MadonnaNation.com Forums
Ciccone's Cheeks

Ms biggest career mistakes, missed opportunities etc..

1 minute ago, material_boy said:

I never said that I didn't want her to release "Oh Father" as a single or that I was disappointed that she did a video for "I Want You." These are two of my all-time favorite songs and videos -- "I Want You" is a strong contender for my favorite song, by anyone, ever. (I am still, 20 years later, disappointed that she didn't do a full trip hop album in 1995.) I was just using these examples to make larger points.

I know.

I guess ROL was her trippy album.

2 minutes ago, dollhouse said:

I know.

I guess ROL was her trippy album.

"ROL" has clear trip hop elements (especially its percussion), but it's more ambient than anything else. I love it for these, but a full-on trip hop album in 1995? I'd sell my soul to live in a world where that happened.

1 hour ago, TRVC said:

THIS. the entire thread (yes I know it's a discussion board) is all Woulda, coulda, shouldas

Agree. Demo this and demo that.  Argh!  Get over it.  Has anyone ever said, "The Statue of David would be better if his dick was bigger".

No, they haven't!!!

...maybe they should...

I mean, really.  It is kinda small. 

Aside from "Into The Groove" & "Beautiful Stranger" not being released as singles in the U.S, I STILL think that "Oh Father" should have been the 1st single from the 'Like A Prayer' album. Such a strong, powerful, beautiful track. And the video! Everyone knew that "Like A Prayer" would get the attention (and go to #1) after the video came out. In hindsight, after hearing what David Fincher said about "Oh Father", maybe Madonna was right (NOT!).

6 hours ago, Hector said:

The molly remark had no impact. It got minor press for a day. There are literally 1000s of things she has and said done over the years that had more fallout. Some of the weirdo obsessive uptight fans posting in this thread would be better off if they popped a molly and took a few BBC.

Yes,  the only time I now ever hear the Molly remark mentioned in the media is by ex Madonna fans on blogs - the ex fans who think she has not done anything great since Ray of Light and wring their hands and point out every fault she supposedly has.  The General Public would not even remember this.  In fact "Hydrangea Gate"  got more publicity and attention !   The relevance of Madonna - she mumbles under her breath to Andrea Riseborough that she loathes Hydrangeas handed to her by a serial pest and it becomes world wide news. 

3 hours ago, albertogerard said:

Aside from "Into The Groove" & "Beautiful Stranger" not being released as singles in the U.S, I STILL think that "Oh Father" should have been the 1st single from the 'Like A Prayer' album. Such a strong, powerful, beautiful track. And the video! Everyone knew that "Like A Prayer" would get the attention (and go to #1) after the video came out. In hindsight, after hearing what David Fincher said about "Oh Father", maybe Madonna was right (NOT!).

giphy.gif

I love 'Oh Father' but no.

14 hours ago, LHakaLH said:

giphy.gif

I love 'Oh Father' but no.

To explain myself better, "OF" never got the attention it deserved. Yeah, it peaked at #20 (or so) on Airplay BUT, if it had been the FIRST single, from Madonna's 1st "serious" album (with the dark hair and whatnot), this beautiful, gorgeous song with it's powerful chorus and strings, could've ushered the "Like A Prayer" album with a focus on the MUSIC. As it stands, everytime people (fans & critics) think of LAP, the whole Pepsi controversy comes up. Just once I'd like to read an article or review of LAP where that damn soft drink controversy isn't mentioned. Patrick Leonard said that "OF" was the best thing he & Madonna ever did & that he felt that all the controversy over LAP took away from the "magical" music that comprised the whole LAP era. 

How would Pepsi make a commercial out of "Oh Father?" Maybe she could've poured it onto her mother's face to unsew her lips? Now THAT would've been controversial.

4 hours ago, frzndrwnwrld said:

How would Pepsi make a commercial out of "Oh Father?" Maybe she could've poured it onto her mother's face to unsew her lips? Now THAT would've been controversial.

Image result for madonna truth or dare gif

4 hours ago, frzndrwnwrld said:

I know it's all kinds of wrong but:lmao:

19 hours ago, albertogerard said:

To explain myself better, "OF" never got the attention it deserved. Yeah, it peaked at #20 (or so) on Airplay BUT, if it had been the FIRST single, from Madonna's 1st "serious" album (with the dark hair and whatnot), this beautiful, gorgeous song with it's powerful chorus and strings, could've ushered the "Like A Prayer" album with a focus on the MUSIC. As it stands, everytime people (fans & critics) think of LAP, the whole Pepsi controversy comes up. Just once I'd like to read an article or review of LAP where that damn soft drink controversy isn't mentioned. Patrick Leonard said that "OF" was the best thing he & Madonna ever did & that he felt that all the controversy over LAP took away from the "magical" music that comprised the whole LAP era. 

Da Fuq? 

If I never think of the Pepsi controversy when I hear LAP, I highly doubt the casual fan listening to it does either. 

LAP is universally lauded as her signature song and is beloved by 99.9% of the universe. That Pepsi bullshit is a total side note when it comes to the legacy of the song, album, and era. 

58 minutes ago, KalamazooJay said:

Da Fuq? 

If I never think of the Pepsi controversy when I hear LAP, I highly doubt the casual fan listening to it does either. 

LAP is universally lauded as her signature song and is beloved by 99.9% of the universe. That Pepsi bullshit is a total side note when it comes to the legacy of the song, album, and era. 

Yes,  the Pepsi controversy is not an issue with this song.  Like a Prayer is possibly the most loved song of the 80's by any artist and is still considered an epic pop masterpiece by virtually everyone.   It is a timeless classic and when Madonna sang it at the Rebel Heart concerts I attended,  the crowd went crazy and people were in actual awe and singing along with more emotion than I had every seen at any concert in my life.  It transcends any controversy or negative publicity.  

I believe that all artists should follow their instincts and shouldn't regret some minor mistakes. But I think Madonna's worst decision was that she didn't release the American Life video. It was a decision based on fear and was against her "express yourself" and "be fearless" messages. 

Nothing. As a late fan, CT + HC era, I look at nothing from her past a mistakes or career opportunities. One of the reasons I became a fan was reading about the "failure" of some of her projects such as Erotica, Bedtime Stories, and American Life. Those "blemishes" on her discography actually made me more curious into looking deeper into her work, and made me fall in love especially seeing how she doesn't give up despite those "flops" whereas other basics would throw in their towels.

i don´t know how to create a new topic

my question ..do you think she`ll get another monsterhit sometimes!?

its about time...

like a virgin - vogue - music - hung up - (4 minutes!?) ....

On 12/12/2016 at 4:07 PM, Magrat said:

# 4 - 1988 - nothing happening for an entire year at the height of her popularity (Janet and Paula ruled the charts, M could've recorded Heart from the PSB or I'm

Wrong, Janet & Paula were 1989 acts, they ruled charts along with Madonna, at the same time of Like a Prayer.

28 minutes ago, madmex said:

Wrong, Janet & Paula were 1989 acts, they ruled charts along with Madonna, at the same time of Like a Prayer.

Yeah, and also YCD was released in November 1987, partly because Madonna asked for a year off to spend with Sean...Spotlight and some of the other mixes got nice radio play for a few months so...

If you look at her albums release dates it was crazy...83-84-86-87-87...plus 2 movies and 2 tours!

what the hell is the molly gate even about? I've been a fan since 2006 and I don't even remember it, let alone the general public.

On 23/12/2016 at 9:37 PM, WeboGirl said:

Agree. Demo this and demo that.  Argh!  Get over it.  Has anyone ever said, "The Statue of David would be better if his dick was bigger".

No, they haven't!!!

I've always just assumed it'd be much bigger once the juices get flowing ;)

1 hour ago, loowee said:

what the hell is the molly gate even about? I've been a fan since 2006 and I don't even remember it, let alone the general public.

She went out on stage to introduce Avicii at Miami Ultra and asked the crowd if anyone had seen Molly, which is a reference to the drug MDMA or Ecstasy. This was during promo MDNA, so she was also (kinda(?)) Linking it back to the album. She then got into some beef with DJ 'deadmeu5' about it on Twitter.

it was such bullshit and ageist nonsense. gaga and others "promote" drugs in their way all the time and no one cares

4 minutes ago, Real_Madonna said:

She went out on stage to introduce Avicii at Miami Ultra and asked the crowd if anyone had seen Molly, which is a reference to the drug MDMA or Ecstasy. This was during promo MDNA, so she was also (kinda(?)) Linking it back to the album. She then got into some beef with DJ 'deadmeu5' about it on Twitter.

Who's Deadmeu5?

13 minutes ago, Real_Madonna said:

The premiere of the GGW Avicii remix got much more buzz than the molly thing...

The little attention the molly thing got was because of those two djs(Deadmou5 and Paul van dyk i think), accusing her of promoting drug use..

Madonna responded she asked about molly cause her dj friend Cedric Gervais had just released a song called molly...

9 minutes ago, tasteinmen said:

Who's Deadmeu5?

f8b8d4d6-d767-11e4-_880315b.jpg

jayz_mug_celebsuper_72008604.jpg

maxresdefault (5).jpg