Lorry kills twelve at Christmas market in Berlin

LSD

A lorry has ploughed into a Christmas market in central Berlin, killing nine people and injuring many more, police say.

Police now say they suspect it was a deliberate attack. Video footage from the scene shows stalls knocked over and people lying injured on the ground.

The driver is on the run, German media report. 

The market is at Breitscheidplatz close to the Kurfuerstendamm, the main shopping street in the city's west.

A reporter for the Berliner Morgenpost described a "gruesome scene".

The Berliner Zeitung reports that police have set up a meeting point for relatives at the scene.

A photographer for the DPA news agency said that armed police were at entrance to the nearby zoo.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-38373867

Horrific.  Hope all our German members are safe.  

Germany has been very generous to refugees and migrants and now extreme assholes have to kill innocent people and heighten social/political tensions. 

Very f**ked up, especially during xmas week.

RIP.....

It's 10 minutes from where I live...been there several times the last couple of weeks. Quite shocked right now! Germany has been rather spared from attacks like these so far, but obviously it was always a matter of time before something worse would happen here too. So sad.

Very surprised to read that a few people were shot near the Islamic center in Zurich.

Don't know what that incident was about, but there's defintely crazy s**t taking place in Europe today. 

Hope nothing else! 

Cowardly despicable acts in Berlin and Zurich...hope we eventually get rid of this scourge of the earth! Scumbags!

9 hours ago, Nick said:

Germany has been very generous to refugees and migrants and now extreme assholes have to kill innocent people and heighten social/political tensions. 

Very f**ked up, especially during xmas week.

RIP.....

Yes.  

This has really made me sad.  I do feel for all families destroyed.

Don't know what to say. It's so sad. I'm so sorry for all the families and friends who lost a loved one and the ones in hospital right now. I hope the death toll is not rising. They say many of the victims were heavily injured, which makes sense considering what happened, and some are still in critical condition. Christmas markets in Berlin will probably remain closed today out of respect. 

This Is so weird, because my bf's parents wanted to spend Christmas time in Europe and do the Christmas markets. he highly suggested Berlin, his dad liked the idea very much. 

We are so glad that they decided on London instead. 

4 hours ago, Mmmmm said:

BREAKING NEWS: German security services admit they have the WRONG man after arresting Pakistani asylum seeker, 23, over Berlin Christmas market massacre - and armed killer is still at large

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4049442/Terror-attack-fears-lorry-ploughs-Christmas-market-Berlin-leaving-two-people-dead.html

46 minutes ago, horn said:

BREAKING NEWS: German security services admit they have the WRONG man after arresting Pakistani asylum seeker, 23, over Berlin Christmas market massacre - and armed killer is still at large

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4049442/Terror-attack-fears-lorry-ploughs-Christmas-market-Berlin-leaving-two-people-dead.html

Oh wtf! Getting mixed news. On sky news they saying the German police still don't know if the attack had a Islamist background. 

There was a bomb threat earlier here at cologne central station. It was nothing in the end!..seriously, I hope they find those people, who use the fear of the people at the moment for such a shit...

36 minutes ago, Nora said:

There was a bomb threat earlier here at cologne central station. It was nothing in the end!..seriously, I hope they find those people, who use the fear of the people at the moment for such a shit...

Oh absolutely. Idiots! And they need to make them pay. The cost to evacuate a train station, all the staff involved from police to private security, the problems that trains can no longer arrive and depart, the loss of revenue for the outlets situated at the train station. This is easily a huge amount of money. Not counting the problems for the passengers and visitors. Those criminals will be in debt for the rest of their life and will have to live at a minimum. That's the only way. I think this scares people more than some prison time. Although I think sentence for a such a crime is pretty hefty as well.