Ugly Hecty

Billboard's 100 Greatest Award Show Performances Of All Time

38 posts in this topic

http://www.billboard.com/articles/news/grammys/7677099/best-award-show-performances-of-all-time

74. Madonna, Britney Spears, Christina Aguilera & Missy Elliott, "Like a Virgin" / "Hollywood" (MTV Video Music Awards, 2003)

Britney Spears and Madonna onstage during the Grammys in 2003. 

Ten points if you even remember what songs were performed in this one! The all-star kick-off to the '03 VMAs was meant to pay tribute to Madonna's MTV legacy while promoting her latest American Life single -- and it accomplished both pretty well -- but let's be honest: all anyone took from it was the kiss between Madge and Britney (and to a lesser extent Xtina), the first proto-viral moment to make us all wish, "If only the Internet had somewhere we could all react to this at the same time..."

24. Madonna, "Vogue" (MTV Video Music Awards, 1990)

Madonna performs her single 'Vogue' on the '1990 MTV Video Music Awards' show on Sept. 6, 1990. 

Hard to create an iconic live performance of a song that already has a classic music video, but no one's done it more often than Madonna, who threw back the old-Hollywood glamor of "Vogue" centuries further into Dangerous Liasons-era France at the '90 VMAs. Combining the classic with the confrontational -- plenty of fondling and flashing to be found amidst the expert choreography -- like only Madge can, "Vogue" raised the standard for lip-synced live performance, and remains a beautiful, magical high point of the artist's imperial phase.

2. Madonna, "Like a Virgin" (MTV Video Music Awards, 1984)

The singing is occasionally pitchy, the staging feels a bit haphazard, and the presentation is downright low-budget by modern-day standards. But if you had to pick one four-minute clip to demonstrate what an award-show performance could and should be at its best, there'd be absolutely no debate: Madonna's "Like a Virgin," in which she stepped down from a wedding cake at the very first Video Music Awards and writhed her way into the heart of the 1980s. Before Madonna, the best award-show performances could hope for was to get people to buy the record, after her, they became the historical record; the way we remember stars at their most iconic, and the way they demonstrate their immortality, no matter whose names are on the night's envelopes. It's the veritable big bang for the format as pop art.

And the #1...

1. Beyonce, Lemonade Medley (MTV Video Music Awards, 2016)

:megamanson:

The media's obsession with her makes me sick. When will people stop kissing her ass?

The way each of those comments manage to shade M :americanlife:

And Caca @ #5 is just :rotfl:

love the 1984 perfomance but 1990 vogue is hella cool too! 

Madonna queen of stage 

Edited by littleGuzman

lmao @ the Lemonade medley being musically/creatively/visually superior than Madonna anything.  Even Shanti/Ashtangi + Ray of Light was better

and where tf is Sooner or Later? And Hung Up at the EMAs?

awesome she came in at number two, but that beyonce performance at 1!?! I dont understand why everyones thinks shes just a great performer...she's good, not all that

22 minutes ago, Mistachristopha said:

awesome she came in at number two, but that beyonce performance at 1!?! I dont understand why everyones thinks shes just a great performer...she's good, not all that

Seeing Bey at #1 and MJ's 15 minute medley at the VMA's lost there in the middle hurt my eyes tbh.

44 minutes ago, madonna_fan1988 said:

Seeing Bey at #1 and MJ's 15 minute medley at the VMA's lost there in the middle hurt my eyes tbh.

i know! Is it payola or just stupid horrible people making theses lists?

14 minutes ago, Mistachristopha said:

i know! Is it payola or just stupid horrible people making theses lists?

Both

beyonce at no.1? its getting sicker and sicker. they need to stop kissing her ass soon and i could vomit.

i mean whats so special? it changed the industry or history? it did nothing.

huh...

2 hours ago, veroelectronica said:

beyonce at no.1? its getting sicker and sicker. they need to stop kissing her ass soon and i could vomit.

i mean whats so special? it changed the industry or history? it did nothing.

huh...

It is the way the stupid media works at the moment.  Beyonce, Gaga, Adele and Taylor Swift are treated like they invented music.  None of them have done any performances that can even remotely match Madonna's iconic performances. 

Madonna's EMA performance of "Hung Up" is of course the best Award Show performance of ALL TIME.

PERIOD.

END OF DISCUSSION.

i thought MJ is gonna be #1! But, Beyonce? Ugh!

Am sorry but Like A Virgin should have been No ONE . Back then Madonna didn't have the technology /budget to pull of what Beyonce did with Lemonade.

It was just Madonna and a gigantic cardboard cake .She deserves to be No 1 and Vogue MTV 1190 deserves to be in Top 10 !

Notice that so many writers who create these lists don't even seem to be very knowledgeable or lovers of pop music. Most of time you can guess who will be in the top five, but was surprised that they allowed Madonna to rank so high.😀

M's Like a Virgin at VMAs or Michael's Billie Jean performance at Motown 25 should be number 1/2, respectively. 

Even Vogue at VMAs 90 deserves to be MUCH higher.

FUCK Billboard.

It took Beyoncé 18 Minutes, multiple songs, loads of pyro and about 40 back-up dancers to reach #1

What did Madonna have to do for her #2 spot? So stop complaining. 

Billboard can go and suck Gaga's dick. Nothing they put out is legit...

12 hours ago, Ugly Hecty said:

And the #1...

1. Beyonce, Lemonade Medley (MTV Video Music Awards, 2016)

:megamanson:

The media's obsession with her makes me sick. When will people stop kissing her ass?

lIkXTai.gif

well at least Isacharris will be happy and Diversity1234567890 must be orgasmic with Beeyawnce's black superiority....meh!

This is the most hilarious and ridiculous list ever.

Really Billboard? :blink: 

:ohgoodgrief: