The horror of West Papua

Jazzy Jan

This makes me sick and never gets the global attention it should.   As an Australian, I am ashamed of my government for continually crawling to Indonesia and turning a blind eye to what they have done to the people in West Papua.  Genocide happening before our very eyes.  Sickening stuff. 

9 minutes ago, ULIZOS said:

They don't have resources or money so nobody cares. 

True.  It is just horrific.  Plus how weak was the Australian government signing an agreement in 2006 to stay out of Indonesia's international territory disputes.  Weak as water and shameful from our politicians.  Pathetic, spineless and disgusting thing to sign. 

Participants of West Papua rally arrested

Indonesian police violently suppress West Papua independence protest

IMG_4337.jpg?__hstc=143095274.2bd70b9cab

West Papuan protesters clashed with police in the Indonesian capital of Jakarta on Thursday as they made calls for the regions independence.

Organizers claimed that police denied them permissions to protest.

Papua Students Alliance made up the majority of protestors and they chanted “Freedom Papua” despite hundreds of police monitoring the demonstration in which they fired water cannons and dragged men from the crowd into waiting police vans.

“Don't hinder our right to voice our aspirations. Papuans are demanding the truth of our history,” a speaker standing atop a small truck shouted at the crowd.

Indonesia commit gross human right abuses against the native Papuans who have seen their island resources looted and gross demographic changes occur from a Melanesian majority to predominantly Indonesian, specifically colonizers from Java.

The Dutch colonizers of the Indonesian archipelago held onto West Papua when Indonesia became independent after World War II. It became part of Indonesia following a U.N.-supervised referendum in 1969 criticized as undemocratic.

A low-level insurgency has plagued the mineral-rich region, which is ethnically and culturally distinct from much of Indonesia, for years.

The Indonesian government, which for decades had a policy of sending Javanese and other Indonesians to settle in Papua, is now also trying to spur economic development to dampen the separatist movement.

OMG, there's zero news about this in my country! I'm right now working in the newspaper. My job when i work weekends is to surf among hundreds, thousands of news from agencies, and choose the most important to publish them and decide where and how are published. Not one of them is about West Papua. It's a shame. 

Just now, karbatal said:

OMG, there's zero news about this in my country! I'm right now working in the newspaper. My job when i work weekends is to surf among hundreds, thousands of news from agencies, and choose the most important to publish them and decide where and how are published. Not one of them is about West Papua. It's a shame. 

I do the same thing! And this story basically doesn't exist. It probably only gets minimal coverage in Australia  because of proximity and because there are probably some people living in Australia who are of West Papuan descent. 

On 01/12/2016 at 10:53 PM, jazzyjan said:

This makes me sick and never gets the global attention it should.   As an Australian, I am ashamed of my government for continually crawling to Indonesia and turning a blind eye to what they have done to the people in West Papua.  Genocide happening before our very eyes.  Sickening stuff. 

Fucking hell Jan... :wacko: and yes I agree it should receive global attention. This world disgust me more as each day passes by.... :(