Giraffe childbirth taken off Youtube for nudity & sexual content

Camacho

:electropop: :electropop:

http://www.nbcnewyork.com/news/local/NY-Zoo-Livestreams-Pregnant-Giraffe-Ahead-of-Birth-of-Baby-Calf-414586083.html

NY Zoo's Pregnant Giraffe Livestream Pulled From YouTube After Activists Complain of 'Nudity and Sexual Content,' Then Restored Amid Public Outcry

By Jennifer Millman

YouTube has apparently restored an upstate New York zoo's livestream of a giraffe preparing to give birth that had been abruptly suspended Thursday after animal activists complained about "nudity and sexual content" in violation of the site's policy. 

More than 20 million had been viewing the cam, placed in the stall of “April” the giraffe at the Animal Adventure Park in Harpursville, in anticipation of the birth of her fourth calf. People from all over the world watched the long-necked animal slink gracefully around her hay-laden home, giddy with excitement.

Suddenly, shortly before 8 a.m., the stream stopped.

The Animal Adventure Park posted on Facebook that YouTube yanked the stream for "nudity & sexual content" and said "Animal Rights Extremists" were responsible.

The post was shared more than 6,200 times within an hour as thousands of commenters voiced frustration over "the miracle of life" being banned from YouTube. At least one person suggested the zoo put clothes on the giraffe. 

In a Facebook live addressing the controversy, the zoo's owner, Jordan Patch, said, "This is a perfect example of why we cannot have nice things."

Patch said it's OK that some animal activists don't agree with the zoo's decision to stream the birth, but that they were wrong to get YouTube to pull it.

"This has pulled an educational tool away from tens of millions of individuals," he said.

A two-hour stream documenting part of the giraffe's labor was allowed to remain online, though the comment section was rife with angry users demanding YouTube restore the live video. By 9:45 a.m., it was back up. 

YouTube didn't directly respond to the controversy, but clearly delineated policies on its site ask users to flag content they believe violates standards. The site has an appeals process in place for users, and if content is removed in error, YouTube works quickly to reinstate it.

Giraffes are pregnant for 15 months. Labor will last anywhere from a few hours to a few days. The calf will be about 150 pounds and 6 feet tall at birth and up and walking in about an hour. The zoo says it will hold a contest to name the calf.

Though it'll be 15-year-old April's fourth calf, it'll be a first for 5-year-old dad Oliver, the zoo says.

omg

they have to put monkeys and chimps in dresses and pants

same with cats and dogs.

Curious what those fuckerys say about the sphinx cats !!!!

As if the world has no problem, they come up with this kind of shit !!!

God help us please ! Amen.

• 2 weeks later...

I've been keeping an eye on April (the giraffe)....not at the zoo, but on FB.  What do they find so wrong with watching nature at it's best?  Watching a live birth, IMO, is something all children should experience.  

On a side note, I watched a YouTube video the other day of a giraffe giving birth at a Dallas zoo (think it was in 2015)?  Was awesome to see.  But then I was linked to another video of the 3 month old calf playing and running around in the enclosure and breaking it's neck (and dying)!!!  I was heartbroken.  I love the zoo and seeing the animals.  But sometimes it makes me wonder.....should "wild" animals be contained just for our viewing pleasure?  I know that young giraffe could have easily been killed and eaten in the wild, but I kind of feel that that is what nature intended.?  I feel sorry for these animals sometimes...not being able to run/roam in their "natural" habitat.

Sorry for the rant.