Trump / US politics thread 🚽

Camacho

It's a total distraction. He knows that by shrouding himself in a victim cloak and blaming the media for everything wins him accolades with his deplorable supporters. They don't watch the 'fake news' and get all of their information from him and his cheerleaders on talk radio. It's absolutely stunning. He's able to bulldoze polices that will effectively destroy these individuals and their well being, yet, they're attracted to this man and support him like rabid hounds. 

He very well could be reelected and serve two terms and by the time a democrat comes into office, his policies will have destroyed the livelihoods of his own supporters, but they're be brainwashed into thinking it'll be the Dem who did it and the cycle will repeat itself for decades to come. 

I'm usually a pretty optimistic person, truly. But this mans election is going to have devastating consequences on our country. And the world for that matter. And not just in terms of policy. I'm talking in terms of basic human decency and decorum. 

Yes, it has stunned me how he has this rabid base of followers.  There is absolutely nothing remotely likeable, decent or appealing about him and he is a pathological liar to boot. It is especially weird to see so called "struggling everyday Americans"  love a millionaire who in the past has wanted to cut working people's wages and has been caught under paying his workers for years.  

Yes, it has stunned me how he has this rabid base of followers.  There is absolutely nothing remotely likeable, decent or appealing about him and he is a pathological liar to boot. It is especially weird to see so called "struggling everyday Americans"  love a millionaire who in the past has wanted to cut working people's wages and has been caught under paying his workers for years.  

Only way for his rabid base followers to be against Dumpster is healthcare and the elderly suffering.

Trumpcare is the only way to hit them where it hurts..

He's still doing these pep rallies :newspaper:

I did watch that speech. And felt exactly like that Michigan woman on the panel later. Disgusted, dirty, I feel the need to take a shower. Ad that poem? Seriously?

Once again the speech was full of lies (you know, all the wonderful and great  things he has achieved in the first 100 days) and extremely divisive (anti democrats, anti media). Quite frankly, his supporters scare the shit out of me. For their own sake. The insane level of stupidity and above all ignorance, I fail to deal with. I fear, this is not going to end well.

This occurred IN the Oval Office. There are no words to describe the shame I have for my country over this man. No words anymore. 

The way he talks and gesticulates just creepes me out. What an unpleasant man. He is so obviously stupid it's truly unnerving.

"I don't stand by anything. I just—you can take it the way you want. I think our side's been proven very strongly. And everybody's talking about it. And frankly it should be discussed." Trump said before ending the discussion. :blink:

Putin is planting 'mole nukes' in the sea to drown America in huge tsunami, Russian claims

A former Russian defence ministry spokesman has made an extraordinary claim that Russia is burying nuclear weapons off the coast of America.

Colonel Viktor Baranetz claims that the ‘mole nukes’ would be used to set off a tsunami which could swamp the American coast.

Baranetz made the claims in an interview with the Russian news outlet Komsomolskaya Pravda – claiming that the measures are a response to America’s vast military budget.

Baranetz said that the weapons were a tactic for ‘asymetrical’ warfare – where one side is significantly less powerful than the other.

He said: ‘Our asymmetrical response is nuclear warheads that can modify their course and height so that no computer can calculate their trajectory.

‘Or, for example, the Americans are deploying their tanks, airplanes and special forces battalions along the Russian border.

‘We are quietly “seeding” the U.S. shoreline with nuclear “mole” missiles. They dig themselves in and “sleep” until they are given the command…

‘Oh, it seems I’ve said too much, I should hold my tongue.’

A Russian government spokesman described the claims as ‘strange’.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/putin-planting-mole-nukes-sea-drown-america-huge-tsunami-russian-claims-085657564.html

Sounds fishy, as only sketchy sites are reporting it. But thought it was interesting nonetheless...

:pleasedie:

http://www.advocate.com/politics/2017/5/02/trump-reportedly-will-issue-license-discriminate-order-thursday

Trump Reportedly Will Issue 'License to Discriminate' Order Thursday

vpenwo.jpg

He has invited religious right leaders to the White House and is expected to unveil the "religious liberty" order, enabling discrimination against LGBT people and others.

BY TRUDY RING

MAY 02 2017 3:42 PM EDT

Donald Trump’s long-rumored “religious liberty” executive order, allowing a broad license to discriminate against LGBT people and others, is coming Thursday, Politico reports.

Several leaders of the religious right have been invited to the White House that day, which is the National Day of Prayer, and they expect the president to unveil the order then, according to Politico. “Two senior administration officials confirmed the plan, though one cautioned that it hasn’t yet been finalized, and noted that lawyers are currently reviewing and fine-tuning the draft language,” the site reports.

Donald Trump’s long-rumored “religious liberty” executive order, allowing a broad license to discriminate against LGBT people and others, is coming Thursday, Politico reports.

Several leaders of the religious right have been invited to the White House that day, which is the National Day of Prayer, and they expect the president to unveil the order then, according to Politico. “Two senior administration officials confirmed the plan, though one cautioned that it hasn’t yet been finalized, and noted that lawyers are currently reviewing and fine-tuning the draft language,” the site reports.

A draft of the order was obtained by The Nation in February. “The draft order seeks to create wholesale exemptions [from antidiscrimination laws] for people and organizations who claim religious or moral objections to same-sex marriage, premarital sex, abortion, and trans identity, and it seeks to curtail women’s access to contraception and abortion through the Affordable Care Act,” the progressive magazine reported at the time.

It also “construes religious organizations so broadly that it covers ‘any organization, including closely held for-profit corporations,’ and protects ‘religious freedom” in every walk of life: ‘when providing social services, education, or healthcare; earning a living, seeking a job, or employing others; receiving government grants or contracts; or otherwise participating in the marketplace, the public square, or interfacing with Federal, State or local governments,’” The Nation noted in February.

Trump administration officials have been cageyabout the existence of the order, but religious right activist Ken Blackwell, who was a member of Trump’s transition team, has said such an order is definitely coming. Far-right leaders such as Brian Brown of the National Organization for Marriage have pushed for such a measure.

If the language of the original draft is retained, the order would be similar to the First Amendment Defense Act, which is pending in Congress — and would be a shortcut to writing such discrimination into law.

The American Civil Liberties Union quickly issued a press release saying it will see Trump in court. “The ACLU fights every day to defend religious freedom, but religious freedom does not mean the right to discriminate against or harm others,” said deputy legal director Louise Melling. “If President Trump signs an executive order that attempts to provide a license to discriminate against women or LGBT people, we will see him in court.”

GLAAD president and CEO Sarah Kate Ellis denounced the plan as well. “If this possible executive order is similar to February’s draft, it would do nothing except give a national license to discriminate, and endanger LGBTQ people and their families,” she said in an emailed statement. “President Trump is trying to create an America where my children could be turned away if a pediatrician doesn’t accept my wife and I. Nothing could be more un-American.”

^  Is this religious liberty order is introduced,  it will take away the rights of so many groups of people and will give bigoted people the right to discriminate as they please. 

Here's another angle to what Hector posted (and I believe they're also going to try to pass some sort of religious liberty bill through Congress too) -

As Trump prepares order on religious liberty, Pence’s credibility with evangelicals is at stake

Jon Ward 13 hours ago

NASHVILLE — As evangelicals gathered here last week, expectations were high about the upcoming announcement of an administration executive order on religious liberty. But so were anxieties.

Christian author Rod Dreher made no effort to hide his skepticism about President Trump. “I don’t think he cares about the thing that matters most to us, and that is religious liberty,” Dreher said from the stage.

The marriage of evangelicals to Trump, Dreher added, will not end well. “I think it’s going to be a bitter harvest for us,” he said.

No one seems to know what Trump’s executive order will say, because it has been so closely held by Vice President Mike Pence and a few aides. A draft version that was leaked to the Nation magazine soon after the inauguration was broadly worded to create  “wholesale exemptions [from anti-discrimination statutes] for people and organizations who claim religious or moral objections to same-sex marriage, premarital sex, abortion, and trans identity,” according to the magazine.

But there is reason for religious conservatives — including Pence, a deeply conservative Christian — to worry about how the final version will read. The president’s daughter Ivanka and his son-in-law Jared Kushner are more aligned with gay, lesbian and transgender groups on the issue. In fact, some observers believe the leak to the Nation was orchestrated by someone in Jared and Ivanka’s orbit to sabotage the process

“The Jared and Ivanka thing, that’s real,” said one congressional aide.

One Senate aide said the rumor on Capitol Hill was that “President Jared has it on hold. … I haven’t seen any evidence that Pence has the pull to trump Jared.”

And that gets to the heart of the matter. Pence has a long history with the issue of religious liberty, having been embarrassed by a bungled attempt in Indiana when he was governor to implement a law on the matter.

Pence, widely criticized after signing the Indiana legislature’s Religious Freedom Restoration Act in the spring of 2015, then bowed to pressure and altered the legislation in a way that angered religious conservatives. So in the view of some in the community, the vice president has an obligation to make it up to them.

But a fight with Trump’s own family is a formidable task. This is not the only issue that Pence cares about, though it is a high priority one for him and many others in the faith community. So the question for Pence has been how much political capital is he willing to expend on this matter.

The broader context is that Pence is always thinking about how to gain influence in the Trump administration while also keeping a certain distance from the president.

Keeping that distance will help Pence if the Trump presidency ends up being judged a failure, giving him the vice president the deniability he would need to mount a credible run for the White House himself.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/trump-prepares-order-religious-liberty-pences-credibility-evangelicals-stake-212412930.html

That's why other "religious liberty" bills are also being pushed through on the state level...as well as a big one they want to try to pass through Congress.  This is a major issue on the table for a major portion of Trump's voting base (mainly backing the Pence wing of the ticket). 

Even if the EO gets thrown out by the courts, the growing theocratic wing of the Repubs will not back down on this issue.

I think the UN needs to finally put an end to religious extremism in the United States. It's evil, immoral, disgusting. it's threatening democracy and ultimately the world. I say we start with bombing Alabama and work our way through south until we reach the outskirts of the capital.

2 hours ago, VogueMusic said:

They're fucking OBSESSED with Obama.  :rolleyes:

Fascists always need a boogieman.

They're obsessed with their hatred for him. He's black. His middle name is Hussein. He's an 'elitist'. And they've successfully branded him as a Kenyan Muslim which has exposed the horrendous racist underbelly this nation has always tried to pretend hasn't existed since the end of segregation. But it has. It's never just gone away with the stroke of a pen. If anything, social media has offered a megaphone for blatant racism and made it more acceptable. 

I've never had such a bleak outlook on the U.S. But I just don't see it getting any better. 

I have a bleak outlook for the world as a whole at this point.  I'll say it again.  Madonna was SO tuned in during her MDNA tour and felt all this shit coming.  So prophetic looking back on all of it now. 

4 hours ago, KalamazooJay said:

They're obsessed with their hatred for him. He's black. His middle name is Hussein. He's an 'elitist'. And they've successfully branded him as a Kenyan Muslim which has exposed the horrendous racist underbelly this nation has always tried to pretend hasn't existed since the end of segregation. But it has. It's never just gone away with the stroke of a pen. If anything, social media has offered a megaphone for blatant racism and made it more acceptable.

Yep. (Never mind the fact that he is technically mixed, with a white mother. :lmao: Not that it would make a lick of difference in their mind, but they always seem to leave out that little detail).   

And it all started right at the beginning of his presidency. Essentially the whole Trump/neo-fascist movement in the right-wing organized itself starting with the Tea Party movement. It always pisses me off when they complain about liberals being "triggered" or "snowflakes" or "not accepting Trump's win". Not only are they fucking stupid, they lack any sense of self-awareness. They were throwing the biggest tantrums when Obama won. From. Day. One.  I mean, really, look at what they complain about 24/7. Talk about triggered. For all the criticism the left gets for playing too much "identity politics", the right plays it just as much. They just play their own version of it.  And they're good at it. I mean, give these folks an inch, and they'll send us queers right back to the Reagan days. It IS on their agenda.

What does give me a little hope is that when you look at the studies, most younger generations turn most of this country solidly blue. The problem is, most of these folks (many of who are already of voting age) don't vote. (Not to mention, they don't really understand how elections work.)  If only they truly understood their own power... but they don't. They give it all away. And the right-wing counts on it.

4 hours ago, KalamazooJay said:

I've never had such a bleak outlook on the U.S. But I just don't see it getting any better. 

Considering no one will be able to get or afford healthcare...we won't have to worry much longer anyway.

1 hour ago, Skin said:

I have a bleak outlook for the world as a whole at this point.  I'll say it again.  Madonna was SO tuned in during her MDNA tour and felt all this shit coming.  So prophetic looking back on all of it now. 

She took an entire world tour to sound the alarm. 

AND...she continued it with a fabulous/stunning/poignant short film broadcast on the streets around the world.

NO other pop bitch (male or female) did. Or could. Or even tried.  Never forget that.

6 hours ago, VogueMusic said:

She took an entire world tour to sound the alarm. 

AND...she continued it with a fabulous/stunning/poignant short film broadcast on the streets around the world.

NO other pop bitch (male or female) did. Or could. Or even tried.  Never forget that.

But the amazing thing about it is that during the tour she made sure to be so tuned in.  Most pop stars would be so contained in their bubble they would have no clue what was going on in the world around them.