Horror in Melbourne

Jazzy Jan

:cries::sadface:

This is dreadful news.  

Three people have been killed and 20 others injured after a man deliberately drove into pedestrians in Melbourne's Bourke Street mall before he was arrested by police.

What we know so far

• A car has hit a group of pedestrians on the corner of Bourke and Elizabeth Streets in Melbourne's CBD
  • Victorian Police have confirmed three dead, at least 20 injured
  • Man has been taken from damaged car and arrested
  • Suspect linked to earlier stabbing incident in "southern-metro region"
  • Wide area of central Melbourne closed

Oh no, this driving into crowds thing isn't new but it seems to be a weapon of choice as of late. I hope he was just a man with a bad heart or something but obviously not according to the report of him being taken and arrested and it being reported as deliberate.

So horrible, so fucked up... I am sorry about these news @jazzyjan :((

Melbourne rampage driver identified as James 'Jimmy' Gargasoulas

James "Jimmy" Gargasoulas had a history of violence and drug abuse.

James "Jimmy" Gargasoulas had a history of violence and drug abuse.

The man who allegedly mowed down 18 people in Melbourne's CBD on Friday, killing three and injuring 15 others, has a history of drug use, violence and psychological problems.

James "Jimmy" Gargasoulas, 26, stayed with his mother in a public housing flat in Windsor, where he allegedly stabbed his brother, Angelo, in the early hours of Friday morning.

Neighbours said they had regularly heard arguing inside the Raleigh Street unit.

The car Gargasoulas allegedly used to mow down pedestrians belonged to 76-year-old Gavin Wilson, who lives at the housing commission flats.

Wilson said Gargasoulas was a "nice kid", but on Wednesday night he became violent.

He said he came into his flat with a *, sat down and started burning it before throwing the burning book into his face.

"I flicked it onto the floor then he stood up and punched me," Wilson said.

He said Gargasoulas then attacked him. "Give me your keys or I'll gouge your eyes out," Gargasoulas allegedly demanded. 

Gargasoulas' erratic behaviour dramatically escalated on Friday morning.

In the early hours, Jess Bergin said she heard screaming outside her flat on the other side of road and looked out the window.

"He had a knife and he was hacking at either a guy or a girl, I don't know," she said.

They got into a waiting car, except for the knife-wielding man, who began hacking at the car, she said.

Gargasoulas, who also goes by the name Dimitrios, is currently on bail after being charged with family violence offences last weekend.

He is known to police for drug related issues, family violence assaults and has "an extensive family violence history".

It is understood that police began pursuing Gargasoulas on Friday in a maroon-coloured sedan after he allegedly took a woman hostage, who later escaped on the Bolte Bridge.

Police called off the pursuit over concerns of public safety, just outside the CBD.

The car was next seen doing "burnouts" and driving erratically at the intersection in front of Flinders Street Station. Gargasoulas was filmed hanging out the driver's window and abusing passersby.

He then sped north towards Bourke Street, where he allegedly ploughed through the crowded shopping strip, killing three people and injuring at least 15.

Police shot Gargasoulas in the arm further west on Bourke Street, dragging him from the sedan and making an arrest. He is being treated in hospital with non-life threatening injuries.

A relative said Gargasoulas has had a drug problem and has been in and out of jail for car theft and drug offences.

"Jimmy has always been a bad person," she said. "I knew it was him. I saw it on TV ... the picture of him sticking his head out when he was doing burnouts.

"I saw a picture and I thought 'Oh My God, that's Jimmy.' I'm shaking. I knew it, as soon as I saw that picture I had this feeling. I can't believe this.

"I bawled out crying when they announced that baby died. I'm shaking."

Wilson, owner of the car, has also expressed disbelief at Friday's horrific rampage. "It's a terrible thing. I can't believe it," he said. "I feel awful".

http://www.stuff.co.nz/world/australia/88639733/melbourne-rampage-driver-identified-as-james-jimmy-gargasoulas

Just dreadful but relieved it was not terrorism which would have caused even more fear and panic.  We have to get tougher though on serial violent offenders like him.  Tired of reading of dreadful crimes being committed by violent criminals out on parole or bail.  This piece of pond scum deliberately run over pedestrians at over 80 km an hour and had a history of violent behaviour and drug charges.  

Out on bail after violent domestic offences LAST WEEKEND!? Fuck our crippled justice and mental health systems. 

Just speaking from experience, my mother, who repeatedly tries to kill herself and gets released after a week in a mental health facility. Fuck it all. No-one is safe, including the affected who need to be locked up for their own good.

39 minutes ago, San said:

Out on bail after violent domestic offences LAST WEEKEND!? Fuck our crippled justice and mental health systems. 

Just speaking from experience, my mother, who repeatedly tries to kill herself and gets released after a week in a mental health facility. Fuck it all. No-one is safe, including the affected who need to be locked up for their own good.

So sorry to hear about your dear Mother.  She deserves better care and help from our health services.  

Re violent criminals, how many women and children have died after the same repeat violent criminals are released early after committing disgusting rapes, sexual assaults and murders ?   

Jill Meagher, Sarah Cafferkey and Daniel Morcombe would all be alive if the men that abused and murdered them were not let out early from jail, parole and bail after continually committing violent crimes and rapes against many others previously. 

Just now, jazzyjan said:

So sorry to hear about your dear Mother.  She deserves better care and help from our health services.  

Re violent criminals, how many women and children have died after the same repeat violent criminals are released early after committing disgusting rapes, sexual assaults and murders ?   

Jill Meagher, Sarah Cafferkey and Daniel Morcombe would all be alive if the men that abused and murdered them were not let out early from jail, parole and bail after continually committing violent crimes and rapes against many others previously. 

Thanks Janelle :kiss2:

How the same mistakes keep happening is beyond me. 

Thank you @Mmmmm and @pjcowley ! Whilst I do desperately wish she could get help and lead a more normal life, she's not exactly compliant with taking medication and staying away from unhealthy things. This is where I wish the system would step in and force her to make better choices.