Pope Francis reduces penalties for paedophile priests to a lifetime of pray

XXL

http://www.ibtimes.co.uk/pope-francis-reduces-penalties-paedophile-priests-lifetime-prayer-1608591

Pope Francis reduces penalties for paedophile priests to a lifetime of prayer

The Pope faces widespread condemnation for his 'merciful' approach to child sex offenders

pope-francis.jpg

Pope Francis's decision to reduce penalties for paedophile priests has been met with widespread condemnation from church officials and sex abuse survivors. Applying his vision of a 'merciful church' the Pope previously sanctioned weaker canonical sentences for two sex offenders within the church, which were commuted to a lifetime of prayer and penance after they appealed for clemency.

Reverend Mauro Inzoli was found guilty by the Vatican of abusing boys as young as 12, in 2012 and was ordered to be defrocked. However, following an appeal, in 2014 Francis reduced the penalty to a lifetime of prayer and to continue service in a restricted ministry. Inzoli is prohibited from celebrating Mass in public or being near children, and is barred from his diocese. He has also been ordered to undergo five years of psychotherapy.

Pope Francis overruled the advice given to him by the Vatican Congregation for the Doctrine of the Faith, which recommended sterner penalties befitting the heinous crimes against children, but Inzoli was controversially, welcomed back to the priesthood.

However, after new evidence emerged he was convicted by an Italian criminal court for sex crimes against five children, and now faces a second church trial. The decision by Pope Francis to reinstate Inzoli was met with a public outcry in the northern Italian town of Cremona, where the abuse took place. Marie Collins, an abuse survivor and founding member of Francis' sex-abuse advisory commission, said the Pope's rulings for lenient sentences sends out the wrong message to abusers and survivors of abuse.

"All who abuse have made a conscious decision to do so. Even those who are paedophiles, experts will tell you, are still responsible for their actions. They can resist their inclinations," she explained. "While mercy is important, justice for all parties is equally important," she added. "If there is seen to be any weakness about proper penalties, then it might well send the wrong message to those who would abuse."

Church authorities have argued that defrocking paedophile priests will prevent the church exerting control over them, claiming that to do so would place them in the wider society where they may re-offend. Vatican spokesman Greg Burke said the restrictions are intended to ensure the priest's conduct within the church is supervised and their access to children is prevented.

He defended the Pope's emphasis on mercy claiming that it applied to "even those who are guilty of heinous crimes and priests who are found to be abusers are permanently removed from the ministry but are not necessarily defrocked."

:manson:  "The Holy Father understands that many victims and survivors can find any sign of mercy in this area difficult, but he knows that the Gospel message of mercy is ultimately a source of powerful healing and of grace," he said 

In contrast, during his eight-year papacy his predecessor, Pope Benedict XVI, defrocked 800 priests, who had raped and molested children and rarely granted clemency petitions, Mail Online reports.

:scared:  :scared: 

43 minutes ago, runa said:

This is insane. And the craziest is that there are still people who believe in that shit. 

It is insane but not surprising, what do you mean by believe in that shit? believe that it actually happens or that a merciful approach is best??

6 minutes ago, roma said:

It is insane but not surprising, what do you mean by believe in that shit? believe that it actually happens or that a merciful approach is best??

Believe in that religion of "love". 

Yeah. Right.

Religion:

The biggest SCAM in the history of humanity. They can get away with literally anything they want. Just think how those less fortunate in this world could be helped if everyone that "donated" to the church put that $$ toward something useful. 

These words

"The Holy Father understands that many victims and survivors can find any sign of mercy in this area difficult, be he knows that the Gospel message of mercy is ultimately a source of powerful healing and of grace"

to a survivor of sexual abuse they have experienced at a very very young age, are worse than anything imaginable. You can shove those words up your holy ass, yours and all of those who keep on sustaining all fucking religions in this world. Fuck mercy, mercy does not heal fuck all while soliciting more fucking pedophiles to carry on abusing minors.

Disgusting, utterly insane. May all pedophile defenders/excusers rot in pain and suffering, alone and publicly shamed.

8 hours ago, Kurt420 said:

Religion:

The biggest SCAM in the history of humanity. They can get away with literally anything they want. Just think how those less fortunate in this world could be helped if everyone that "donated" to the church put that $$ toward something useful. 

4 hours ago, XXL said:

That is one of my favorite by Carlin, it had me in stitches when I discovered it years ago;

all of them, over a decade later continue to be so truthful...

Loved Carlin, one of my top favorites if not my top #1. I suppose he passed away at the right time, lucky him... imagine what he would he said of today's America or all the technology that unfolded right from the year he died.

• 2 weeks later...
On 28/2/2017 at 1:28 AM, pjcowley said:

That is one of my favorite by Carlin, it had me in stitches when I discovered it years ago;

all of them, over a decade later continue to be so truthful...

Loved Carlin, one of my top favorites if not my top #1. I suppose he passed away at the right time, lucky him... imagine what he would he said of today's America or all the technology that unfolded right from the year he died.

:thumbsup:

I was baptised and raised a Christian Catholic but fell off of the made up, imposed, pagan-rooted dogmas and the grating hypocrisy pretty early on. I would say that spirituality and religions are extremely different things. A friend used to say that religion is for those who are afraid of hell and spirituality is for those who have already been there, which I thought was a rather curious but accurate way to put it.

That said,  I have the utmost respect for atheists or religious people who respect atheists or people from other religions and zero respect for any religious person who abuses others based on their own education and background in the false assumption that it must be automatically the ultimate truth. Kindness, non violence, love are not taught in a book or by any religious figure but are written in the heart and soul of a person the moment they arrive here. if anything those religious ierarchies are responsible for the murder of tens of milions through the ages. The men-like attributes that all three Abrahamic religions ascribe to God are ridiculous, a vindicative all punishing guy who is sitting up there in the clouds judging you, fear is an interesting tool for anyone who wants to enslave another person, let alone billions of people through one single piece of software

Though one thing is talk about religions vs atheism or a discussion on God outside of the constraints of man made religion and another thing alltogether is discussing the crimes of 2,000 years of papacy, in that regard there are historically no doubts about the fallacies and lies. The Vatican previously known as the State of the Church is the single most powerful political and financial entity in the world before any other country and it totally eludes my mind how they can claim to be the depository and representative of an all giving, all forgiving God who (through his son) preached poverty  and to "let people be" while they kick about with trillions worth of untaxed assets and properties and are virtually guaranteed eternal impunity for their crimes against the most vulnerable and innocent of people

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/world/2017/03/01/irish-abuse-victim-lashes-out-vatican-bureaucracy-she-quits-panel/98575578/

Irish abuse victim lashes out at Vatican bureaucracy as she quits panel

ROME (RNS) — Irish abuse survivor Marie Collins accused the Vatican bureaucracy of “shameful” resistance to fighting clerical sex abuse in the Catholic Church as she quit a key panel set up by Pope Francis. In a huge setback for the pope, Collins on Wednesday announced she had resigned from the Pontifical Commission for the Protection of Minors established by the pontiff in 2013 to counter abuse in the church.

She said the pope’s decision to create the commission was a “sincere move” but there had been “constant setbacks” from officials within the Vatican.  “There are people in the Vatican who do not want to change or understand the need to change,” Collins said in a telephone interview from her home in Ireland.

“I find it shameful,” Collins said. “The work we want to do is to make children and young adults now and in future safer in the church environment from the horror of abuse.” Collins, who was raped at age 13 by a hospital chaplain in Ireland, was the only active abuse survivor on the Vatican panel since British survivor, Peter Saunders, was cast last year for his outspoken criticism. Saunders has not resigned or been formally dismissed.

Collins said it was “soul-destroying” dealing with resistance in the Curia, the Vatican administration. While she did not name the main curial department, or “dicastery,” to which she was referring, the commission was dealing chiefly with the Congregation for the Doctrine of the Faith. “They are refusing to cooperate on letting us work with them,” Collins said. “I can’t stick with it anymore.”

The Vatican announced Collins’ resignation as she released her own statement on her personal website. She described the blocking of “a simple recommendation approved by Pope Francis” by Vatican officials late last year as “the last straw” that led her to resign. Collins informed the head of the commission, Boston Cardinal Sean O’Malley, that she intended to resign on Feb. 13. In a statement, O’Malley thanked Collins for her “extraordinary contributions.”

“We will certainly listen carefully to all that Marie wishes to share with us about her concerns and we will greatly miss her important contributions as a member of the Commission,” O’Malley said. Since his election four years ago, the pope has taken a strong stand on clerical sexual abuse and declared “zero tolerance” for abuse within the church.

But victims’ groups claim he has not done enough to hold bishops and priests to account for church abuse scandals that have emerged in Ireland, Germany, the U.S., Australia and other countries in the past 15 years. Last year, Francis approved tougher measures designed to make bishops more accountable for abusers and to mandate their removal if found to be “negligent.”

In an interview with Religion News Service last year, Collins expressed optimism about the panel’s work and specifically cited the commission’s participation in an orientation program for new bishops at the Vatican. Collins said she would continue to work with O’Malley in an educational role on guidelines for new bishops.