Trump / US politics thread 🚽

Guest Pud Whacker

@Raider of the lost Ark

50 billion dollars invested in US based start ups, what is wrong with that? Google and Youtube were also small 'start ups' once upon a time. Trump never implied he was trying to improve conditions only in the 'heartland', but all across America.

Let's face it, some of you would shit on any positive outcomes from this administration. It's like some sort of reflex. Very odd. 

I'd love to hear about any 50 billion dollar business investments that have been brokered by the outgoing administration. None come to mind. Go ahead, I'll wait for you to find them.

Trump is FAR from perfect but at some point you have to give this a chance to work. Are you folks just going to be bitter for the next 8 years?

Trump is applauding a Japanese country for investing in the U.S., yet he attacks U.S. companies for investing in other countries. 

I'll be the first to applaud Trump if he actually does something positive for the country. I'm not going to praise him for being the biggest hypocrite in the fucking planet right now. 

^Trump ran on Make AMERICA Great Again. Jobs leaving Japan is their problem.

"Americanism not globalism will be our credo." -Trump.

No hypocrisy there.

23 minutes ago, ULIZOS said:

How in the world is a Japanese company investing in America NOT globalism. He ran on building up American industry, not fomenting globalism when it makes him look good.

IT'S JOBS FOR AMERICANS. At least, I assume so, we'll see.

We're not talking about segregation from the rest of the world, geesh. You're grasping at straws.

50,000 jobs for Americans according to Trump :dead:

Somehow, this Japanese company is going to become one of the biggest employers in the U.S. within a few years thanks to Trump's kick ass negotiation skills :lmao:

51 minutes ago, Love Spent said:

@Raider of the lost Ark

50 billion dollars invested in US based start ups, what is wrong with that? Google and Youtube were also small 'start ups' once upon a time. Trump never implied he was trying to improve conditions only in the 'heartland', but all across America.

Let's face it, some of you would shit on any positive outcomes from this administration. It's like some sort of reflex. Very odd. 

I'd love to hear about any 50 billion dollar business investments that have been brokered by the outgoing administration. None come to mind. Go ahead, I'll wait for you to find them.

Trump is FAR from perfect but at some point you have to give this a chance to work. Are you folks just going to be bitter for the next 8 years?

Nice try. That's why he went after all those rust belt votes that made him president elect. The irony of it all is that those 50 billion dollar investment will go were all the start up investment in tech industries went before. Silicon Valley, San Francisco, New York City. All areas that voted overwhelmingly democrat, areas that are very rich, areas that have well paid jobs and relatively low unemployment. We are talking about businesses the U.S. actually are "great". Those workers in the rust belt will sooner or later realize that there were useful idiots because none of their jobs are coming back. For various reasons.

And there is no time to celebrate yet. There is no actual deal. Just something someone said. There is no actual contract that comes with obligations. But I find it highly alarming that deregulations proposed by Trump were mentioned. I want to know what those deregulations are. But I doubt it's something that strengthens the interests of the American workforce.

2 hours ago, Raider of the lost Ark said:

50 billion? 50.000 jobs? That sounds impressive. Well, until we dig a little bit deeper in the things Mr Son has said or not said. First, it is not known over which period of time "his" company intends to invest. What is known is what he said. And that is that those investments will be done in start up companies and that he is looking forward to the deregulations Trump has proposed. So investment in start ups? The people in the rust belt will be celebrating for all the jobs that are created. Well, not for them actually. SoftBank is a telecommunications and tech company, they have no interest in blue collar work.

But as always, numbers are tricky. But who cares? Who cares about Trumps claim that Boeing charges 4 billion for a new Air Force One when they only have a contract over 170 million. It's just numbers. Give or take a billion. I don't blame him, he is not familiar with those huge numbers, the millionaire Donald Trump

Thanks for a much deeper insight :)

54 minutes ago, ULIZOS said:

Trump is applauding a Japanese country for investing in the U.S., yet he attacks U.S. companies for investing in other countries. 

I'll be the first to applaud Trump if he actually does something positive for the country. I'm not going to praise him for being the biggest hypocrite in the fucking planet right now. 

This!

Meh. The proof is in the pudding. If Trump can create good paying jobs in this country, that's great, but if it was just that easy I am sure a lot of people would've done it. I have a sneaking suspicion that Trump is orchestrating a lot of hype that may never come to materialize. He's trying to enter office with a higher approval rating (he's still below 50% which is horrible for a winning candidate) so he can use whatever political capital he has.

I think he is promising CEOs that he's going to cut corporate taxes a ton (which is likely with a GOP Congress) but if he does that, the deficit is going to explode unless the revenue is made up for elsewhere. He already promised tax breaks for that company in Indiana so they'd keep those other jobs here - it's basically corporate welfare and you can't give away the farm to keep all the jobs here.

4 hours ago, Love Spent said:

@Raider of the lost Ark

This is the first deal of many. My god, the man isn't even sworn in yet. Why assume the start up MUST be based in 'democratic strongholds' like NY or San Francisco. It's a big country. 

And yes I didn't provide a PDF of the entire deal, notary certified by 10 lawyers, I guess  it's never gonna happen. 

I'm still waiting to see links for the billion dollar business investments the Obama admin brokered. Anyone? ......

Your next thread should be how we can all improve the situation in Germany 🇩🇪.

MAKE GERMANY GREAT AGAIN!!

Look, the thing is, I don't mind at all if he is bringing in business. Actually it's part of his job description. It is what countries leaders actually do. Even travel the world to get in contact with investors among other things or showing up at huge fairs. It is no coincidence that Angela Merkel appears at some aviation fair when billion Euro deals are signed with Airbus or that she travels to China when Siemens signed a billion dollar deal to built things there. Did she arrange the deals? No. But she shows the kind of respect that is expected and appreciated. So again, I don't mind Trump bringing in business. What I mind is that this deal gives the wrong impression. The election was very much about bringing jobs back to the U.S. or creating new ones. The focus point was on the rust belt where millions of jobs were lost in steel industries and coal mining. That is the area in the U.S. that is in dire need of help. Not the booming areas that I mentioned, that basically don't need any assistance in creating jobs. And here comes the interesting part: Today on the BBC they had a report about the deal and they said two very interesting things about SoftBank. SoftBank has been looking for better ways to develop technologies for their products. For some reason it does not seem to work in Japan. That's why they bought a UK software company for more than 20 billion dollars this year. They tried to acquire different companies in the U.S. but that failed because of some regulations. That part rings some bells when yesterdays statement clearly mentions  deregulations proposed by Trump. To me that sounds as if this new plan of investment is actually the old plan of investment that fell trough before. It would be interesting to know what those regulations were.

And "Make Germany great again"? First of all, we are very pragmatic people, we are not really emotional. That's why people tend to believe we are cold, rude and lack a sense of humor. But it has one huge advantage: we get things done, better than most countries on this planet. We appreciate and are kind of proud of what we have achieved. But we are not running around playing patriot. We don't have this kind of inferiority complex. Once your country has been humiliated and destroyed completely as the result of your very own doing and you stand up again and rebuilt and see your country flourish again because of the hard work of the people and the willingness to cooperate with other nations, you know you are a great country without feeling the need to declare it all the time. And contrary to the U.S. the very slogan "Make XY great again" would not be successful here. You know, there was once an Austrian that promised to make Germany great again. We know how this ended and therefore react allergic to such ideas. And above all we ask questions. We are called "The land of poets and thinkers" for a reason.

13 hours ago, Love Spent said:

@Raider of the lost Ark

This is the first deal of many. My god, the man isn't even sworn in yet. Why assume the start up MUST be based in 'democratic strongholds' like NY or San Francisco. It's a big country. 

And yes I didn't provide a PDF of the entire deal, notary certified by 10 lawyers, I guess  it's never gonna happen. 

I'm still waiting to see links for the billion dollar business investments the Obama admin brokered. Anyone? ......

Your next thread should be how we can all improve the situation in Germany 🇩🇪.

MAKE GERMANY GREAT AGAIN!!

"In 2014, international firms invested $112 billion in the U.S. economy"

http://ofii.org/sites/default/files/Foreign Direct Investment in the United States 2016 Report.pdf

FDI US.jpg

Here you go, @Love Spent. This is what's happening in the real world. 

Japan Inc warns of global trade contraction under Trump presidency: Reuters poll

orporate Japan is bracing for a rocky ride under incoming U.S. President Donald Trump, a Reuters poll showed, with well over a third of firms seeing a contraction in global trade as concerns about a rise in U.S. protectionism threaten to shatter a fragile economic recovery.

Fully three-quarters of Japanese companies expect no expansion in world trade, highlighting festering anxiety that Trump's fiery protectionist rhetoric during campaigning might turn into growth-sapping policies through his four-year term that begins in January.

Throughout the campaign that led to his upset election win, the Republican president-elect pledged to redraw trade deals to win back American jobs. He has threatened Mexico and China with punitive tariffs that some economists have warned could spark a trade war that could potentially roll back decades of liberalization.

The Reuters Corporate Survey, conducted Nov. 22-Dec. 2, underscored such concerns.

The monthly poll of 531 big and mid-size firms found 40 percent expected global trade to shrink in the medium-term, 4 percent saw full-fledged trade friction, while 32 percent saw no change. Only one quarter predicted global trade will expand under Trump.

That would mark a deterioration in global trade, which has expanded at a modest rate below 3 percent in recent years after bouncing from a plunge in 2009 in the wake of the global financial crisis.

Trump has threatened to ditch the North American Free Trade Agreement, or NAFTA, between the United States, Canada and Mexico, arguing the agreement has sent U.S. manufacturing jobs to Mexico. He has also said he would withdraw from the Trans-Pacific Partnership, or TPP, an ambitious Asia-Pacific trade pact linking 12 countries including the United States and Japan.

In written responses, companies voiced concerns about the fate of TPP, NAFTA and Mexico, where Japanese automakers have plants, and how a waning American presence could pave the way for China to wield more influence worldwide.

"Reversal of free trade is a concern for our business, but what's more worrying is a weaker U.S. military presence in East Asia, which could embolden China to take control of the power vacuum in the region," wrote a manager at an electrical machinery company.

Trump "has declared exiting TPP and pushing bilateral trade pacts, and I'm worried about a shift in (global) trade regime towards one led by China," wrote a manager at a chemicals firm.

Managers answered on condition of anonymity in the survey, which was conducted for Reuters by Nikkei Research. Around 250 answered questions on the impact of a Trump presidency.

The uncertainty around Trump's trade policies adds to the risks for Japan's economy, which is struggling to mount a sustainable recovery amid slow global demand and sluggish domestic consumption.

UNPREDICTABLE

The survey found that three-quarters of Japanese companies saw no change in their investment stance towards U.S., while 14 percent said it would wane and the remaining 11 percent saw it growing.

Previous Reuters surveys taken during the election campaign had shown a majority of firms believed Trump would be bad for business in the United States, and that Japanese corporate appetite for investing in the U.S. would wane.

"Expectation is rising that Trump will adopt business-friendly steps such as infrastructure investment, tax cuts and deregulation," said Hidenobu Tokuda, senior economist at Mizuho Research Institute, who reviewed the survey results. "That said, companies remain cautious about what he says and does, which is all uncertain and utterly unpredictable."

The survey also found that companies worried both about a strong yen and a weak yen under a Trump presidency, suggesting there's no consensus on what sort of currency changes are in store.

The yen has nearly reversed all of this year's gains since the U.S. election - easing concerns about Japan's export-reliant economy - on expectations that Trump's proposed reflationary economic policies would push up U.S. interest rates.

Sixty-two percent said the dollar would move in a 100-110 yen range next year - slightly stronger than around a 111-114 yen range seen during the survey period. Just 27 percent saw it in the 110-120 yen and 2 percent said it would weaken beyond 120 yen. Eight percent saw it strengthening to the 90-100 yen range.