Trump / US politics thread 🚽

Pedro

LBGTQ rights are honestly the last thing I'm worried about with this administration. And truly, I don't think they care too much either. And I think it's pretty insulting to stigmatize the notion that all gay men care about are rights. My husband and I do well for ourselves, own a home, have a great circle of friends and live in a  progressive area. I've had the fortune of dealing with very little, if any, discrimination as an adult. Now, middle school and high school, totally different story. 

But just because I don't deal with discrimination doesn't mean it's not out there. And that's what burns me with these women who say 'WELL I HAVE NEVER BEEN DISCRIMINATED AGAINST! THOSE WOMEN MARCHING DON'T SPEAK FOR ME!' Uh. Well, good for you. Glad you've been so fortunate. These women fall into two categories:

1. The 'gated community wives' who wear Vineyard VInes and either home school their kids and dress them, mold them, and pretty much train them on how to be popular IF they attend a private school. They drink chardonnay, get monthly facials and massages, and have this insidious notion that their multi million dollar homes will be the target of some heinous crime or terrorist attack in a suburb called Oak Shores or Willow Crossings. 
  2. The 'Deplorables' The women who live in the exurbs and pride themselves on wearing bejeweled jeans, heavy makeup (especially eyeliner) and adore how their redneck boyfriend talks down to them. The men they surround themselves with are the base of Trump's support and have basically trained these women to be nasty, loud, female versions of them. 

So while these women rage about 'women who don't speak for them' they take advantage of all the birth control measures put forth by the women who actually do get off of their asses and fight for the very rights that they don't think they 'need' or issues that don't 'affect them'. 

Wow. I'm sorry. I just took that off the rails. 

Anyway, Trump has given me far, far more to be concerned about that LBGTQ issues. 

Guest Pud Whacker
1 hour ago, svperstar said:

Yeah. Ok Pud. Keep telling yourself that people being angry is not justified if that makes you feel better. 

When you can get through an entire day without referencing your hate for Lady Gaga, maybe you can school the rest of us on having hatred for Donald Trump who is actually affecting public policy. Until then I think I will stick with what I believe in, thank you.

I don't see any reason to be nasty toward me. 

Fine. You're pissed at the LGBTQABXDEDGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ, too. 

He should have just wiped that away too. Since everyone overlooks it and evidently doesn't care. 

30 minutes ago, KalamazooJay said:

LBGTQ rights are honestly the last thing I'm worried about with this administration. And truly, I don't think they care too much either. And I think it's pretty insulting to stigmatize the notion that all gay men care about are rights. My husband and I do well for ourselves, own a home, have a great circle of friends and live in a  progressive area. I've had the fortune of dealing with very little, if any, discrimination as an adult. Now, middle school and high school, totally different story. 

But just because I don't deal with discrimination doesn't mean it's not out there. And that's what burns me with these women who say 'WELL I HAVE NEVER BEEN DISCRIMINATED AGAINST! THOSE WOMEN MARCHING DON'T SPEAK FOR ME!' Uh. Well, good for you. Glad you've been so fortunate. These women fall into two categories:

1. The 'gated community wives' who wear Vineyard VInes and either home school their kids and dress them, mold them, and pretty much train them on how to be popular IF they attend a private school. They drink chardonnay, get monthly facials and massages, and have this insidious notion that their multi million dollar homes will be the target of some heinous crime or terrorist attack in a suburb called Oak Shores or Willow Crossings. 
  2. The 'Deplorables' The women who live in the exurbs and pride themselves on wearing bejeweled jeans, heavy makeup (especially eyeliner) and adore how their redneck boyfriend talks down to them. The men they surround themselves with are the base of Trump's support and have basically trained these women to be nasty, loud, female versions of them. 

So while these women rage about 'women who don't speak for them' they take advantage of all the birth control measures put forth by the women who actually do get off of their asses and fight for the very rights that they don't think they 'need' or issues that don't 'affect them'. 

Wow. I'm sorry. I just took that off the rails. 

Anyway, Trump has given me far, far more to be concerned about that LBGTQ issues. 

Yes, young women who hate feminism and say they don't need it are also annoying. I would hate to think where they would be now without it.  No right to vote, no equal pay, no maternity leave for a start. Everyone in life should look out for each other.  Straight people should help fight for LBGTQ rights, men should want women to have equal rights and white people should fight for black lives matter.  We all should expect the same freedoms, rights and standards for everyone and share the fight together. 

9 hours ago, Nessie said:

I'm baffled how people act like "you are with us or against us".

Can't you realize that people can be against Donald Trump and at the same time despises the "alternative" choice they had during the election?

I don't understand why people MUST ignore everything that Obama did it bad in order to confront the current government.

Things are not like that. The americans had two very bad choices and no wonder this is a divided nation now.

Amen

This whole discussion is infinitely more layered than that and it goes back ages if we truly want to make sense of what's going on in the world now. Trump is simply a reality TV type of character under whom they will try to implement what they had in mind to implement all along, only they can do it a bit more forcibly and shamelessly because he comes from the Right. He's the Kardashian of the White House. It's just that when a Left politician does that, it is less noticeable and it's called "progressive". They illegally went into Iraq with a Republican in the WH and into Libya with a Democrat in the WH and everything we're seeing in Syria is deeply connected to Libya etc etc. Creating voids or destabilising entire regions fulfills these groups desire for chaos which in turn fullfills their objectives

The same way many people have been deceived with Pope Francis, with his mannerism of fake humility etc, when he's the first Jesuit pope in 500 years time since their existence and that alone should scare anyone who knows a thing or two about what Jesuitism is all about and where it comes from

The aim is to distract people from the fact that the same policies that we saw during the Bush years as far as giving more power to financial cartels (and the crushing of middle classes everywhere under the doctrine of a globalisation system that only globalises profits for the usual suspects while we wear $60 shirts made in Bangladesh for a quarter of a dollar and has very little to do with globalising humanity in its most noble sense), as far as immigration policies go and certainly as far as using terrorism as an asset for broader geopolitical gain goes, continued uninterruptedly during the Obama years

CHECK-USAGE-John-Kerry-President-Assad-d

6 months prior to his death sentence being carried out

BwbQxLzCMAAYpJ8.jpg

Gaddafi+and+his+former+friends.jpg

ententeelyseesarkozygaddafiassad.jpg

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/politics/stasi-trump-destroying-america-executive-order-time-article-1.2961039

STASI: Trump is destroying America one executive order at a time

LINDA STASI

NEW YORK DAILY NEWS

Tuesday, January 31, 2017, 10:32 PM

15gxsmx.jpg

The U.S. is unraveling with each executive order Trump signs. (POOL/GETTY IMAGES)

It took 10 days for the glue that holds this country together to crumble. And our democracy is unraveling as quickly as our new President can sign executive orders.

You’d think a builder would know how to hold a structure together — wouldn’t you?

Wrong.

But, as President The Donald might say, “That old glue was made by losers. Believe me, my new glue is going to be tremendous like you’ve never seen.”

What was that old, crumbling glue made of exactly; the one that managed nonetheless to securely bind the nation for 241 years?

The adhesive that bound us was made of a combination of ingredients. Like? Like democracy, religious freedom, rule of law, morality, the Constitution, checks and balances, freedom of speech, and equality for all, among others.

And each has been tossed out with impunity with every new and sometimes unlawful executive order.

Yesterday we found out, for example, about the hideous breach of the Constitution exposed by Politico, in which senior Republican staffers on the House Judiciary Committee not only aided Trump in drafting the Muslim ban, but they even signed, according to sources, non-disclosure agreements — which extended to their bosses!

No heads up. No vetting. No problem.

Problem.

Rep. Hakeem Jeffries, (D-Brooklyn) expressed his shock and outrage to me, saying, “The use of Republican congressional aides by Donald Trump without the knowledge of their bosses is an outrageous breach of the constitutional principal of separate but co-equal branches of government.

“The Congress does not work for the President — we work for our constituents who sent us to Congress,” he said.

“Donald Trump has no respect for the Constitution or the rules of law! It took Nixon six years to create a constitutional crisis in America. It took Trump 10 days.”

The result of that outrageous breach of our constitutionally protected right of freedom of religion, for example, turned into the Muslim ban — which Trump says is not a ban at all.

No? Somebody should tell chief Trump hanger-on/devotee Rudy Giuliani then. He told Judge Jeannine Pirro, on Fox, “So when (Trump) first announced it, he said, 'Muslim ban.' He called me up. He said, 'Put a commission together. Show me the right way to do it legally’”

Who’s telling the truth? Is it the unhinged narcissistic on the far right or the unhinged hater on the farther right?

qs1ois.jpg

Acting U.S. Attorney General Sally Yates was canned for disagreeing with President Trump. (SAUL LOEB/AFP/GETTY IMAGES)

Continuing the fun, on Monday Trump fired the acting Attorney General, Sally Yates, for disagreeing with him. Checks and balances are for morons — right?

Wrong.

The only thing Trump is winning these days is the presidential disapproval game. In fact, his ratings tanked quicker than any President in history. The Los Angeles Times pointed out that it took Ronald Reagan 719 days longer to sink that low, Obama 928 days, and Bush Sr. 1,328 days to fall into massive disapproval. It took Trump just eight.

mr2z6b.jpg

Protesters show their disapproval over Trump's travel ban. (LEON NEAL/GETTY IMAGES)

Despite the massive disapproval of the American people, Donald Trump, who clearly knows nothing about the workings of government — or democracy — continues unchecked to destroy the glue that binds us without precedent — and without conscience.

As George Carlin once said. “Bull---- is the glue that binds us as a nation.” And Trump is stinking up the joint.

Green Card Holder Dies a Day After Being Prevented From Returning Home by Trump's Order, Report Says

A former American serviceman who served in Iraq, where he was born, says his sick mother died a day after being turned away from the U.S. as a result of President Donald Trump’s executive order abruptly banning entry to travelers from seven predominantly Muslim countries.

Mike Hager told Fox 2 Detroit that he had traveled to Iraq before the order was implemented, with several family members who were permanent U.S. residents, when his mother fell ill. None of them expected any trouble on their return; Hager is a U.S. citizen, and his mother has lived in the U.S. since 1995. She had a green card.

But when they checked in at the airport in Iraq, only Hager was allowed through. He left his family behind and returned to his home in Michigan. One day later, he told the broadcaster, his mother passed away.

"I was just shocked. I had to put my mom back on the wheelchair and take her back and call the ambulance and she was very, very upset,” Hager told Fox 2 Detroit, recalling the moment they were pried apart at the terminal. “She knew right there if we send her back to the hospital she's going to pass away—she's not going to make it."

Hager and his family reportedly fled Iraq during the Gulf War. After spending four years in a refugee camp, they were resettled in the U.S., Fox 2 reports. A few years later, he decided to return to his home country as an American serviceman, working with the U.S. Special Forces as an interpreter and adviser.

He believes his mother would have survived if she had been able to return to her home and seek treatment, Fox 2 said.

"They destroyed us,” Hager told Fox 2. “I went with my family, I came back by myself. They destroyed our family.”

http://time.com/4656182/trump-muslim-ban-woman-died-green-card-immigration/

Dictatorship in the making. Very interesting from a theoretical perspective of a historian. Still waiting for his Ermächtigungsgesetz (enabling act). 3...2...1... oh wait, he needs an attack of big scale first...

:popcorn2:

1 hour ago, Lolo said:

Dictatorship in the making. Very interesting from a theoretical perspective of a historian. Still waiting for his Ermächtigungsgesetz (enabling act). 3...2...1... oh wait, he needs an attack of big scale first...

:popcorn2:

Well, if he really wants to take a page out of THAT book then he just needs to go back one chapter to the "Reichstagsbrand"...and there you have some inspiration. Although I really hope this is not the direction the country is heading to...but I agree with karbatal, it's not beyond the realms of possibility....

Quite honestly i've never seen a more divided nation than the US.

By the look of things the US will not last more 50 years and will likely collapse and be completely dismantled. I hope that on its final act it doesnt attempt to drag the entire world with it.

It's time for nations all around the world to start detaching from the US dominance in order to save themselves from an imminent doom.

What about this Syrian family who voted for Trump and now they see their relatives being reported? http://usuncut.com/politics/syrian-family-voted-trump/

POLITICS

Syrian family who watched their relatives get deported admit they voted for Donald Trump

Tom Cahill | January 31, 2017

SHARES

FacebookTwitter

A Syrian family living in Allentown, Pennsylvania just watched their relatives get deported right in front of them by the administration they voted for.

Dr. Ghassan Assali and his wife, Sarmad, are originally from Syria but have been in the United States since the Clinton administration. Dr. Assali earned his degree from New York University and has a dentistry practice in Pennsylvania. Sarmad’s two brothers, their wives, and their two children have been trying to flee Syria since 2003, and were finally approved for residency in the United States in December of 2016.

However, when the six Assali relatives arrived in the United States only hours after Donald Trump signed his executive order indefinitely banning immigration from seven predominantly Muslim countries (including Syria), they were promptly detained by U.S. Customs.

“Two security guards were waiting for them,” Sarmad Assali told NBC News. “They took them. They said, ‘Are you Syrians?’ They said, ‘Yes.’ They said, ‘Come with us.'”

Assali said her vote for Donald Trump was done out of a desire to see secure borders, though she didn’t expect one of her candidate’s chief campaign promises to be applied to her relatives, who are all Orthodox Christians with green cards. Even though White House Chief of Staff Reince Priebus recently stated that Trump’s order wouldn’t apply to green card holders, Assali’s relatives were nonetheless forced to board the next flight to Syria despite waiting over a decade to be with their family in the United States.

“I understand he wants to make America safe,” Assali said. “We’re all on with this. I definitely want to be in a safe place. But people need us and we need to be there for them.”

Ghassan Assali compared the U.S. government under the president he voted for to the Islamic State, expressing disappointment that the country he calls home now issues religious purity tests to immigrants,

“America is not America,” Dr. Assali said. “Like ISIS now, they ask, ‘Are you Christian? What do you believe?’ And if they are not saying what they believe, they kick you out and they cut your head off. So America, same thing. They ask you are you Muslim? You’ve got to change your religion. Thank you.”

One of those deported was the mother of 21-year-old Tarwak Assali, who came to the United States three years ago.

“I was one hour away from hugging her,” he said. “Seeing her.”

The timing of the Assali relatives being deported back to Syria couldn’t have been worse. Only six hours after they boarded a flight to Damascus, Syria through Doha, Qatar, federal judge Ann Donnelly issued an injunction on the order, allowing those detained by customs to be released onto U.S. soil.

17 minutes ago, karbatal said:

Well, to be fair i see the country (from afar) more united now than one month ago.

It looks pretty much divided for me...

Exclusive: A third of Americans think Trump's travel ban will make them safer

Imposing a temporary travel ban on citizens from seven Muslim countries, President Donald Trump said the move would help protect the United States from terrorism. But less than one-third of Americans believe the move makes them "more safe," according to a Reuters/Ipsos opinion poll released on Tuesday.

The Jan. 30-31 poll found roughly one in two Americans backed the ban, which also suspends admission of all refugees for 120 days, although there were sharp divisions along party lines.

Trump has pushed back against critics who say the travel ban targets Muslims. He says the "extreme vetting" is necessary to protect the country and its borders.

"This is not about religion," Trump said in a statement after announcing the travel ban on Friday. "This is about terror and keeping our country safe."

In the Reuters/Ipsos poll some 31 percent of people said the ban made them feel "more safe," while 26 percent said it made them feel "less safe." Another 33 percent said it would not make any difference and the rest said they don't know.

Trump's executive order blocked citizens from Iran, Iraq, Libya, Somalia, Sudan, Syria and Yemen and placed an indefinite ban on Syrian refugees.

Some Republican lawmakers criticized Trump's order and said it could backfire by giving terrorist organizations a new recruitment message.

"This executive order sends a signal, intended or not, that America does not want Muslims coming into our country," senators John McCain of Arizona and Lindsey Graham of South Carolina said in a joint statement.

The Reuters/Ipsos poll found that 49 percent of Americans agreed with the order and 41 percent disagreed. Some 53 percent of Democrats said they "strongly disagree" with Trump's action while 51 percent of Republicans said they "strongly agree."

Democrats were more than three times as likely as Republicans to say that the "U.S. should continue to take in immigrants and refugees," and Republicans were more than three times as likely as Democrats to agree that "banning people from Muslim countries is necessary to prevent terrorism."

Cheryl Hoffman, 46, of Sumerduck, Virginia said she was thrilled that Trump ordered the ban.

"I understand that the country was founded on immigrants," said Hoffman, who participated in the poll. "Please, I get that. But I’m worried that refugees are coming in and being supported by my tax dollars."

Another poll respondent, Veronica Buetel, 57, of Green, Ohio felt just the opposite: "Yes, we do live in scary times, but there are other, better ways to root out terrorism."

Westy Egmont, director of the Immigrant Integration Lab at Boston College, said Americans have grown increasingly hostile toward refugees and immigrants as the influx has shifted from Eastern Europeans to people from countries like Iraq, Somalia and Afghanistan.

"The rise of those numbers, as relatively small as they are, have gathered just enough attention to set off a small reaction from people who are genuinely uncomfortable with the diversity around them," Egmont said.

Most Americans, however, don't think the country should show a preference for Christian refugees, as Trump has suggested. Some 56 percent, including 72 percent of Democrats and 45 percent of Republicans, disagreed that the country should "welcome Christian refugees, but not Muslim ones."

On Tuesday, the Trump administration sought to clarify that citizens of U.S. ally Israel who were born in Arab countries would be allowed into the United States.

The Reuters/Ipsos poll was conducted online in English in all 50 states. It gathered poll responses from 1,201 people including 453 Democrats and 478 Republicans. It has a credibility interval, a measure of accuracy, of 3 percentage points for the entire sample and 5 percentage points for the Democrats and the Republicans.

(Reporting by Chris Kahn, editing by Ross Colvin)

http://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa-trump-immigration-poll-exclusive-idUSKBN15F2MG

More Americans approve of Trump’s travel ban than disapprove – poll

Despite nationwide protests and several major Republican figures speaking out against President Trump’s controversial travel ban, a new poll has revealed that more Americans actually support the ban than oppose it.

A Reuters/Ipsos opinion poll released on Tuesday found that 49 percent of Americans approved of the executive order to ban citizens from seven mostly Muslim countries from entering the US. Forty-one percent disapproved.

Some 53 percent of Democrats said they “strongly disagree” with the decision. They were also more than three times as likely as Republicans to say that the US “should continue to take in immigrants and refugees.”

5891e03ac461880c318b45b1.png

Meanwhile, 51 percent of Republicans said they “strongly agree” with the ban, and were more than three times as likely to agree that “banning people from Muslim countries is necessary to prevent terrorism.”

Thirty-one percent of respondents said the ban made them feel safer, compared to 26 percent who said it made them feel less safe. Forty-three percent said they “didn’t know.”

Republicans were more likely to say the ban made them feel safer, at 58 percent, while only 10 percent of Democrats felt the same.

When asked whether the US should welcome Christian refugees, but not Muslim ones, 72 percent of Democrats disagreed, compared to 45 percent of Republicans.

And finally, 68 percent of Republicans agreed that the travel ban is setting a “good example” of how to confront terrorism, while 70 percent of Democrats said it’s a bad example.

The poll comes amid worldwide protests of Trump’s executive order, which suspends the admission of citizens from Iran, Iraq, Libya, Somalia, Sudan, Syria, and Yemen for 120 days.

UN human rights experts said on Wednesday that the ban contravenes international law and could have devastating effects for those at risk of facing inhumane treatment in their home countries.

"Such an order is clearly discriminatory based on one’s nationality and leads to increased stigmatization of Muslim communities," the experts said in a statement, as quoted by Reuters.

"Recent US policy on immigration also risks people being returned, without proper individual assessments and asylum procedures, to places in which they risk being subjected to torture and other cruel, inhuman or degrading treatment, in direct contravention of international humanitarian and human rights laws which uphold the principle of non-refoulement," they added.

The ban has also been widely criticized by Democrats, as well as several Republicans, including senators John McCain (AZ) and Lindsey Graham (SC).

“This executive order sends a signal, intended or not, that America does not want Muslims coming into our country,” the senators said in a joint statement.

Meanwhile, Trump has denied allegations that the ban targets Muslims because of their faith, but is rather intended to keep people out of the US from countries afflicted by terrorism who could pose a threat.

“This is not about religion,” Trump said in a Friday statement. “This is about terror and keeping our country safe.”

The Reuters/Ispos poll, which was conducted online on January 30-31, surveyed 1,201 people from all 50 states, including 453 Democrats and 478 Republicans. It has a margin of error of three percentage points for the entire sample and five percentage points for Democrats and Republicans.

https://www.rt.com/usa/375923-trump-travel-ban-poll/

12 minutes ago, karbatal said:

What about this Syrian family who voted for Trump and now they see their relatives being reported? http://usuncut.com/politics/syrian-family-voted-trump/

Got what he voted for, so what's his problem?

What's this I'm reading about this Jeff Sessions guy being appointed Attorney General?  Another day, another avowed racist voted to high office in the USA. Where will it all end I wonder?

38 minutes ago, Kim said:

Got what he voted for, so what's his problem?

What's this I'm reading about this Jeff Sessions guy being appointed Attorney General?  Another day, another avowed racist voted to high office in the USA. Where will it all end I wonder?

I just finished reading this article... 

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/02/01/us/politics/donald-trump-administration.html?_r=0

So, yes.  Even with the Demorats (finally) putting up a fight, it looks like the White House will be filled with neo-Nazis. 

Yeah beyond absurd the level of pussy-dom from the Dems. The 'people' are standing up to Trump and company 100x more than Dems are. The GOP/McConell were in the SAME exact spot in 2009 yet were ruthless bastards from day 1 and prevailed. Yes, Harry Reid invoked the nuclear option for lower level judges but look at where we're at now and how that backfired. While that may be looked at as a reckless move was prob. needed at the time. But he opened up a can of worms. However, almost have no doubt knowing Trump and how divided the country is now and hardcore right the GOP went, still think they would've done this shit (get rid of the filibuster) even w/out what Reid did. Gorsich is positively getting confirmed. Lots of rumors Kennedy is gonna retire this year. Dems mine as well save their fire for that seat along w/ one of the liberal judges. I knew RBG royally fucked up by not retiring in 2014 at 81 going on 109. 

They have to create enemies to put fear in the population. That's the reason.  There's no Iranian in any terrorist attack in the past twenty years.  But that's the White House.  It was the same with Bush and Obama. 

Meanwhile population in that country suffer the economic blocking.  Even though Iran army is currently fighting ISIS in Syria 

https://secure.avaaz.org/campaign/en/president_trump_letter_cntl/

Dear Mr. Trump,

This is not what greatness looks like.

The world rejects your fear, hate-mongering, and bigotry. We reject your support for torture, your calls for murdering civilians, and your general encouragement of violence. We reject your denigration of women, Muslims, Mexicans, and millions of others who don’t look like you, talk like you, or pray to the same god as you. 

Facing your fear we choose compassion. Hearing your despair we choose hope. Seeing your ignorance we choose understanding. 

As citizens of the world, we stand united against your brand of division.

Sincerely,
[Add your name!]

3 hours ago, karbatal said:

They have to create enemies to put fear in the population. That's the reason.  There's no Iranian in any terrorist attack in the past twenty years.  But that's the White House.  It was the same with Bush and Obama. 

Meanwhile population in that country suffer the economic blocking.  Even though Iran army is currently fighting ISIS in Syria 

:clap::clap:

We are officially putting Iran on notice!!!  Uhm  OK THEN

What's new? Same old imperialistic because I said so BS

It's the biggest joke really

First unplug from Saudi Arabia, then you might acquire a shred of credibility. Which further cements the impression that Trump knows little about the global geopolitical chessboard. Iran has been instrumental in helping Russia considerably limit ISIS expansion. Ironic how he's claimed he's glad Russia is helping with ISIS yet he has no qualms whatsoever with the usual Israel game, demonising Iran as per usual

Truth is the CIA, Turkey, Qatar, Saudi Arabia etc never bothered to put TOO MUCH effort against ISIS (in all its various fronts and disguises) because ISIS serves the purpose of regime change in Syria, the same regime change they desire for Iran