Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
SPM

Which #2 single should've reached #1

Which #2 deserved #1?   134 members have voted

1. 1. Choose your fave

• MATERIAL GIRL [blocked by REO Speedwagon's "Can't Fight This Feeling" and Phil Collins' "One More Night"]
    • CAUSING A COMMOTION [blocked by Michael Jackson's "Bad" and Tiffany's "I Think We're Alone Now"]
    • EXPRESS YOURSELF [blocked by Simply Red’s “If You Don’t Know Me Know” and Martika’s “Toy Soldiers"]
    • CHERISH [blocked by Janet Jackson’s “Miss You Much”]
    • I'LL REMEMBER [blocked by All-4-One’s “I Swear"]
    • FROZEN [blocked by K-Ci & JoJo’s “All My Life”]

Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

58 posts in this topic

Madonna has a whopping six songs that just missed that #1 spot on the Billboard Hot 100. Which one was most deserving of that coveted spot?

SPM,  I simply can't choose.   All of them should have been number 1 and all are superior to the songs that stopped them from reaching the top.  Although I do confess to loving Martika's Toy Soldiers.  These Madonna songs are well loved and known though.  All deserved number 1 Status. 

Express Yourself

56 minutes ago, jazzyjan said:

SPM,  I simply can't choose.   All of them should have been number 1 and all are superior to the songs that stopped them from reaching the top.  Although I do confess to loving Martika's Toy Soldiers.  These Madonna songs are well loved and known though.  All deserved number 1 Status. 

Sigh. So true. Slay me, Jan.

1 hour ago, jazzyjan said:

Bravo Jazzy! On point @ usual! With all due respect to these respective artists who nipped the Queen for the #1 spot... Madonna's discography is superior to many of them especially when it comes to lyrical quality.

What's mind-boggling when factoring her U.K. Top 5 hits that just missed #1 conceivably Madonna could have banked an astounding 20 #1 hits!

Utmost respect to U.K import Phil Collins @ well @ the phenomenonal Janet and Michael Jackson respectively.

Will venture to say Madonna's 12 # 1's are even more impressive when you take into consideration her fierce level of competition throughout her career especially those early years.

Edited by Anselme_Cristian

yes EY and Frozen clearly should have reached the top but I voted for CaC because this is my all time fav song by M

All of them, really . but I suppose Material Girl and Express Yourself moreso because of their iconic status. 

All of them! But if I had to choose one it would have to be "Express Yourself". Not only is it an iconic song but it's such an anthem for not only women but also the gay community. It was my gay anthem when I was 16. It not only taught me to express myself but to accept and take pride in who I am.

All of them!!! Tie that other singer with her mouthwatering 18 #1's

All of the above (a couple I believe did actually 

hit #1 on Cash Box)

Express Yourself for sure! That one still bugs me to this day since I read about it not going #1

All of them! But my vote was for Frozen, such a beautiful song.

Voted for Frozen but all of them deserved to be number 1, I didn't know all these where so close to achieving the number 1 spot. 

All of them, but Express Yourself and Frozen especially. I think CAC would've been a #1 had she made a video for it.

I have chosen material girl...but Express yourself and Frozen are also number ish successes

2 hours ago, LVX said:

All of them, but Express Yourself and Frozen especially. I think CAC would've been a #1 had she made a video for it.

yes!

Frozen not being #1 is a tragedy :americanlife:

All of them should have reached #1 but my vote goes to Causing a Commotion because it was blocked by that annoying Bad song :wacko:

Who is that K ci Jo-Jo shit anyway?? I always thought she was blocked by Celine Dion, I made my peace with that cause that song was extremely massive. Now I come here and read about some weird one hit stuff blocking Frozen??? Seriosly...

8 hours ago, Cyber-Raga said:

yes EY and Frozen clearly should have reached the top but I voted for CaC because this is my all time fav song by M

That's so sweet, CaC is such an amazing song, it's my favorite performance on the BA show tbh. So cocky, funny and rough. 

Well, for me a number 1 or 2 is just a number but, if I had to vote I would say "Causing a commotion", "Cherish" or "I'll remember".

If you ask to the general public which Madonna songs were number 1 hits most of the people would say "Material girl", "Express yourself" or "Frozen" (with other real number 1 hits, of course) so, at least these three didn't chart the number 1 but they did on people's mind

ALL OF THEM!

#2.. #1.. to me they all felt like number one chart toppers. Still do.

Every one of them apart from Cherish