material_boy

POLL: What should have been the fifth single from "Like a Prayer?"

What should have been "Like a Prayer"'s fifth single?   120 members have voted

1. 1. What should have been "Like a Prayer"'s fifth single?

• Love Song
    • Till Death Do Us Part
    • Promise to Try
    • Dear Jessie / Oh Father (each released in areas where the other had already been released)
    • Keep It Together
    • Spanish Eyes
    • Act of Contrition

Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

72 posts in this topic

11 hours ago, Bretticus said:

Was Australia the only country that got all 6 singles released in one way or another? We had LAP, EY, Cherish, then Oh Father, Dear Jessie and then Vogue/Keep It Together.

Oh, did Australia get both "Oh Father" and "Dear Jessie" in 1989? I didn't know that! I guess that I always just assumed "OF"'s Aussie chart #s were from a 1996 release.

Till Death Do Us Part should have been the 5th.

6 hours ago, material_boy said:

Oh, did Australia get both "Oh Father" and "Dear Jessie" in 1989? I didn't know that! I guess that I always just assumed "OF"'s Aussie chart #s were from a 1996 release.

Yes we got both, but in 1990! Both flopped though :( 

In the UK I was expecting Oh Father to be be released early 1990. Then in HMV Oxford Street in February I bought an import of Keep It Together so I thought this might be the next single. The following day I read in Smash Hits magazine Vogue was the next single. I wonder if the low position of Oh Father in USA changed any plans. Maybe some Double A side singles should have been released.

On 09/03/2017 at 2:51 AM, material_boy said:

We got OF in November 1989 and then DJ in March 1990 (sorry to contradict Bretticus below).  OF peaked at #59 and DJ at #51.  I believe we were the only territory to have all six singles officially released (I suspect NZ is in the same boat as us).  It was the same with "Erotica" - we ended up with all six international singles released here.  I have to say, though, that KIT was largely ignored in favour of "Vogue" (unlike the ITG/Angel scenario, in which "Angel" was a hit in its own right - just nowhere near as big as ITG).  "Vogue" was MASSIVE, but KIT was barely given any airplay at all.

No one has mentioned that Madonna wrote "Vogue" specifically as a B-side for KIT, so clearly, Warners knew they'd be releasing it far enough in advance for Madonna to write and record a completely new song for the B-side (which they subsequently rejected, for obvious reasons!).  I don't think it's a case of them rush releasing it because of OF, but they probably released "Vogue" slightly earlier than intended because of the short chart life of OF.

1 hour ago, Carta said:

We got OF in November 1989 and then DJ in March 1990 (sorry to contradict Bretticus below).  OF peaked at #59 and DJ at #51.  I believe we were the only territory to have all six singles officially released (I suspect NZ is in the same boat as us).  It was the same with "Erotica" - we ended up with all six international singles released here.  I have to say, though, that KIT was largely ignored in favour of "Vogue" (unlike the ITG/Angel scenario, in which "Angel" was a hit in its own right - just nowhere near as big as ITG).  "Vogue" was MASSIVE, but KIT was barely given any airplay at all.

No one has mentioned that Madonna wrote "Vogue" specifically as a B-side for KIT, so clearly, Warners knew they'd be releasing it far enough in advance for Madonna to write and record a completely new song for the B-side (which they subsequently rejected, for obvious reasons!).  I don't think it's a case of them rush releasing it because of OF, but they probably released "Vogue" slightly earlier than intended because of the short chart life of OF.

We were really spoiled in Oz for Madonna in 1989 and 1990, so many singles! 

On 7. maaliskuuta 2017 at 8:21 PM, S.E.X. said:

natalia-kills-gif_2015-03-19_04-41-18.giLike a Prayer is her best song and it's better than Vogue!

No. Vogue has been voted as her "signature song".

On 8. maaliskuuta 2017 at 6:21 AM, Willie said:

This album did get tricky after Cherish. I  put KIT, because that song NEEDED a video, and it will have been a great song/video to say goodbye to the 80's / hello  to the 90's - and as someone posted her with the dark bob hair - PERFECTION!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The Blonde Ambition performance was WILDLY used as KIT video.

AND it was shown REGULARLY also in MTV Europe as the 5th single from LAP.

On 6. maaliskuuta 2017 at 8:59 PM, material_boy said:

"KIT" was only released in the U.S. and Japan, and it had a double-A side release with "Vogue" in Australia. The vast majority of the world never saw a fifth single from the album.

The US and Japan are the biggest music markets in the world.

And it had a release in Canada, Australia, New Zealand, (Italy?) too. 

1 hour ago, dollhouse said:

The Blonde Ambition performance was WILDLY used as KIT video.

AND it was shown REGULARLY also in MTV Europe as the 5th single from LAP.

That's not even possible! :lol: 

"Keep it Together" was released in January 1990 in the few countries that saw its release. "Vogue" was released in March. The BAT started April 13. Yokohama -- the first show recorded for release, and the first show from which a live video could be made -- was April 26. "I'm Breathless" was released May 22.

Madonna was such a phenomenon at the time that it's possible "KIT" got airplay on radio in 89/90 the same way "Where's the Party" did in 86/87 -- and "KIT" did hit a few European charts on the strength of import sales of the U.S. single -- but the idea that "KIT" was promoted as a single to "LAP" after the release of "Vogue" and well into Warner's "I'm Breathless" campaign is nonsense. Chances are that MTV Europe just picked up whatever BAT clips they could and ran them, be it "KIT" or "Hanky Panky" or "Holiday" or "Express Yourself."

1 hour ago, dollhouse said:

The US and Japan are the biggest music markets in the world.

And it had a release in Canada, Australia, New Zealand, (Italy?) too. 

Not having this argument again. Read the rest of the thread, honey.

Honestly, she should have done a video for Keep It Together during the rehearsals for BAT. Kind of like a BTS video with her and her dancers fooling around and practicing the choreography and stuff.

US

1. Like a Prayer

2. Express Yourself

3. Cherish

4. Oh Father

5. TDDUP

WORLDWIDE

6. Keep It Together

AUSTRALIA/JAPAN ONL7

7. Pray For Spanish Eyes

On 10/03/2017 at 4:23 AM, Bretticus said:

We were really spoiled in Oz for Madonna in 1989 and 1990, so many singles! 

*Sigh* I wish it was still like that here. Nowadays, all we get are a couple copies of Madonna's latest album shoved under the M section in music stores and that's it. Maybe 1 or 2 radio plays if we are lucky.

43 minutes ago, Jitterbug said:

*Sigh* I wish it was still like that here. Nowadays, all we get are a couple copies of Madonna's latest album shoved under the M section in music stores and that's it. Maybe 1 or 2 radio plays if we are lucky.

All of the local JB HiFi stores had RH posters on display.  Did that not happen in other cities?

We went through a period in the 90s and 00s of getting pretty much everything that was released internationally.  It would have been good if they'd done that for "The Look of Love" and "Spotlight".  I doubt that TLOL would have been a Top 10 (Top 20, probably), but "Spotlight" would definitely have made it.  It got a lot of airplay here (which was really unusual, given that back then, only official singles were serviced to radio stations in Australia).

40 minutes ago, Carta said:

All of the local JB HiFi stores had RH posters on display.  Did that not happen in other cities?

We went through a period in the 90s and 00s of getting pretty much everything that was released internationally.  It would have been good if they'd done that for "The Look of Love" and "Spotlight".  I doubt that TLOL would have been a Top 10 (Top 20, probably), but "Spotlight" would definitely have made it.  It got a lot of airplay here (which was really unusual, given that back then, only official singles were serviced to radio stations in Australia).

I think Brisbane had it. The other cities but some did except for 1 which had 2 posters but they gave me 1 the day it came out and the other they kept on the back wall with other posters of other artists which I got just before the tour came to OZ. It's a shame as she is a superstar and should be treated like one. I thought people were willing to pay extremely high prices to see Madonna and shows would sell out in minutes but I overestimated that. She had that power back in 93 as $200 would be equal to $500 in this day and age.

41 minutes ago, Carta said:

I was very young when Hung Up and I remembered hearing that every 5 min on the radio. Same as Sorry. I heard Get Together a couple of times as well as Jump.

On 17/03/2017 at 5:44 PM, LHakaLH said:

US

1. Like a Prayer

2. Express Yourself

3. Cherish

4. Oh Father

5. TDDUP

WORLDWIDE

6. Keep It Together

AUSTRALIA/JAPAN ONL7

7. Pray For Spanish Eyes

Spanish Eyes would have gone nowhere in OZ/Japan. It would have been an Oh Father/Dear Jessie pt 2.

10 minutes ago, Jitterbug said:

I think Brisbane had it. The other cities but some did except for 1 which had 2 posters but they gave me 1 the day it came out and the other they kept on the back wall with other posters of other artists which I got just before the tour came to OZ. It's a shame as she is a superstar and should be treated like one. I thought people were willing to pay extremely high prices to see Madonna and shows would sell out in minutes but I overestimated that. She had that power back in 93 as $200 would be equal to $500 in this day and age.

There were only 1000 Gold Circle tickets available per show back in 1993, though.  All other tickets were $60 (so in Brisbane, for example, she sold 1000 tickets at $200 each and around 44 000 tickets at $60 each - a small number were available for $50, which were called "Party Pit" tickets or something like that, but they were released very close to the show, when they figured out that they could squeeze more people in somewhere).

If only the very closest tickets to the stage were $500 and the rest were (say) $150 (the equivalent of $60 in 1993), she would have sold out multiple shows very easily.  People just weren't willing to pay $500 for floor and lower tier seats (all of the cheaper categories sold out very quickly - it was only the expensive seats that moved "slowly").

In how many countries Oh Father was released?

and Dear Jessie was just the UK and Australia, right?

21 minutes ago, dollhouse said:

In how many countries Oh Father was released?

and Dear Jessie was just the UK and Australia, right?

"Oh Father" charted in Australia, Canada, the US and France back in 1989/1990, but it's highly likely that it was released in other territories at the time, too.

DJ was released in several European countries as well as Australia.  It charted in Australia, Austria, Germany, Ireland, UK, Netherlands, Spain and Switzerland.

3 hours ago, Carta said:

"Oh Father" charted in Australia, Canada, the US and France back in 1989/1990, but it's highly likely that it was released in other territories at the time, too.

DJ was released in several European countries as well as Australia.  It charted in Australia, Austria, Germany, Ireland, UK, Netherlands, Spain and Switzerland.

ok, did some countries have only 3 singles then LAP, EY, C?

I dislike the idea of releasing some singles in select territories at the same time of others. It's just messy to me.

The era should have gone like that:

First Single: Like a Prayer

Second Single: Express Yourself

Third Single: Cherish

Fourth Single: Oh Father (fuck Dear Jessie)

Fifth Single: Keep It Together