Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
XXL

Angela Merkel rejects Erdogan’s ‘Nazi’ claims

10 posts in this topic

https://www.ft.com/content/20ee7b34-56df-365b-bfd6-be5a450946d8

Angela Merkel rejects Erdogan’s ‘Nazi’ claims

Chancellor Angela Merkel on Monday firmly rejected Turkish president Recep Tayyip Erdogan’s accusations of “Nazi” practices in a growing row over the cancellation of political rallies by Turkish ministers in Germany. Steffen Seibert, Ms Merkel’s spokesman, said comparisons between democratic Germany and the Nazi regime played down Nazi crimes. But, in a clear effort to calm the rising tensions between Berlin and Ankara, he also appealed for calm in bilateral ties.

The dispute concerns decisions by local officials in Germany to withdraw permission for weekend rallies in Gaggenau, in the Baden Württemberg region, and Cologne, in which ministers from Mr Erdogan’s government had been expected to urge the Turkish community to vote in a controversial constitutional referendum and back plans to boost the presidential powers. A third event in Leverkusen, near Cologne, went ahead on Sunday.

Mr Erdogan told a rally in Istanbul on Sunday:

The Germans aren’t letting our friends [ministers] talk . . . Well Germany, you’re no democracy, you’re not even close. Your actions are no different from what the Nazis used to do. You’re giving us lessons on democracy, then you’re stopping a Turkish minister from speaking?

Mr Erdogan is himself reportedly considering a visit to Germany, where 1.5m Turkish citizens live, including many of the president’s supporters. In the 2015 parliamentary election his AKP party won about 60 per cent of the local vote.

The Turkish politicians’ appearances have triggered calls in Germany for a ban on such events, on the grounds that democratic rights in Turkey have been widely attacked, especially in the crackdown that has followed last summer’s failed coup.

But Mr Seibert said the government was not “working on any kind of travel bans”.

He also said Berlin was continuing to press for the early release of Deniz Yucel, a Turkish-German journalist working for the newspaper Die Welt, who has been detained for questioning in a police investigation into alleged support for terrorism. Mr Yucel, who published the contents of confidential government emails, maintains his innocence. Turkish foreign minister Mevlüt Çavuşoğlu is now due to visit Berlin on Wednesday for hurriedly-arranged talks with his opposite number, Sigmar Gabriel.

The arrogance of this man is astounding

laughing out loud loudly about german politicians.

They themselves compare Erdogan to Hitler, even the german media.

They forgot one thing. There is noone more evil in world history than Hitler

With comparing they make the Holocaust seem to be very ordinary thing.

I am deeply sad for the jews who lost their lives with such stupid comparisons.

Before Merkel critises turkish media and politicians, she should have a look at her own politicians and media.

This is just a joke.

On 9.3.2017 at 7:46 PM, jaron said:

laughing out loud loudly about german politicians.

They themselves compare Erdogan to Hitler, even the german media.

They forgot one thing. There is noone more evil in world history than Hitler

With comparing they make the Holocaust seem to be very ordinary thing.

I am deeply sad for the jews who lost their lives with such stupid comparisons.

Before Merkel critises turkish media and politicians, she should have a look at her own politicians and media.

This is just a joke.

It is a joke that someone is still coming up with the Nazi claim. It's so boring, so old. No German really cares about those claims anymore because it's so see through. You have no arguments, you call a German a nazi. i have been called a nazi so many times in my life and have been made responsible for the holocaust although I was not alive when it happened, my parents were not even born. It's ridiculous. And people are not comparing Erdogan to Hitler because of the Holocaust, they compare them because of their crazy behaviour and delusions of grandeur. It's no secret that Erdogan wants to be sultan. At least this "job" does not require a university degree. To become Turkish president you actually need one. Oops, that's a kinda uncomfortable issue. For him. Erdogan is the joke.

40 minutes ago, Raider of the lost Ark said:

It is a joke that someone is still coming up with the Nazi claim. It's so boring, so old. No German really cares about those claims anymore because it's so see through. You have no arguments, you call a German a nazi. i have been called a nazi so many times in my life and have been made responsible for the holocaust although I was not alive when it happened, my parents were not even born. It's ridiculous. And people are not comparing Erdogan to Hitler because of the Holocaust, they compare them because of their crazy behaviour and delusions of grandeur. It's no secret that Erdogan wants to be sultan. At least this "job" does not require a university degree. To become Turkish president you actually need one. Oops, that's a kinda uncomfortable issue. For him. Erdogan is the joke.

:thumbsup:

It is so obvious, I'm amazed that one would even have to elaborate on it in the year 2017. Erdogan is paper thin transparent. Do Italians have to be faulted and reminded for Mussolini? Do all the Italians wanted Mussolini? Let alone Italians born long after the facts? Do you condemn English or French people as a whole because England and France ruling elites savagely pilfered from Africa in the 19th century? Etc etc

Erdogan thinks he's not to be held accountable but he doesn't realise he's so wrong. Throwing insults around based on previous historical facts without contextualising them while he's showing similar behaviour to the one he's criticising and weaponising in his blackmail gimmick shows how limited he actually is

On 3/9/2017 at 8:46 PM, jaron said:

Merkel has every right to criticize Erdogan. Unlike her, he has turned Turkey into a medieval wanna be Ottoman empire, erased all their freedoms (freedom of speech, gathering, press etc.) and has islamized the nation enormously to the point of no return. Only Istanbul still looks (relatively) European... Not to mention that he has practically killed the Turkish intellectuals overnight under the pretext they collaborated to overturn him, we talk about thousands teachers, professors, state servants etc... all fired, some in jail. I do not think this man gets criticized as he should. All EU - Turkey relations should have been immediately frozen.

I really hope EU - Turkey realtions to freeze. EU plays with Turkey for over 60 years...

oh oh you poor one being called nazi all the time. First of all, its not the turkish media or the politicans called the nazi comparisons. It was the german media, especially Bild and Welt. But yes, they can do those comparisons right ? Because they are free and can express their shit whenever they want. You dont need to cry now that you are blamed as a nazi where as your media makes since years turkey bashing news and Sarrazins, AFD and all the others gained so many popularity in this country. So whart else  ? Right wing gains votes without any end, and this has nothing to do with nazi sympathy ? Yeah right, when I read all those comments AFD makes, I just could vomit.

Anyway, we are all free to express our minds, no ?!

Your media? Wait. I thought you are living in Germany? I thought you are German with Turkish descent? Don't tell me you have double citizenship. One of the worst ideas ever to pass the Bundestag. A liberal idea gone wrong and I hope they get rid of it. The concept failed badly.

And bringing up the AFD and Sarrazin. Two extreme examples. Populist as they come. We can all agree that what they have to say is nationalistic nonsense and does not serve any other purpose than getting into parliament (where those lazy assholes never really work and usually lose their seats 4 years later) and money in Sarrazins case. BUT it cannot be denied that things go horribly wrong when you take a look at parts of Kreuzberg and Neukölln where parallel societies have been created. Not only by Turkish people, by the way. The former mayor of Neukölln, Buschkowsky, described the situation and reasons why immigration goes wrong very well. And it all comes down to language. The fact that so many women do hardly speak any German although they live here for ages is unbelievable. Of course it is impossible for them to become a proper member of society. Of course this is exactly what many of their husbands want to prevent anyhow. The ridiculous thing is that many Turkish people in Berlin, in Germany are way more conservative and religious than they are in Turkey. It all goes back to the second phase of immigration coming from Turkey. No longer the well educated and qualified "Gastarbeiter" basically coming from Istanbul. With the second phase there came the families from those little villages from the mountains wanting a better life (understandable) but not wanting to become part of the German society. And then over the years bringing more and more family to Germany. And the results in the Turkish community are very obvious. On one side you have the well integrated, the doctors, the lawyers, the entrepreneurs. They don't want to be seen dead anywhere near Neukölln. They live in the "better" areas, their children go to schools where German children are in the majority. On the other you have those who never leave their district and only surround themselves with other members of the Turkish community. Where Turkish is the language they speak at home. And in result those children have difficulties to keep up in school. In schools where hardly any German student can be found. The very reason why Berlin always seems to fail at those comparisons among federal states. Berlin has some of the top schools and many of the worst schools. Coincidence? Not.

Sorry for having a rant. I'm actually more pissed off at German lawmakers for way too many years being too liberal about those issues. Always giving this hopeful attitude "it gets better". No it's not. It's time to set rules or at least make use of existing laws. Germany has been a welcoming country and certainly will remain one. It is in the very interest of Germany. There are so many branches you cannot find any workers anymore. But the exploitation of the system must stop. No one expects immigrants to change their religion or faith when they come here. But immigrants have to respect the laws and freedoms of the country they immigrate to. Immigrants have to adapt to the country they go to and not vice versa. There is no "picking cherries". There are rules and laws  that apply for EVERY ONE living in a country. This is what a society defines after all. I'm sick and tired of those stories about prayer rooms in schools or teachers or students not participating in swimming lessons at school because of their religion. This needs needs to stop. Not only because it is plain wrong but also it gives ammunition to those right wing people at the AFD.

Oh, lord. Turkish propaganda seemingly worked well judging by this thread. :blink:

1 hour ago, Cookie said:

Oh, lord. Turkish propaganda seemingly worked well judging by this thread. :blink:

Don't worry, it's only Jaron. 

Turkey threatens a European country (Greece) every goddamn day and the European community does nothing .Erdogan plays the refugees card because he can .Think about Chech republic ,Poland and Hungary, they have built walls and not receiving not one refugee from Syria ,did Europe sanctioned them ? Nooo! Far wing parties are everywhere in Europe ,nazi sympathizers are most in Greece that suffered the most by Nazi  Germany and France .Germany of course kissed Turkey's ass for years and now has a problem with Erdogan cause he doesn't play by the rules.Talking about hipocrasy!