Obama Thread

Guest Pud Whacker

3 hours ago, jazzyjan said:

So true.  I have noticed people in my own country not caring less about human rights.  Refugees and their young children being confined to disgusting camps for many years for example - they side with the conservative parties on their treatment because politically they think it will help them.  They don't fight for real issues and human rights anymore.  People have lost their compassion for others in so many ways.  Unless it directly concerns them,  they don't care.  

Exactly Jazzy. But no one wants to talk about it because it's not convenient for them. People are fed lies after lies about immigrants and they are completely brainwashed into thinking they're all terrorists or rapists or robbers. Or they steal jobs or take advantage of national benefits services or want to change our country's identity. When in truth they are taking on jobs no one wants to do and most of them are law abiding individuals who truly are looking for a better future for themselves and their families but apparently that's not ok. So they have become political and social scapegoats and I appalled we have politicians who would push that hate or "send-them-home" mentality into people's heads and I'm more appalled so many people have fallen into that trap simply because they can't afford the latest gadgets or nice cars or holidays. Instead of explaining to the people that they have been duped and fooled by the greedy banks and national/multinationals corporations they have been telling them it's all immigrants' fault. I'm disgusted by their lies. And even more disgusted so many people actually chose to believe them.

4 hours ago, Martin B. said:

This.

We live in the age of every man for himself and where no one considers himself to be accountable for anything. It is always the fault of others and never of theirs. This is the fertile ground for the rise of this type of populist politicians.

Truth, dignity, fact, human rights, respect, common good : almost no one cares anymore and those who still worry about it are being intimidated until they are silent (the use of the pejorative term SJW as soon as someone discusses human rights is a example of that).

In the U.K. we get called left wing luvvies. I always stress I'm not supporting the left. I don't need and I don't want to. But yes caring for other people besides of yourself or your little niche is considered idiotic nowadays. Sad, sad times indeed. 

On 1/3/2017 at 0:16 PM, ULIZOS said:

I'm watching her speech about Obama being a black muslim... I mean, she's giving a political speech, very serious, supposed to be empowering, but apparently it was just her joking? :rotfl:

I was at that show and it was obvious to me she was being sarcastic.....I mean, if I recall, she even made the "quote symbol" with her hands when she said it and the way she said it was very mocking. She was making a point about how over the years all of these civil rights leaders have been killed and NOW we have a "black Muslim" in the White House. She was mocking the idiots that were in a panic that OMG OBAMA IS A MUSLIM......why that would be such a horrible, world ending thing to begin with is beyond what I understand. That was her whole point. 

What I don't understand is if Obama is so loathed, why are his approval ratings so high? It's like people that don't like him want to give this perception that he's nearly universally loathed and he's not.....where are the receipts that reflect this universal disappointment with him?? 

And if we're going to talk about Obama getting "free passes" for everything, let's talk about it....if he had run a campaign in '08 as the one Trump ran in '16 complete with zero political experience, sexual harassment allegations, insults towards....well everyone except old white men.....rumors of being "cozy" with Russia, a video of him talking about grabbing pussy, even if HE had muttered the words "what a nasty woman" about Hillary at that time, would he REALLY have been elected?? I think not. He would be (and has been) held to a completely different standard. Hmmmmm......any ideas on why that is??? Why are these things not only acceptable but praised when an old white man does it?

2 hours ago, Kurt420 said:

I was at that show and it was obvious to me she was being sarcastic.....I mean, if I recall, she even made the "quote symbol" with her hands when she said it and the way she said it was very mocking. She was making a point about how over the years all of these civil rights leaders have been killed and NOW we have a "black Muslim" in the White House. She was mocking the idiots that were in a panic that OMG OBAMA IS A MUSLIM......why that would be such a horrible, world ending thing to begin with is beyond what I understand. That was her whole point. 

This.

2 hours ago, Kurt420 said:

What I don't understand is if Obama is so loathed, why are his approval ratings so high? It's like people that don't like him want to give this perception that he's nearly universally loathed and he's not.....where are the receipts that reflect this universal disappointment with him?? 

And if we're going to talk about Obama getting "free passes" for everything, let's talk about it....if he had run a campaign in '08 as the one Trump ran in '16 complete with zero political experience, sexual harassment allegations, insults towards....well everyone except old white men.....rumors of being "cozy" with Russia, a video of him talking about grabbing pussy, even if HE had muttered the words "what a nasty woman" about Hillary at that time, would he REALLY have been elected?? I think not. He would be (and has been) held to a completely different standard. Hmmmmm......any ideas on why that is??? Why are these things not only acceptable but praised when an old white man does it?

The way I look at it is since Trump is tipped to pretty much undo whatever Obama did or tried to do during his presidency then it goes without saying that whatever he did is considered to be all wrong and without merits. Saying he was perfect wouldn't be right but to completely dismiss, mock and even overturn his achievements and policies is rather idiotic imho. 

4 hours ago, Kurt420 said:

Yes, she was being sarcastic.  Part of her personality and humour that sometimes does not seem to come across but is more obvious when you see her live. 

Guest Pud Whacker
2 hours ago, ULIZOS said:

:wacko: :lmao:

:lol:

sometimes she is so :censored:

this was not her 'sense of humor' that 'nobody' gets because its wrapped in so much irony, as previously mentioned. this is a woman getting her news from Jessica Seinfeld over a mimosa on Sundays in the Hamptons.  imagine her father, an engineer, having to listen to this waffle on, while his other son is living under a bridge...

and she gets irritated by 'purple lipstick'?

Judging from the last few posts it does look as though some members hate for Obama is bigger than their love for Madonna. 

It's so crystal clear.

But I'm not going to shut up for the sheep that are populating the world now( yes the rise of populism). Madonna the greatest star on earth must have a low opinion of you lot..:lmao: 

On Wednesday, January 04, 2017 at 7:41 PM, MeakMaker said:

.......caring for other people besides of yourself or your little niche is considered idiotic nowadays.....

MM, I get what you're saying here, I really do. When I was younger (I assume you're young, 20s??) I was far more idealistic.... the whole Star Trek and United Federations of Planets all living in harmony... but in order for there to be true peace, whatever the hell that is, it's important to be grounded in reality. All you need is love (Plan A) will never work unless ever single living soul, generation after generation, is on board. Never. Gonna. Happen. Did I really need to say that?  Plan B is reality. That means dealing with the ugly, hence all the vitriol we see online lately. Yes, I think it's absolutley necessary and even positive.

1 hour ago, Sloane said:

MM, I get what you're saying here, I really do. When I was younger (I assume you're young, 20s??) I was far more idealistic.... the whole Star Trek and United Federations of Planets all living in harmony... but in order for there to be true peace, whatever the hell that is, it's important to be grounded in reality. All you need is love (Plan A) will never work unless ever single living soul, generation after generation, is on board. Never. Gonna. Happen. Did I really need to say that?  Plan B is reality. That means dealing with the ugly, hence all the vitriol we see online lately. Yes, I think it's absolutley necessary and even positive.

Yes so why not start from ourselves? If we always have to wait for someone to do it first what would be the point? Where would be the challenge? But we can all start from having a strong belief of love and unity for the entire universe and spread it around; always taking a stand against what's truly wrong and evil in our world. It's hard especially now during these dubious times but maybe it's all a big test. I think humanity is being tested. Our democracies, our societies, our values are being tested. We can all wait to see changes around us but if we are not the ones to actually change what merit would it have? 

All the best :brenspin:

People can make fun of MM's (or Madonna's for that matter) idealism all they want. At the end of the day though, MM and M :) are 100% right! And sure, "peace" is most likely never going to happen but have we not done the alternative time and time again since.............the beginning of time practically?? CLEARLY that's NOT the solution either and never will be. It's all so fucking stupid to go through that cycle time and time again. Wars never end because ALL of the "enemies" are dead or silenced, they end because the two sides FINALLY come to a resolution, or find a way to deal with each other in some way.... somewhat peacefully. Why not just do that from the get-go instead of going through all the bullshit to get to the point?? This is why it's upsetting to have an antagonizing pig become the president. What kind of message does that send? It promotes violence and hatred across the board for everyone. Hence the reason we're seeing black people kidnapping and torturing disabled white folks for being a "Trump supporter" along with the usual Muslim, gay and black bashing from the right that we've seen since.....forever. I don't care if Trump brings peace to planet earth completely.....the way he got there is STILL bogus and not altruistic in any way therefore, it's meaningless. 

9 hours ago, Kurt420 said:

People can make fun of MM's (or Madonna's for that matter) idealism all they want. At the end of the day though, MM and M :) are 100% right! And sure, "peace" is most likely never going to happen but have we not done the alternative time and time again since.............the beginning of time practically?? CLEARLY that's NOT the solution either and never will be. It's all so fucking stupid to go through that cycle time and time again. Wars never end because ALL of the "enemies" are dead or silenced, they end because the two sides FINALLY come to a resolution, or find a way to deal with each other in some way.... somewhat peacefully. Why not just do that from the get-go instead of going through all the bullshit to get to the point?? This is why it's upsetting to have an antagonizing pig become the president. What kind of message does that send? It promotes violence and hatred across the board for everyone. Hence the reason we're seeing black people kidnapping and torturing disabled white folks for being a "Trump supporter" along with the usual Muslim, gay and black bashing from the right that we've seen since.....forever. I don't care if Trump brings peace to planet earth completely.....the way he got there is STILL bogus and not altruistic in any way therefore, it's meaningless. 

Thank you so much Kurt  :) 

this is a question for the people from the USA.When obama was elected people treated him in here (spain) nearly as a leader given to us by god.He was very good, very nice, inteligent, handsome...but I have seen that in the US he has been, and his politics have not been very well received by a lot of americans...he seems to be a very polarizing person in the USA.Do you think Trump´s winning is also a result of Obama being 8 years as a president and being too much for a lot of people? do you think that if instead of obama, the president would have been the typical white middle of the road democrat politician, people would have voted so much for trump?

53 minutes ago, promise to try said:

this is a question for the people from the USA.When obama was elected people treated him in here (spain) nearly as a leader given to us by god.He was very good, very nice, inteligent, handsome...but I have seen that in the US he has been, and his politics have not been very well received by a lot of americans...he seems to be a very polarizing person in the USA.Do you think Trump´s winning is also a result of Obama being 8 years as a president and being too much for a lot of people? do you think that if instead of obama, the president would have been the typical white middle of the road democrat politician, people would have voted so much for trump?

The right hated him from the beginning and hated him even more after he used executive orders to bypass an obstructionist congress and house. The progressive wing of the democrats became disenchanted with his less than stellar performance championing their agenda. Regardless, his approval is extremely high after 8 years in power. I personally think he was miles and miles better than W. Politics here are hyper-polarized so anyone in power is going to be hated. 

I continue to think that Hillary lost because of Hillary. Obama would have easily won a third term against any of the 16(?) Republican hopefuls. Trump could only have won against Hillary in my opinion. If the Democrats had not felt like they owed her the nomination, Bernie Sanders would have been inaugurated next week IMO.

There's this fabulous documentary on Frontline. Inside Obama's President: http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/frontline/film/inside-obamas-presidency/

It shows how in his first few days in office, he's walking super happy and ready to get to work with Republicans during a meeting with Republican congressional leaders. Like 30 minutes he walks out with a really, really disappointed look on his face. The meeting was confidential but according to insiders they apparently told him NOPE. NOPE NOPE NOPE. Whatever you want to do, we're going to stop you. 

That was basically Obama's 8 years in office. 

On 1/5/2017 at 6:37 PM, Love Spent said:

I NEVER supported the inhuman practices that go on at Gitmo but what the fuck is Obama doing here?

At least 18 MORE Guantanamo detainees to be freed within days as Obama starts mass transfer of fanatics who have threatened to bomb and behead Americans

On Thursday afternoon, the Pentagon announced the 'transfer' of four detainees to Saudi Arabia -  Yemenis Salem Ahmed Hadi, Mohammed Ghanim, Mohammed Bawazir, and Abdullah al Shabli.

• DailyMail.com has learned that at least 22 of the 59 Guantanamo Bay detainees should be transferred before January 20; four were moved on Thursday
  • Move would mean more than a third of the detainees leaving U.S. custody before Donald Trump takes office 
  • Trump has already warned President Obama against moving any of those there saying they are 'dangerous' 
  • Transfer scheme lets other countries take responsibility for the detainees but critics say supervision is minimal and some have returned to terror
  • Those freed on Thursday were four Yemenis sent to Saudi Arabia  
  • Previously freed detainees have returned to the jihad, including at least four members of group which says it carried out Charlie Hebdo massacre in Paris.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4085516/Twenty-two-Guantanamo-detainees-freed-days-Obama-plans-mass-transfer-fanatics-threatened-bomb-behead-Americans.html

Girl, shut the fuck up with your daily mail. That's not even fake news. It's joke news.

8 hours ago, mnino said:

I continue to think that Hillary lost because of Hillary. Obama would have easily won a third term against any of the 16(?) Republican hopefuls. Trump could only have won against Hillary in my opinion. If the Democrats had not felt like they owed her the nomination, Bernie Sanders would have been inaugurated next week IMO.

This