MadonnaNation.com Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Paul

Madonna question on family feud ((Australia)

So, I was watching family feud last night (it's January so may have been a repeat from sometime last year), and the question was:

Name one of Madonna's biggest hits. 

The contestants were stupid and didn't know anything, but the answers were interesting. Of the 100 (Australian) people surveyed, the most popular answers were, in order:

Holiday

like a virgin

vogue

material girl 

like a prayer

rain

really? Rain? Aside from no answers from ray of light or music or hung up, surely songs like into the groove, express yourself, papa, crazy for you, take a bow, human nature or candy shop would be more likely answers than rain! 

Rain was a huge hit here in Oz. Especially around the time of The Girlie Show.

2 hours ago, Paul said:

So, I was watching family feud last night (it's January so may have been a repeat from sometime last year), and the question was:

The contestants were stupid and didn't know anything, but the answers were interesting. Of the 100 (Australian) people surveyed, the most popular answers were, in order:

Holiday

like a virgin

vogue

material girl 

like a prayer

rain

really? Rain? Aside from no answers from ray of light or music or hung up, surely songs like into the groove, express yourself, papa, crazy for you, take a bow, human nature or candy shop would be more likely answers than rain! 

The aussies have taste.  Rain is one of Madonna's most beautiful and underrated songs.  Had it been the first single from Erotica, it would've been huge . Also if you look at Madonna's single charting in Australia, its really uneven and sporadic, even in the 80's when it was number one hits everywhere else.  Might have been lack of promotion there maybe, which might explain random song choices being in the public conscious.

From what I remember of this show, sometimes the bottom answer only got like 1 or 2 votes, so it was likely a case of everyone thinking of the same 5 songs and then that 1 person that loves Rain.

7 hours ago, Paul said:

Holiday

like a virgin

vogue

material girl 

like a prayer

rain

:blink:

7 hours ago, Rugbyguy said:

Rain was a huge hit here in Oz. Especially around the time of The Girlie Show.

yes, remember it was her first time there

Haha! That's awesome that "Rain" is still remembered so well. I loved that song.

I think Rain was number one material but nothing from Erotica due to the controversy of SEX was going to make it there!

Had it of been featured on Ray of Light I think it would of been a number 1.

Its one of Madonnas most beautiful songs.

12 hours ago, Paul said:

They couldn't come up with anything???

Personally, I would pick M's most iconic songs as:

• Like A Prayer
  • Vogue
  • Like A Virgin
  • Holiday
  • Papa Don't Preach

^ In the UK I'd have to put Hung Up in that list, I still hear it a lot out and about.

3 hours ago, WeboGirl said:

They couldn't come up with anything???

A group of young-ish guys, either clueless or didn't want to seem gay, so they guessed songs that they knew were wrong ... 'butterfly wings, and 'when dovescry'

then the other team in the 'steal': all three family members said vogue but the head of the team overruled and went with 'Lucky StarS'. !!

i personally think rain is one of her best songs, just surprised that it scored ahead of other obvious hits. I hope she's paying attention for the next tour!

The contestants on Family Feud are so stupid in general,  They often like to appear stupid as well as think it is funny and gets them attention.  Young men especially like to appear "out of the loop"  to give their mates a laugh etc. I didn't see this but how the captain of a team can over-rule Vogue shows how dumb they are.  Embarrassing.  Rain was a big hit in Australia though.  It was very popular.  Considering the answers are made through surveying 100 people,  I can see where someone said Rain. 

Interesting, because I know Hung Up was a huge hit here in Australia. Like, whenever I play it at home, guests/family will hum/sing to it.

I think the general public associates "Madonna" and "biggest hits" with pre-2000, simply because of media bias (whenever mainstream media sources refer to M nowadays, they'll say something like "the Material Girl" or "Vogue singer" or something like that).

On 10 January 2017 at 10:13 AM, jazzyjan said:

The contestants on Family Feud are so stupid in general,  They often like to appear stupid as well as think it is funny and gets them attention.  Young men especially like to appear "out of the loop"  to give their mates a laugh etc. I didn't see this but how the captain of a team can over-rule Vogue shows how dumb they are.  Embarrassing.  Rain was a big hit in Australia though.  It was very popular.  Considering the answers are made through surveying 100 people,  I can see where someone said Rain. 

BahahahhahaahahshahaahahahahhaahahahahaahhahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahhahahahahhHahHahahahahjajajahahahjjjjajShhahahajajahahahahahahahhahahah

On 1/8/2017 at 1:02 AM, Mattvoyager said:

The aussies have taste.  Rain is one of Madonna's most beautiful and underrated songs.  Had it been the first single from Erotica, it would've been huge . Also if you look at Madonna's single charting in Australia, its really uneven and sporadic, even in the 80's when it was number one hits everywhere else.  Might have been lack of promotion there maybe, which might explain random song choices being in the public conscious.

in the 80's radio in Australia would not play Madonna outside of a chart show, even if she was no1. Often people didn't even know a song was out unless they watched music video shows

Despite the massive success of the 90's, 00's and beyond, it's the 80's hits that have had the biggest impact on not just her career but pop music in general. If I had to pick 5 songs from her whole career, to me, these are her signature songs....not necessarily her biggest hits in terms chart positions, weeks at #1 or necessarily my personal favorites,  but the ones that helped define and embody the "Madonna" persona the general public is most familiar with......

Like A Virgin

Material Girl

Like A Prayer

Express Yourself

Vogue

1 hour ago, roma said:

in the 80's radio in Australia would not play Madonna outside of a chart show, even if she was no1. Often people didn't even know a song was out unless they watched music video shows

That is not correct.  She was on the radio in Australia all of the time in the 80's and was the biggest music star of them all in Australia. 

On 13/01/2017 at 4:26 PM, roma said:

I'm really sorry, but this simply isn't true.  Madonna was everywhere on radio in the 80s and early 90s in Australia.  Every release was an event and given maximum exposure.  The only 80s single I don't remember hearing on the radio in full was "Oh Father".  Did you live in a small country town or something?  She was certainly everywhere on the major QLD radio stations and from jazzyjan's post above, Melbourne, too. 

On ‎7‎/‎1‎/‎2017 at 7:22 PM, Paul said:

Holiday

like a virgin

vogue

material girl 

like a prayer

rain

OZ chart:

Rain - #5

TAB - #15

HN - #17

Candy Shop - Did Not Chart

On ‎12‎/‎1‎/‎2017 at 8:57 PM, Lawrence said:

Interesting, because I know Hung Up was a huge hit here in Australia. Like, whenever I play it at home, guests/family will hum/sing to it.

I think the general public associates "Madonna" and "biggest hits" with pre-2000, simply because of media bias (whenever mainstream media sources refer to M nowadays, they'll say something like "the Material Girl" or "Vogue singer" or something like that).

At least they know her hits.

Would you be happier if they call her the "holiday act" like Pariah? or Nipplegate Floppita? Floppita has only 9 top 10 hits in OZ so can't blame them for unable to name a song by her, they can't use "Scream" either 'cos it's a MJ song.

On 7/1/2017 at 0:22 PM, Paul said:

surely songs like human nature or candy shop would be more likely answers than rain! 

Those two are her signature songs :yes: