MadonnaNation.com Forums
veroelectronica

Madonna working on a new album in 1957?

Katypatra    0
11 minutes ago, Mensch said:

and it wasn't a new ray of light. we know what we got...leaked, released and everything in-between. as good as it was, none of it was groundbreaking or would've been accepted as something brilliant. it was a solid record. she needs to go in a different direction. 

Yep. Completely different. Something she hasn't done before. I swear, no offense to Nikki Minaj, but no more!!! I really hope M will come up with something totally fresh. 

Orion    0
On 14/3/2017 at 3:35 PM, dollhouse said:

Rebel Hear will live forever!

Yesssss!!! The best!!!! 

swimtoshore    0
On ‎2‎/‎16‎/‎2017 at 4:06 PM, jazzyjan said:

The way some of you carry on, Madonna should just retire and be done with it.  :wacko:  She is the ONLY pop star who emerged in the 80's who can continually tour and attract big crowds.   Before people start quoting Rolling Stones, U2 etc - they are rock bands who have a strong male demographic who go to every concert and expect to hear the hits to sing along with.   Which is what they get - would Madonna fans want that as are so picky. 

I bet any money the pop superstars of today won't be able to tour and earn a quarter of the money Madonna does when they are in the 40's let alone their 50's.    

totally agree

Kurt420    0

I truly think it'll be impossible for her to come out with something as "surprising" as ROL was at that time simply because EVERYTHING is out there. As soon as we hear who she's working with, we'll all research them, listen to everything they've done....inevitably, they will have worked with SOMEONE or done SOMETHING before and by the time the album is released a year later (as that's the normal timeline between when we start finding out info to release date), it will be deemed "dated". 

I'm sorry, but if ROL were released in a climate like today where nobody has attention spans longer than five minutes and a song that's 3 months old is "old", it wouldn't garner the acclaim it did. William Orbit had been working with Madonna in some capacity for 7 years when they did that. Let's think of someone who mixed one of her songs for the first time in HC era......if we heard she was working on a new album with that person now, everyone would have a meltdown about them being "old" and not "fresh" enough. People are more critical than ever now about EVERYTHING and never satisfied. Period.

VogueMusic    0
1 hour ago, Kurt420 said:

I truly think it'll be impossible for her to come out with something as "surprising" as ROL was at that time simply because EVERYTHING is out there. As soon as we hear who she's working with, we'll all research them, listen to everything they've done....inevitably, they will have worked with SOMEONE or done SOMETHING before and by the time the album is released a year later (as that's the normal timeline between when we start finding out info to release date), it will be deemed "dated". 

I'm sorry, but if ROL were released in a climate like today where nobody has attention spans longer than five minutes and a song that's 3 months old is "old", it wouldn't garner the acclaim it did. William Orbit had been working with Madonna in some capacity for 7 years when they did that. Let's think of someone who mixed one of her songs for the first time in HC era......if we heard she was working on a new album with that person now, everyone would have a meltdown about them being "old" and not "fresh" enough. People are more critical than ever now about EVERYTHING and never satisfied. Period.

Boom.

giphy.gif

VogueMusic    0
On 3/14/2017 at 8:43 PM, Kurt420 said:

:clap:

One of the most sensible comments I've seen on this topic. The quality of her work is always subjective. It's funny people always say "she needs to bring ROL level"....well, I personally know a few people that went off of Madonna because of that album. Now, I know that wasn't the overall opinion of most....but at least they got to form an opinion because they knew of it's existence. Yet, one of the same people that didn't care for ROL became absolutely obsessed with MDNA.....once she knew about it. The question isn't the quality of her work, it's the exposure of her work that's diminished. As you say, a lot of that is simply industry politics. 

1. She has to have some sort of push from a record company or someone

2. She has to have radio airplay

Without those things she won't have hits. Period. As time marches on, record companies aren't going to fight to "push" her and radio airplay has been dead in the water for over a decade in now in some territories. It was only a matter of time until the rest of the world caught on to that. With that said, there's no reason that a lead Madonna single should NOT chart ANYWHERE in the world hardly......that's absurd....BUT, it all goes back to, how much is a "record company", "promoter" or whatever willing to invest in a 50-60 something artist?? Are they going to invest in that or a quick buck from the newest "hot" 21 yr old? I was watching an interview with Stevie Nicks just the other day actually. She was talking about the In Your Dreams album and how it got praised by critics, she did EVERYTHING she could to promote, toured etc and still nobody bought it. Madonna fans simply HAVE to accept that this is a different ballgame now and adjust their expectations. It's either that or be perpetually disappointed. 

raw

As I've said before, what if she gives these folks their "new ROL", works with one (supposedly "unknown") producer, etc.,etc....and nothing comes of it the way they expect? 

What then?

Nikki    0
3 hours ago, VogueMusic said:

raw

As I've said before, what if she gives these folks their "new ROL", works with one (supposedly "unknown") producer, etc.,etc....and nothing comes of it the way they expect? 

What then?

just a quality album, no songs from songwriting teams.. thats all

Orion    0

I want her to release ROL 2 and FLOP HARDER than Nelly Furtado's last album.

Rayoflighters would be served.

loowee    0

What genre would be considered "experimental" these days? There's basically no dividing line between mainstream and left field music anymore. 

karbatal    0

I was about to write something about the elusive future album but I saw this in the internet and was distracted 

211.gif

MeakMaker    0

The thing is we can only speculate on what she should or would do and what kind of impact it might have on a larger scale. And some of us might have better ideas than others but truth is we are not the professionals here. We really don't know how the business truly works. We might have a general idea of it but we haven't lived through it and as far as I know Madonna's been doing it for a life time so supposedly she should know best. I'm sure Madonna doesn't want to fuck up her own career and she knows very well what to do. If we just take RH for example she did everything to keep promoting the album. Madonna suffers of ageism of course but she also suffers of being a polarising figure with her outspoken political views. The industry itself lost so much money and it also finding new ways to stay afloat. Selling albums is hard for anyone let alone for someone who's been saturating the market for decades now. Madonna's charting new unexplored territories and I give it to her for just trying. It's possible that nowadays a bad deal is better than a no deal for her... we dont know what's truly going on behind the curtains. You can have a Thriller in your hands but without the right connections and form of promotions it won't be played or advertised to the masses. Seems like Twitter, Instagram, Facebook, Yotube and Spotify are controlling the music industry these days. It's more of a popularity contest than a music business.  

Orion    0
10 hours ago, Kurt420 said:

:clap:

dollhouse    0
2 hours ago, Orion said:

Rebel Heart is better than ROL 1.

Holy Water > Mere Girl.

Pedro    0
2 hours ago, MeakMaker said:

The thing is we can only speculate on what she should or would do and what kind of impact it might have on a larger scale. And some of us might have better ideas than others but truth is we are not the professionals here. We really don't know how the business truly works. We might have a general idea of it but we haven't lived through it and as far as I know Madonna's been doing it for a life time so supposedly she should know best. I'm sure Madonna doesn't want to fuck up her own career and she knows very well what to do. If we just take RH for example she did everything to keep promoting the album. Madonna suffers of ageism of course but she also suffers of being a polarising figure with her outspoken political views. The industry itself lost so much money and it also finding new ways to stay afloat. Selling albums is hard for anyone let alone for someone who's been saturating the market for decades now. Madonna's charting new unexplored territories and I give it to her for just trying. It's possible that nowadays a bad deal is better than a no deal for her... we dont know what's truly going on behind the curtains. You can have a Thriller in your hands but without the right connections and form of promotions it won't be played or advertised to the masses. Seems like Twitter, Instagram, Facebook, Yotube and Spotify are controlling the music industry these days. It's more of a popularity contest than a music business.  

Totally!!! :yes::yes:

10 hours ago, Kurt420 said:

You're right that the internet has completely destroyed the surprise factor, but I disagree that fans are more critical of M now. There were Madonna listservs in the 90s that were constantly critical of M's work. Even things like "I'll Remember" had fans arguing -- "She whitewashed her image to get played on radio again!" "It's great! Classic Madonna-Leonard!" -- but obviously accessibility to these fan communities has changed drastically. Internet access was so limited back then and listservs were so cutting edge that even the largest of them couldn't have had more than a couple hundred members, whereas now any kid who hears "Vogue" and has his gay awakening can Google his way to this site or others like it in seconds. So, no, I don't think the problem is that fans have become more critical of M, just that said criticism is more accessible.

Culturally, I think the biggest change in Madonna fandom isn't that fans are critical of M but that fans have become extremely critical of each other. In my experience, the shift in fans' critical focus from M to other fans happened in the early- to mid-00s. I think, in part, this is because internet culture -- which is extremely hostile and judgmental -- really started to form around that time, and the behavior of M fans engaging online is a reflection of that. I think the release of "American Life," which was extremely polarizing in fandom upon its release, just exploded that change in behavior. M was under attack at this time, and many fans began reacting to any criticism of M -- even from other fans, even if it was about a piece of her work and not M herself -- with extreme malice. Fandom really divided against itself and I'm not sure it's ever recovered. Still today, on this forum -- which, honestly, is one of the more sensible and hospitable M forums on the net -- people get attacked in personal terms for criticizing M's work and whole swaths of fandom are attacked, seemingly just for being fans of one particular work over another. Just a few post above this one, a poster says he hopes she releases "ROL 2" and that it's the biggest flop of her career just to spite fans of that album

As a (very) longtime fan, I think we should be critical of M. We are her biggest fans. We know how good she is, and we hold her to higher standards than we do other artists because we know how good she is -- even if that means criticizing her or her work at times. But criticizing other fans for disagreeing with our own personal opinion just makes no sense to me.

Anyway, that's the end of that rant.

Regarding your last point -- I've been highly critical of M for working with rent-a-producers for her last three albums, and I'd be perfectly happy with her hooking up with some random "Give it 2 Me" remixer if the pair of them formed a real collaborative relationship.

Reading interviews of M and producers like Bray, Leonard, Pettibone, Orbit, or Mirwais -- producers she worked with for years -- you can almost always find anecdotes about how much time they spent together, how they learned to trust one another in that time, and how that trust allowed them to push each other past their comfort zones, to try new things. Leonard used that trust to get her to record one-take vocals with a live orchestra, and "Like a Prayer" is better for it. Pettibone pushed her to incorporate the "Sex" book writings into her songs and, because of that, she rewrote "Erotica" and invented Dita, changing the nature of the entire album. Mirwais said she was scared to record raw, totally unmanipulated vocals, but he pushed her to go for it -- and she got a Grammy nomination for it.

Is there any recent example like this? Diplo has talked about how he convinced M to bring on other producers. Solveig said she made him quit smoking, and M said the two of them talked a lot about films. No one talks about push and pull, and a lot of their work sounds phoned it. So, yeah, I'd be perfectly happy if she worked with some B-list remixer from the "HC" era if the two of them connected on a personal and artistic level, and spent enough time together that she produced something challenging and memorable.

jojuun    0
12 hours ago, Kurt420 said:

744.gif

mnino    0
13 hours ago, Kurt420 said:

THIS.

Rebel Heart (Avicii) was apparently OLD in the END of 2014 which was a little over a year after Wake Me Up charted in America. Coldplay scored a Top 10 in the US late in the summer of 2014. But RH was not "fresh" anymore. Guess what? Most of the hits of today are not fresh. If she recorded a song with the Chainsmokers like Coldplay has done, she would be judged by choosing an "old" sound. She can't win for losing with some people. 

giphy.gif

S.E.X.    0
5 hours ago, Orion said:

I hope she releases Erotica 2.0. It's obvious it would flop cause Erotica sucks. In the meantime Ray of Light remains unbothered as her best album. :queenbitch:

S.E.X.    0
13 minutes ago, mnino said:

THIS.

Rebel Heart (Avicii) was apparently OLD in the END of 2014 which was a little over a year after Wake Me Up charted in America. Coldplay scored a Top 10 in the US late in the summer of 2014. But RH was not "fresh" anymore. Guess what? Most of the hits of today are not fresh. If she recorded a song with the Chainsmokers like Coldplay has done, she would be judged by choosing an "old" sound. She can't win for losing with some people. 

The thing with Avicii was that he wasn't very versatile. All his production for Madonna sounded too much like his other material that had already been heard everywhere by that time. 

His version of the RH tracks were rather Avicii feat. Madonna. 

Katypatra    0
2 hours ago, S.E.X. said:

I hope she releases Erotica 2.0. It's obvious it would flop cause Erotica sucks. In the meantime Ray of Light remains unbothered as her best album. :queenbitch:

Preach!! I've noticed that M fans sort of divide into two categories, the Erotica vs ROL. Both teams demand different things from her. My 19 year old (straight) cousin was looking for some ethereal, inspiring music to help him paint abstract art. I gave him ROL. He loved every single song on it. I have many similar examples where people find ROL very experimental, different and weird in a good way. Something like this album simply never ages. It's a piece of art in itself, a masterpiece. To me it's not just a favorite Madonna album, it's my favorite album of all time! 

With that being said, I don't want ROL part 2. I simply want Madonna to first, stop collaborating with so many different artists. Two, no more rap, please!! And last, dig into something unique, a more natural sound, something cultural, worldly, deep, inspiring. Madonna is such a huge figure both in the physical and spiritual spheres, I know she can bring music that would make us all die and resurrect a thousand times!! 

2 hours ago, S.E.X. said:

Blasphemy! Erotica AND Ray of Light are both masterpieces 

Orion    0

Ok maybe my post got misunderstood.....I didn't mean to diss ROL at all, I love that record, I was just being ironic......oh, and I love Erotica too.

it's just that ROL is always put on a pedestal and everything she did before and after is compared to that :rotfl:I mean I know it's a masterpiece but she has many of them

Lolo    0

ROL is my least favorite album. Still it's an outstanding pop album and I was happy about all the acclaim M received back then. But I never liked the sound and the style. I take MDNA over ROL any day.

Starman    0

Making an album on dropbox with 7 producers and 24 songwriters is not the way