Australian state Victoria set to legalise Euthanasia

Jazzy Jan

Victoria is set to become the first state in Australia to legalise Euthanasia for the terminally ill.  I know this is a very emotional and heart-breaking topic but I hope it gets passed by the Victoria parliament.   It is cruel to dictate to people who have begged to die to say they should be made to suffer in extreme pain from an incurable illness.  As long as there are very strong safety nets,  terminally ill people should be able to have control over how and when they die in my view, rather than have to suffer such pain and despair. 

Victoria could become the first state in Australia to legalise euthanasia

A CONTROVERSIAL bill to legalise euthanasia will be introduced into Victorian parliament in the second half of 2017.

Premier Daniel Andrews was previously against euthanasia, but is now keen to support it after watching his father suffer through a long battle with cancer.

“That gives you reason to reassess whether you have got this right and, for my part, my (previous) opposition to these laws was wrong,” Mr Andrews told reporters in Melbourne.

“My position has changed. Subject to the appropriate safeguards, subject to a good bill being put forward ... I intend to vote for that bill.”

Patients who are terminally ill seeking euthanasia will have to go through three steps.

According to Seven News, patients must first request to be euthanised without coercion.

They are required to put the request in writing twice before verbally asking to be prescribed with a lethal dose.

Two doctors will then review the request and will prescribe the lethal medication if they approve it.

Patients then have to administer the dose themselves.

Mr Andrews says an expert panel of clinical, legal, consumer and health experts will advise the government on drafting the legislation.

“We are doing the work to make sure that everyone in the Victorian parliament has the information, and assurances, they need to make an informed decision about this important issue,” Mr Andrews said in a statement on Thursday.

The premier said Labor MPs would be allowed to vote on the bill according to their conscience.

Opposition Leader Matthew Guy has previously made it clear coalition MPs would also be granted a conscience vote.

Mr Andrews hopes the debate will demonstrate the Victorian parliament “at its best”.

“It is my expectation that this be a respectful debate, that this be a debate of patience and grace, a debate of inclusion, a debate of diverse views but common conduct,” the Labor leader said.

A cross-party parliamentary committee in June called for limited voluntary euthanasia to be introduced in Victoria.

The Australian Medical Association opposes the move and wants an “opt-out” option for doctors if legislation is passed so practitioners who morally object aren’t forced to help patients die.

However, Victorian branch president Lorraine Baker this week acknowledged community attitudes on assisted dying had changed and she said the AMA wanted to be involved in the development of any bill.

Watching my mother slowly dying of cancer was the most painful experience of my life. I'm still unsure about this as the patients would have to administrate the lethal does themselves ?

2 hours ago, Butter9 said:

Watching my mother slowly dying of cancer was the most painful experience of my life. I'm still unsure about this as the patients would have to administrate the lethal does themselves ?

Butter, same here with my parents.  Just heart-breaking and painful to watch someone suffer so much.  I am not sure of the details either but I think they are working with the AMA to find the best outcome.  I think they are wanting the patient to administrate the dose to stop the family from being blamed or feeling guilt for the rest of their lives.  That is what seems to be their reasoning. 

This is a bold and necessary move. This is 2016. And they are illnesses that are so horrible and cause so much pain that people simply wanna go because the situation is unbearable and in many many cases there is just no positive prognosis. Those people will die anyway. All that is left is a miracle. But how many times has this actually happened? Let people go in dignity if they wish to go. Of course there need to be checks and barriers to prevent misuse. I'm not sure about the "self administrate" part. What about people that can't move anymore? If they can swallow the lethal dose, is that considered self administrate? What about diseases where patients can't swallow anymore?

Since the issue is very much about a patients will, this should be a reminder for people to have a patients decree. It's very important. Have one!!!

And while we are at it, we all know that there are not enough organ donors and for some reason politicians seem to be unable to come up with measures to improve the situation. I think in Austria there is a law that says everyone is an organ donor unless you have made it clear with authorities that you do not wish to donate your organs or certain organs. I guess there is a data base. I don't know how effective this solution is but I like it. To expect people to get their asses up and to register as organ donors is kind off unrealistic. I mean, people hardly get their asses off to go to vote. To turn the situation around and say, okay, you don't want it, that's fine, but you have to let us know.

My mom had a serious fall during this past summer and was placed in nursing facility for a couple of months. She's finally out now and is ok, but it was very sad being there almost everyday and seeing people in the facility who have advanced dementia and different illnesses. A handful weren't able to eat and shit by themselves or even speak.

Like others have already said, it's 2016 and euthanasia should be legalized to help prevent certain patients from unnecessary suffering at the end of their lives.  

Anyway, happy for the possible change in policy in Victoria. Hope the bill goes through.....