MadonnaNation.com Forums
loowee

Madonna's PEAK year?

?  

109 members have voted

1. 1. Which year was her peak?

loowee    0
2 hours ago, Pedro said:

Voted 1990 because of the continuous success and the crowning with BAT/IC, but I would definitely define 2005/6 as the years she transitioned from a super mega successful superstar to a Legend, she truly become untouchable after reclaiming her status after COADF, not that she wasn't before but everything changed after that. She also became the touring force like no other. 

I learnt about Madonna in the late 90's and she was already considered a legendary icon back then... 

karbatal    0
12 minutes ago, KalamazooJay said:

I don't think you can compare any era to 1989-1991. The True Blue, ROL--Music, and Confessions era's simply don't match up the colossal success during that time. The hysteria, media attention, and controversy just can't be matched and never will be.  

Yes, it was FRENZY. I agree. She was the coolest, everything. 

But..

There were the Marilyn comparisons, the "she needs to provoke to sell", the "she's no real artist", you know... And 1998-2001 she was everywhere, selling millions, having number ones AND being applauded by everybody. 

Then in 2006 she was like "OMG", and it was incredible. 

I am sure that we will live another really big peak too in the future. 

Shaun    0
2 hours ago, loowee said:

HUH?

giphy.gif

😂😂😂😂😂

Orion    0
20 minutes ago, KalamazooJay said:

I don't think you can compare any era to 1989-1991. The True Blue, ROL--Music, and Confessions era's simply don't match up the colossal success during that time. The hysteria, media attention, and controversy just can't be matched and never will be.  

This.

She had the best selling song of 1989, another two (iconic) global hits, one of the best selling albums of the year, then in 1990 Vogue, I'm Breathless, Dick Tracy, TIC, BAT and in 1991 the growing success of TIC, Justify My Love and the peak of her golden era: the Sooner or Later performance at the Oscars.

She was untouchable, not even Michael Jackson could compete. 

Nikki    0

I remember in the 90s so many local tv series referring to madonna when a young girl wanted to go to America or be a singer. she has the biggest success story. I think the peek is 1989-1991 but on an MJ level if that makes sense? like hysteria. I remember becoming a fan in 99-2000 and it seemed like it M was seen as not just a pop artist but a real artist/songwriter in general. so when it comes to praise and respect I think it's late 90s early 00s. however when it comes to big commercial and cultural world dominance it's 89 91

I chose 1990.

But if i had to choose 1 specific moment?

After she got her vocal training for I'm Breathless. The Academy Awards (Oscars) in 1991. When she showed up with Michael Jackson. When she performed Sooner Or Later and was finally acknowledged as a good singer. When the critics loved her last studio album, when she did the most important female tour ever, when she released the biggest greatest hits ever for a solo act. 

How can you go up from here? You can't.

Pedro    0
1 hour ago, loowee said:

I learnt about Madonna in the late 90's and she was already considered a legendary icon back then... 

Yeah totally!

I was into Madonna since Borderline/LS and by the 1990s she was this unstoppable force to be reckon with, but people was always ready to herald "the new Madonna" title on every flavor of the month. Later on she received the critical and people's acclaim with ROL/M. But in my eyes, there was this breaking point after COADF that cemented her on a really legendary status. People understood that there was never going to be anyone male or female quite like her. 

1 hour ago, karbatal said:

Yes, it was FRENZY. I agree. She was the coolest, everything. 

But..

There were the Marilyn comparisons, the "she needs to provoke to sell", the "she's no real artist", you know... And 1998-2001 she was everywhere, selling millions, having number ones AND being applauded by everybody. 

Then in 2006 she was like "OMG", and it was incredible. 

I am sure that we will live another really big peak too in the future. 

I think that 1998-2001 was when she was at her highest CRITICAL peak. I mean, the media was tripping over themselves with praise for her. I had never seen anything like it before or since. Confessions comes closest, but while she garnered praise internationally, it wasn't as unanimous here in the states and wasn't close to the acclaim and success that she had with ROL and Music. 

tuckeye    0

i would have to say the year 2000....it was amazing.

tuckeye    0

like it depends if your looking at peak as in commercially or artistically

hot singles , hot tour , hot movie , hot album - TIME MAGAZINE COVER 

like a virgin n1 , material girl n2 , crazy for you n1 , in fact she had 5 top 5s that year + her radio smash Into the groove 

and her Madonna album was still selling so well that year

Stereo    0

All peak years for some reason.

rocknrolla    0

1985.  She launched a phenomenon unheard of for female popstars at the time.  Bestselling female album ever up to that point, most number one singles for female artist at that point, biggest tour, everything. The worldwide success of 86/87 a very close second. 

1990, take away blond ambition, she was being outsold by Janet Jackson, Paula Abdul.  Seems to be a notable decline. 

rocknrolla    0

1985 -- billboards top selling artist

1987 -- she had the worlds best selling album

1990 I could understand just based on her level of fame/media coverage. 

Robin    0

WHAT TYPE OF QUESTION?? She Peaked in 1985 what  y'all forgot about the September Playboy edition?? 

mnino    0

Madonna had three PEAKS:

1985-1987 Became a SUPERSTAR

1989-1991 Became an ICON

1998-2001 Became a LEGEND

Minor peak:

MeakMaker    0
10 minutes ago, mnino said:

Madonna had three PEAKS:

1985-1987 Became a SUPERSTAR

1989-1991 Became an ICON

1998-2001 Became a LEGEND

Minor peak:

This 100 times.

ITG    0
14 hours ago, Lolo said:

I'd say 1990 put her up there with the legends but by this time she was already more controversial. In 1986 she was on top of everything, liked and loved by the public and backed up by massive chart success. By that time she was even a movie star, the flops happened later. So I would say her commercial peak was 86, though her entry to iconic mega stardom happened around 1990, but it feels like it's been established in retrospect. 

This pretty much sums it up. But 85/86 was personally big for me when it comes to Madonna. But we've had so many peaks and they vary in music, charts, media coverage, controversy, etc.....we are so lucky!

jonski43    0

For the UK, I feel she had four:

85, 90, 98 and 2005 although out of all of the 90 was when things went stratospheric and moved her into icon status.

Many mega highs but nuttin touches 1990 ish for her or basically ANYone since then. 1990 for her like is/was like 1957/58 for Elvis, 1983/84 for MJ. 1984/85 for Prince. 1968/69 for the Beatles. Cant get hotter, higher and earth trembling than those eras.