MadonnaNation.com Forums
material_boy

POLL: What should have been the fifth single from "Like a Prayer?"

What should have been "Like a Prayer"'s fifth single?  

120 members have voted

1. 1. What should have been "Like a Prayer"'s fifth single?

• Love Song
    • Till Death Do Us Part
    • Promise to Try
    • Dear Jessie / Oh Father (each released in areas where the other had already been released)
    • Keep It Together
    • Spanish Eyes
    • Act of Contrition

S.E.X.    0
3 hours ago, vocalism said:

As many said, KIT was very much a single. Ignoring that, I would go with TDDUP. I honestly think LAP is one of those albums where they picked all of the obvious singles, but TDDUP has always been a favorite. As far as confessional/personal singles go, it might have done better than OF.

In Encyclopedia Madonnaica it says that David Fincher was the one who begged Madonna to release Oh Father as a single because he wanted to direct a video for it so badly.

My guess is that either Spanish Eyes or TDDUP were originally planned as single in place of Oh Father. Including TDDUP AND Holiday as b-sides to Dear Jessie always seemed very odd to me. I can totally see why Holiday would be included (although Santa Baby would have been much smarter given that the single was released around the Holiday season) but TDDUP???

I know it's a reach but I think they put it on there as a nod to it being the single that was originally supposed to be released, maybe as a double A-Side with Spanish Eyes which would have been released in different territories?

If I were to choose the LAP Singles it would have went like this:

1. Like a Prayer (b/w Act of Contrition)

2. Express Yourself (b/w Love Song)

3. Till Death Do Us Part (b/w Supernatural)

4. Cherish (released around the holiday season, b/w Santa Baby)

5. Oh Father (released in Europe, US and UK, b/w Dear Jessie)

5. Spanish Eyes (released in Latin America, Spain, Italy and Japan, b/w Promise to Try)

6. Keep It Together

Fuck Dear Jessie, honestly.

Robin    0
3 hours ago, jazzyjan said:

This is a hard one.  Like a Prayer is so brilliant and personal but singles are hard to pick due to them being extremely personal.  The first 3 singles were obvious and they had mass appeal to both fans and the General public.  I loved O'h Father as the fourth single and am taking that out of the equation.  Dear Jessie has grown on me so much over the years and I now appreciate it's innocence and intricate musical backing.  Promise to Try is a song that can bring people to tears ( happens to me a lot  with that song ) but speaks completely to people who have experienced losing their mother young more than other people.  

So I am going for Till Death do us part.  Completely before it's time with the devastating lyrics of domestic violence jarring with the almost carefree delivery.  Incredible song.  

one of those albums i enjoy but cant relate to some of the songs.

i voted for keep it together!!

vocalism    0
8 minutes ago, S.E.X. said:

In Encyclopedia Madonnaica it says that David Fincher was the one who begged Madonna to release Oh Father as a single because he wanted to direct a video for it so badly.

My guess is that either Spanish Eyes or TDDUP were originally planned as single in place of Oh Father. Including TDDUP AND Holiday as b-sides to Dear Jessie always seemed very odd to me. I can totally see why Holiday would be included (although Santa Baby would have been much smarter given that the single was released around the Holiday season) but TDDUP???

I know it's a reach but I think they put it on there as a nod to it being the single that was originally supposed to be released, maybe as a double A-Side with Spanish Eyes which would have been released in different territories?

If I were to choose the LAP Singles it would have went like this:

1. Like a Prayer (b/w Act of Contrition)

2. Express Yourself (b/w Love Song)

3. Till Death Do Us Part (b/w Supernatural)

4. Cherish (released around the holiday season, b/w Santa Baby)

5. Oh Father (released in Europe, US and UK, b/w Dear Jessie)

5. Spanish Eyes (released in Latin America, Spain, Italy and Japan, b/w Promise to Try)

6. Keep It Together

Fuck Dear Jessie, honestly.

I don't see why it's weird to include TDDUP as a b-side to DJ. It was from the same album. AOC was the B-side to LAP. That's how they do it. It promotes another song on the album in hopes that people will want to buy the album. At least that's the traditional purpose. I remember reading that M was mad at DF for OH's failure, but I never really believed that story.

S.E.X.    0
22 minutes ago, vocalism said:

I don't see why it's weird to include TDDUP as a b-side to DJ. It was from the same album. AOC was the B-side to LAP. That's how they do it. It promotes another song on the album in hopes that people will want to buy the album. At least that's the traditional purpose. I remember reading that M was mad at DF for OH's failure, but I never really believed that story.

Because Dear Jessie pretty much functioned as a "holiday single". I don't think it was chosen because it was particularly great or a strong song. They probably just thought that such a cute and family-friendly song would do well. 

If that was the case, then TDDUP being the b-side is really obscure. Why put out an intentionally family-friendly song and include the even more family-friendly Holiday and then spoil it all with a song about domestic violence? Lol...

AOC and The Look of Love both made sense as b-sides to their A-sides, as did Spanish Eyes as the b-side to Oh Father. TDDUP and Holiday together as b-sides to Dear Jessie really don't make much sense to me.

Icykiller    0

Till death do us part.

Tough to choose between Lovesong and Keep it Together, but I ultimately chose Lovesong. I would have loved to have seen Madonna's vision realized of a music video with Prince. I once read she came up with an idea for a video inspired by the introduction to Hiroshima Mon Amour to be directed by Mondino. Would have been so beautiful. 

spotlight    0
7 hours ago, material_boy said:

I said in the opening post that I was including "DJ," "OF" and "KIT" as options since they each had limited releases. "DJ" and "OF" were released in different areas as the fourth single, so I included them in case people thought the fifth single should be, say, "DJ" in the States and "OF" in Europe.

"KIT" was only released in the U.S. and Japan, and it had a double-A side release with "Vogue" in Australia. The vast majority of the world never saw a fifth single from the album.

Canada says hello

Jazzy Jan    0
3 hours ago, Robin said:

one of those albums i enjoy but cant relate to some of the songs.

i voted for keep it together!!

Yes, I totally understand how you would feel like that.  Songs that describe certain experiences or issues can be hard to relate for others who have never experienced those issues.  We are naturally drawn emotionally to songs that speak to us or what we have experienced.   Why I think songs about love and heartbreak are usually always the singles that are picked by record companies etc as everyone has been through it and can relate.  Why though that songs dealing with unusual or painful topics stand out so much and are so memorable to people who have been through it.   Like a Prayer is her most personal album - it deals with her mother's death, her painful relationship with her father and toxic marriage.  Was a huge moment for her as a recording artist and very brave. 

dollhouse    0

Out of all singles of LAP I love Dear Jessie the most..it was such a huge hit!

LVX    0
5 hours ago, mynameisdita said:

Tough to choose between Lovesong and Keep it Together, but I ultimately chose Lovesong. I would have loved to have seen Madonna's vision realized of a music video with Prince. I once read she came up with an idea for a video inspired by the introduction to Hiroshima Mon Amour to be directed by Mondino. Would have been so beautiful.

Lovesong?! It's the most boring song ever. I can't imagine it doing very well as a single.

S.E.X.    0
10 hours ago, dollhouse said:

Out of all singles of LAP I love Dear Jessie the most..it was such a huge hit!

natalia-kills-gif_2015-03-19_04-41-18.giLike a Prayer is her best song and it's better than Vogue!

mnino    0

jon-stewart-huh.gif

Keep It Together WAS the fifth single in the UK and US....

Anyway, I would have released Spanish Eyes (Love Song as B-Side) as the fourth single and Dear Jessie/Oh Father (as a combo just like it is on the album for a sixth single. 

S.E.X.    0
14 minutes ago, mnino said:

jon-stewart-huh.gif

Anyway, I would have released Spanish Eyes (Love Song as B-Side) as the fourth single and Dear Jessie/Oh Father (as a combo just like it is on the album for a sixth single. 

Signed! But what about Till JESUS Do Us Part? The hit that got away?

natalia-kills-gif_2015-03-19_04-41-18.gi

mnino    0
4 minutes ago, S.E.X. said:

Signed! But what about Till JESUS Do Us Part? The hit that got away?

natalia-kills-gif_2015-03-19_04-41-18.gi

I think that TDDUP would have been a perfect double A-side to Cherish. Both are similar musically but so opposite lyrically. It would have been like the light and dark side of the moon. :)

S.E.X.    0
3 minutes ago, mnino said:

I think that TDDUP would have been a perfect double A-side to Cherish. Both are similar musically but so opposite lyrically. It would have been like the light and dark side of the moon. :)

Approved! Maybe this could have stopped Tranet from blocking M. 

Jazzy Jan    0
Just now, mnino said:

I see what you mean but they are such opposites.  TDDUP is the most chilling song about domestic violence and a toxic marriages you can hear  (  alongside Toni Child's "  I've got to go now" )   and Cherish is the most joyful love song imaginable.  Mnino, I think they are too much the opposite really.  The arrangement of TDDUP is brilliant and makes it even more sad - the misleading way it is presented.  So ahead of it's time in every way.  

mnino    0
6 minutes ago, jazzyjan said:

I see what you mean but they are such opposites.  TDDUP is the most chilling song about domestic violence and a toxic marriages you can hear  (  alongside Toni Child's "  I've got to go now" )   and Cherish is the most joyful love song imaginable.  Mnino, I think they are too much the opposite really.  The arrangement of TDDUP is brilliant and makes it even more sad - the misleading way it is presented.  So ahead of it's time in every way.  

That's why I think it could work. You see, I'm thinking of an actual record here in which you would have to manually change sides. Cherish is the decision to take it to another level, to have more than casual encounters... to have a burning love. TDDUP is what happens when that love actually burns. Not all love affairs end up that way but hers did so I think it could have worked. 

Jazzy Jan    0
1 minute ago, mnino said:

That's why I think it could work. You see, I'm thinking of an actual record here in which you would have to manually change sides. Cherish is the decision to take it to another level, to have more than casual encounters... to have a burning love. TDDUP is what happens when that love actually burns. Not all love affairs end up that way but hers did so I think it could have worked. 

Very interesting and well thought out.  Personally,  I think it might have tainted Cherish because it is so innocent and joyful but I do like your reasoning behind it. 

mnino    0
12 minutes ago, jazzyjan said:

Very interesting and well thought out.  Personally,  I think it might have tainted Cherish because it is so innocent and joyful but I do like your reasoning behind it. 

I can see that. Maybe it would have worked out better with EY. I don't EVER want to taint Cherish. That's the song I sang to my then fiance at our engagement party... :inlove:

Jazzy Jan    0
10 minutes ago, mnino said:

I can see that. Maybe it would have worked out better with EY. I don't EVER want to taint Cherish. That's the song I sang to my then fiance at our engagement party... :inlove:

:inlove:   The perfect song to sing.  

7 hours ago, mnino said:

jon-stewart-huh.gif

"KIT" was not released in the UK or in Europe generally. It did chart in some countries based on import sales. And it's possible that, being that she was such a star at the time, the song got radio play the same way "Where's the Party" did in 86-87, but it saw no single release. You can Google this if you don't believe me ...

14 minutes ago, material_boy said:

"KIT" was not released in the UK or in Europe generally. It did chart in some countries based on import sales. And it's possible that, being that she was such a star at the time, the song got radio play the same way "Where's the Party" did in 86-87, but it saw no single release. You can Google this if you don't believe me ...

This is the round where you have to do the most 'splaining :rotfl: 

Willie    0

This album did get tricky after Cherish. I  put KIT, because that song NEEDED a video, and it will have been a great song/video to say goodbye to the 80's / hello  to the 90's - and as someone posted her with the dark bob hair - PERFECTION!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Bretticus    0

Was Australia the only country that got all 6 singles released in one way or another? We had LAP, EY, Cherish, then Oh Father, Dear Jessie and then Vogue/Keep It Together.

mnino    0
10 hours ago, material_boy said:

You're right. I believe you. 

My bad.

#flopfan

meltdown.gif