Trump / US politics thread 🚽

Camacho

21 minutes ago, acko said:

What an epic fail 4 democracy. Always going on about being the leaders of the free world...

It's really sad to see the results of the popular vote, especially this time around, but the Electoral College was designed so that all states are better represented. I don't see what's wrong with that or how that's undemocratic. If it weren't for the Electoral College or the fact that each state has 2 senators, regardless of population, it'd basically be California, Texas, Florida and New York deciding everything every single time. 

9 minutes ago, ULIZOS said:

It's really sad to see the results of the popular vote, especially this time around, but the Electoral College was designed so that all states are better represented. I don't see what's wrong with that or how that's undemocratic. If it weren't for the Electoral College or the fact that each state has 2 senators, regardless of population, it'd basically be California, Texas, Florida and New York deciding everything every single time. 

thats how its done in most other democratic countries..i don't get it why should let rural decide for millions of others

you have a man on the job who didn't get the most votes, he should not get it

and this is not a minor thing like in 2000, difference is HUGE and favors Hillary, people really wanted her

7 minutes ago, ULIZOS said:

But a 3 million difference does seem rather disproportionate too!

13 minutes ago, dollhouse said:

thats how its done in most other democratic countries..i don't get it why should let rural decide for millions of others

Most democratic countries don't have 320,000,000 people.

I have no idea how the EU works, but it'd be like the most populous countries in the EU making all the decisions every single time without ever taking into account what the smaller countries want. If that's how the EU works then I don't know why anyone would want to join. 

The entities in the U.S. that have been most affected by the recent recession and that historically have survived mostly off of agriculture and industry are the ones that ultimately decided these elections. It fucking sucks, but it's just the reality. 

6 minutes ago, ULIZOS said:

I have no idea how the EU works, but it'd be like the most populous countries in the EU making all the decisions every single time without ever taking into account what the smaller countries want. If that's how the EU works then I don't know why anyone would want to join. 

The entities in the U.S. that have been most affected by the recent recession and that historically have survived mostly off of agriculture and industry are the ones that ultimately decided these elections. It fucking sucks, but it's just the reality. 

The EU is not a national entity like a federal state.

35 minutes ago, acko said:

The EU is not a national entity like a federal state.

This

Though they so plan to turn it into one, very clumsily. They cannot even get monetary and fiscal policy done right. Which for the fiscal part would mean having a unified system in the first place. Mess. That said, what is happening in Europe is the same thing going on in the US, calculated destruction of the job market and impoverishment of the middle classes

3 hours ago, ULIZOS said:

Agree entirely.  Why I hate the result of the American election,  I do think that states should be represented rather than simply the population in huge countries.  We do that in Australia and the differences in how people vote from state to state is fascinating.  It often goes down to what the state governments are doing for the public.  I agree with it because otherwise the people in New South Wales and Victoria would have more say due to huge populations in Sydney and Melbourne  than other states who would be left out in the cold by the Federal Government.  We see it in the corporate business world where everything is based mainly in Sydney and Melbourne and the politicians need to take notice of what the whole country thinks, not just the major cities.  I can see why this happens in America.  it seems and reads unfair but it is giving the whole country a voice.  Dreadful about the result but it was something everyone was aware of beforehand.  Just shocked at the people that put faith in Trump though.  He could not care less about the working class people and is openly racist and sexist. 

The most annoying kinds of people right now are those who are wringing their hands frantically and saying they don't understand what the US has done, etc etc, yet they were posting on Facebook for months about how there was "really no difference" between Trump and Hillary, "not much of a choice etc."  I'm sorry, but if you thought they were essentially the same, that means that you were prepared for either one to win and to begrudgingly accept it.  It does NOT mean that you thought Trump was the end of the world, or you would have supported Clinton and not bitched about her every God damn second.  

Leads me to believe that a lot of people assumed Clinton would win, and thought that that assumption gave them license to act sanctimonious and disparage her at every turn. And now those same people are all "oh, my Godddddd what have we done?"

If you don't vote, don't bitch.

And now these same people exhausting themselves with declarations that they will fight and protest for the next four years for this, that and the other thing.  For God's sake, all this effort they're going to expend when they could have just refrained from ripping Hillary a new one all over social media for months and gotten out to vote.

I still think the Electoral College system needs to be modified or altered in some way. As it turned out, there were more "faithless" voters this time around than ever before. Meaning, voters in the Electoral College that were in districts that Hillary actually won, voted against her, so in the end, her Electoral College vote was even LESS on 12/19 than it was on 11/8. Given the difference in Electoral votes between Clinton and Trump was so wide anyways, it didn't really matter as far as the outcome of the election goes but let's just say the Electoral votes had been closer and then these "faithless" voters in areas where she won, voted against her. That would mean they truly determined the election results with little say from the people. Had the Electoral votes been closer, that means her popular vote would've been even higher than it already is. In essence, that would mean the Electoral College voted against what the people wanted and they do have every right to do that. They shouldn't have that much power. 

Trump didn't win.

Hillary lost. She lost to fucking Trump.

and people should accept the fact that she was a bad pick, but unfortunately all fingers are pointed on everybody except her. 

She should have won by a landslide, but she didn't. 

10 hours ago, Kurt420 said:

I still think the Electoral College system needs to be modified or altered in some way. As it turned out, there were more "faithless" voters this time around than ever before. Meaning, voters in the Electoral College that were in districts that Hillary actually won, voted against her, so in the end, her Electoral College vote was even LESS on 12/19 than it was on 11/8. Given the difference in Electoral votes between Clinton and Trump was so wide anyways, it didn't really matter as far as the outcome of the election goes but let's just say the Electoral votes had been closer and then these "faithless" voters in areas where she won, voted against her. That would mean they truly determined the election results with little say from the people. Had the Electoral votes been closer, that means her popular vote would've been even higher than it already is. In essence, that would mean the Electoral College voted against what the people wanted and they do have every right to do that. They shouldn't have that much power. 

It's called redistricting, which favors republicans for whatever reason almost every time :chuckle:

http://thehill.com/homenews/news/311498-obama-administration-nixes-visitor-registry-ahead-of-trumps-inauguration

December 22, 2016 - 11:02 AM EST

Obama gets rid of visitor registry before Trump takes over

BY JESSIE HELLMANN

The Obama administration is abolishing a national registry program created to track visitors from countries with active terrorist groups, a move likely intended to send a strong message to Donald Trump just weeks before he takes office, the New York Times reports. 

The registry, officially called the National Security Entry-Exit Registration System, was created after the Sept. 11, 2001 terrorist attacks, but has not been in use since 2011. 

President-elect Trump has suggested he was open to reviving the program and has even floated a wider national registry of all Muslims and potentially barring people from countries with a history of Islamist extremism from entering the country.

The Department of Homeland Security submitted a rule change for dismantling of the program, writing that it no longer helps security. The changes will take effect Friday. 

“D.H.S. ceased use of NSEERS more than five years ago, after it was determined the program was redundant, inefficient and provided no increase in security,” Neema Hakim, a spokesman for the Department of Homeland Security, said in a statement.

Hakim said the program diverts personnel and resources from other areas that are more effective. 

Civil liberties groups have long criticized the program.

The American-Arab Anti-Discrimination Committee praised the move, calling the registry a "failed program rooted in discriminatory profiling." 

In a statement, the group said it has worked "tirelessly" in pushing DHS to dismantle the program. 

“This is the right decision by [Homeland] Secretary [Jeh] Johnson. We commend him, and the Obama administration, for letting it be known that such registry programs are futile and have no place in our country," said Abed Ayoub, the group's legal and policy director.

"However the community cannot be at ease; the next administration has indicated that they will consider implementing similar programs. We will work twice as hard to protect our community and ensure such programs do not come to fruition.” 

Kris Kobach, Kansas's secretary of state and a member of Trump's transition team, was photographed with a document recommending reintroducing the visitor registry program in the first year of Trump's presidency. 

"All aliens from high-risk areas are tracked," the document said. 

Trump has waffled on whether his administration would create a broader so-called Muslim registry, and he faced new questions about the proposal this week after the attack in Berlin. 

Asked by reporters if he intends to set up a registry, he said: "You know my plans," adding, "All along, I've been proven to be right, 100 percent correct."

5 minutes ago, Hector said:

So why doesn't Donald Trump come to his senses? He and his pal Putin can change the world forever by getting rid of all these nuclear weapons and send a strong message to the world by leading by example. 

They've  been spending trillions on these nuclear weapons and what for? To what use? To drop them where? Against who? I'm disgusted by these leaders. Is it ever possible none of them has ever denounced them? Is it ever possible all these leaders can't meet and discuss ways to stop producing them? To work together for the safety of the whole planet instead of using these powerful weapons as a threat against us? When are we seriously going to open our eyes?

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/politics/trump-cabinet-picks-sell-assets-save-millions-taxes-article-1.2920595

So much for getting rid of the elite.. Can any of you Trump supporters enlight me on this one, please? Where's the outrage? Voting for him to go against the political establishment? Or was it the Mexican Wall? Or his sexist and racist remarks? Being friends with Russia? Or was it because he was shouting USA USA? Can I know why he was voted in the first place? 

16 hours ago, GOD said:

Trump didn't win.

Hillary lost. She lost to fucking Trump.

and people should accept the fact that she was a bad pick, but unfortunately all fingers are pointed on everybody except her. 

She should have won by a landslide, but she didn't. 

Actually, Trump did win. I really don't like the guy, but saying he "didn't win" is just allowing yourself to ignore the substantive reasons why he was elected that aren't just sexism and racism related. As the losing campaign, Hillary does need to take responsibility, but at the end of the day millions of people voted for her in the democratic primary which is why she was there in the first place. Could Bernie have beat Trump? Possibly. However, Bernie represents to a greater extent than Clinton, what people have been growing increasingly tired about with the political left. Then rise of right-wing ideology around the world shows this.

Guest Pud Whacker
4 hours ago, Kurt420 said:

The administration that follows his is going to have one helluva mess to clean up. It's going to be Bush 2.0 on crack.

Dingle Twat had 8 years. As Hillary stated in the 2007 debates with Obama, on the job training was going to waste time, so we can look at it like this...the social media morons and democrats in 2008 that railroaded over Hillary the first time and ushered Obama into that White House without experience knocked down that wall to make it easier for Trump. 

Be optimistic, Kurt!

On 21/12/2016 at 6:39 PM, dollhouse said:

you have a man on the job who didn't get the most votes, he should not get it

and this is not a minor thing like in 2000, difference is HUGE and favors Hillary, people really wanted her

Not really. Most people in America, both on the left and the right, hates her. Most people just thought she was a little bit better than Trump, nothing more. Her approval ratings are disastrous. A Hillary vote =/= being a Hillary fan. Most people just voted against Trump, just like a LOT of people voted against Hillary. This whole election was an unpopularity contest.

6 hours ago, Kurt420 said:

The administration that follows his is going to have one helluva mess to clean up. It's going to be Bush 2.0 on crack.

True. Trump is going to be the worst president America EVER had, i can feel it. He doesn't have any political experience, his IQ is VERY low, he can't control his temperament and his cabinet is full of nothing but complete lunatic fascists. It's going to be a tough 4 years.

Also a lot of people who voted for him, especially independents, will quickly realise that he's not "anti-establishment" as he pretended to be. It was just a campaign gimmick and his stupid supporters believed it. In 2020 he'll be out, i'm sure of it. Even George W Bush had more experience when he became president and he wasn't nowhere near as nasty as Trump in his rhetoric.