MadonnaNation.com Forums
material_boy

POLL: What should have been the third single from "I'm Breathless?"

What should have been "I'm Breathless"'s third single?  

124 members have voted

1. 1. What should have been "I'm Breathless"'s third single?

• He's a Man
    • Sooner or Later
    • I'm Going Bananas
    • Cry Baby
    • Something to Remember
    • Back in Business
    • More
    • What Can You Lose?
    • Now I'm Following You

I was going to stick to studio albums and go straight to "Erotica" next, but I thought the "'I'm Breathless' is a studio album!" dead-enders would yell at me :lol:

Now here's hoping this goes smoother than the "Like a Prayer" thread ... :dazed:

It's 1990. Madonna is the biggest star in the world and "I'm Breathless" is her second hit album in just two years. After two hit singles -- "Vogue" and "Hanky Panky" -- and the Blond Ambition Tour dominating the summer box office, Sire Records has asked you to pick the album's next single release. This will be a major release, complete with music video. What's your choice?

Previous rounds:

This is a tough one! "He's a Man" is a killer track (one of her best and least-appreciated opening tracks, and the most "Breathless" of the album's Madonna and Leonard tracks). "Sooner or Later" is iconic. "Something to Remember" is such a sultry little number that deserved more attention that it got.

But my vote goes for "Sooner or Later."

I know there were plans to released "Now I'm Following You" as the album's third single -- even getting far enough along that promo singles were pressed and remixes to be commissioned, but I've never understood why they'd have wanted to go with "NIFY" over any of the three songs I mentioned above. Maybe the label was worried about releasing another down tempo track after "Oh Father" struggled, but I think "SOL" could have been a hit.

Something to Remember

Something To Remember gets my vote. What a song!!

25 minutes ago, Orion said:

Back in Business

Great minds think alike !   I love this song so much.  So many fantastic songs to choose from though. 

I'm Breathless is such a stunning album full of great tracks that could have been singles.  Madonna was the biggest star in the world by a mile at that time and people would have embraced so many of the amazing tracks on this album.  Should have been more singles released. 

1 minute ago, jazzyjan said:

Great minds think alike !   I love this song so much.  So many fantastic songs to choose from though. 

I'm Breathless is such a stunning album full of great tracks that could have been singles.  Madonna was the biggest star in the world by a mile at that time and people would have embraced so many of the amazing tracks on this album.  Should have been more singles released. 

:thumbsup:

I adore I'm Breathless, every single track is a gem. Something to Remember is one of her best ballads, He's a Man proves Madonna could have been a perfect Bond girl...and Back in Business is the hit that got away, simply brilliant! her vocals shine in it 

Sooner or Later because of the magnificent Oscars performance.

I do like I'm breathless songs, but I can't seem to get into it as an album as a whole. And I've tried, you know I have! 😜

12 minutes ago, Pedro said:

I do like I'm breathless songs, but I can't seem to get into it as an album as a whole. And I've tried, you know I have! 😜

Pedro, she was so amazing at that Oscars singing Sooner or Later.  Every year I watch the Oscars and there has NEVER been a performance as great as Madonna's was since.   Don't worry about not being able to get into the album.  It is a required taste but as you said, you like a lot of the songs.  So many gems there to choose from. 

3 minutes ago, jazzyjan said:

Pedro, she was so amazing at that Oscars singing Sooner or Later.  Every year I watch the Oscars and there has NEVER been a performance as great as Madonna's was since.   Don't worry about not being able to get into the album.  It is a required taste but as you said, you like a lot of the songs.  So many gems there to choose from. 

:thumbsup: 

I think it is my favorite performance ever by her, it is just perfection from start to finish, when you think it is going to stop, it keeps going into a more elaborated and better part of the performance  :bow:

I'll give I'm Breathless one spin again this weekend and let you know how it goes.  😂

1 hour ago, material_boy said:

This is a tough one! "He's a Man" is a killer track (one of her best and least-appreciated opening tracks, and the most "Breathless" of the album's Madonna and Leonard tracks). "Sooner or Later" is iconic. "Something to Remember" is such a sultry little number that deserved more attention that it got.

But my vote goes for "Sooner or Later."

I know there were plans to released "Now I'm Following You" as the album's third single -- even getting far enough along that promo singles were pressed and remixes to be commissioned, but I've never understood why they'd have wanted to go with "NIFY" over any of the three songs I mentioned above. Maybe the label was worried about releasing another down tempo track after "Oh Father" struggled, but I think "SOL" could have been a hit.

maybe a small one.

I know STR is the more accessible ballad for pop radio, but I would have loved SOL to be a proper single. Honestly surprised it wasn't the second single.

15 minutes ago, dollhouse said:

maybe a small one.

I never said otherwise. There was only real bona fide hit on that album, and it was tacked on the end at the last minute.

STR was the most radio friendly of the bunch and because it is the name of her ballad compilation I would have gone with that and Sooner or Later as a B-Side. 

Something to Remember is my favorite song on the album but I voted for Back in Business.

I really don't know this one. I have several options for very different reasons. 

It is my no1 fave album.... hard to choose... but first of all, Hanky Panky deserved a proper video.

Something to Remember might be a single as ballad...  Back in Business is real fun! But I don't think the public would like it or not... 

I always dream a video for He's a Man... This song gives me multiple orgasms!.. 

my sister picked up this album at a thrift shop the other day !! good album 

As far as charts go, picked BIB because it's pretty likable. 

STR would've made a good third single as well.

Kinda hard to know for sure......

4 hours ago, Pedro said:

Yes! Imagine with THAT performance and 'where' she was at in her career mixed in the chart system we have today! :blink:. Viral views alone would skyrocket that song to the top 5 at the minimum!

Sooner or Later, she already was performing it on tour, did the big performance at the Oscars so it seemed the most to profit from.

Something to Remember is honestly the stand-out (minus Vogue) from the whole album; one of her best deliveries and ballads to date!

Back In Business!

I've been listening to IB a lot lately.

This really is a hard one....as "I'm Breathless" is one of my favorite albums.  It's so sultry, raw, yet silky.  Her vocals were fantastic.  I think her voice and attitude fit this style perfectly.  My niece had her bachelorette party at my house (a 40's theme/flapper girl).  I put on IB and everyone loved it!  

As for picking a favorite....I'd go with one of the more up-tempo tracks (i.e. More, Back In Business)?  Hard to say how the GP would have accepted anything at the time.  But, these songs/album are a classic !  Not to mention that flawless "Sooner Or Later" Oscar performance.  :bow: