Malta the first country in Europe to ban ‘gay cure’ therapy

Gaudet

Malta just became the first country in Europe to ban ‘gay cure’ therapy

malta1.jpg

6th December 2016, 11:36 AM

Malta has made history as the first European country to ban gay conversion therapy.

The island nation passed the bill that will mean any medical professional found guilty of prescribing the so-called ‘gay cure’ therapy could be jailed.

Politicians voted through the Affirmation of Sexual Orientation, Gender Identity, and Gender Expression Bill, labelling gay cure therapy as “deceptive and harmful”.

The new ban will see anyone found guilty fined up to $5,000, or even sent behind bars for up to five years in the most serious cases.

The new ruling will see Malta retain its position as one of the most progressive places in the world for LGBT rights.

Professional bodies welcomed the news, with The Malta Chamber of Psychologists, the Maltese Association of Psychiatry, the Malta Association of Family Therapy and Systemic Practice and the Malta Association for the Counselling Profession all expressing their satisfaction at the bill’s passing.

“[We] openly disapprove of practices are which are harmful to people in our community,’ they said in a statement.

“Not only does it reject a group of individuals on the basis of unfound prejudice and lack of tolerance for diversity, but also because it impinges on the international recognition of LGBTIQ rights.

“As a body we promote respect and equality for all persons, and are determined to continue working towards ensuring our clients can enjoy as safe a therapeutic experience as they deserve.”

The news comes after U.S. Vice President elect Mike Pence tried to row back on his support for the controversial therapy.

Hong kong has also been criticised for refusing to condemn the practice, with social workers reporting that kids are given electric shocks to ‘cure’ them of their sexuality.

Link: http://www.pinknews.co.uk/2016/12/06/malta-just-became-the-first-country-in-europe-to-ban-gay-cure-therapy/

:clap:

Finally,  some wonderful news in the Politics thread. :thumbsup: Congratulations to Malta and let's hope more countries follow their lead.  Surely by now, people realize that people's sexuality can't be reversed and should never try to so call "cure them"    

11 hours ago, jazzyjan said:

Finally,  some wonderful news in the Politics thread. :thumbsup: Congratulations to Malta and let's hope more countries follow their lead.  Surely by now, people realize that people's sexuality can't be reversed and should never try to so call "cure them"    

I love your optimism Jazz :angel: - I am currently contemplating to emigrate over to Malta...

3 hours ago, LVX said:

Unbelievable that they're the first. :blink: But good news anyway!

I think it is because most sane people can't seem to comprehend that it goes on so has not got a lot of attention.  I dont know if it is widespread or not in Europe? Does anyone have any experience with it or know anyone who does? 

• 3 months later...

Malta PM urges Commonwealth countries to ditch Colonial-era anti-gay laws

2Q==

The Prime Minister of Malta has urged Commonwealth countries to throw out their archaic Colonial-era anti-LGBT laws.

Malta’s PM Joseph Muscat was speaking at the Service of Celebration for Commonwealth Day at Westminster Abbey, attended by the Queen and a number of other world leaders.

In his address, Mr Muscat, currently the Chair-in-Office of the Commonwealth, alluded to the high number of Commonwealth countries that continue to enforce penal codes that were introduced under the British Empire and never repealed.

In total 40 out of the 53 Commonwealth member states still criminalise homosexuality – from India to Barbados, Sri Lanka to Tonga.

Speaking about the need for tolerance, Mr Muscat said: “I want to single out the respect for LGBTIQ persons, the lack of it. The remarkable number of our countries [with anti-LGBT laws] is, arguably, a considerable blot on our family of nations’ standing.

“I had conversations and am aware that there are leaders who know that things must change, but are wary of how society will react to their first move.

“To them, I said and I say, that the Commonwealth will be with them to help make their first steps. History, I am sure, will judge them positively when they do so.”

He also issued a warning that “individuals who do not value the dignity of others… stand to fuse into multitudes that make up the mass base of extremist movements”.

In an interview, Ms Muscat elaborated on his comments.

He said: “There is a lot to be done… there are some countries where respect of minorities is not on the level we would like it to be.

“The key is engagement, and understanding, and trying to show that if you do the right thing, it’s never too late.”

Malta has made a number of progressive reforms on LGBT issues in recent years, outlawing ‘gay cure’ therapy and passing progressive reforms for transgender and intersex people.

The country, once seen as conservative, has also wholeheartedly embraced same-sex civil unions, while plans for equal marriage are also under discussion, with Mr Muscat’s support.

http://www.pinknews.co.uk/2017/03/14/malta-pm-urges-commonwealth-countries-to-ditch-colonial-era-anti-gay-laws/

More than a billion people are still living under British anti-gay laws

2Q==

http://www.pinknews.co.uk/2016/10/20/more-than-a-billion-people-are-still-living-under-british-anti-gay-laws/