Skin

Anyone (In America) Hearing More Madonna on Radio Again?

49 posts in this topic

I feel like for about 2 years or more FM radio was going through a Madonna drought.  Most stations were ditching AC/Hot AC formats for simply top 40.  Every station was turning into a Z100 clone which means no Madonna.  Prior to that I could not get in my car without hearing a Madonna song on some station.   Then everything changed and I was stuck only listening to 106.7 Lite FM for my Madonna fix who they play all the time.  (People in my area will know that station...)   But suddenly it seems like formats have changed again.  Stations that were 100% top 40 or only played songs from the 2000s I noticed they began to switch to playing 80s, 90s, and today.   Now once again if I am scanning the stations I can find Madonna a lot once again.  Is this something just happening in my area?  Are other areas of the country opening their playlists up? 

Is radio coming to the conclusion the top 40 today sucks donkey dick so they are going back to the better known "oldies but goodies"?  to appeal to a larger demographic instead of teens and tweens who probably hardly even listen to FM radio?   

I just wish 103.5 KTU would go back to being Madonna central again. 

where i live we have a 70s and 80s hits only station; Madonna gets played every day. Borderline/Holiday come up frequently tbh they never play singles from true blue which is odd

I don't listen to radio really anymore, but I still hear her stuff in grocery stores and retail outlets. Usually it's either something from Like A Virgin or it's just "I'll Remember". Seriously, that's it. I guess I did hear "Secret" once at the local Safeway and it was a glorious moment.

I mentioned this but they play Madonna ALL the time where I work. 

Rain

Beautiful Stranger

Die Another Day 

Vogue 

Sorry

Jump (which I find random since it didn't make a dent in the US) 

Ray of Light 

Those seem to be the main ones they are cycling around right now.  Whatever "station" gets pumped in there is always a commercial on how tens of millions of shoppers hear it each day. :lol: 

I never, EVER listen to the radio, haven't in what feels like a decade or two!

I feel like the Madonna ageist backlash of 2015 is starting to fade away now. Losing so many icons recently has maybe put her relevance into perspective again. 

Maybe...

I stick to 106.7 lite fm...Like you said, they always play classic madonna songs and they always put me in a good mood with the Playlist they play. Not just madonna, but a good mix of songs between the 80s and present.

Friday, I was happy starting work with dress you up and leaving work with lucky star. Lol it was a good Friday for me.

2 hours ago, Rugbyguy said:

I feel like the Madonna ageist backlash of 2015 is starting to fade away now. Losing so many icons recently has maybe put her relevance into perspective again. 

Maybe...

Madonna ageist backlash? I don't remember being any backlash, just tiny ones from the Drake kissing one and the laughs of Madonna falling at the Brits. 

Never enough! :( 

My local AC radio station still playing her song.

The AC/Classic Hits stations in my area play her decently enough. I hear TIC classics as a whole pretty often/somewhat regularly.

I heard Sidewalk Talk just last Tuesday. :dramatic:

I'm annoyed that our local classic rock station (jack fm) never plays anything by her.  Right she's not rock, but neither is Girls just wanna have fun, which I've heard on there, and Pat Benetar.  Like a Prayer album version absolutely would fit in.

i do hear her on 80s stations though, and I hear her in stores all the time.

I think so.  But I hear her nearly daily already, always on 80s or mixed stations.

Always 80s songs.  But it's not like you ever hear Remember the Time by Michael Jackson, either.

35 minutes ago, adirondak said:

I'm annoyed that our local classic rock station (jack fm) never plays anything by her.  Right she's not rock, but neither is Girls just wanna have fun, which I've heard on there, and Pat Benetar.  Like a Prayer album version absolutely would fit in.

i do hear her on 80s stations though, and I hear her in stores all the time.

I did hear Like a Prayer on a rock station when it was first released.

They were playing Cherish at Subway yesterday. She still gets played tons on 80s/adult stations.

I've heard ghosttown a few times on the an AC radio station in the past couple of months. It's always a joy to hear it in radio

She gets consistent play on 80/90s/classic hits stations, as well as the R&B & Old-School station around here.  Various hits from Holiday up until Music, sometimes up to Hung Up... particularly Holiday, Borderline, Like a Virgin, La Isla Bonita, Where's The Party, Like a Prayer, Cherish, Vogue, Take a Bow, Ray of Light, and Music. From some reason, I hear those a lot.

Noticed that she gets lots of play in stores especially.

i dont listen to radio at all anymore. but when I'm someplace that plays the radio i do hear madonna. usually her 80's catalogue, and the occasional Ray Of Light.

I hear her regularly. But what's different, is that I'm hearing songs that don't get much recurrent play like Music and Deeper and Deeper more often, for example.

They play Madonna all the time in all Wal-Mart stores! 

I wish radio stations would also heavily play her post-2000 singles

Just heard "Holiday" on the radio this morning... from my colleague's work station! :)

Just heard JML when I was buying bananas in the supermarket. :|