Israel prepares to build more Jewish settlements after UN resolution condemns them

XXL

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/people/israel-settlements-jewish-build-palestinian-territories-netanyahu-obama-a7497416.html

Israel prepares to build more Jewish settlements after UN resolution condemns them

US President-elect Donald Trump has indicated he did not support the US position

netanyahu-hanukkah-.jpg

Barack Obama appears set for a final showdown with Benjamin Netanyahu after Israel said it would ignore a UN Security Council resolution and push ahead with the building of more Jewish settlements in Palestinian areas. Last week, in a rare condemnation of Israel, the UN said it settlements had “no legal validity”. The criticism went ahead after the US decided to abstain, rather than use its vote to veto the measure. Mr Netanyahu, who has long had a difficult personal relationship with Mr Obama, immediately announced that Israel would not “turn the other cheek”.

C0Y57M6UoAAxv74.jpg

“Israel rejects this shameful anti-Israel resolute at the UN and will not abide by its terms,” Mr Netanyahu said on Friday. “At a time when the Security Council does nothing to stop the slaughter of half a million people in Syria, it disgracefully gangs up on the one true democracy in the Middle East, Israel, and calls the Western Wall ‘occupied territory’.”

On Tuesday, officials in Israel indicated their intention to push ahead with the controversial development of more Jewish settlements, with Jerusalem’s municipal government saying it intended to proceed with the building of 600 housing units in the predominantly Palestinian section of the city. Plans for the homes were approved in the summer.

Meir Turjeman, the deputy mayor of Jerusalem, told AFP that the plans remain on the table ahead of the UN meeting and would still be raised "in a serious manner". Earlier, the Palestinian President, Mahmoud Abbas, has also weighed in on the issue, saying that he hoped the forthcoming Middle East conference in France would bring about an end to the building of Israeli settlements.

“The decision lays the foundation for any future serious negotiation ... and it paves the way for the international peace conference slated to be held in Paris next month,” he said, in his first public remarks since the UN vote.  “We hope this conference comes up with a mechanism and timetable to end the occupation. The (resolution) proves that the world rejects the settlements, as they are illegal.”

Israel has responded to the vote by announcing it is reducing ties with the nations that voted against it.

The war of words between Israel and the US – Israel has claimed that Mr Obama was personally behind the UN resolution – is likely to continue for the final few weeks of Mr Obama’s presidency. Mr Netanyahu, who last year addressed the joint houses of Congress to condemn the US deal with Iran, knows that President-elect Donald Trump is likely to be far less critical of Jewish settlement building on Palestinian land. Indeed, Mr Trump had called on the US to veto the UN resolution. When it failed to do so, he tweeted that things would be “different” after he assumes office. 

Reuters said that some of Mr Netanyahu’s fiery rhetoric may be part of an effort to position himself for domestic political reasons. A $38bn (£31bn) US aid-package to Israel has already been agreed and the Israeli premier wants to try and tap into deep-seated feelings among many Israelis that their country and its policies towards the Palestinians receive excessive global condemnation.

It said that he has tried to rally Israelis around him by portraying the anti-settlement resolution as a challenge to Israel's claimed sovereignty over all of Jerusalem.

1 hour ago, CzarnaWisnia said:

The international community has condemned Israel's terrorist colonisation for decades. For once, the US just didn't impose a veto.

Which was refreshing and surprising, though enacted through abstention rather than joining the other countries, so not a direct slap in the face, how cunning. Trump on this foreign policy issue completely missing the mark

He applauds Russia for doing the most to slow down IS advance (while making sure Assad stays in power) yet condemns Syria's number one Shiite ally Iran and the "ridiculousness of the Iranian deal brokered by Kerry" and kisses Israel's ass when Israel together with Turkey, Qatar, Saudi Arabia and the CIA of course has done the most to inflame and empower the terrorist organisations in the region

He looks at foreign policy in terms of US isolationsim and protectionism yet fails to grasp that US interests have been at risk forever now exactly because of their unhealthy, too cozy and all-forgiving relationship with not always exactly democratic Israel.

8 minutes ago, Inlakesh said:

Do I sense an anti jews vibe in this thread?

I am jew, well not a good one...lol...but my family is.

whatever

no you don't! I love the Jewish religion I just think it's not really universal and that comes across a bit racist against other cultures. I love the Jewish moral code with its commandments. I'm not very fond of the homophobia though :/.

28 minutes ago, Genevieve Vavance said:

no you don't! I love the Jewish religion I just think it's not really universal and that comes across a bit racist against other cultures. I love the Jewish moral code with its commandments. I'm not very fond of the homophobia though :/.

it's ok, not even I understand or sympathize with all that but I don't make fun or grudge about it either. after all we're all broken children raising broken children in this beautiful planet.

17 minutes ago, spazz said:

Like Madonna

You mean like Guy O'Seary. He can singlehandedly turn Madonna's career into a joke and people still applaud him, because he's a jew who "rocks". "Oh Madonna, you should work with Kanye West. All the young people are raving about him." :rolleyes:

1 hour ago, Inlakesh said:

Do I sense an anti jews vibe in this thread?

I am jew, well not a good one...lol...but my family is.

whatever

I disagree

Criticising Israel does not equate being against Jews or Judaism. Zionism and the Jewish heritage are very distinct elements. Many people casually confuse the two. There are many individuals of Jewish heritage and Jewish faith who are appalled at Israel policies.

These discussions are sort of disheartening. It's like when you criticise the US government or any government with some people it suddenly makes you anti this or that other nationality. You are taking issue with that particular gov not its people who are subjected to the consequences of their political class decisions. As it happens in any country.

It all depends on how you discuss issues and obviously you also need to have some basic awareness of correct terminology and background antefacts which in this world of 5min superficial news reporting of sound bites and trite prepackaged assertions is increasingly hard to come by. And people are already vexed upon enough with everyday problems of bad administration and corrupt politicians that they don't even have the strength to check for themselves.

Take the problem of terrorism. How many people know or care to know the difference between a Shiite country and a Sunni one? That's like the ABC, a fundamental element, without it you can't even start a meaningful conversation which doesn't reduce itself to the parroting of sanitised info they call news these days

And people are already playing the same game they have ever since the state of Israel was founded. Pulling the anti-semite card whenever someone criticizes the state of Israel. Enough is enough. For decades Israel has been pampered by other nations and never been really called out for all the evil things they have done in the past. Israel is always crying foul, yet they are an aggressor themselves. Israel should start to face the facts. If anyone is giving Israel a bad name it is Israel itself. And people are fed up with it. Even people in Israel. Their politicians need to be held responsible. All the conservative ones are basically warmongers backed by the ultraconservative jews, many of them being Russian immigrants. It is time for other nations to distance themselves from Israel and no longer leave things unquestioned on the table. And Donald Trump is a dumb asshole. His tweets are getting more ridiculous and quite frankly I fear that his nonsense will put U.S. citizens in danger at some point. But maybe this is what he wants. To have a justification to go to war.

Netanyahu is speaking right now and once again he is making Israel the sole victim here. The peace loving Israel. Give me a break. And Netanyahu is such a weak leader. He is pissing his pants looking behind his shoulder. Because there are the ultra conservatives. He pretends to be in favor of a two state solution yet he is only backed by people in favor of a single state. Who is he kidding? People should grant him his wish and let Israel be the master of his own fate.

1 hour ago, Raider of the lost Ark said:

And people are already playing the same game they have ever since the state of Israel was founded. Pulling the anti-semite card whenever someone criticizes the state of Israel. Enough is enough. For decades Israel has been pampered by other nations and never been really called out for all the evil things they have done in the past. Israel is always crying foul, yet they are an aggressor themselves. Israel should start to face the facts. If anyone is giving Israel a bad name it is Israel itself. And people are fed up with it. Even people in Israel. Their politicians need to be held responsible. All the conservative ones are basically warmongers backed by the ultraconservative jews, many of them being Russian immigrants. It is time for other nations to distance themselves from Israel and no longer leave things unquestioned on the table. And Donald Trump is a dumb asshole. His tweets are getting more ridiculous and quite frankly I fear that his nonsense will put U.S. citizens in danger at some point. But maybe this is what he wants. To have a justification to go to war.

I actually agree. And this shouldn't be perceived as an attack to the Jews or the religion itself which I respect dearly ... The problem lies in the leaders of the state of Israel who have always failed to reach a peace agreement with Palestine. Why can't their land be shared? I never understood their insistence in claiming that land for themselves. Why can't Muslims and Jews live together in peace? Who's really pulling the strings there? 

4 hours ago, ULIZOS said:

I wish I could be a jew. I could do whatever I wanted :inlove:

I am a bit jewish in quarter.
both my father&mother side have jewish roots :D but so far nothing material has come... :D but caused losing somethings.

6 minutes ago, ULIZOS said:

Because they, both of them, STILL believe in Stone Age mythology and mumbo jumbo. 

and about the stone age mythology, 

painting the eggs... is it a post-structuralist ritual? :p

9 minutes ago, ULIZOS said:

Because they, both of them, STILL believe in Stone Age mythology and mumbo jumbo. 

But shouldn't their leaders -whom I assume are supposed to be intelligent people- enlight their minds? Thousands of years of wars and conflicts in the name of what? Can't people see the error of the past and come back to their senses and live like humans before it's too late? As I said it's their leaders who very conveniently want separation and spread hate against each other.   

3 hours ago, PetrusPan said:

and about the stone age mythology, 

painting the eggs... is it a post-structuralist ritual? :p

It's a fairly new Religion of Materialism ritual 

adbusters_corporate_flag.jpg

Also Black Friday, you PUSH and SHOVE and CREAM and FIGHT, all in the name of the LORD and Amerykuh :lmao:

2390E7EB00000578-2852585-Scrum_down_Cust

3 hours ago, MeakMaker said:

But shouldn't their leaders -whom I assume are supposed to be intelligent people- enlight their minds? Thousands of years of wars and conflicts in the name of what? Can't people see the error of the past and come back to their senses and live like humans before it's too late? As I said it's their leaders who very conveniently want separation and spread hate against each other.   

You try talking some sense into a die-hard Jew or Muslim or Catholic or Hindu or ANYONE. Seriously, try it. It's scary and it's no different than talking to someone with mental issues. 

And the only reason why I say this is because I think ALL religions are stupid and if that makes me a racist then so be it. I just LOVE keeping it real when it comes to the Jewish one because somehow that's absolutely AWFUL and RACIST and EVIL and off limits but I could easily call someone an Evangelical * thumping inbred and nobody would care :lmao:AND I'm basically the same race as many Jews so that would be kind of dumb and self-loathing on my part.