Jump to content
MadonnaNation.com Forums
promise to try

which new artist is dominating the decade?

Recommended Posts

Rihanna has the midas touch for sure and is cultural.

Beyonce, Azealia, and Lana are cultural and have cult following hits.

Taylor Swift  and Ariana can write a hit 

Selena is loved.

Nicki Minaj can lay down a rap and speak her mind.

Drake, Beiber, The Weeknd, Bruno Mars i guess are their male counterparts. But the industry is definitely led by the Female Pop star, right now..

I don't follow modern acts as much, but I'm definitely aware of these names so I think, they are it!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Pedro said:

This! There's no substance, no content, no intelligence to backup whatever they are selling/singing/portraying. There's no mithology that can be created around today stars. When I started following Madonna I was attracted to her music but also to what was behind the music, the videos, the position she took with religion, art, sex, etc. Her interviews were deeply interesting as her work. She wasn't afraid to experiment and deliver. Stars today are lost if they try to do something out of the box 

👍👍

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I thought it was a given that none of them epitomize greatness or acclaim like the music legend. Just who's the "most successful" right now given the drastically low standards of today

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, eroticerotic said:

 Ariana can write a hit 

Selena is loved.

Nicki Minaj can lay down a rap and speak her mind.

 

I don´t think general public knows them, at least her songs...I don´t know them either!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Beyonce seems to get all the glory, it's as if her people managed to slap all the other RnB hoes out of the way for her. Remember in the early 2000s, Jenny ho, Ashanti etc, they all were big for 5 minutes. Matthew Knowles is evil. :IMG_1564:

However, our mothers and fathers couldn't name you one Beyonce song other than perhaps the dance for Single Ladies being Good... but they couldn't tell you the name of the song. :lol: This generation has no big stars, and it's an ageist and 5 minute wonder type of world... I feel sorry for the kids growing up in the Youtube generation really, it's great to have things at the click of a mouse but where's their excitement? It lasts for 3 minutes then they move onto the next video. :( 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, billiejean said:

Beyonce seems to get all the glory, it's as if her people managed to slap all the other RnB hoes out of the way for her. Remember in the early 2000s, Jenny ho, Ashanti etc, they all were big for 5 minutes. Matthew Knowles is evil. :IMG_1564:

However, our mothers and fathers couldn't name you one Beyonce song other than perhaps the dance for Single Ladies being Good... but they couldn't tell you the name of the song. :lol: This generation has no big stars, and it's an ageist and 5 minute wonder type of world... I feel sorry for the kids growing up in the Youtube generation really, it's great to have things at the click of a mouse but where's their excitement? It lasts for 3 minutes then they move onto the next video. :( 

I was just going to say that Madonna was know by my parents, uncles, aunts, grandparents and even at the time my great grandmother and in a country where English isn't the official language... they knew Madonna, not "heard off Madonna"... I don't see that happening with any of the stars today...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Pedro said:

I was just going to say that Madonna was know by my parents, uncles, aunts, grandparents and even at the time my great grandmother and in a country where English isn't the official language... they knew Madonna, not "heard off Madonna"... I don't see that happening with any of the stars today...

yes.Some of the artists that were mentioned before (selena...), I know them, but I don´t know their songs or works.I know them because of their instagram pictures, or because they are related in some way to somebody famous.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Id say taylor swift or adele..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

When I look at this decade so far, there are some massive names but where are the massive hits? Beyoncé, T-Shit, Ju Beeb etc are massive but aren't producing those massive crossover hits. Rihanna has had lots of big singles but lacks big global star status. 

But then again, it might just be a generational thing. I've given up on the charts as I've got a personal history of over forty years of music to draw on.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I honestly think times are just different now. There are so many new artists, so many songs being released. You don't even need a record label anymore. It's hard for any one artist to have a huge hold on the industry.

You just don't get crossover megastars like M and MJ anymore.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, billiejean said:

Beyonce seems to get all the glory, it's as if her people managed to slap all the other RnB hoes out of the way for her. Remember in the early 2000s, Jenny ho, Ashanti etc, they all were big for 5 minutes. Matthew Knowles is evil. :IMG_1564:

However, our mothers and fathers couldn't name you one Beyonce song other than perhaps the dance for Single Ladies being Good... but they couldn't tell you the name of the song. :lol: This generation has no big stars, and it's an ageist and 5 minute wonder type of world... I feel sorry for the kids growing up in the Youtube generation really, it's great to have things at the click of a mouse but where's their excitement? It lasts for 3 minutes then they move onto the next video. :sadface: 

 

22 hours ago, billiejean said:

Beyonce seems to get all the glory, it's as if her people managed to slap all the other RnB hoes out of the way for her. Remember in the early 2000s, Jenny ho, Ashanti etc, they all were big for 5 minutes. Matthew Knowles is evil. :IMG_1564:

However, our mothers and fathers couldn't name you one Beyonce song other than perhaps the dance for Single Ladies being Good... but they couldn't tell you the name of the song. :lol: This generation has no big stars, and it's an ageist and 5 minute wonder type of world... I feel sorry for the kids growing up in the Youtube generation really, it's great to have things at the click of a mouse but where's their excitement? It lasts for 3 minutes then they move onto the next video. :sadface: 

:clap:

Well said

All of it

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, impr3ssive_instant said:

I honestly think times are just different now. There are so many new artists, so many songs being released. You don't even need a record label anymore. It's hard for any one artist to have a huge hold on the industry.

You just don't get crossover megastars like M and MJ anymore.

Yes this is also true

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, jonski43 said:

When I look at this decade so far, there are some massive names but where are the massive hits? Beyoncé, T-Shit, Ju Beeb etc are massive but aren't producing those massive crossover hits. Rihanna has had lots of big singles but lacks big global star status. 

But then again, it might just be a generational thing. I've given up on the charts as I've got a personal history of over forty years of music to draw on.

:thumbsup:

So many great points brought up in this thread

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎27‎/‎12‎/‎2016 at 3:24 AM, eroticerotic said:

Rihanna has the midas touch for sure and is cultural.

Beyonce, Azealia, and Lana are cultural and have cult following hits.

Taylor Swift  and Ariana can write a hit 

Selena is loved.

Nicki Minaj can lay down a rap and speak her mind.

Drake, Beiber, The Weeknd, Bruno Mars i guess are their male counterparts. But the industry is definitely led by the Female Pop star, right now..

I don't follow modern acts as much, but I'm definitely aware of these names so I think, they are it!

I don't see what's cultural about Lana Del Rey, Rihanna or Beyonce. Being fashionable and having loads of followers on social media is not cultural or of any intellectual stimulation per se

What they lack is having something to say and the eloquence to express it

Are you sure Taylor writes her own songs?

As for Bieber, Bruno Mars etc I feel the same way, pretty faces who can dance a bit but nothing truly outstandingly charismatic or groundbreaking about them. Bruno Mars tipped as the new MJ as Timberlake was 15 years ago. Not really

I agree though that they are the stars of today's landscape though and, especially after 2010, that is the problem really. I know this makes me the Pop Star Grinch :laugh: but that's how I feel about those names.

I love loads of other artists and female artists but as far as mainstream pop music goes it feels too forced, groomed, controlled and protected these days. Nothing appealing about it because there is no spontaneity or actual REAL contribution from the acts in question

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

so, we still don´t agree about somebody from this decade, that started in this decade, as famous/influential that would be recognizable, her/his music and herlsef/himself, by anybody. that´s what happens when you destroy the music industry, I guess

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, XXL said:

I don't see what's cultural about Lana Del Rey, Rihanna or Beyonce. Being fashionable and having loads of followers on social media is not cultural or of any intellectual stimulation per se

What they lack is having something to say and the eloquence to express it

Are you sure Taylor writes her own songs?

As for Bieber, Bruno Mars etc I feel the same way, pretty faces who can dance a bit but nothing truly outstandingly charismatic or groundbreaking about them. Bruno Mars tipped as the new MJ as Timberlake was 15 years ago. Not really

I agree though that they are the stars of today's landscape though and, especially after 2010, that is the problem really. I know this makes me the Pop Star Grinch :laugh: but that's how I feel about those names.

I love loads of other artists and female artists but as far as mainstream pop music goes it feels too forced, groomed, controlled and protected these days. Nothing appealing about it because there is no spontaneity or actual REAL contribution from the acts in question

But that's the thing that's the current batch of who will become legends in the future whether we like it or not, times move on without u if u can't keep up 

lana has something to say in her music and her visuals which I find refreshing and timeless in a world where people think they have to be shocking  for the sake of shocking.  Azealia is extremely politically incorrect in a world full of sjw n pc snowflakes. Rihanna influences fashion and pop culture without trying. It's hot.

they are each their own individuals  and I can provide more details but I think u can look into them 

i don't follow others enough to comment on them but in aware of their popularity

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The problem with pop music recently is there's not much emotion in the songs, and I mean genuine emotion, everything has to be club ready and the few ballads that do get released sound tame and made for the radio. Where as in the 80s / 90s and even 00s there were edgy songs, the top 40 was a mix of rock, rnb and general pop.

George Michael ballads for example felt raw and so do Madonnas.

There seems to have been a top 40 clear out recently where everything is brand new acts who don't stick around for long, with very few older acts still remaining. I'm surprised Maroon 5 still chart, but then again they now sound just as generic as any other act filling up the top 40.

it feels like artistic freedom is now dead, everything has to sound commercially appealing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't consider being uber successful with becoming a legend, we have had many cases in the last 50 years. 

I worked many many years for TBWA/Chiat Day the advertising agency for Apple when Steve Jobs came back and re hauled the whole brand. There was a tv spot tha presented people who changed the world and the copy read as following; 

Here's to the crazy ones. The misfits. The rebels. The troublemakers. The round pegs in the square holes. The ones who see things differently. They're not fond of rules. And they have no respect for the status quo. You can quote them, disagree with them, glorify or vilify them. About the only thing you can't do is ignore them. Because they change things. They push the human race forward. And while some may see them as the crazy ones, we see genius. Because the people who are crazy enough to think they can change the world, are the ones who do. Think Different. 

That for me is what constitutes the fabric of a legend... 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just a quick reminder: Bieber started in 2009, so to those listing him and dismissing others because they "started earlier", his first album says HI ;)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, Je5u5 said:

Just a quick reminder: Bieber started in 2009, so to those listing him and dismissing others because they "started earlier", his first album says HI ;)

:thumbsup:so...no real worldwide stars these decade? hopefully bruno or weekend will release more quality music in the next years!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm always looking for new artists to discover and listen to. Had success with non-mainstream artists, but  just disappointing not as much with pop music. 

Agree with others that so much of what is most popular today will NOT have the longevity like Madonna.

 

Everything goes in cycles, so that can change very quickly. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The thing with Drake also is that in about 10 years he was what? Like 3 interational hits overall if you don't count stuff like his features in a Rihanna song. Most people outside of North America will have a hard time naming something other than Hotline Bling and One Dance. Hardly "king of the 2010s worldwide" material.

Bruno and Biebs have the hits. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I honestly can't think of anyone who really dominates in the same sense of decades past. There really aren't any superstars. Taylor, Justin, Kanye, Adele and Drake are all successful, but I wouldn't say that any of them is a superstar. Rihanna has a huge number of hits, but TBH they're catchy and fun to listen to, but just not that memorable. Gaga for a while seemed to have "it", but she turned out to be nothing more than a flash in the pan. Maybe in the next decade we will see someone emerge who captivates the general public, but I wouldn't bet on it. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The sad list for America is:

Group: Maroon 5

Female: Taylor Swift

Male: Bruno Mars

?: Justin Bieber

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's so weird that certain music can only be enjoyed or comprehend when you're a teenager. Maybe it has to do with which moments you live with that music as soundtrack. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, karbatal said:

It's so weird that certain music can only be enjoyed or comprehend when you're a teenager. Maybe it has to do with which moments you live with that music as soundtrack. 

if the music is only about having fun, girls. boys...I don´t know, I still enjoy that type of music, but I listen to music and artists that I know for sure that my younger me wouldn´t understand

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Celine Dion

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The superstar is a thing of the past. If ur looking for who's Madonna and mj now thats impossible, there's like a hundred madonnas and a hundred mjs now. Maybe Rihanna and Bieber? Beyoncé and Bruno? Taylor and weekend? Adele and drake? Lana and Sam? Ariana, Sia, Nicki?

Currently we want our stars relatable, and Not too crazy out there. Not too this or too that. I think that will change soon. It's just how trends work. In cycles. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 16/1/2017 at 10:23 AM, eroticerotic said:

The superstar is a thing of the past. If ur looking for who's Madonna and mj now thats impossible, there's like a hundred madonnas and a hundred mjs now. Maybe Rihanna and Bieber? Beyoncé and Bruno? Taylor and weekend? Adele and drake? Lana and Sam? Ariana, Sia, Nicki?

Currently we want our stars relatable, and Not too crazy out there. Not too this or too that. I think that will change soon. It's just how trends work. In cycles. 

I think that Madonna understood the power of the video as an art form and MTVs role and contribution to her outstanding artistic output, work ethic and above all the ability to intrigue people up to today. I don't think that today stars have understood how to play the game or make today's environment work in their favor as Madonna did. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×