• Survival
    • Drowned World/Substitute For Love
    • Music
    • American Life
    • Hung Up
    • Candy Shop
    • Girl Gone Wild
    • Living For Love

I'm torn between Like a Prayer and Erotica. Both are absolute masterpieces.

Like a Prayer ...dah!

Best song ever

Erotica of course (for the best album of ALL TIME)...followed very closely by DW/SFL :inlove: 

On 1/9/2017 at 3:23 PM, Arnian said:

There's something magical about the way Drowned World opens ROL. 

Feel same way.....

I honestly can think of reasons why each and every one of these songs is perfect to open it's accompanying album. As mentioned LS is written by her and the first song on her first album, MG is a signature song and is also the nickname (much to her dismay) that has stuck with her longest, LAP is.......LAP. Nothing more to say on that one except for EPIC. I like what @IsaacHarris said about Erotica....the surface noise at the beginning + that thumping bass line immediately takes me to a seedy NYC circa '92 and is the perfect intro to that album. 

So many great choices but I had to go with PDP. That string opening is so dramatic and little nuances like that are for me, part of what make her music stand out against other artists. The song really could've just started when the beat kicks in but she added that little touch and it makes the song instantly recognizable for anyone that hears it. It also sets the tone for the "new Madonna" of 1986. The cleaned up, toned up, glamoured up, more musically mature Mrs. Penn. I feel like PDP ushered in her new, "grown up" sound that's evident on the TB album.

Like a Prayer is another-level material. A pop CLASSIC in capitals. So it takes the vote.

Special mention goes to Lucky Star for its significance, Erotica for its big cojones and Hung Up for showing she can deliver one of her biggest bangers when most people don't expect it.

Hard choice.

It's between Lucky Star for it's significance, Like A Prayer for being just downright iconic and truly amazing, Erotica for being so unapologetic, Survival for being soothing yet re-assuring but still despite all of this...

I went with...
HUNG UP!

EAT IT!

tumblr_lsrer4sR6Q1qlgcfto1_500.gif

20 hours ago, Kurt420 said:

I honestly can think of reasons why each and every one of these songs is perfect to open it's accompanying album. As mentioned LS is written by her and the first song on her first album, MG is a signature song and is also the nickname (much to her dismay) that has stuck with her longest, LAP is.......LAP. Nothing more to say on that one except for EPIC. I like what @IsaacHarris said about Erotica....the surface noise at the beginning + that thumping bass line immediately takes me to a seedy NYC circa '92 and is the perfect intro to that album. 

So many great choices but I had to go with PDP. That string opening is so dramatic and little nuances like that are for me, part of what make her music stand out against other artists. The song really could've just started when the beat kicks in but she added that little touch and it makes the song instantly recognizable for anyone that hears it. It also sets the tone for the "new Madonna" of 1986. The cleaned up, toned up, glamoured up, more musically mature Mrs. Penn. I feel like PDP ushered in her new, "grown up" sound that's evident on the TB album.

Well articulated K420. Choosing M's best Album Opener was an arduous task @ the same time fun. Recall @ well besides the classic Papa Don't Preach composition; she was tackling a highly hot button topic w/ teenage pregnancy; while vacillating whether or not to keep her baby. As you enunciated her True Blue album manifested maturation in her songwriting; and boldness w/ each track. Many of her naysayers brushed her off @ simply a ditzy dance pop phenom; of scant substance.

Trustfully True Blue was able overtime to suppress much  of their scathing jaundiced commentary.

Image result for Madonna- Papa Don't Preach

Related image

3 hours ago, Lawrence said:

Girl Gone Wild

Come at me.

I love this choice. There's no wrong answer and GGW is a great opener!

It was a near tie for me between the iconic funky rock of Like a Prayer, to the hypnotic bombastic beats of Hung Up, to the born again bad girl of Girl Gone Wild, but there will never EVER be an opening quite like this -

tumblr_m581be6rZX1r7e9vpo1_500.gif
giphy.gif
tumblr_lqruvy6cII1qezxsoo1_r1_500.gif

tumblr_mr10oint351rxml8no4_500.gif
giphy.gif

PERFECTION.

i'm partial to Drowned World and Erotica. Her album intro's inspired me to be creative and unique with that :p 

They are all thrilling I have to say!

Lucky Star.