Jump to content
MadonnaNation.com Forums
mtzlplk

What went wrong in the UK?

Recommended Posts

XXL    0
16 minutes ago, Kim said:

:thumbsup:

I just know from my own circles and Twitter feed etc that people (as in not loon fans and not haters) just want Madonna to make good pop songs (and for me not to have to tell them to check out Ghosttown or whatever else they haven't even heard of) There's still a lot of love and nostalgia for Madonna in the wider population that these corporate entities have overlooked. 

 

Totally! :clap: 

You know the thing that bugged me a great deal with RH is that Madonna had amazing straight up pop gems such as GT and it was not given a chance on radio. But it goes back to the leaks issue which spoiled things before they even started being unrolled to the public. She had great music with RH and did promote like she hadn't promoted since the COADF days (pre tour I mean) yet many times you'd read this dubious essays composed of mainly one sole assertion: "Madonna is 56"  wth, boring and predictable

Then you look at the younger acts who are given free run on radio and look at how much they last, then you go to Madonna's tour dates and you witness the variety of her fandom and demographic and the affection people have towards her, almost as if she were a family member because she's been in the public domain for so long

If only she could get a little bit more radio airplay and better synchronicty with the promotionl phase she could still do on the charts what she does on the road. Though looking at he figures in the UK post 2010 that Littleguzman posted she still outsold all of her contemporaries that have the big tours like she does, and that's already a good sign

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Kim    0
15 minutes ago, XXL said:

 

the recording deal she now has with Universal at the moment only covers distribution and not actual marketing of the release

I believe they DO have responsibility for the marketing and promo, there's just no real impetus for them to go above and beyond for her as she's not really "their" artist and we don't know the specifics of the deal they made with LN. They may only get a pittance from each sale for all we know.  There will be a budget in place that goes up or down depending on the viability and initial success of the product. In the case of the UK, interviews were co-ordinated from Universal/Interscope offices, they were in charge of the Jonathan Ross appearance etc, First week sales were... ordinary. They're not going to pump money into her, and again, that whole network and history with WB UK, where she was the undisputed 'Queen of the lot' is sadly gone.

As for the actual distribution of the album..... that was crap as well. Major supermarkets getting only 5 copies of the deluxe, HMV having one little stack in the "M" section that you had to go looking for instore on release day or you wouldn't even know it was out etc. Woeful. But we're singing from the same hymn sheet in that without a traditional recording contract, that's just the way it's going to be.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Kim said:

:thumbsup:

I just know from my own circles and Twitter feed etc that people (as in not loon fans and not haters) just want Madonna to make good pop songs (and for me not to have to tell them to check out Ghosttown or whatever else they haven't even heard of) There's still a lot of love and nostalgia for Madonna in the wider population that these corporate entities have overlooked. 

This, back when she released the first audios of MDNA I remember that Falling Free, Love Spent and GGW went Trending Topics on twitter worldwide, a lot of artist and the media was praising songs, the same with the first batch of RH, the GP were praising LFL and GT, sadly UB and BIM got trashed and dragged the reviews but at least it shows that the media and GP cares, they only want good music to support her again.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
cjc    0

The long gap between Hard Candy/Celebration and MDNA did not help matters. 4 minutes and Give It To Me were popular with the general public.Miles Away much less so.The song Celebration seemed popular at first but did not have a long life so the last big connection with the non-fans was in the summer of 2008.

Then her big comeback after her longest break away we get an interview with Graham Norton to promote WE. Radio started to play GMAYL but after the low chart position following the I-Tunes fiasco they used that to claim she was not popular anymore.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Confessit    0
7 hours ago, cjc said:

The long gap between Hard Candy/Celebration and MDNA did not help matters. 4 minutes and Give It To Me were popular with the general public.Miles Away much less so.The song Celebration seemed popular at first but did not have a long life so the last big connection with the non-fans was in the summer of 2008.

Then her big comeback after her longest break away we get an interview with Graham Norton to promote WE. Radio started to play GMAYL but after the low chart position following the I-Tunes fiasco they used that to claim she was not popular anymore.

She was far more interested in talking about WE and promoting that than the album, then she went straight from Super Bowl into tour rehearsals.

There was huge anticipation for the Super Bowl but GMAYL killed it off.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Arnian    0
15 hours ago, Iconic Fetus said:

This, back when she released the first audios of MDNA I remember that Falling Free, Love Spent and GGW went Trending Topics on twitter worldwide, a lot of artist and the media was praising songs, the same with the first batch of RH, the GP were praising LFL and GT, sadly UB and BIM got trashed and dragged the reviews but at least it shows that the media and GP cares, they only want good music to support her again.

Not to nitpick but UB got praised by most critics, it was BIM that was hit or miss with some but UB was consistently one of the better reviewed tracks. UB to this day is one of the absolute bangers from RH.   Talk about a missed hit opportunity there. Its still my favorite song from RH.

These threads about her career and future always boil down to the same points. She corrected a lot of fan complaints with Rebel Heart it was the outside elements that worked against her. The leaks, capegate, record company not letting her do her original vision of a Double Album, and promotional mistakes.

I hope she gets a fair shake with the next release. I mean is it too much to ask not to have the lead single leak months ahead of time this round?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
dollhouse    0
On 13. maaliskuuta 2017 at 4:08 PM, Orion said:

With LFL and GT she was being classy and mature yet nobody cared (don't see how the RH era apart from BIM can be seen as "trying to appeal to kids", it was a very classy era to me). 

And to be fair, "the tryhard-kids appealing" BIM 1. became her first streaming hit 2. it's the main reason her Youtube views are now decent 3. became her first HOT 100 entry since Gmayl 4. became the only thing that looked like a hit since 2012

Thank you :thumbsup:

YAS!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Arnian    0

Some Madonna fans need to stop taking themselves so seriously and just enjoy BIM.  It's already a Madonna classic now so might as well suck it up  lol

Plus it's the one thing that kept RH from being a true disaster with keeping the HOT 100 record going and the YouTube sucess with the video

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

TIC is at n 47 in Uk ITunes  

 

yass

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Nick    0
6 hours ago, Arnian said:

Not to nitpick but UB got praised by most critics, it was BIM that was hit or miss with some but UB was consistently one of the better reviewed tracks. UB to this day is one of the absolute bangers from RH.   Talk about a missed hit opportunity there. Its still my favorite song from RH.

Agree that UB could've been a big hit with an amazing music video & probably if she was a younger artist.  If given a fair chance, can imagine more "millennials" streaming it, along with being played on pop radio stations.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
M-D-N-A    0

Ageism, same shit happened to Kylie. Even you are the members of pop royalty, you still don't have the privilege to be played on the Radio 1. 

But you guys should also ask her manager, it seems he don't give a ****, I bet he is still yelling is all about tours which make MONEY. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
karbatal    0
12 hours ago, littleGuzman said:

TIC is at n 47 in Uk ITunes  

 

yass

Case closed. there is NOTHING WRONG in the UK: 

except Boris Johnson, and that other man with the big mouth from that fascist party. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
dollhouse    0

Are Steps no.1 yet?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Mmmmm    0
5 minutes ago, dollhouse said:

Are Steps no.1 yet?

Are they number 1 on streaming charts yet?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Jitterbug    0

Oh dear this thread is a mad house. Some crazy lunatic rebutting himself, saying that a certain user had said GMAYL is an emotional song, and Kylie being more successful :banghead:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Kim    0
18 hours ago, Arnian said:

Some Madonna fans need to stop taking themselves so seriously and just enjoy BIM.  It's already a Madonna classic now so might as well suck it up  lol

Plus it's the one thing that kept RH from being a true disaster with keeping the HOT 100 record going and the YouTube sucess with the video

Except this thread is about the UK where BIM might as well not even exist. Classic my arse.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

People listen to & buy what they are being told to.

Madonna not only doe not have a record company to support her but there has been a vicious campaign against her to diminish her achievements, the GP think what they are being told to think just like they listen to and buy hat they are told to. With no label support and distribution (remember that it is Boy Toy inc that is in charge of that. that's what i learnt when the Vinyl edition of Rebel Heart was pushed back). I'm pretty sure if Warner (with Madonna's authorization) would allow a tv show or a commercial to use EVEN Give it to me, it would go top 10. She used to manage to get old singles chartyears after their release in the UK. For example i'm pretty sure that if something like "La isla bonita" was used in a popular movie or tv show, True blue would zip back up the UK charts. In the last years Madonna as a person has been more exposed than her music, there used to be a balance between the two. Thing is Labels and record companies don't act like they used to. Even if she wold go back to Warner it won't be the same because they don't promote their artists the way they used to. On the other hand they can make sure her streaming does better. 

Madonna is at fault to because she thought she could deal without a real recording contract and a day to day manager AND a publicist when all these young artists have big teams behind them.

And i think that what went wrong to is that MDNA was a terrible album that a lot of people bought and it turned them them off Madonna and Hard Candy was a good album that sold very well but that was wrongly called bad. AND as far as Rebel Heart goes, when the album was finally released, people already had it and more than what was on the actual album (and personally i think that some final mixes are awful compared to the glorious ones of the demos...i know same ol' same ol'). If illegal downloading was counted, Rebel Heart would have been #1 for 3 weeks around the world. If Living for love was released AS A SINGLE when it leaked it would have been #1 too. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Arnian    0
4 hours ago, Kim said:

Except this thread is about the UK where BIM might as well not even exist. Classic my arse.

 

It is a classic so you might as well grow used to it lol

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
mnino    0
1 hour ago, Starman said:

Ed sheran has warners on his side now though

Ed is their new Madonna...

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
blowjob    0
5 hours ago, Roland Barthes said:

 

And i think that what went wrong to is that MDNA was a terrible album that a lot of people bought and it turned them them off Madonna and Hard Candy was a good album that sold very well but that was wrongly called bad. AND as far as Rebel Heart goes, when the album was finally released, people already had it and more than what was on the actual album (and personally i think that some final mixes are awful compared to the glorious ones of the demos...i know same ol' same ol'). If illegal downloading was counted, Rebel Heart would have been #1 for 3 weeks around the world. If Living for love was released AS A SINGLE when it leaked it would have been #1 too. 

Agree 100% re: MDNA and RH. HC was a bad album too though.... But this is still Madonna, and even her worst albums have a few excellent tracks! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What happened to Madonna is what happened to Prince when he left Warner, what happened to Michael Jackson when he started his war with Sony, what happened to Mariah when she left Sony, to Janet and so many others. You just can't have hit records without a record company backing you up because the whole system (charts, distribution, media etc...) has been made and built this way. Do you think Gaga would still be here if it wasn't for Interscope pushing her the way they are doing it ? 

She made a lot of money with her 360 deal but it cost her her recording career. She left Warner just when she needed them to promote her after she hit the 50 y/o mark. 

The thing is she tried to use the same marketing methods she was used to with a record company without having one. She tried something new using an old software. 

IMO she should have made MDNA an EP because it's clear she only did that record to tour. She also should have made Rebel Heart available for download once the leaks happened, leaking every single track in HQ. She would have embraced the whole thing and break the album format mold. She probably did not make any money from the album anyway. 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
mnino    0
15 minutes ago, Roland Barthes said:

What happened to Madonna is what happened to Prince when he left Warner, what happened to Michael Jackson when he started his war with Sony, what happened to Mariah when she left Sony, to Janet and so many others. You just can't have hit records without a record company backing you up because the whole system (charts, distribution, media etc...) has been made and built this way. Do you think Gaga would still be here if it wasn't for Interscope pushing her the way they are doing it ? 

She made a lot of money with her 360 deal but it cost her her recording career. She left Warner just when she needed them to promote her after she hit the 50 y/o mark. 

The thing is she tried to use the same marketing methods she was used to with a record company without having one. She tried something new using an old software. 

IMO she should have made MDNA an EP because it's clear she only did that record to tour. She also should have made Rebel Heart available for download once the leaks happened, leaking every single track in HQ. She would have embraced the whole thing and break the album format mold. She probably did not make any money from the album anyway. 

 

 

 

tumblr_nxnbvpAW4l1u3eoyoo1_500.gif

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×