MadonnaNation.com Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Shaun

Which #2 single should've reached #1

Which #2 deserved #1?  

134 members have voted

1. 1. Choose your fave

• MATERIAL GIRL [blocked by REO Speedwagon's "Can't Fight This Feeling" and Phil Collins' "One More Night"]
    • CAUSING A COMMOTION [blocked by Michael Jackson's "Bad" and Tiffany's "I Think We're Alone Now"]
    • EXPRESS YOURSELF [blocked by Simply Red’s “If You Don’t Know Me Know” and Martika’s “Toy Soldiers"]
    • CHERISH [blocked by Janet Jackson’s “Miss You Much”]
    • I'LL REMEMBER [blocked by All-4-One’s “I Swear"]
    • FROZEN [blocked by K-Ci & JoJo’s “All My Life”]

All of them! All amazing, quality, iconic songs. Many if not most are still played WAY more today than the songs that blocked them lol. Anyway I picked EY. No doubt MOST of the GP thinks EY along w/ MG are a #1 song. I hear MG basically everywhere on every Hot AC stations and waay more than Like A Virgin. Such a pity she was blocked by bland basically shitty Jackson songs :# lol. However, I 'get' why she was as those songs were all first (Miss You Much which had *mega hype) or second single singles (Bad). In the other cases she feel victim to those crappy flushable mid 90s 'Boyz To Men' (who she hated lol) style shit songs 

dollhouse    0
10 hours ago, Ghost Town said:

All of them!!! Tie that other singer with her mouthwatering 18 #1's

Add Into The Groove and she would have 19.

6 minutes ago, dollhouse said:

Add Into The Groove and she would have 19.

Yes. At least! :/. Not even including Beautiful Stranger, American Pie, Gambler and numerous other non singles that easily could've/should've been. Sooo many additional at least top 5 hits...missed! 

micro_03    0

i never thought I´ll remember was this big in the USA

i never heard this here in germany on the radio..but one of my all times!!

Oh easily Express Yourself. Such robbery. Truth be told, ALL of the first 3 singles from LAP should have been number 1's in my opinion. But EY was MASSIVE when it came out. It RULED the summer of 1989. I remember hearing in every car I was in, every home, every store in the mall. 

Don't get me wrong though, I also adore Toy Soldiers. Gorgeous song. 

M_Sinner    0

MATERIAL GIRL, EY, FROZEN C'MON!!!!

Butter9    0

Express Yourself and to this day I still can not believe that Ray Of Light was only No.2 in UK. It was blocked by All Saint's Under The Bridge !

"I'll Remember" most deserves it. It was her longest-running #2 -- FOUR WEEKS in the runner-up spot. So unfair.

2 hours ago, Ciccone's Cheeks said:

Yes. At least! :/. Not even including Beautiful Stranger, American Pie, Gambler and numerous other non singles that easily could've/should've been. Sooo many additional at least top 5 hits...missed! 

"American Pie" had no shot at #1 in the States. Radio play was very weak and peaked very early after its release. Even if it had gotten a full release with both two-track and maxi single releases, it stood no chance at hitting #1. It might not even have cracked the top 10. It probably would've peaked somewhere between #8 and #14.

"Beautiful Stranger" had a shot at #1 if it had gotten a full release, but it wasn't a guaranteed chart topper by any means.

1 hour ago, micro_03 said:

i never thought I´ll remember was this big in the USA

i never heard this here in germany on the radio..but one of my all times!!

"I'll Remember" is among her biggest hits, if you're counting weeks spent in the top 10. It had a very long run on American radio.

tasteinmen    0

Agree they all deserve the top spot, but I chose Frozen, the album was huge and so was the song.

HolidayGuy    0

All of them would have "deserved" to hit No. 1 on the Hot 100 if they had the most chart points of all singles in a given week. :gent:

By the by- there has been life outside the Hot 100 in terms of the pop charts."Material Girl" and Cherish" both hit No. 1 on Radio & Records' CHR/Pop chart, and also No. 1 on the Cashbox chart. Also, "Express Yourself" hit No. 1 on Cashbox and "I'll Remember" was a No. 1 on Radio & Records.

Read somewhere Madonna has the most #2 singles :chuckle:

seriously SO many of them shouldve gone #1 though I mean Express Yourself losing out to Simply Red’s “If You Don’t Know Me Know” and Martika’s “Toy Soldiers"] ??????

or Tiffany?

1 minute ago, HolidayGuy said:

All of them would have "deserved" to hit No. 1 on the Hot 100 if they had the most chart points of all singles in a given week. :)

By the by- there has been life outside the Hot 100 in terms of the pop charts."Material Girl" and Cherish" both hit No. 1 on Radio & Records' CHR/Pop chart, and also No. 1 on the Cashbox chart. Also, "Express Yourself" hit No. 1 on Cashbox and "I'll Remember" was a No. 1 on Radio & Records.

Do you have M's full R&R or Cashbox history over in the Charts forums?

Just now, mynameisdita said:

Read somewhere Madonna has the most #2 singles :chuckle:

In the U.S.? She "only" six. It's possible that's the record, but I'd be surprised if that were true.

She has something like 10 #2s in the U.K. That must be a record there.

HolidayGuy    0

I don't but could do so in the near future.

A couple of notes: Cashbox ceased in 1996, and some 1990s years had multiple weeks without a new chart (one had 10+). Radio & Records ceased in the late 2000s- it and Billboard's airplay charts (derived from radio-station playlists, with songs receiving a set number of points based on their ranks on such playlists) from the mid-1980s through the 2000s were very close to each other (though 19921-1994 had some notable differences between R&R and Billboard's Mainstream Top 40 chart, the latter a spin-based chart that debuted in Sept. 1992- R&R moved to a spins-based chart either in late 1994 or early 1995).

sotos8    0

Express yourself and Material girl of course because they're her signature songs and Frozen because it's one of pop's best songs ever

Starman    0

Basically she was cockblocked by one hit wonders all the time :lol:

material girl. Express yourself and frozen for sure deserved

whyme?    0

Regarding Frozen, madonna got lucky that it even charted as high as number 2. If I remember correctly, the airplay and sales peaks of the song barely made it into the top 5. 

Trent    0

They all deserved it but my vote went to Material Girl simply because of how iconic it is. It feels like a #1.