MadonnaNation.com Forums
material_boy

POLL: What should have been the fifth single from "Like a Prayer?"

What should have been "Like a Prayer"'s fifth single?  

121 members have voted

1. 1. What should have been "Like a Prayer"'s fifth single?

• Love Song
    • Till Death Do Us Part
    • Promise to Try
    • Dear Jessie / Oh Father (each released in areas where the other had already been released)
    • Keep It Together
    • Spanish Eyes
    • Act of Contrition

It's 1990. "Like a Prayer" is a smash hit and Madonna is the biggest star in the world. After four hit singles -- "Like a Prayer," "Express Yourself," "Cherish," and "Oh Father" / "Dear Jessie" -- and a major world tour fast approaching, Sire Records has asked you to pick the album's next single release. This will be a major release, complete with music video. What's your choice?

(This was a trickier poll to do since only the first three singles were released worldwide, while "Oh Father," "Dear Jessie" and "Keep it Together" each had limited releases. I decided the best way to do a poll would be to include all three as potential fifth singles.)

Previous rounds:

EDIT for further clarity:

1. "Keep it Together" included as an option because it was only released as a single in the U.S., Japan and Australia (and, in Australia, it was only released as a double-A side with "Vogue"). Most the world saw no fifth single release from the album.

2. "Dear Jessie" and "Oh Father" are listed as options because they were released to different countries as the album's fourth single. The U.S., for example, never saw "Dear Jessie" released a single. Most of Europe didn't see "Oh Father" released until it was dusted off in the 90s to promote "Something to Remember.")

This thread is ridiculo. 

"Keep it Together" was the 5th single.

For me, it's gotta be "Keep it Together." It is a killer track and I would DIE to see her in a music video with this amazing late-89 hairstyle:

madonna-jean-paul-gaultier-book-03.jpg

Keep it together 

KIT but only with that stellar/ superior Shep radio remix! Remember hearing it all over the radio. Never ever hear it anymore unfortunately. Um..went top 10 in the US and platinum so it was a single lol. 

5 minutes ago, Ciccone's Cheeks said:

KIT but only with that stellar/ superior Shep radio remix! Remember hearing it all over the radio. Never ever hear it anymore unfortunately. Um..went top 10 in the US and platinum so it was a single lol. 

shep was on fire with his remixings!!!!

KIT was the 5th single. At least in America. 

220px-KeepItTogether1989.PNG

Reached #8 on Billboard hot 100

I thought KIT was a single..? Anyway, I voted for Spanish Eyes.

Remember clearly things got a little dicey after Cherish far as single release (where and when). In Australia for example KIT was a B side to Vogue I believe. Don't think it was ever released in the UK. While the UK got Dear Jessie. US got KIT and again 'that' was basically the beginning of the Shep era which took us into Vogue. Don't have an recollection of hearing the way inferior album version on the radio. Remember how hot and fresh that 'new sound' w/ those signature hard drums and bass Shep pumped out. As usual M was ahead of everything and switched things up with notice versus keeping things 'safe'. I love Breys work to death but KIT album version just was kind of flat and meh. Def needed that amazing tweak up. Sorry...getting off topic ;P lol. 

Keep It Together WAS a single! What the hell?

I chose This Is Not A Love Song. It would've been a surefire hit for her having Prince on it. 

1. LAP
2. EY
3. C
4. OF (DJ in Europe)
5. KIT
6. SE
End.

Keep It Together :thumbsup: but Love Song and Spanish Eyes would have been great too. 

1 hour ago, dollhouse said:

This thread is ridiculo. 

"Keep it Together" was the 5th single.

1 hour ago, runa said:

KIT was the 5th single. At least in America. 

1 hour ago, LVX said:

I thought KIT was a single..? Anyway, I voted for Spanish Eyes.

49 minutes ago, KalamazooJay said:

Keep It Together WAS a single! What the hell?

I said in the opening post that I was including "DJ," "OF" and "KIT" as options since they each had limited releases. "DJ" and "OF" were released in different areas as the fourth single, so I included them in case people thought the fifth single should be, say, "DJ" in the States and "OF" in Europe.

"KIT" was only released in the U.S. and Japan, and it had a double-A side release with "Vogue" in Australia. The vast majority of the world never saw a fifth single from the album.

Why did she have limited release all over the place then with Like a Prayer?

KIT & DJ both charted in different countries depending on where it was released.

Guess Spanish Eyes could've been a single as well since fans appear to love it.....

TDDUP obviously.

I thought Spanish Eyes was going to be the official 5th single ? 

2 minutes ago, Confessit said:

Why did she have limited release all over the place then with Like a Prayer?

There are a few stories about M pushing the label for "Oh Father"'s released, but I don't know why the label would limit it to certain areas while pushing "Dear Jessie" elsewhere -- I'd guess it's just what the label thought was best :dazed:

"Keep it Together" was clearly a rush release to support the album in the States after "OF" fizzled. (But then, of course, the label dropped "KIT" almost immediately for "Vogue.") Why not release "KIT" worldwide? I don't know the answer to this either :dazed: :dazed:

Watching KIT's chart performance I think, had it been released worldwide, it would now be one of M's biggest hits.

I mean, WITHOUT promo or video it reached #8 on the Hot 100, #8 in Canada, #1 in Australia and #5 in Japan, it even made the italian top 20! 

:clap:

KIT WAS the official 5th and final single from LAP. the End.

You should've asked the 6th single which would have been SE.

This is a hard one.  Like a Prayer is so brilliant and personal but singles are hard to pick due to them being extremely personal.  The first 3 singles were obvious and they had mass appeal to both fans and the General public.  I loved O'h Father as the fourth single and am taking that out of the equation.  Dear Jessie has grown on me so much over the years and I now appreciate it's innocence and intricate musical backing.  Promise to Try is a song that can bring people to tears ( happens to me a lot  with that song ) but speaks completely to people who have experienced losing their mother young more than other people.  

So I am going for Till Death do us part.  Completely before it's time with the devastating lyrics of domestic violence jarring with the almost carefree delivery.  Incredible song.  

As many said, KIT was very much a single. Ignoring that, I would go with TDDUP. I honestly think LAP is one of those albums where they picked all of the obvious singles, but TDDUP has always been a favorite. As far as confessional/personal singles go, it might have done better than OF.

"But [insert title] was a single!".

Some people don't read :IMG_1564: