veroelectronica

Madonna working on a new album in 2007?

534 posts in this topic

I don't know about you guys but I love EVERY Madonna record lol

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Katypatra said:

Preach!! I've noticed that M fans sort of divide into two categories, the Erotica vs ROL. Both teams demand different things from her. My 19 year old (straight) cousin was looking for some ethereal, inspiring music to help him paint abstract art. I gave him ROL. He loved every single song on it. I have many similar examples where people find ROL very experimental, different and weird in a good way. Something like this album simply never ages. It's a piece of art in itself, a masterpiece. To me it's not just a favorite Madonna album, it's my favorite album of all time! 

With that being said, I don't want ROL part 2. I simply want Madonna to first, stop collaborating with so many different artists. Two, no more rap, please!! And last, dig into something unique, a more natural sound, something cultural, worldly, deep, inspiring. Madonna is such a huge figure both in the physical and spiritual spheres, I know she can bring music that would make us all die and resurrect a thousand times!! 

 

 

What a great post! I completely agree with you! The thing that really bugs me about Erotica is that it's too rough. Most of the songs sound too much like demos to me (I know that's the vibe she was going for but it's not for me). I'm also mad she wrote beautiful lyrics for the verses but didn't bother incorporating them into proper melodies. Makes it come off as lazy and uninteresting for me.

That said, I still love the album. I love every M album to a certain extend but Erotica to me, is just the least understandable when it comes to being put on a pedestal. I'm a sucker for catchy and memorable melodies and ethereal production. Erotica simply doesn't have that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, Kurt420 said:

I truly think it'll be impossible for her to come out with something as "surprising" as ROL was at that time simply because EVERYTHING is out there. As soon as we hear who she's working with, we'll all research them, listen to everything they've done....inevitably, they will have worked with SOMEONE or done SOMETHING before and by the time the album is released a year later (as that's the normal timeline between when we start finding out info to release date), it will be deemed "dated". 

I'm sorry, but if ROL were released in a climate like today where nobody has attention spans longer than five minutes and a song that's 3 months old is "old", it wouldn't garner the acclaim it did. William Orbit had been working with Madonna in some capacity for 7 years when they did that. Let's think of someone who mixed one of her songs for the first time in HC era......if we heard she was working on a new album with that person now, everyone would have a meltdown about them being "old" and not "fresh" enough. People are more critical than ever now about EVERYTHING and never satisfied. Period.

:clap:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, karbatal said:

I was about to write something about the elusive future album but I saw this in the internet and was distracted 

211.gif

:lmao::lmao::lmao::dead::dead::dead:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, material_boy said:

 Still today, on this forum -- which, honestly, is one of the more sensible and hospitable M forums on the net -- people get attacked in personal terms for criticizing M's work and whole swaths of fandom are attacked, seemingly just for being fans of one particular work over another. Just a few post above this one, a poster says he hopes she releases "ROL 2" and that it's the biggest flop of her career just to spite fans of that album. .

You do realize that person is joking? We like to tease the RayofLighters here. It's not that serious.  :wink:

And while no place is perfect, compared to most Madonna forums, we have it pretty damn good here.

 

19 hours ago, Nikki said:

just a quality album, no songs from songwriting teams.. thats all

More than one way to do that...

 

16 hours ago, MeakMaker said:

The thing is we can only speculate on what she should or would do and what kind of impact it might have on a larger scale. And some of us might have better ideas than others but truth is we are not the professionals here. We really don't know how the business truly works. We might have a general idea of it but we haven't lived through it and as far as I know Madonna's been doing it for a life time so supposedly she should know best. I'm sure Madonna doesn't want to fuck up her own career and she knows very well what to do. If we just take RH for example she did everything to keep promoting the album. Madonna suffers of ageism of course but she also suffers of being a polarising figure with her outspoken political views. The industry itself lost so much money and it also finding new ways to stay afloat. Selling albums is hard for anyone let alone for someone who's been saturating the market for decades now. Madonna's charting new unexplored territories and I give it to her for just trying. It's possible that nowadays a bad deal is better than a no deal for her... we dont know what's truly going on behind the curtains. You can have a Thriller in your hands but without the right connections and form of promotions it won't be played or advertised to the masses. Seems like Twitter, Instagram, Facebook, Yotube and Spotify are controlling the music industry these days. It's more of a popularity contest than a music business.  

:clap::clap::clap:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Honestly, I think some fans have sort of romanticized certain parts of her career, particularly the writing/production aspect, usually based around their favorite album. I understand the tendency to do that with an artist like Madonna, especially with how long she's been around and how varied her body of work is, and that we all want her work to get its fair shot at success... but in an ever-changing industry, what always worked in the past isn't always what works in the present. Again, that's not to say that there aren't good points to be made with simplifying the process, and based on her RH promotional interviews, I don't think she necessarily wanted to have as many folks getting 'off and on the moving train' as she did, but she had to do the best she could given the circumstances of the industry and its processes today.

Also, I find the criticism of the "rent-a-producer" thing kind of over-played as it's not really exclusive to just the last few albums. She's always somewhat tapped into contemporary producers throughout her career, and most albums since Erotica have had (usually) more than just one producer, or writer (let alone different sounds on one album). I don't really mind how many people she writes with, as long as the work holds up (and more often than not, it has). Same with production. I mean, a one on one writer/producer setup is a wonderful idea that I like a lot, but it doesn't necessarily guarantee anything. Too many cooks in the kitchen ain't great either, but for dealing with the situation she had to with Rebel Heart, I think she pulled it off pretty damn well. Upon first listen, I was blown away at how well the album worked as a whole.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I seriously think if RH sold millions, some people wouldn't be complaining about the "quality" of the album. 

Rebel Heart was a brilliant album, it's her lack of record company SUCKED BIG TIME! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Mmmmm said:

I seriously think if RH sold millions, some people wouldn't be complaining about the "quality" of the album. 

True.

Some people don't like to admit it but that is what happens....and I don't know why. We shouldn't base our judgements towards an album on how well it charts or sells. If a record is great, it remains great even if it flops....

Since HC (or even AL) I notice that if a song/album flops or underperform people HAVE to find something wrong with it quality-wise to justify the flop. When something flops they change their opinion about it....but why? 

Plus it gets on my nerves when they say her music doesn't sell like it used to because it's not good enough. How can she not be good enough when most popular hits today are total crap? Maybe she's TOO GOOD instead :laugh:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I couldn't love RH anymore than I do, I think it's a brilliant album full of Madonna's greatest melodies, lyrics, hooks and unforgettable songs.

❤❤❤❤

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Every fucking of my life, since the last 2 years, I play at least one song from RH. Every day. :inlove:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Mmmmm said:

I seriously think if RH sold millions, some people wouldn't be complaining about the "quality" of the album. 

Rebel Heart was a brilliant album, it's her lack of record company SUCKED BIG TIME! 

I'll say again that this line is just so silly and tired. "Like a Virgin" and "True Blue" are her biggest albums ever and fans are constantly pissing on them as cheesy 80s relics. Just pop over lyrics thread right now -- @jazzyjan is probably the only person in that thread who's said anything positive about "LAV" and people are having a go at how bad "Jimmy Jimmy" is.

Maybe some people are shallow enough to say they love something just because it sold a lot, but I doubt that's really driving many fans. M's incorporated dozens of genres into her work over her career. Even her biggest aren't going to like everything she does or think everything is equally brilliant

100 percent agree, though, that she's been completely fucked by Interscope. Or maybe it's Oseary. Or both. Unclear to me who's fucking what up right now, but something is majorly broken with regard to her recording work. She's getting absolutely zero support outside of her tours.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, material_boy said:

I'll say again that this line is just so silly and tired. "Like a Virgin" and "True Blue" are her biggest albums ever and fans are constantly pissing on them as cheesy 80s relics. Just pop over lyrics thread right now -- @jazzyjan is probably the only person in that thread who's said anything positive about "LAV" and people are having a go at how bad "Jimmy Jimmy" is.

Maybe some people are shallow enough to say they love something just because it sold a lot, but I doubt that's really driving many fans. M's incorporated dozens of genres into her work over her career. Even her biggest aren't going to like everything she does or think everything is equally brilliant

100 percent agree, though, that she's been completely fucked by Interscope. Or maybe it's Oseary. Or both. Unclear to me who's fucking what up right now, but something is majorly broken with regard to her recording work. She's getting absolutely zero support outside of her tours.

I posted in that thread that LV Album is a extremely well written pop masterpiece, I didn't mention anything about TB but I consider it a classic defining album of pop culture. 

How could anyone consider cheesy the albums that defined the whole decade? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, material_boy said:

I'll say again that this line is just so silly and tired. "Like a Virgin" and "True Blue" are her biggest albums ever and fans are constantly pissing on them as cheesy 80s relics. Just pop over lyrics thread right now -- @jazzyjan is probably the only person in that thread who's said anything positive about "LAV" and people are having a go at how bad "Jimmy Jimmy" is.

Maybe some people are shallow enough to say they love something just because it sold a lot, but I doubt that's really driving many fans. M's incorporated dozens of genres into her work over her career. Even her biggest aren't going to like everything she does or think everything is equally brilliant

100 percent agree, though, that she's been completely fucked by Interscope. Or maybe it's Oseary. Or both. Unclear to me who's fucking what up right now, but something is majorly broken with regard to her recording work. She's getting absolutely zero support outside of her tours.

That thread is just about the lyrics though. It's very possible you could think the lyrics of a song aren't that great, but love the song as a whole and think it's a pop masterpiece regardless of cheesy lyrics.

It's human nature that people want others to validate their opinion. So they do think an album is better if more people bought it. Likewise people assume if something flopped it's because it wasn't good quality not for some other reason. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, runa said:

Every fucking of my life, since the last 2 years, I play at least one song from RH. Every day. :inlove:

Sameeee! :inlove:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, material_boy said:

I'll say again that this line is just so silly and tired. "Like a Virgin" and "True Blue" are her biggest albums ever and fans are constantly pissing on them as cheesy 80s relics. Just pop over lyrics thread right now -- @jazzyjan is probably the only person in that thread who's said anything positive about "LAV" and people are having a go at how bad "Jimmy Jimmy" is.

Maybe some people are shallow enough to say they love something just because it sold a lot, but I doubt that's really driving many fans. M's incorporated dozens of genres into her work over her career. Even her biggest aren't going to like everything she does or think everything is equally brilliant

I don't think it's "silly and tired" at all. It's spot on. I would say that there is definitely a trend among Madonna's fanbase that more easily goes after work that is more recent and hasn't performed to the commercial expectations they have built in their heads. But it's certainly not unique to Madonna fandom. Nearly every fanbase I've been in has played into this trend, particularly with artists/brands/etc. that are extremely successful and have reached a certain 'iconic' status. New work is often highly anticipated, much of it is well received in the beginning, and then when commercial expectations don't play out the way they wanted, the tone immediately changes. Let alone those who just don't seem able to give new work a fair chance without putting it up against the era they still want to measure everything by. Again, not something every fan plays into, but it's a more than obvious pattern with many.

As for those earlier works as nothing more than pop fluff or "80's relics", I've seen a minority that think that way...but I do think most fans have a deep love and understanding of them as career-defining and pop-culture defining works. At least from my perspective, that minority have either been younger fans who have come into M's work much later, and those who regard anything earlier (or later) than Ray of Light as meaningless. (And for the record, I also said positive things about LAV. ;))

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, material_boy said:

100 percent agree, though, that she's been completely fucked by Interscope. Or maybe it's Oseary. Or both. Unclear to me who's fucking what up right now, but something is majorly broken with regard to her recording work. She's getting absolutely zero support outside of her tours.

:sadface:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, VogueMusic said:

I don't think it's "silly and tired" at all. It's spot on. I would say that there is definitely a trend among Madonna's fanbase that more easily goes after work that is more recent and hasn't performed to the commercial expectations they have built in their heads. But it's certainly not unique to Madonna fandom. Nearly every fanbase I've been in has played into this trend, particularly with artists/brands/etc. that are extremely successful and have reached a certain 'iconic' status. New work is often highly anticipated, much of it is well received in the beginning, and then when commercial expectations don't play out the way they wanted, the tone immediately changes. Let alone those who just don't seem able to give new work a fair chance without putting it up against the era they still want to measure everything by. Again, not something every fan plays into, but it's a more than obvious pattern with many.

As for those earlier works as nothing more than pop fluff or "80's relics", I've seen a minority that think that way...but I do think most fans have a deep love and understanding of them as career-defining and pop-culture defining works. At least from my perspective, that minority have either been younger fans who have come into M's work much later, and those who regard anything earlier (or later) than Ray of Light as meaningless. (And for the record, I also said positive things about LAV. ;))

Truth

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, material_boy said:


She's getting absolutely zero support outside of her tours.

she paid all the musicians and studio time by herself?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Have you considered that her decision to work with the producers she has and the style of music she has done for the last 10 years is what has kept the audience listening and being interested in her after 34 years? 

I know people are sometimes nostalgic of the Pats, the Sheps, etc, but who would have wanted to listen to the 10th reincarnation of Like a Prayer or Live to Tell or LIB, even if they are truly timeless masterpieces. 

I don't want to sound like: every past time was better, but I haven't heard any breakthroughs in music anymore, there hasn't been any revolutionary sound that makes people go: "who the fuck is that?" Like when Frozen was played on the radio for the first time... everything sounds like everything else, the latest songs of the trendiest people sounds like something we have heard before.  

I like Madonna to be experimental and keep working with new people, the people  that are able to give us: Joan of Arc, HBC, GT, DP, LFL... songs that if were produced during Madonna's imperial phase, today they would've been regarded as masterpieces. 

Madonna has a tremendous continuity in her artistic output, some enterprises are better than others and that judgment depends on whatever resonates within us. But something that should never be questioned is the quality of her work. When you wonder just go back and listen and be amazed... 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Pedro said:

Have you considered that her decision to work with the producers she has and the style of music she has done for the last 10 years is what has kept the audience listening and being interested in her after 34 years? 

I know people are sometimes nostalgic of the Pats, the Sheps, etc, but who would have wanted to listen to the 10th reincarnation of Like a Prayer or Live to Tell or LIB, even if they are truly timeless masterpieces. 

I don't want to sound like: every past time was better, but I haven't heard any breakthroughs in music anymore, there hasn't been any revolutionary sound that makes people go: "who the fuck is that?" Like when Frozen was played on the radio for the first time... everything sounds like everything else, the latest songs of the trendiest people sounds like something we have heard before.  

I like Madonna to be experimental and keep working with new people, the people  that are able to give us: Joan of Arc, HBC, GT, DP, LFL... songs that if were produced during Madonna's imperial phase, today they would've been regarded as masterpieces. 

Madonna has a tremendous continuity in her artistic output, some enterprises are better than others and that judgment depends on whatever resonates within us. But something that should never be questioned is the quality of her work. When you wonder just go back and listen and be amazed... 

 

giphy.gif

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

ur gonna listen to her discography and you are going to love it!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Pedro said:

Have you considered that her decision to work with the producers she has and the style of music she has done for the last 10 years is what has kept the audience listening and being interested in her after 34 years? 

I know people are sometimes nostalgic of the Pats, the Sheps, etc, but who would have wanted to listen to the 10th reincarnation of Like a Prayer or Live to Tell or LIB, even if they are truly timeless masterpieces. 

I don't want to sound like: every past time was better, but I haven't heard any breakthroughs in music anymore, there hasn't been any revolutionary sound that makes people go: "who the fuck is that?" Like when Frozen was played on the radio for the first time... everything sounds like everything else, the latest songs of the trendiest people sounds like something we have heard before.  

I like Madonna to be experimental and keep working with new people, the people  that are able to give us: Joan of Arc, HBC, GT, DP, LFL... songs that if were produced during Madonna's imperial phase, today they would've been regarded as masterpieces. 

Madonna has a tremendous continuity in her artistic output, some enterprises are better than others and that judgment depends on whatever resonates within us. But something that should never be questioned is the quality of her work. When you wonder just go back and listen and be amazed... 

 

:clap::clap:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Pedro said:

Have you considered that her decision to work with the producers she has and the style of music she has done for the last 10 years is what has kept the audience listening and being interested in her after 34 years? 

I know people are sometimes nostalgic of the Pats, the Sheps, etc, but who would have wanted to listen to the 10th reincarnation of Like a Prayer or Live to Tell or LIB, even if they are truly timeless masterpieces. 

I don't want to sound like: every past time was better, but I haven't heard any breakthroughs in music anymore, there hasn't been any revolutionary sound that makes people go: "who the fuck is that?" Like when Frozen was played on the radio for the first time... everything sounds like everything else, the latest songs of the trendiest people sounds like something we have heard before.  

I like Madonna to be experimental and keep working with new people, the people  that are able to give us: Joan of Arc, HBC, GT, DP, LFL... songs that if were produced during Madonna's imperial phase, today they would've been regarded as masterpieces. 

Madonna has a tremendous continuity in her artistic output, some enterprises are better than others and that judgment depends on whatever resonates within us. But something that should never be questioned is the quality of her work. When you wonder just go back and listen and be amazed... 

 

Y E S

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now