Trump / US politics thread 🚽

Guest Pud Whacker

Please read the following with an open mind. He is NOT questioning the intelligence of Clinton supporters. This is from Scott Adams, the creator of the cartoon Dilbert. He's a trained Hypnotist with a backround in psychology. 

-----------------

'' We’re living in one of the most interesting times in human history. We just witnessed reality forking into two separate paths right in front of us.
As regular readers of this blog know, my background in hypnosis and persuasion has erased my belief that some people can see reality for what it is and some cannot. My worldview is that the human brain did not evolve to understand reality on any deep level because we don’t need that ability to survive and reproduce. If your illusion keeps you alive, it’s good enough. And that brings me to today.

The election of Donald Trump to the Presidency of the United States has effectively forked reality into two versions that are running in parallel. Clinton’s supporters believe they are living in a world that is a repeat of 1930s Germany, with Trump playing the part of Adolf Hitler. See this reaction for a typical example.
Meanwhile, the other half of the country believes we elected a highly-capable populist who will “drain the swamp” and bring a business approach to government along with greater prosperity.

So how do you know which reality is the real one? The fast answer is that you can’t know. As I said, the human brain did not evolve to understand reality. But just for fun and education, I’ll tell you the best way dig down to the next layer of truth: Look for the Cognitive Dissonance trigger.

In this case, Clinton supporters were persuaded to believe that Trump is OBVIOUSLY the next coming of Hitler. Or maybe worse because Trump is also rude and sexist. If that version of reality is true, Trump could not have been elected president. But he was. That’s the trigger for cognitive dissonance: two observations that don’t fit together.

How can it simultaneously be true that Trump is OBVIOUSLY the next Hitler while it is also true that half the country didn’t notice? There are at least three ways to explain-away this dissonance. Maybe…

1.  Half the country are sexist, racist monsters too, so they like Trump.
or…
2. Half the country is stupid and can’t identify a Hitler that is right in front of them.
or…
3.   Clinton supporters have been duped into believing something ridiculous about Trump.

Given this set-up, most normal human minds would assume the problem was with other people. That’s how cognitive dissonance works. We like to think we are rational while others are not. So you would expect in this situation that Clinton supporters would enter a type of dream state in which they interpret their reality as being surrounded by racist-sexist-stupid citizens who just elected a genocidal dictator. They have to enter this dream because the only alternative involves believing that they themselves are gullible and deluded. 

Trump supporters have no such trigger for cognitive dissonance in this particular case because their candidate won. Their worldview is consistent...

For further evidence that the anti-Trumpers are living in an illusion, consider that the street protests against Trump fizzled out. That means the illusion of Trump-as-Hitler is already starting to fade. You also see it in the surging stock market and in the sharp uptick in citizen confidence in the economy. 
The Hitler illusion will continue to fade. But for now the citizens of the United States live in two separate realities...''

http://blog.dilbert.com/

11 hours ago, Love Spent said:

Please read the following with an open mind. He is NOT questioning the intelligence of Clinton supporters. This is from Scott Adams, the creator of the cartoon Dilbert. He's a trained Hypnotist with a backround in psychology. 

-----------------

'' We’re living in one of the most interesting times in human history. We just witnessed reality forking into two separate paths right in front of us.
As regular readers of this blog know, my background in hypnosis and persuasion has erased my belief that some people can see reality for what it is and some cannot. My worldview is that the human brain did not evolve to understand reality on any deep level because we don’t need that ability to survive and reproduce. If your illusion keeps you alive, it’s good enough. And that brings me to today.

The election of Donald Trump to the Presidency of the United States has effectively forked reality into two versions that are running in parallel. Clinton’s supporters believe they are living in a world that is a repeat of 1930s Germany, with Trump playing the part of Adolf Hitler. See this reaction for a typical example.
Meanwhile, the other half of the country believes we elected a highly-capable populist who will “drain the swamp” and bring a business approach to government along with greater prosperity.

So how do you know which reality is the real one? The fast answer is that you can’t know. As I said, the human brain did not evolve to understand reality. But just for fun and education, I’ll tell you the best way dig down to the next layer of truth: Look for the Cognitive Dissonance trigger.

In this case, Clinton supporters were persuaded to believe that Trump is OBVIOUSLY the next coming of Hitler. Or maybe worse because Trump is also rude and sexist. If that version of reality is true, Trump could not have been elected president. But he was. That’s the trigger for cognitive dissonance: two observations that don’t fit together.

How can it simultaneously be true that Trump is OBVIOUSLY the next Hitler while it is also true that half the country didn’t notice? There are at least three ways to explain-away this dissonance. Maybe…

or…
2. Half the country is stupid and can’t identify a Hitler that is right in front of them.
or…
3.   Clinton supporters have been duped into believing something ridiculous about Trump.

Given this set-up, most normal human minds would assume the problem was with other people. That’s how cognitive dissonance works. We like to think we are rational while others are not. So you would expect in this situation that Clinton supporters would enter a type of dream state in which they interpret their reality as being surrounded by racist-sexist-stupid citizens who just elected a genocidal dictator. They have to enter this dream because the only alternative involves believing that they themselves are gullible and deluded. 

Trump supporters have no such trigger for cognitive dissonance in this particular case because their candidate won. Their worldview is consistent...

For further evidence that the anti-Trumpers are living in an illusion, consider that the street protests against Trump fizzled out. That means the illusion of Trump-as-Hitler is already starting to fade. You also see it in the surging stock market and in the sharp uptick in citizen confidence in the economy. 
The Hitler illusion will continue to fade. But for now the citizens of the United States live in two separate realities...''

When Trump became President, the number of hate crimes and hate speech incidents increased against minorities. That is a fact. While I don't think we can accuse him of genocide, I have no interest in allowing it to get that far. Also, the stock market is surging because investors know the GOP controls the government come January and will deregulate Wall Street back to pre-2008 days. That has nothing to do with feeding any illusion or reinforcing the fact that Trump voters are not in their own reality.

Personally, I think those that lack the ability to critically think are the ones living in a bubble and typically, they watch Fox News. I am willing to admit that I live in a blue bubble but I know a racist when I see one.

12 hours ago, Love Spent said:

-----------------

or…
or…

Never heard such bs since the day they announced Trump was running for president. 

Firs off, cognitive distortion shouldn't be applied to the so called Clinton supporters but actually in the case of Trumps it should be applied to Trump himself, some members of his cabinets and a vast majority of his supporters.

The biggest cognitive distortion that man has ever struggled with is to accept all men (and yes women as well) are equal. But go tell that to Trump and his average voter.

Comparing Trump to Hitler works only on certain levels; ultimately Hitler used Jews as scapegoats for Germany's problems.. Trump and his supporters are using immigrants as scapegoats. 

Moreover, people didn't stop protesting Trump. I wouldn't want to be him when entering the White House in January with thousands of protesters in Washington DC .The media is still reporting his whereabouts with a critical eye. So people are still not happy with him as president.

Indeed there are two realities but that's got nothing to do with Trump or Clinton. It's all down to personal choice and how we choose to lead our life. As it was specified people who voted for Trump because they genuinely believed he was going to clean the government from the swamp are going to be disappointed; you're not going to get rid of the elite by voting for the elite. And people who voted for Trump because they're racist, bigots, sexists, backward, etc.. will be feeling entitled to those sentiments because their president and his associates think just like them. 

Now go analyse that, Sigmoid Freud. :lmao:

8 hours ago, Love Spent said:

-----------------

or…
or…

Long winded condescending bullshit.

The racist, sexist, stupid citizens were always there. Their CHOSEN (well elected yes, but not by the people) dictator has just given them "the ok" to express it more openly and without consequence. See, that's partially what this is all about....remember THEY'RE the ones that have been discriminated against the last 8 years because their "values" are "under attack". Their dictator is supported by the KKK....enough said. I know not EVERY Trump supporter fits into that category but by voting for him they are damn well condoning that behavior. No matter what side of the fence you're on, if you can't see this, then YOU are the one in the dream state. As Nightshade pointed out, hate crimes have been on the rise. Trump voters can pat themselves on the back for lending a helping hand towards that! 

Times Square when Obama won in '08:

Times Square after Trump elected in '16:

ENOUGH SAID!

AND HERE WE ARE ONE MONTH AND 2.7 MILLION POPULAR VOTES LATER......THE MESSAGE REALLY COULDN'T BE CLEARER.

Speaking of interesting feedback, seems as though Trump doesn't need any feedback from anyone because he's "smart"......why would a man completely inexperienced in politics need daily intelligence briefings?

http://abcnews.go.com/Politics/trump-daily-intelligence-briefings-thing-day/story?id=44122887

Between this and the recent CIA determination, I'm just feeling safer every day! I'll never forget his very REAL reaction at one of the debates when Hillary called him a "puppet" for Putin. THAT PISSED. HIM. OFF! I feel like more than anything she said that evening, that really hit him in the balls good. Why?? Because it's the fucking truth and he knows it. I'm certainly not saying he's conspiring with Putin in any way, but Trump is putty in Putin's hands. There's a reason why Russia didn't want Hillary to win.....because she's not easily manipulated and they know that. She's too smart. Trump on the other hand?? It's like a 2 year old playing on a busy freeway at rush hour. All we can do is pray they don't get hit!

1 hour ago, Love Spent said:

I've never watch Fox news before but yesterday I saw the 30 min interview that the ABC article referenced.  

I'll be first to admit it was a terrible interview. The host seemed fair, incredulous at times at Trump's responses.  Hell maybe it was a 'bad edit' but that seems unlikely. Trump's answers were a bit disjointed and hard to follow. As though we were walking into the middle of a conversation and missed a fair amount of what was discussed.

He's right about one thing though. I'm sure Air Force One is a step down from the plane he owns. Well, maybe he wont buy a new one and taxpayers will be spared footing that billion + dollar bill from Boeing.

How is a Boeing 747 a step down from that old 757 he owns? In addition to that Air Force One has a whole different job to fulfill than a normal private plane does. You can't govern from a normal plane and don't even get me started on the defense tools built into Air Force One. Such things don't come cheap. But I guess he did not consult with any expert before he went on a twitter rant. And cancel the order? He sure can do that but at some point a new one will be built by Boeing anyway. What's the alternative? The only plane maker to built such a plane is Airbus. But the plane for the POTUS built by a European company? Not a great picture to strengthen the confidence in U.S. companies.

And I wonder if he still wants to reverse the U.S. / Iran deal considering Iran just ordered several airplanes worth a few billion dollars from Boeing.

Of course he'll get a new plane. The reason it would be a 'downgrade' is because his plane had gold plating everywhere. His typical extravagance. They couldn't break security protocols for the reasons you stated.  

His tweet was probably to put pressure on Boeing to lower the price. His tweet was correct in stating it will cost 4 billion dollars.  The mainstream media is floating the price of 170 million but what they fail to say is that price only covers phase 1 for ' research and development'. The end price will still be 4 billion.

I'm confident they will negotiate a better deal without compromising safety etc.

11 hours ago, Kurt420 said:

The racist, sexist, stupid citizens were always there. Their CHOSEN (well elected yes, but not by the people) dictator has just given them "the ok" to express it more openly and without consequence. See, that's partially what this is all about....remember THEY'RE the ones that have been discriminated against the last 8 years because their "values" are "under attack". Their dictator is supported by the KKK....enough said. I know not EVERY Trump supporter fits into that category but by voting for him they are damn well condoning that behavior. No matter what side of the fence you're on, if you can't see this, then YOU are the one in the dream state. As Nightshade pointed out, hate crimes have been on the rise. Trump voters can pat themselves on the back for lending a helping hand towards that! 

This. 

Very well said... you can't sit on the fence on this one. Either they condone it or they denounce it.. People who voted for him knew very well how sexist and racist he's been throughout his campaign. 

45 minutes ago, Love Spent said:

Of course he'll get a new plane. The reason it would be a 'downgrade' is because his plane had gold plating everywhere. His typical extravagance. They couldn't break security protocols for the reasons you stated.  

His tweet was probably to put pressure on Boeing to lower the price. His tweet was correct in stating it will cost 4 billion dollars.  The mainstream media is floating the price of 170 million but what they fail to say is that price only covers phase 1 for ' research and development'. The end price will still be 4 billion.

I'm confident they will negotiate a better deal without compromising safety etc.

The majority of people or at least people with taste would consider getting rid of all the gold a huge upgrade. It's the very same problems with his buildings or his very own apartment. It screams 80s decadence and even back then it was of very poor taste. Now it just looks horribly dated and old fashioned. Louis XVI furniture in an apartment with relatively low ceilings. To make things even worse, put mirrors on the ceiling to create the illusion of higher ceilings. It basically looks like a brothel in New Jersey.

And Boeing said they only have a contract of 170 million. Nowhere did Boeing give the impression that this would be the final price tag. Frankly, it should be common sense that 170 million are not enough to build a new Air Force One. I even think the list price for a normal airplane of this size is higher than that. Anyway, I have yet to see an official that confirms the 4 billion number. Trumps track record of stating correct information is so bad that nothing he says should be taken seriously unless it has been confirmed by an independent source. 

And better deal? You know this is a military project and with all military projects there is no fixed amount to produce and deliver something. Usually those projects are in development for many years with hundreds of new requirements and alterations to get state of the art hard- and software. And the costs rise and rise and rise. Do we like that? No. But the amount of companies to built certain things are limited, it's basically a monopoly. A situation that was created over the last 70 years for many reasons. I question the leverage he has to get a better deal considering the circumstances. Cancel deals? Nice idea. The Republicans in Congress will throw him under the bus as fast as they can once the companies with defense contracts call in a favor for financing their campaigns and making them members of congress. Trump has still not understood that the POTUS is not as powerful as he thinks.

54 minutes ago, Raider of the lost Ark said:

The majority of people or at least people with taste would consider getting rid of all the gold a huge upgrade. It's the very same problems with his buildings or his very own apartment. It screams 80s decadence and even back then it was of very poor taste. Now it just looks horribly dated and old fashioned. Louis XVI furniture in an apartment with relatively low ceilings. To make things even worse, put mirrors on the ceiling to create the illusion of higher ceilings. It basically looks like a brothel in New Jersey.

And Boeing said they only have a contract of 170 million. Nowhere did Boeing give the impression that this would be the final price tag. Frankly, it should be common sense that 170 million are not enough to build a new Air Force One. I even think the list price for a normal airplane of this size is higher than that. Anyway, I have yet to see an official that confirms the 4 billion number. Trumps track record of stating correct information is so bad that nothing he says should be taken seriously unless it has been confirmed by an independent source. 

And better deal? You know this is a military project and with all military projects there is no fixed amount to produce and deliver something. Usually those projects are in development for many years with hundreds of new requirements and alterations to get state of the art hard- and software. And the costs rise and rise and rise. Do we like that? No. But the amount of companies to built certain things are limited, it's basically a monopoly. A situation that was created over the last 70 years for many reasons. I question the leverage he has to get a better deal considering the circumstances. Cancel deals? Nice idea. The Republicans in Congress will throw him under the bus as fast as they can once the companies with defense contracts call in a favor for financing their campaigns and making them members of congress. Trump has still not understood that the POTUS is not as powerful as he thinks.

This.

14 hours ago, Kurt420 said:

Yes. 

Now that I've had time to digest, think, and analyze the election, this is the exact conclusion I've come too. 

I've fucking had it with people, some in this thread, trying to argue that "not all Trump supporters are racists/misogynistic/bigoted". That they're just "hurting" economically. 

Um. No. 

You chose to look the other way and pretend he didn't marginalize and bully millions of Americans on a daily basis. I don't give a shit about your economic status. That doesn't give you a right to support someone as hateful and as vile as Donald Trump. 

This should have been a moment where we rose up as a country to say "No. We don't stand for this. A man like that doesn't represent our values." 

But no.

Now we're stuck with someone so woefully unfit and unprepared to be president that he makes W look like a genius. Someone who's literally green lighted individuals in this country to openly discriminate and bully. 

I don't want to understand your reasons for voting for a man like that. I want you to be fucking ashamed of yourself. 

2 hours ago, Raider of the lost Ark said:

:rotfl:

14 minutes ago, Hector said:

He sounds like one of my many asshole coworkers.

He sounds like Piss Moron doubting Madonna's rape claim due to lack of police evidence.

The things Trump says make someone like George wanking Bush for example sound like a high ranking intellectual in comparison.

Guest CzarnaWisnia
On 9.12.2016 at 3:53 AM, Kurt420 said:

And if it were 200 years ago I'd be able to own slaves.........why do Republicans always freak out when "tradition" gets threatened?? Some things NEED to change with the times. This is one of those things. The Electoral College is not relevant in this day and age. It's archaic. If that's considered "democracy" then it needs to be "threatened". I could care less why it was created 200 years ago. We have the capability today to count all votes, from every place. Why does it matter what region the most votes come from? It's quite simple......every person that can legally vote in every state votes...add up the total....the candidate with the most votes wins. What's so difficult about this? 

No one with a brain wants a tradition to continue just because it's a tradition (yes, those redneck Trump supporters who hold on to it that way are somehow brainless). Those who want it to continue have reasons for it. Why bring up slavery? Oh, provocation, I get it. Some things do need to change and they do all the time. They sure will now with those circus freaks in power in the US now – « thanks Americans for taking care so well of your own democracy! Such a great example for the world, as you often claim to be! » The popular vote usually coincides with the electoral college vote (only five times has this not been the case : 1824, 1876, 1888, 2000 and 2016). Your jeremiad passes over the reasons why this system was chosen : to prevent majoritarian rule and permanent sovereignty.

« As students of ancient history, the Founders feared the destructive passions of direct democracy, and as recent subjects of an overreaching monarch, they equally feared the rule of an elite unresponsive to the will of the people. The Electoral College was a compromise, neither fully democratic nor aristocratic. (...) America’s presidential election system also was designed to empower the states, not just the American people as an undifferentiated mass. (...) if the president were elected by unfiltered national vote, small and rural states would become irrelevant, and campaigns would spend their time in large, populous districts. »

http://dailysignal.com/2016/11/07/why-the-founders-created-the-electoral-college/

They had the capacity to "count all votes" before as well, because they were aware of the existence of such a thing as « mathematics », you know. Digital technology didn't make it happen. If that choice was made and it was kept going for so long, there ARE reasons, which you may not care about, which is your prerogative, but they don't cease to exist because you choose to blind youself to them.

8 hours ago, Raider of the lost Ark said:

Is there seriously any doubt that the Russians in one way or the other have hacked data? The Russians don't even try to deny it. Just listen to what Russian officials say or not say. They don't say "We didn't do it". They say "There is no proof".

Of course they did something. Funny how they only leaked stuff which would damage Hillary Clinton and Putin always supported Trump..

Besides, Trump always had strong relations with Russia due to his business.