MDNA was an arena/stadium tour and S&S was predominantly a stadium tour, so this is the reason for the gross depletion.

On jueves, 16 de marzo de 2017 at 1:09 PM, spotlight said:

one Word

LEGACY

7 minutes ago, JWAD said:

I don't think that's true at all. Adele, who is the biggest artist in the world at present has only made $167m from 107 shows (with another 15 shows to go). Madonna made $170m from 82 shows. If she did similar tours with shows into the hundreds, her gross would be massive. Can you imagine the gross of Sticky & Sweet if she did more and more shows. Rebel Heart was an arena only tour, the gross was very good. MDNA was an arena/stadium tour and S&S was predominantly a stadium tour, so this is the reason for the gross depletion.

I agree, if they or she would have wanted more gross income, they would have added nights in Japan, South Corea, other Asian markets, South America, etc. I think she didn't want to get overworked like the MDNA scenario  

56 minutes ago, JWAD said:

Again this tread is about the uk

she did 12(?) sold out arena shows in 06 in london

now she did 1 and a half

1 hour ago, JWAD said:

You can't compare Adele's concert to a Madonna production though. Madonna makes more money because her tickets cost exorbitant amounts due to production costs. Adele's doesn't need to charge as much because of a much lower overhead cost. Her tour figures are starting to slow down in the US, UK and some other European countries, hence the arena tour. Could she still sell one or two stadiums in the US? Probably. But unless she starts doing greatest hits tours, she won't sell as many stadiums like she did with S&S in Europe. She can still sell out stadiums in almost any other country in the world because she hardly ever visits them. RHT sales in America were much slower than MDNAT's not only because of the lack of Super Bowl tie-in, but because she's had no radio hit in the US since 2008, her notorious tardy and the high ticket prices. 

She still is the most bankable solo act in the world but her prime days in touring (commercially) are behind her unless she decides to do a GH tour or somehow manages to have a huge comeback album with a few global hits. 

It could happen. 

4 minutes ago, Starman said:

Again this tread is about the uk

she did 12(?) sold out arena shows in 06 in london

now she did 1 and a half

She didn't do other UK cities in 06 I believe..

9 hours ago, spotlight said:

4.99 and I see other older acts old albums in the top 20. 

I thought everybody had it by now!! Does everyone want 2 copies?? Fucking hell its sold so many, are dogs and cats buying it?

9 minutes ago, Barney said:

I thought everybody had it by now!! Does everyone want 2 copies?? Fucking hell its sold so many, are dogs and cats buying it?

I guess they don't have it digitally on their iPhones.

How come the iTunes version of TIC has longer versions of Borderline and Lucky Star? Pretty sure it used to have a longer version of ITG too.

6 hours ago, littleGuzman said:

one Word

LEGACY

I agree completely. I'd also relevance. 

6 hours ago, Mmmmm said:

4.99 and I see other older acts old albums in the top 20. 

Millennials must be buying this album up cause doesn't everyone and there mama already own a copy?! 

EDIT: Barney beat me to it. I guess legends never die.