MadonnaNation.com Forums
Sign in to follow this  
le smoking

HMV Canada closing all stores

This is the most awful news tbh, Canadians won't really have a place to buy music anymore once they close down :( I've been going to the flagship store since I was a kid and still go there all the time

http://www.torontosun.com/2017/01/27/hmv-canada-undergoing-nationwide-closures

TORONTO — An Ontario Superior Court of Justice approved an application to place HMV Canada Inc. into receivership on Friday.

HUK 10 Ltd., which lent money to the struggling chain, filed the application to the court Thursday.

It claimed HMV owes it nearly $39 million and has received no cash payments since Nov. 2014.

HMV would require between $2 million and $5 million annually in cash to stay open, according to court filings, and the company was losing $100,000 a day as customers turned towards online media in recent years.

Senior Justice Geoffrey B. Morawetz approved the application and appointed Gordon Brothers Canada ULC and Merchant Retail Solutions ULC as the agent to sell HMV’s remaining merchandise.

Legal documents state that closing stores must cease operations by April 30.

HMV operates 102 stores in Canada and employs about 1,340 people, most of them at its retail locations.

It was inevitable, but it is sad. I had not been there for years, but I spent my teenage years in these stores. It is the end of an era.😢

:( Shame where are Canadians going to buy cd singles from now then?

There's only one or two left here now, such a shame. 

they need to move to japan cds are still popular. 

My local music stores shut down ages ago including HMV. The only HMV's I know of now are in Oxford Street & Westfield. It's a sad state of affairs, I love buying physical music. One of my favourite things to do was browse record stores, HMV was always overpriced, but... to know browsing record stores is a pretty much a thing of the past is so sad.

amazon should buy one, in all the big cities, not so much as a store but as reminder of all the music it´s available...I love to browse cds and vinyls...

1 hour ago, promise to try said:

I love to browse cds and vinyls...

Me too! I buy all my music physical.

Do you guys still have independent stores? HMV died in Australia years ago now. But we have JB Hi-fi who have CD and vinyl...though in ever reducing numbers. Plus there are several independents. 

It's heartbreaking to see the death of record stores. 

^^^ I agree. This is the end of an era, :(

17 hours ago, San said:

Do you guys still have independent stores? HMV died in Australia years ago now. But we have JB Hi-fi who have CD and vinyl...though in ever reducing numbers. Plus there are several independents. 

I don't even know of any independent CD stores here? Most of them closed down 10 years ago and the ones remaining are either secondhand or only deal with vinyl...it sucks so much that I won't be able to walk into the store to buy Madonna's next album :( 

Apart from Wal Mart (which barely has a selection) I don't even know where else Canadians would buy music or movies now

On January 27, 2017 at 11:02 PM, Barney said:

There's only one or two left here now, such a shame. 

I'm extra sad about the one near me closing cuz that's where I met the legendary Geraldine Estelle Halliwell :(

8 hours ago, le smoking said:

I'm extra sad about the one near me closing cuz that's where I met the legendary Geraldine Estelle Halliwell :(

Well you still can see her at Asda supermarket if she happens to be there for album signing again for her new album in the future.

There is no independant music store in Toronto? I'm surprised about that. 

There are still a couple independent stores in Berkeley and San Francisco, but I that's a four hour drive for me.  Not like I can just go down on a whim.  

@Pud Whacker, another reason for us to meet up in SF.  Madonna shopping!

Let's get this done. 

I miss the independent local music stores... in these chain stores, the archive spirit is absent... itunes killed it all :( here in Turkey, we have now a few chain stores and i hate them. Back in the 90s, it was hard to find the single CDs but now it is even impossible to find many albums too. 

i am just so sorry for the teenagers of this new decade 

Guest Pud Whacker
2 hours ago, WeboGirl said:

There are still a couple independent stores in Berkeley and San Francisco, but I that's a four hour drive for me.  Not like I can just go down on a whim.  

@Pud Whacker, another reason for us to meet up in SF.  Madonna shopping!

Let's get this done. 

:headbang:

HMV was such a big part of my life! I spent so much time there looking for imports. Our's is now a burger restaurant.

I buy all my stuff online now. There's one independent record shop here but M isn't one of the artists they carry and I have virtually all of her mainstream output. 

IS Archambault still open on Berri and Ste-Catherine in downtown Montréal??? If not I'll drive the fifty minutes to Plattsburgh New York to get to a record store. 

Rip hmv. U were an amazing friend. I'll miss u forever

9 hours ago, spotlight said:

IS Archambault still open on Berri and Ste-Catherine in downtown Montréal??? If not I'll drive the fifty minutes to Plattsburgh New York to get to a record store. 

Rip hmv. U were an amazing friend. I'll miss u forever

Yes it's still there. Not sure for how long, though

11 minutes ago, runa said:

Yes it's still there. Not sure for how long, though

Thx runa. Hope it stays there for a longtime. Given that hmv is gone now, or soon to be, that can only be good for Archambault prroperity. 

Never been to HMV but apparently its overpriced. The one on Oxford street used to have a singles collection. Here in Aus, only ones we have left are JB Hi Fi and Sanity (This one is way over priced and limited selection to). Also K-Mart, Big W etc still carry a selection of  CDs but its very tiny and shoved in the corner of the department store, barely visible to the public.

Now the one on Oxford Street in London is closing! Yet the ones in Asia are so lit...I went to a couple in Hong Kong and Japan and they were huge stores that carried a ton of CDs as well as clothes, books, magazines etc.  Some even had event spaces and cafes

On 3/2/2017 at 10:20 AM, le smoking said:

Now the one on Oxford Street in London is closing! Yet the ones in Asia are so lit...I went to a couple in Hong Kong and Japan and they were huge stores that carried a ton of CDs as well as clothes, books, magazines etc.  Some even had event spaces and cafes

What?????

Theyve been talking about that for years, I hoped it would never happen. I dont see why, its always busy? Same as Manchester.