Trump / US politics thread 🚽

Guest Pud Whacker

On 18/11/2016 at 3:28 AM, ULIZOS said:

A present for meakermeak 

I actually agree with what he's saying and I always believed what makes America great is its diversity; so many peeps coming from different parts in the world, with different faiths, different ways of thinking, different cultures... all together making one of the most powerful and influential countries in the planet ( if not the only one I must say). And yes American people have fought for that and I can only see the election of Trump as setback. But I have faith in the American people and ultimately people will come together again under one great nation. 

But im not quite sure about the part where he mentions his neighbors voting for Trump because of their insurance premiums ... I mean are we that selfish, shortsighted and love money and our financial security so much we were going to see only some part of the Donald's campaign and completely disregard the rest simply because it's not going to affect us? You as a candidate can promise me all the money in the world but as soon as you start talking against Muslims, African Americans, Hispanics, women, etc.. pumping up the egos of those nasty racist, bigot peeps who want to bring the mentality of the country back hundreds of years then you lose my vote. That should have been common sense in my opinion.

7 hours ago, MeakMaker said:

I actually agree with what he's saying and I always believed what makes America great is its diversity; so many peeps coming from different parts in the world, with different faiths, different ways of thinking, different cultures... all together making one of the most powerful and influential countries in the planet ( if not the only one I must say). And yes American people have fought for that and I can only see the election of Trump as setback. But I have faith in the American people and ultimately people will come together again under one great nation. 

But im not quite sure about the part where he mentions his neighbors voting for Trump because of their insurance premiums ... I mean are we that selfish, shortsighted and love money and our financial security so much we were going to see only some part of the Donald's campaign and completely disregard the rest simply because it's not going to affect us? You as a candidate can promise me all the money in the world but as soon as you start talking against Muslims, African Americans, Hispanics, women, etc.. pumping up the egos of those nasty racist, bigot peeps who want to bring the mentality of the country back hundreds of years then you lose my vote. That should have been common sense in my opinion.

I think people like you confuse acceptance with tolerance. 

I don't accept Christian ideology, but I tolerate it. People are free to do whatever they want, that doesn't mean I have to accept it. And that most definitely does not mean that they or I have the right to impose my personal beliefs on them. If Christians truly believe that homosexuality is wrong, I tolerate that. Just don't try to take that ideology into the government, which is secular, by law, that's when I'll start kicking an screaming. 

It goes both ways but democrats for whatever reason believe it should only apply to those on the right. We're somehow exempt from having go tolerate others. 

And to prove your point you always find the most batshit crazy person, put them on TV and say "SEE! I told you so! They're all a basket of deplorables!" 

And im NOT justifying racists. I just think it's hilarious that I, as a brown gay man, grew up tolerating the fact that I'm from a racist aggressive ass country and now in 2016 everyone's shocked. Like omg racism is rampant in America, I had no idea! Give me a damn break. America is fucking racist. You're taught from a young age to fill in a bubble that categorizes you by color. It's so ridiculous that there's on bubble for Hispanic who's not white and Hispanic who is white. The entire damn system is racist and you guys are talking about love and hugs. Snap the fuck out of it. 

Damn he's such shit lol. As much as I dread this 'administration' actually can't wait for America to get what it voted for and therefore deserves (even though I know it's not the 'popular vote'). All the trash that worships and voted for him are the most dependent on government. Yet have no idea they're about to basically lose it all! lol That, along w/ all the jobs from the good old days they're never getting back. 'Yet' Trump and his evil team will put *everything that goes wrong or they don't deliver on the 'liberal corrupt media' and his brainwashed cult members will believe them! They truly are 1930s Nazi Germany and Jonestown. Geezus. It's not specifically Trump but mainly Bannon and his funders who are the true evil here. They're trolling and conditioning the country. Really hope there is a true master plan eventually to boot Trump and these awful people in due time. Even if the GOP does that to makes themselves 'look better' for political reasons later on, whatever at this point. Have a feeling that's what this is all about. They simply wanted the presidency/power.

Guest Pud Whacker
14 hours ago, Hector said:

Further proof that NOTHING the NObama's said had any merit, weight or legs...

giphy.gif

When they go low - WE GO EVEN LOWER!!! should be the slogan.

I'm annoyed this stupid Hamilton bullshit is even making waves. It's as if he purposely sent Pence there to distract the morons of this country to cover up the shady garbage regarding his fucked up university, Bannon, and the rest of the horror show he's vetting for his administration. 

Pence isn't an idiot. He knew he was walking into a lions den by going to that show. 

17 minutes ago, Hector said:

:rotfl:at Trump stans trending #BoycottHamilton on twitter today.  

lmao best Tweet Ive seen in ages! Nails it perfectly. Agree though that yet again he's still manipulating the shitty media. This is such a NON  story yet paying $25 million to victims of a fraud when ur the President elect is not :/ I loathe Trump but he's truly showing/ exposing what lame suckers they are. 

1 hour ago, KalamazooJay said:

I'm annoyed this stupid Hamilton bullshit is even making waves. It's as if he purposely sent Pence there to distract the morons of this country to cover up the shady garbage regarding his fucked up university, Bannon, and the rest of the horror show he's vetting for his administration. 

Pence isn't an idiot. He knew he was walking into a lions den by going to that show. 

Yes, it is so obvious. 

http://mobile.nytimes.com/2016/11/20/us/politics/hamilton-cast-mike-pence-donald-trump.html?smid=tw-nytimes&smtyp=cur&referer=https://t.co/5uv057Dacv

‘Hamilton’ Cast’s Appeal to Pence Ignites Showdown With Trump

By PATRICK HEALY

NOVEMBER 19, 2016

13zs9xd.jpg

Donald J. Trump ignited a surprising confrontation on Saturday between his incoming Republican administration and the cast of the Broadway hit “Hamilton,” setting off furious debate over American principles like free speech, respect and the ability to challenge authority in the Trump era.

President-elect Trump demanded an apology from the cast for making an unusual, politically charged appeal from the stage on Friday night to Vice President-elect Mike Pence, who was in the audience, urging him and Mr. Trump to “uphold our American values” and “work on behalf of all of us.”

Mr. Trump, who has stirred bipartisan concern over his habit of attacking those who challenge him, said that the actors had “harassed” Mr. Pence and issued a battle cry to his supporters by saying that the musical’s cast had criticized “our wonderful future VP Mike Pence.”

The clash between the “Hamilton” actors and Mr. Trump captured the sharply divergent feelings of many American voters 11 days after the election: a showdown between the values of multiculturalism on the left, including the racially diverse “Hamilton” cast and the world of entertainment, and the conservative principles of the incoming Trump administration, which was backed strongly by working-class white voters and traditional Republicans.

Mr. Trump framed the cast’s appeal as a violation of “a safe and special place” — borrowing a favored phrase of the left and of campus protesters; it was not clear whether he did so derisively or in earnest.

His maneuver, in two posts to Twitter on Saturday morning, stunned the cast members and, judging by social media, jolted many Americans who are worried about the President-elect’s tolerance for dissent after a campaign in which he was criticized for inflaming racial tensions. But it also touched off reaction among other Americans who treasure the traditions and respect of the office of the presidency, and viewed the statement — and the booing of Mr. Pence by some theatergoers before the performance — as out of line.

Mr. Trump seized the moment to generate sympathy for Mr. Pence by portraying him as under siege by New York City elites who would go so far as to break tradition and make a political statement from the stage. And some artists criticized the “Hamilton” statement: The musician Steven Van Zandt, a bandmate of Bruce Springsteen’s, wrote on Twitter on Saturday: “You don’t single out an audience member and embarrass him from the stage. A terrible precedent to set.”

“Hamilton,” itself a deeply political show about the United States as a nation of immigrants — with black and Hispanic actors playing Washington, Jefferson and other founding fathers — has been celebrated by President Barack Obama, Hillary Clinton and many other Democrats, as well as Republicans including former Vice President Dick Cheney.

The “Hamilton” company learned late Friday that Mr. Pence and his family members would be attending that night’s performance. The show’s creator, Lin-Manuel Miranda, and others discussed the appropriateness of making a statement from the stage and decided to do it only after the show was over. Remarks were written and refined, and after the curtain call Brandon Victor Dixon, who plays Vice President Aaron Burr in the show, took a microphone and pointed toward Mr. Pence.

“You know, we have a guest in the audience this evening — Vice President-elect Pence, I see you walking out but I hope you hear just a few more moments,” Mr. Dixon said from the stage. As some audience members booed, Mr. Dixon hushed them and then added, “Sir, we hope that you will hear us out.”

As Mr. Pence stood by the exit doors, Mr. Dixon said, “We, sir, are the diverse America who are alarmed and anxious that your new administration will not protect us — our planet, our children, our parents — or defend us and uphold our inalienable rights, sir. But we truly hope this show has inspired you to uphold our American values and to work on behalf of all of us. All of us.”

The values and politics championed by the cast are in sharp relief to remarks and actions by Mr. Trump, who has called for deporting undocumented immigrants, declined to forcefully denounce expressions of bigotry among his allies, and so far has appointed only white men to major cabinet positions. He has also pledged to change libel laws and sue news media organizations whose coverage he does not like, and has demonized street protesters who have criticized him.

While Mr. Pence listened to the entreaty inside the Richard Rodgers Theater on Friday and then stepped onto the sidewalk smiling, Mr. Trump took time out of preparing his new cabinet on Saturday to issue a battle cry to his supporters. Around 9 a.m. he wrote two Twitter posts saying the “Hamilton” actors had harassed Mr. Pence and had been “very rude last night to a very good man.”

“Apologize!” Mr. Trump wrote.

Mr. Dixon, who read the statement after playing the nation’s third vice president, quickly replied with a post of his own: “@realDonaldTrump conversation is not harassment sir. And I appreciate @mike_pencefor stopping to listen.”

Mr. Trump lashed out at the show, the most acclaimed Broadway production in years, at a time of demonstrations against his coming presidency. Those include frequent street protests outside Trump Tower along Fifth Avenue in Manhattan, which is less than a mile from the theater showing “Hamilton.” The president-elect has both castigated the protesters and, after being chided for those remarks, praised them for their passion. Advisers, however, say he has been frustrated by the suspicion and hostility that the demonstrators and other Americans continue to hold about his election.

His escalation of the “Hamilton” matter also comes a day after his $25 million settlement of a lawsuit against Trump University, raising the possibility that he is trying to create a distraction amid negative attention to his surrender on a legal case that he had vowed to fight.

Some Republican strategists said they were not surprised that Mr. Trump chose to attack “Hamilton,” noting that the president-elect believed deeply in trying to project strength in the face of any kind of opposition.

“Even though many are unhappy with his election and might show disrespect, his victory is legitimate and he will demand respect for his presidency and those that he chose to serve with him,” said Ed Rollins, a veteran adviser to Ronald Reagan and many other Republicans. “This is how he will govern with strength.”

Newt Gingrich, the former House speaker and a strong Trump supporter, said: “President-elect Trump is signaling that he will fight for his team and his policies. Prime Minister Margaret Thatcher would have approved,” a reference to the former conservative leader in Britain who often tangled with artists and the left.

The statement from the “Hamilton” cast on Friday night was, on one level, a breach of theater protocol: Rarely if ever do actors on stage directly address a member of the audience and throw down a gauntlet like Mr. Dixon and his castmates did. The actors, with guidance from the show’s creators and producers, chose to wait until the show had ended and they had taken their bows before breaking the wall between performers and audience. They did so, they said, because it was such a tense and anxious time for the country, and because they thought they would be remiss in not taking an opportunity to address Mr. Pence directly.

The “Hamilton” moment is the first major collision between the two Americas brought into sharp relief by the Nov. 8 election. Mrs. Clinton, who held a fund-raiser at a “Hamilton” performance this summer, embraced many of the values and views that the cast members described. Mr. Trump, who loves the theater music of Andrew Lloyd Webber and invested in a Broadway play early in his career, otherwise is not in sync with the liberal political outlook of many in the theater world — at least since he adopted sharply more conservative views recently after many years as a socially liberal New Yorker.

The first lady, Michelle Obama, described “Hamilton” as “the best piece of art in any form that I have ever seen in my life,” and President Obama held a fund-raiser at a “Hamilton” performance. Mr. Miranda was an outspoken supporter of Mrs. Clinton’s during the presidential race, saying in July, “Are you going to vote for the guy who wants to build a wall, or for someone who’s building bridges?”

The plea to Mr. Pence was written by Mr. Miranda; the show’s director, Thomas Kail; and the lead producer, Jeffrey Seller, with contributions from cast members, according to Mr. Seller. In an interview after the show, he said he learned “very later that Mr. Pence was coming to the show, and the creative team and cast members quickly reckoned with how to respond.”

“We had to ask ourselves, ‘How do we cope with this?’” Mr. Seller said. “Our cast could barely go on stage the day after the election. The election was painful and crushing to all of us here. We all struggled with what was the appropriate and respectful and proper response. We are honored that Mr. Pence attended the show and we had to use this opportunity to express our feelings.”

Christopher Mele contributed reporting.

1 hour ago, WeboGirl said:

15178965_10158133218040179_358514008993828940_n.jpg

The muslims r not in danger under his presidency, the mess that happen in predominantly Muslim countries against LGBT/women /different religious groups or atheists wont happen in USA.

these guys are overreacting as if America turned taliban :sneaky:

1 hour ago, spazz said:

The muslims r not in danger under his presidency, the mess that happen in predominantly Muslim countries against LGBT/women /different religious groups or atheists wont happen in USA.

these guys are overreacting as if America turned taliban :sneaky:

That's the proof you don't know what you're talking about.

Pence has a history of shooting down ANYTHING to do with equal rights for LGBTQ. I could really care less if Trump or Pence (or any president for that matter) hate gays, Muslims, women etc etc etc with every fiber of their being.......as long as they don't try to infringe on our rights and they treat everyone equally. The unfortunate fact is though that their entire campaign was based on being intolerant of all the aforementioned groups by threatening to deport them, overturning Roe v Wade and marriage equality etc. Those things aren't simply disagreeing with someone's views, it's threatening their civil and human rights. Calling people out on that isn't being intolerant of others views.

24 minutes ago, spazz said:

Explain how the Muslims will not be living in peace when trump party ruling?

I can assure you the rhetoric of the Trump campaign has done ZERO favors for Muslims in this country. They were already demonized but this has taken it to another level. Hate crimes against Muslims have risen. Just hate in general has risen (or been brought to the surface in a major way) in part because of the rhetoric of Trump's campaign. That's opening a dangerous can of worms that can quickly escalate.

2 hours ago, Kurt420 said:

Pence has a history of shooting down ANYTHING to do with equal rights for LGBTQ. I could really care less if Trump or Pence (or any president for that matter) hate gays, Muslims, women etc etc etc with every fiber of their being.......as long as they don't try to infringe on our rights and they treat everyone equally. The unfortunate fact is though that their entire campaign was based on being intolerant of all the aforementioned groups by threatening to deport them, overturning Roe v Wade and marriage equality etc. Those things aren't simply disagreeing with someone's views, it's threatening their civil and human rights. Calling people out on that isn't being intolerant of others views.

Yes. people like Pence are very dangerous as they want to turn back the clock to fit in with their outdated religious beliefs.  They can live their own personal life how they want, but should not be able to dictate to others and change laws to infringe and trample on other's human and civil rights.  

38 minutes ago, Kurt420 said:

I can assure you the rhetoric of the Trump campaign has done ZERO favors for Muslims in this country. They were already demonized but this has taken it to another level. Hate crimes against Muslims have risen. Just hate in general has risen (or been brought to the surface in a major way) in part because of the rhetoric of Trump's campaign. That's opening a dangerous can of worms that can quickly escalate.

That's horrible but muslims in other countries think differently cause Obama policy harmed a lot of Muslims & they hate him.

http://www.broadwayworld.com/article/Trump-Supporter-Shouts-Profanities-And-Interrupts-HAMILTON-In-Chicago-20161120

Trump Supporter Shouts Profanities And Interrupts HAMILTON In Chicago

Nov 20, 2016

As reported by BroadwayWorld, Friday night Vice President-Elect Mike Pence attended a performance of Hamilton on Broadway, where he was met with disdain from audience members. Following the curtain call, the cast of the production addressed Pence directly via a speech made by cast member Brandon Victor Dixon. Despite the fact that the speech was a call for unity and representation, Donald Trump has condemned the cast on Twitter, accusing them of "harassing" Pence, and demanding an apology.

Now, BroadwayWorld has learned that a Trump supporter interrupted the Saturday evening performance of Hamilton in Chicago. An audience member seated in the balcony allegedly shouted "We won! You Lost! Get over it! F*ck you!" during the number "Dear Theodosia."

One Twitter user who attended the show alleges that the audience member also shouted profanities and had an altercation with security before being removed from the auditorium.

One Facebook user wrote "At the end, the performers were crying... so was I. They didn't break characters once. They still sang their hearts out."

We'll continue to follow this story as more information becomes available.

Update: an audience member has exclusively confirmed to BroadwayWorld that the initial disturbance began after the audience member was enraged by the line "immigrants, we get the job done." The majority of the audience cheered that specific line.

Audience members exited the auditorium to retrieve venue staff to remove the disruptive audience member. Our source confirmed that the altercation lasted for at least two numbers and that there was a struggle with security but "he didn't throw punches."

The audience member also informed us that venue staff later said the audience member had been intoxicated.