MadonnaNation.com Forums
Pedro

Trump / US politics thread ūüöĹ

Hector    0

Rosie O’Donnell was trending on Twitter earlier with people urging Saturday Night Live to have her go on as Steve Bannon. And Donald Trump too. She's game! 

Make it happen SNL! Rosie, finish him! :IMG_1564:

Oh my god this SO needs and I think will happen!!! :D Will be absolutely epic! Perfect casting and timing. She's been destroying him on Twitter like 24/7 so just for her to get out would be great lol  Rosie and Alec are buds so...dunno why this would NOT happen unless Rosie has pissed off some senior SNL people like Lorne Michaels etc...lol She's def has been on at least a few x (hosted etc..). Again, it'll all come down to where things stand. I'm sure she would've rejected the idea asap if Rosie was salty at SNL or visa versa lol I adore her but hate to say it but she doesn't play well w/ others :/ lol

mnino    0
25 minutes ago, KalamazooJay said:

This is pretty damn accurate. 

IMG_1927.JPG

Food for thought.

Guest Pud Whacker   
Guest Pud Whacker
39 minutes ago, KalamazooJay said:

This is pretty damn accurate. 

IMG_1927.JPG

:rotfl:

Get ready, Lena Dumphole might lose another 3 lbs. 

Hector    0

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2017/02/07/betty-devos-education-secretary-confirmation/97589282/

Betsy DeVos confirmed Education secretary; Pence casts deciding vote

Todd Spangler, Detroit Free PressPublished 12:29 p.m. ET Feb. 7, 2017 | Updated 45 minutes ago

636202874742196609_b03_v2_devos_0118.jpg

WASHINGTON ‚ÄĒ The¬†Senate confirmed¬†Betsy DeVos¬†as the nation's 11th Education secretary Tuesday in a historic vote, ending a tumultuous battle over her nomination.

DeVos, 59, has long been a polarizing figure in Michigan's political and education circles for her support of school vouchers and charter schools. In the weeks since a rocky confirmation hearing, she became a cause celebre for opponents who say she is unfit and unqualified to serve. Congressional offices were inundated with angry calls urging her to be rejected, she was the subject of angry teacher protests nationwide, and her performance as a nominee was ridiculed on Saturday Night Live.

With only two Republican members of the Senate ‚ÄĒ¬†Susan Collins¬†of Maine and¬†Lisa Murkowski¬†of Alaska ‚ÄĒ refusing to support DeVos' nomination,¬†it left Democrats with a 50-50 tie to block her.¬†Vice President Pence, in his role as Senate president,¬†cast the tiebreaking vote in her favor.

It marked the first time in U.S. history that a vice president was called upon to break a tie vote over a presidential Cabinet nomination, which are usually routine votes regardless of which party is in power: No nominee has been rejected since John Tower's nomination as Defense secretary in 1989. In order to confirm DeVos, Republicans also held off confirming Sen. Jeff Sessions, R-Ala., as attorney general, needing his vote.

Reaction to DeVos' confirmation was swift.

Donna Brazile, interim chair of the Democratic National Committee, targeted potentially vulnerable senators who backed DeVos for defeat in 2018, including Jeff Flake of Arizona and Dean Heller of Nevada. She said "their constituents ... will cast their votes next year to kick them out of office for selling out their state’s public schoolchildren."

Randi Weingarten, president of the 1.6-million-member American Federation for Teachers, said the outcry over DeVos' nomination showed that, "the 'public' in public education has never been more visible or more vocal."

The conservative Club for Growth applauded the victory, saying DeVos beat back a "full-court press" by teachers unions, aided in part by its own "six-figure investment in TV and digital ads and robocalls to caution potential Republican defectors."

Michigan Attorney General Bill Schuette, a likely GOP candidate for governor next year, also praised the vote. "For 28 years, Betsy DeVos has made it her mission to ensure children receive a quality education, and now she will be able to do that on a much large scale."

As secretary, DeVos takes over an agency with about 4,500 employees and a budget of about $70 billion that administers and establishes policies for federal assistance to the states for secondary schools and higher education, as well as helping to enforce federal laws involving schools.

Some Republicans have called for the department's dissolution, arguing it is a federal intrusion into what should be a purely state and local institution. However, DeVos has vowed not only to enforce public laws but to support traditional public schools, saying she advocates for any kind of school that gives parents and students the choices they want.

DeVos said at her hearing she supports "any great school" ‚ÄĒ including public schools and those beyond what "the (public school) system thinks is best for kids, to what moms and dads want, expect and deserve."

Democrats, noting that she and her wealthy family ‚ÄĒ she is the wife of¬†Amway¬†heir ¬†Dick DeVos, a former Republican candidate for Michigan governor ‚ÄĒ have spent millions on behalf of conservative candidates and causes,¬†rejected her claims. They said she had no experience as an educator, administrator or even as a parent or student in public schools. Collins and Murkowski, too, said they worried that her commitment to public schools was not great enough to earn their support, since there are few choices to public schools in their rural states.

Democrats went further. They argued that she doesn't understand the policies she'll be tasked with enforcing, noting that in her hearing  she fumbled a question about a landmark 1975 law protecting education for students with disabilities, seeming unaware of the law. She also made a joke at the hearing, saying she would not necessarily support banning guns from all schools because of the potential threat from grizzly bears in some wilderness areas.

"It's not Democrats who are bitter about the election," said Senate Minority LeaderChuck Schumer, D-N.Y. "It's the American people who are bitter about the nomination of Betsy DeVos." He added that she "could not answer the most fundamental questions about public education."

But even as Democrats went to the Senate floor to talk about DeVos throughout the night Monday, Republicans continued to defend her, saying her support of charter schools and school choice, if anything, suggests a secretary who is prepared to shake up traditional education.

‚ÄúI have every confidence that Mrs. DeVos will lead the Department of Education in such a way as to put our students first,‚ÄĚ Senate Majority Leader¬†Mitch McConnell, R-Ky., said Monday. Last week, after Collins and Murkowski announced their rejection of DeVos, other potential Republican targets quickly coalesced around her.¬†Sen. Jeff Flake, R-Ariz., tweeted, "Lest there be any doubt about how I'm voting on @BetsyDeVos she had me at 'school choice'¬†years ago."

As Republicans and DeVos' supporters argued that her support of charter schools in Michigan has led to improvements in education, Democrats and DeVos' other critics said the evidence suggests¬†otherwise, such as in Detroit.¬†While DeVos has said¬†‚Äúa lot that has gone right in Detroit‚ÄĚ because of¬†charter schools given the level of poverty, data¬†from¬†Detroit Public Schools¬†and charters schools have shown¬†neither with particularly strong results.

A Free Press review of 2015 results on the Michigan Student Test of Educational Performance showed that 9.6% of students in the district were considered proficient on the exam, compared with 14.5% of charter schools. DeVos has also been criticized in Michigan as having helped to defeat efforts to subject charter schools to more scrutiny.

Speaking on the Senate floor Monday,¬†Sen. Debbie Stabenow, D-Mich., argued against DeVos‚Äô confirmation, saying she has ‚Äúundermined efforts to regulate Michigan charters even when they‚Äôve clearly failed‚ÄĚ and that ‚Äúher hostility toward public education disqualifies her.‚ÄĚ

DeVos' support of school vouchers, which allow public money to follow students to the schools of their choice, and charter schools, which often operate outside the traditional neighborhood public school system, goes back decades. While supporters say they generate competition and give students and parents important educational choices, detractors say they can rob traditional public schools of support. Many Democrats support charter schools as well, however.

anastaza    0

BREAKING: Senate confirms pile of campaign money as Secretary of Education.

Jazzy Jan    0

Reading up on her views and ideology on education, with Betsy Devos being chosen as Secretary of education,  I feel great pity for teachers, parents and most of all public school pupils.  Dreadful decision and not at all helpful to families and public schools.  The gap between Public and private schools will get bigger and wider.  

I have a different take on the DeVos family since I live in their backyard. Grand Rapids is only 40 minutes north of Kalamazoo and I know many business leaders within our community who know them well and talk about how they're a extremely kind, generous family. Republicans and democrats alike. Plus, their philanthropy must be commended in what it's helped do for Grand Rapids and west Michigan a whole. While I disagree with them on pretty much every issue politically, they're not as ideological as the national media would have you believe. 

That all being said, Betsy DeVos has absolutely no business being within 100 miles of the Dept. of Education. She is without question one of the most unqualified individuals to ever run a national department I've ever seen in my lifetime. 

Make no mistake, she was chosen to be a pawn while Trumps stooges dismantle public education. Many local republican leaders here in Michigan are aghast at the notion she even accepted it and truly believe there may be some kind of blackmail between Trump and the DeVos family regarding business ties with their company, Amway, which operates in over 100 countries around the world. 

The DeVos family despises Trump and never endorsed him so sadly it makes sense. There absolutely needs to be a congressional investigation into the ties these two families may have. Then again, there's a mile long list of investigations when it comes to this monstrosity in the White House. 

Nikki    0

this is not healthy anymore

the comments who support it are worse

dollhouse    0

how does it feel living in a country where Trump "Grab them by the Pussy" rules, Mike "anti LGTB" Pence in the 2nd man, "Betsy" handles education and Gaga is the "brightest star"?

46 minutes ago, Roland Barthes said:

Aliens should chose to invade earth now. 

If I were an alien I'd stay far away from this dumpster fire right now. 

7 minutes ago, KalamazooJay said:

If I were an alien I'd stay far away from this dumpster fire right now. 

and wait for us to destroy everything and each others so they won't need to do it themselves. Good plan (and faster).

spazz    0
1 hour ago, pjcowley said:

giphy.gif

Total recall 

hahaha

i have its DVD

Kim    0
4 hours ago, Hector said:

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2017/02/07/betty-devos-education-secretary-confirmation/97589282/

Betsy DeVos confirmed Education secretary; Pence casts deciding vote

Todd Spangler, Detroit Free PressPublished 12:29 p.m. ET Feb. 7, 2017 | Updated 45 minutes ago

636202874742196609_b03_v2_devos_0118.jpg

WASHINGTON ‚ÄĒ The¬†Senate confirmed¬†Betsy DeVos¬†as the nation's 11th Education secretary Tuesday in a historic vote, ending a tumultuous battle over her nomination.

DeVos, 59, has long been a polarizing figure in Michigan's political and education circles for her support of school vouchers and charter schools. In the weeks since a rocky confirmation hearing, she became a cause celebre for opponents who say she is unfit and unqualified to serve. Congressional offices were inundated with angry calls urging her to be rejected, she was the subject of angry teacher protests nationwide, and her performance as a nominee was ridiculed on Saturday Night Live.

Is this the daft bitch that doesn't believe in evolution? Who joins the environmental secretary that doesn't believe in climate change?

What a sick country the US has become!

Guest Pud Whacker   
Guest Pud Whacker
3 hours ago, pjcowley said:

giphy.gif

That's awesome!!! :thumbsup:

Nessie    0

24 minutes ago, LSD said:

What for?? Are they planning to secede from the union again?? :wacko:

Hector    0

Asshole Republicans silenced Elizabeth Warren on the Senate floor tonight