Mattress

"Give Me All Your Luvin'", the last Top 10 Hot 100 hit of her generation.

134 posts in this topic

4 hours ago, Confessit said:

Let's be honest without Super Bowl and Nicky Minaj GMAYL would of gone the same way LFL did.

It had minor attention for 5 mins on the back of her incedible halftime.

I can only imagine what would of happened if she'd of taken soemthing like Music or Hung Up there as a new single!

But GMAYL was certianly a weak choice to unveil in her performance......I blame WE, it sapped so much of her time MDNA was thrown together last minute, as was GMAYL.

Yeah but the following week it was still in the top 40 second week hence I classify it as a moderate hit, just like Get Together, Love Profusion etc. you're right in regards it was due to super bowl. It's kind of like Gagas chart positions at the moment - top 10 - following week - number 37 - number 67 - out.

Madonna please use payola and other tactics to get mega hits. Plus a good record label :smoke:

On 10 February 2017 at 0:23 AM, Arnian said:

I am convinced it was originally a dish track on Lady Gaga but then she changed it later.  It's quite apparent if you listen to it with that in mind.

After all the tour performance is essentially what she wanted to do in the Super Bowl show, but the producers wouldn't let her have the marching band come in from the ceiling. So it was definitely designed to come after Express Yourself

I very much doubt it was a diss track. Madonna didn't even come up with the use for the track or the idea to include a cheerleader chant. Solveig came up with most of it. 

I really believe there isn't and has never been a feud between the two of them. It's for the most part a figment of fan imagination and the propensity of a lot of gay guys to create drama and see shade in everything.

Madonna has seen them come and seem them go for 30 years, I don't think a woman with as much going on in her life as she does and with the intelligence level that she has, is sitting around thinking about Lady Gaga.

On 2/9/2017 at 11:23 AM, Arnian said:

I am convinced it was originally a dish track on Lady Gaga but then she changed it later.  It's quite apparent if you listen to it with that in mind.

After all the tour performance is essentially what she wanted to do in the Super Bowl show, but the producers wouldn't let her have the marching band come in from the ceiling. So it was definitely designed to come after Express Yourself

It's pretty obvious.  Gaga gave Madonna no love or credit (Gaga was a fucking bitch who never gave any credit to Madonna - only to other people like Whitney Houston while she was OBVIOUSLY FUCKING DRESSED AS MADONNA IN THE SAME SPEECH).

Madonna is saying Gaga should have given her love.  Don't play the stupid game (which is what Gaga played).  Madonna is a "different kind of girl".  She's not going to put up with Gaga's shit.

This is a REALLY impressive achievement, among the many many remarkable chart achievements of her career.

I hope she can rack up another one. For some reason, I'm thinking a Ghosttown-esque ballad is her best chance for something to really click with the public, but who knows.

16 hours ago, Rugbyguy said:

I very much doubt it was a diss track. Madonna didn't even come up with the use for the track or the idea to include a cheerleader chant. Solveig came up with most of it. 

I really believe there isn't and has never been a feud between the two of them. It's for the most part a figment of fan imagination and the propensity of a lot of gay guys to create drama and see shade in everything.

Madonna has seen them come and seem them go for 30 years, I don't think a woman with as much going on in her life as she does and with the intelligence level that she has, is sitting around thinking about Lady Gaga.

Nah... they don't like each other. There's probably not the kind of hatred the fan bases share. But Madonna is not stupid, she knows that ever since Gaga appeared she tried to diminish her accomplishments and basically steal her career, life story and fans. 

I was getting my life to this track earlier today! Let's dance! 💃🏽💃🏽💃🏽

Dreaming of 40 top tens.......

On 2/13/2017 at 11:12 PM, Rugbyguy said:

Madonna is credited as a writer and created the song with Solveig over the course of a few days and also did "I Don't Give A," and TUTR at the same time. There's a common theme between IDGA and GMAYL. TUTR is the one where Madonna added some lyrics and production but it was mostly a finished Solveig track.

The feud is %100 real. I don't see how you can say otherwise. So real for Madonna that she chose to perform a mash up of her song with Gargoyle's song to prove that they were the same on her entire tour. Literally every night she did that and with a back drop making fun of Monsters and the way they consume other artist's work unknowingly. If Madonna felt the necessity to do that then it was very real for her.

I should explain it better that it's not a straight up dish track but more "I see what you're doing, you don't know who you're fucking with, and you need to own up to it." More a call out

"I see you coming and I don't wanna know your name
I see you coming and you're gonna have to change the game
Would you like to try?
Give me a reason why
Give me all that you got
Maybe you'll do fine
As long as you don't lie to me
And pretend to be what you're not
Don't play the stupid game
Cause I'm a different kind of girl
Every record sounds the same
You've got to step into my world"
The very opening of the song is practically a call out. I especially feel it with the "maybe you'll do fine, as long as you don't lie to me, and pretend to be what you're not" lines. Then followed by "don't play the stupid game" lines. 
Anyone who followed the BTW controversy knows Gargoyle never owned up to the record sounding like EY and was quite hostile to those accusations. 
I do think Madonna put it behind her later but she was out to prove a point with MDNA and the Tour. She wasn't going to let it go without calling her out. Not just for EY but all of the copying.

On ‎08‎/‎02‎/‎2017 at 0:10 PM, Crux said:

I've always loved it. Don't get why so many people dislike it.

This!

And the video, wow :inlove:

Two days later we got the SB. And a mere four months later another outstanding tour. What a fantastic era

GMAYL has always reminded me of this late 90s song. Love it

homage or....

anyway i didnt understand the title until i read the first post in this thread. 

9 hours ago, Arnian said:

Madonna is credited as a writer and created the song with Solveig over the course of a few days and also did "I Don't Give A," and TUTR at the same time. There's a common theme between IDGA and GMAYL. TUTR is the one where Madonna added some lyrics and production but it was mostly a finished Solveig track. 

GMAYL was a ready demo Solveig pitched to Madonna when she expressed interest in working with him. There is an early demo of the track sung by a session singer which includes slightly different lyrics. Madonna rewrote some lines but the song was not conceived together with Solveig. Same goes for TUTR, whose original version (vocalled by Sunday Girl) was set to appear on the reissue of Martin’s album.

Edited by Melody_Maker

On 16/02/2017 at 6:19 PM, Melody_Maker said:

GMAYL was a ready demo Solveig pitched to Madonna when she expressed interest in working with him. There is an early demo of the track sung by a session singer which includes slightly different lyrics. Madonna rewrote some lines but the song was not conceived together with Solveig. Same goes for TUTR, whose original version (vocalled by Sunday Girl) was set to appear on the reissue of Martin’s album.

This is the first mention I've ever seen of a non-Madonna demo of GMAYL.  Do you have a link?  I think everyone would be fascinated to hear it.  Martin commented that he came up with a dubstep section and Madonna thought it was too "hard" for her, so they came up with something softer.  This indicates that they actually did collaborate on the creation of the song (Martin has also commented on how hands on Madonna is in the studio).

TUTR's demo has been available on YouTube since 2012 - Martin himself said that Madonna took the song and made it into a Madonna song.  The lyrics of the verses are very different (Madonna's input) and she altered the melody.

I seen the video on at the gym this week which was a pleasant little surprise. Of course i'm looking around at the other people to see their reactions to the video but no one was paying attention :(

5 hours ago, Carta said:

This is the first mention I've ever seen of a non-Madonna demo of GMAYL.  Do you have a link?  I think everyone would be fascinated to hear it.  Martin commented that he came up with a dubstep section and Madonna thought it was too "hard" for her, so they came up with something softer.  This indicates that they actually did collaborate on the creation of the song (Martin has also commented on how hands on Madonna is in the studio).

TUTR's demo has been available on YouTube since 2012 - Martin himself said that Madonna took the song and made it into a Madonna song.  The lyrics of the verses are very different (Madonna's input) and she altered the melody.

I've never heard that either, from a poster with 1 post so it's doubtful lol

This song should have been a buzz single for the superbowl in oct/nov 11'.

The natural lead single of MDNA was Girl Gone Wild. I always think in a trilogy: Girl Gone Wild - Gang Bang - Beautiful Killer. 

On 08/02/2017 at 4:26 AM, Mattress said:

Madonna Is truly the last man standing.

Sure, charts aren't all that important, BUT while we collectively tend to mock the Super Bowl boost "Give Me All Your Luvin'" received in 2012, it places Madonna YEARS beyond her "peers" in terms of U.S. Billboard chart success. It's, thus far, the last Top 10 Hot 100 hit of her generation of hitmakers in the U.S.... only five years ago!

Prince's last Top 10 hit charted in 1994,  George's in 1996, Gloria's in 1999, Michael and Janet's came in 2001, Whitney's also in 2001 (a re-release of 1991's Super Bowl "Star Spangled Banner" in the wake of 9/11)... Mariah --who started right after "Vogue" in 1990-- enjoyed a brief post-9/11 resurgance in 2005 that ended with her final Top 10 in 2009... but Madonna? 2012. THE ONLY ONE THIS DECADE.

BOW DOWN.

That's very interesting!

And who's Gloria? Estefan?

On 2/7/2017 at 11:26 PM, Mattress said:

Sure, charts aren't all that important, BUT while we collectively tend to mock the Super Bowl boost "Give Me All Your Luvin'" received in 2012, it places Madonna YEARS beyond her "peers" in terms of U.S. Billboard chart success. It's, thus far, the last Top 10 Hot 100 hit of her generation of hitmakers in the U.S.... only five years ago!

Prince's last Top 10 hit charted in 1994,  George's in 1996, Gloria's in 1999, Michael and Janet's came in 2001, Whitney's also in 2001 (a re-release of 1991's Super Bowl "Star Spangled Banner" in the wake of 9/11)... Mariah --who started right after "Vogue" in 1990-- enjoyed a brief post-9/11 resurgance in 2005 that ended with her final Top 10 in 2009... but Madonna? 2012. THE ONLY ONE THIS DECADE.

BOW DOWN.

This fact is even more impressive when you realize that only 10 acts that charted their first hit on the Hot 100 in the 90's (and who are still alive) managed to have a Top 10 this decade:

1. Dr. Dre (1992-2011) 19 years from first Hot 100 charting - 2002 #8 Die Another Day.
  2. Snoop Dogg (1993-2012) 19 years from first Hot 100 charting - 2002 #8 Die Another Day.
  3. Usher (1994-2012) - 18 years from first Hot 100 charting - 2001 #4 Don't Tell Me.
  4. Jay-Z (1996-2013) 17 years from first Hot 100 charting - 2000 #1 Music.
  5. Britney Spears* (1998-2012) 14 years from first Hot 100 charting - 1997 #8 DCFMA.
  6. Christina Aguilera* (1999-2013) 14 years from first Hot 100 charting - 1997 #8 DCFMA.
  7. Eminem* (1999-2013) 14 years from first Hot 100 charting - 1997 #8 DCFMA.
  8. Enrique Iglesias* (1999-2011) 12 years from first Hot 100 charting - 1995 #1 Take A Bow.
  9. Jennifer Lopez* (1999-2011) 12 years from first Hot 100 charting - 1995 #1 Take A Bow.
  10. Train* (1999-2012) 13 years from first Hot 100 charting - 1996 #6 You'll See.

Madonna is the only act from the 80's. The only artists from this list that had a Top 10 after her were Jay-Z, Eminem and Christina Aguilera (all in 2013).

BOW DOWN.

On 2/7/2017 at 8:26 PM, Mattress said:

BOW DOWN.

2 hours ago, mnino said:

This fact is even more impressive when you realize that only 10 acts that charted their first hit on the Hot 100 in the 90's (and who are still alive) managed to have a Top 10 this decade:

1. Dr. Dre (1992-2011) 19 years from first Hot 100 charting - 2002 #8 Die Another Day.
  2. Snoop Dogg (1993-2012) 19 years from first Hot 100 charting - 2002 #8 Die Another Day.
  3. Usher (1994-2012) - 18 years from first Hot 100 charting - 2001 #4 Don't Tell Me.
  4. Jay-Z (1996-2013) 17 years from first Hot 100 charting - 2000 #1 Music.
  5. Britney Spears* (1998-2012) 14 years from first Hot 100 charting - 1997 #8 DCFMA.
  6. Christina Aguilera* (1999-2013) 14 years from first Hot 100 charting - 1997 #8 DCFMA.
  7. Eminem* (1999-2013) 14 years from first Hot 100 charting - 1997 #8 DCFMA.
  8. Enrique Iglesias* (1999-2011) 12 years from first Hot 100 charting - 1995 #1 Take A Bow.
  9. Jennifer Lopez* (1999-2011) 12 years from first Hot 100 charting - 1995 #1 Take A Bow.
  10. Train* (1999-2012) 13 years from first Hot 100 charting - 1996 #6 You'll See.

Madonna is the only act from the 80's. The only artists from this list that had a Top 10 after her were Jay-Z, Eminem and Christina Aguilera (all in 2013).

BOW DOWN.

Facts like these really do put it all into perspective. Love it.

On 2/14/2017 at 1:19 PM, IsaacHarris said:

I was getting my life to this track earlier today! Let's dance! 💃🏽💃🏽💃🏽

It's a fabulous little ditty. Never quite understood the hate for it.

But the video...good god!  One of her absolute BEST of the last decade.

20 hours ago, Arnian said:

I've never heard that either, from a poster with 1 post so it's doubtful lol

LOL 

FYI, there is a clip from the pitched demo on SoundCloud and it's sung by Sunday Girl (who also recorded the original TUTR): 

Edited by Melody_Maker

GMAYL is a good song. No it's not Madonnas best song, it's fun loving and is very much a throw back to classic Madonna.

The issue I've always had with it is that it was a lead, and was released to carry/promote her biggest gig of all the time, Super Bowl and launch her new album MDNA.

It wasn't strong enough to do that, Madonnas lead singles have always been historically strong but GMAYL didn't pack the same kind of punch, and that's why I think so many fans have issues with it.

1 hour ago, Confessit said:

GMAYL is a good song. No it's not Madonnas best song, it's fun loving and is very much a throw back to classic Madonna.

The issue I've always had with it is that it was a lead, and was released to carry/promote her biggest gig of all the time, Super Bowl and launch her new album MDNA.

It wasn't strong enough to do that, Madonnas lead singles have always been historically strong but GMAYL didn't pack the same kind of punch, and that's why I think so many fans have issues with it.

Agreed, but I think It worked great in the context of the Super Bowl. The performance was ace. 

23 minutes ago, Pedro said:

Agreed, but I think It worked great in the context of the Super Bowl. The performance was ace. 

Yes to a certain extent I agree.

However, the other side of me wishes she'd if tsken something better to the gig to unveil....something like 4 minutes or hung up would of been a sure fire number 1 after that exposure !