Trump / US politics thread đźš˝

Guest Pud Whacker

http://m.huffpost.com/us/entry/us_58346cd9e4b030997bc1524f?

Pick Any LGBTQ Rights Issue. Jeff Sessions Has Voted Against It.

Donald Trump’s attorney general pick opposed same-sex marriage, LGBTQ job protections and repealing “don’t ask, don’t tell.”

6 hours ago | Updated 5 hours ago

i55hrs.jpg

If Sen. Jeff Sessions (R-Ala.) becomes U.S. attorney general, it won’t bode well for the lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender community

Jennifer Bendery, White House and Congressional Reporter, The Huffington Post

WASHINGTON ― He claimed he supported LGBTQ rights on the campaign trail, but President-elect Donald Trump just tapped one of the most anti-gay politicians in Washington to be the nation’s next top lawyer.

Sen. Jeff Sessions (R-Ala.), whom Trump announced last week as his choice for U.S. attorney general, has consistently opposed pro-LGBTQ legislation throughout his 20 years in Congress.

He voted in support of a constitutional ban on same-sex marriage, against taking up a bill providing workplace discrimination protections for LGBTQ people, against repealing the military’s “don’t ask, don’t tell” policy, and ― two times ― against expanding the definition of hate crimes to include attacks on people because of their sexual orientation and gender identity.

In 2014, a year after the Supreme Court struck down part of the now-defunct Defense of Marriage Act, Sessions co-sponsored a bill that would allow the state definition of marriage to supersede the federal definition.

Sessions is currently co-sponsoring the First Amendment Defense Act, an extreme measure that would allow any taxpayer-funded organization to ignore laws that conflict with its religious beliefs about marriage. It opens the door to all kinds of discrimination against LGBTQ people. A state-contracted counselor, for example, could deny services to a lesbian mom. Taxpayer-funded adoption agencies could refuse to place children with same-sex married couples. Government employees could decline to file official forms for gay couples (see: Kim Davis, who went to jail for doing this). 

The Human Rights Campaign keeps an annual scorecard of how lawmakers fare on LGBTQ issues. Sessions’ score, year after year: zero.

His record on civil rights is equally dismal. In addition to opposing the reauthorization of the Violence Against Women Act, he was rejected for a federal judgeship in 1986 over allegations that he called a black attorney “boy,” suggested a white lawyer working for black clients was a race traitor and joked that the only issue he had with members of the Ku Klux Klan was their drug use.

“It is deeply disturbing that Jeff Sessions, who has such clear animus against so many Americans ― including the LGBTQ community, women and people of color ― could be charged with running the very system of justice designed to protect them,” said Chad Griffin, the president of Human Rights Campaign.

Sessions still has to be confirmed by the Senate. But his party controls the chamber and his current colleagues will be voting on his nomination, so he’s got a strong chance of making it through.

His immediate business as attorney general would include taking over the Justice Department’s lawsuit against North Carolina’s anti-LGBTQ law, HB 2, which bars transgender people from using public bathrooms that match their gender identity.

Trump originally opposed that law, but he changed his mind in April and said states have a right to pass whatever law they want.

Well Trump voters, I hope you get what you want! So much for Trump bringing "the revolution" and changing up the "status quo" Every single fucking name that has been mentioned are not only "status quo" politicians, but fucking VILE, bottom of the barrel! I hope you guys are proud of yourselves. :clap::clap: I'd like to send a personal thank you to all of you that voted for him. Thanks for stomping all over my rights! :clap:

But hey, the good news is, I'm sure he knows how to responsibly send his emails. Thank God for that right!! :clap:

Thank you again! :clap::clap:

6 hours ago, WeboGirl said:

Exactly.  He had been exploiting the system for years already.  These people who got ripped off from Trump University needed the money.

I guess I just have to accept he's a douchebag... nothing new there.

Guest CzarnaWisnia
7 hours ago, Kurt420 said:

Well Trump voters, I hope you get what you want! So much for Trump bringing "the revolution" and changing up the "status quo" Every single fucking name that has been mentioned are not only "status quo" politicians, but fucking VILE, bottom of the barrel! I hope you guys are proud of yourselves. :clap::clap: I'd like to send a personal thank you to all of you that voted for him. Thanks for stomping all over my rights! :clap:

But hey, the good news is, I'm sure he knows how to responsibly send his emails. Thank God for that right!! :clap:

are you being ironic?

8 hours ago, ULIZOS said:

He's backed off on literally every single issue and promise he made during his campaign. I'm not really worried anymore. 

9 hours ago, FreeMySoul said:

Trump supporters have the most to lose in all this they are already seeing many of his campaign promises broken 

c91bcef66789c9a850fb639e06b1b9542b0d7ae3

M8Q3l.gif

10 hours ago, ULIZOS said:

He's backed off on literally every single issue and promise he made during his campaign. I'm not really worried anymore. 

I never felt he cared about anything he was saying or would stick to any of it but what worries me how unqualified he is and the people he's choosing. Surely they will be the ones stuck doing his job. 

Guest Pud Whacker

are madonna and cher still marching in the streets? 

HES NOT OUR PRESIDENT! HES NOT OUR PRESIDENT!!!

rav berg jr., will you cut the bread tonight at dinner when we get back, im starving!

Just now, Supernatural said:

I never felt he cared about anything her was saying or would stick to any of it but what worries me how unqualified he is and the people he's choosing. Surely they will be the ones stuck doing his job. 

But don't forget that there's an entire congress with two chambers that he needs to get things through before making massive changes, and there's a court system to block anything crazy that he (or his cabinet members) may do, regardless of who he nominates. 

And everything that he's promised requires massive debt piled on the country's already massive debt, which is everything that republicans have been supposedly kicking and screaming about for the last decade. Congress is either going to a) block him or b) force him to compromise, and the latter is already happening months before he's even sworn into office. Several republican congress men and women have said they're willing to stand up to Trump if he gets spending happy. 

Just get ready for budget cuts, deregulation, drill baby drill, more deportations (which are already at their highest point in U.S. history and you probably haven't even noticed), and protectionist policies. Nobody in the federal government seems to care about gay marriage or all those rights everyone swears are just days away from disappearing.

And I'm just saying this because it's been 3 weeks of everyone that I know pretending that satan himself is about to take office. 

Guest Pud Whacker
1 minute ago, ULIZOS said:

But don't forget that there's an entire congress with two chambers that he needs to get things through before making massive changes, and there's a court system to block anything crazy that he (or his cabinet members) may do, regardless of who he nominates. 

And everything that he's promised requires massive debt piled on the country's already massive debt, which is everything that republicans have been supposedly kicking and screaming about for the last decade. Congress is either going to a) block him or b) force him to compromise, and the latter is already happening months before he's even sworn into office. Several republican congress men and women have said they're willing to stand up to Trump if he gets spending happy. 

Just get ready for budget cuts, deregulation, drill baby drill, more deportations (which are already at their highest point in U.S. history and you probably haven't even noticed), and protectionist policies. Nobody in the federal government seems to care about gay marriage or all those rights everyone swears are just days away from disappearing.

And I'm just saying this because it's been 3 weeks of everyone that I know pretending that satan himself is about to take office. 

oil drilling? dportations? who cares?

im just waiting for that peso to drop to zero so i can come see you on Mexico City for a FABULOUS vacation!!! :headbang:

More and more and its barely been *2 weeks he's already rapidly kind of selling out, caving, flip flopping or whatever. lol. Looking worse than a typical politician and conforming he's indeed severely mentally off, con man/ full shit! Most of em are at least able to hold out until in/around they're sworn in! lol Still..for the 100th time I'm more concerned w/ who the true Karl Roves/Trumps brain are than Trump himself. He's truly surrounding himself w/ totally shit, bottom of the barrel people. I still think he and his crew doesn't give 2 shits about his voters. They're all about enriching themselves..period! Most def cant wait for his supporters esp the hardcore lunatic ones see he basically DID con the fuck out of them. Best will be when they come out mob style (like they were dying to for Hillary if she won) but come out faster and more furious at Trump himself lol! Hopefully they all destroy their 'own' in that fit of endless rage :D 

1 minute ago, Ciccone's Cheeks said:

More and more and its barely been *2 weeks he's already rapidly kind of selling out, caving, flip flopping or whatever. lol. Looking worse than a typical politician and conforming he's indeed severely mentally off, con man/ full shit! Most of em are at least able to hold out until in/around they're sworn in! lol Still..for the 100th time I'm more concerned w/ who the true Karl Roves/Trumps brain are than Trump himself. He's truly surrounding himself w/ totally shit, bottom of the barrel people. I still think he and his crew doesn't give 2 shits about his voters. They're all about enriching themselves..period! Most def cant wait for his supporters esp the hardcore lunatic ones see he basically DID con the fuck out of them. Best will be when they come out mob style (like they were dying to for Hillary if she won) but come out faster and more furious at Trump himself lol! Hopefully they all destroy their 'own' in that fit of endless rage :D 

Yes I think they will turn on him eventually. I don't think they care about going after Hilary or building a wall, but when they see there is no change to be had (or they are worse off) they will be angry. 

I thought the election was unfair because Trump could say anything he wanted even if it was 100% unrealistic while Hilary, with a life in politics, had to stick to some level of reality. 

12 hours ago, Kurt420 said:

Roe v Wade is at risk of getting reversed, but hey, his emails aren't on a private server.  Thank goodness. 

I want every Trump voter to see how fucked up their lives are going to become. And they will. 

48 minutes ago, Supernatural said:

Yes I think they will turn on him eventually. I don't think they care about going after Hilary or building a wall, but when they see there is no change to be had (or they are worse off) they will be angry. 

I thought the election was unfair because Trump could say anything he wanted even if it was 100% unrealistic while Hilary, with a life in politics, had to stick to some level of reality. 

Yep. I mean every single politician esp. when they're the 'change' candidate like Obama/2008, Reagan/1980, Clinton/1992 but now more than ever due to the country being more divided and angry than ever has a VERY short attention span. Even Trump who many thought was this evil mastermind that people would worship like a dictator, ain't gonna fly in due time. Yes, there will be always be a small amount of bat shit crazy fans like ALL presidents have. But in the US especially people get impatient and fed up super fast if they're not seeing results. Trump and his people are obsessed w/ lying and manipulating but the shit is already getting old and people will turn in mass once the dust from the election fully simmers down. Already is. While it's kind of hard to believe with all the noise but there are a lot of sane, reasonable people who didn't like him but just voted against Hillary. That's probably the majority. If/when he fucks them over nothing he can say or do will matter (again like ANY shitty politician ultimately lol).

26 minutes ago, WeboGirl said:

Roe v Wade is at risk of getting reversed, but hey, his emails aren't on a private server.  Thank goodness. 

I want every Trump voter to see how fucked up their lives are going to become. And they will. 

At the very minimum w/ Roe vs Wade! :/ Again, LOTS if not the majority of his voters are dependent on government in some way and will not be able to get abortions or even basic health care at all. Most if not all of those facilities will be shut down or 100s of miles away in more 'affluent' areas only! Most are uneducated, suckers and simply had NO idea what/who they truly got here. All they heard were hollow promises from a clown with tons of shiny cheap makeup on. When all he had were empty pens behind a jacket lol. Hillary was an awful candidate which is why she didnt win. Not gonna go there anymore because it's tired as hell and now old news. But those who are semi educated overlooked her flaws and focused on her *policies. America is too ADD for that and always gives into the snake oil can salespeople like Trump and Gaga. 

1 hour ago, Pud Whacker said:

are madonna and cher still marching in the streets? 

HES NOT OUR PRESIDENT! HES NOT OUR PRESIDENT!!!

rav berg jr., will you cut the bread tonight at dinner when we get back, im starving!

Go ask Cher on Twitter and Madonna on IG and let us know how they respond! 🚽

2 hours ago, Pud Whacker said:

cher still marching in the streets? 

Maybe Cher is singing her song If I Could Turn Back Time......perhaps sharing fond memories of cashing fat paychecks for performing in Apartheid South Africa's Suncity resort, "courageously defying" the cultural boycott imposed by the United Nations at the time. Such a humanitarian!

:cher:     :think:

Guest Pud Whacker
33 minutes ago, tumbleweedt said:

Maybe Cher is singing her song If I Could Turn Back Time......perhaps sharing fond memories of cashing fat paychecks for performing in Apartheid South Africa's Suncity resort, "courageously defying" the cultural boycott imposed by the United Nations at the time. Such a humanitarian!

:cher:     :think:

:lol:

3 hours ago, Pud Whacker said:

oil drilling? dportations? who cares?

im just waiting for that peso to drop to zero so i can come see you on Mexico City for a FABULOUS vacation!!! :headbang:

It lost nearly half of its value. That means what would've cost you 10 dollars, now costs you 5. It's as if the country just launched a 50% sale on EVERYTHING for Americans overnight. :lmao:

Basically, right now is the time to come.

Guest Pud Whacker
2 minutes ago, ULIZOS said:

It lost nearly half of its value. That means what would've cost you 10 dollars, now costs you 5. It's as if the country just launched a 50% sale on EVERYTHING for Americans overnight. :lmao:

Basically, right now is the time to come.

I'm coming soon!!! Waiting for the 75% off sale!!!

---

@Hector 

and I tweeted Cher but she hasn't replied. She's busy luxuriating in her show palace by the sea!! 

I'll ask Madonna when she posts next on Instagram. :headbang:

13 minutes ago, Pud Whacker said:

I'm coming soon!!! Waiting for the 75% off sale!!!

---

@Hector 

and I tweeted Cher but she hasn't replied. She's busy luxuriating in her show palace by the sea!! 

I'll ask Madonna when she posts next on Instagram. :headbang:

Perhaps Political Guiding Light Cher is preparing for more private gigs for her friend Suleyman Kerimov, the Russian billionaire oligarch and Putin confidante - hello Panama Papers - representing the Republic of Dagestan in the Russian parliament. 

Guest Pud Whacker
2 minutes ago, tumbleweedt said:

Perhaps Political Guiding Light Cher is preparing for more private gigs for her friend Suleyman Kerimov, the Russian oligarch and Putin confidante - hello Panama Papers - representing the Republic of Dagestan in the Russian parliament.

Perhaps. 

She doesn't care. Nobody cares. Madonna's back in the upper east side trying not to blink and move for her mannequin challenge. And Cher is scraping her crusty, mangled feet in Malibu. 

Nobody cares. :cries:

58 minutes ago, Pud Whacker said:

Perhaps. 

She doesn't care. Nobody cares. Madonna's back in the upper east side trying not to blink and move for her mannequin challenge. And Cher is scraping her crusty, mangled feet in Malibu. 

not until he actually pushes the nuclear button, im sure we all care, then.

1 hour ago, Pud Whacker said:

Perhaps. 

:lmao:

Meanwhile Hillary's popular vote count is now over 2 million

Trump names Haley, a foreign policy novice, as envoy to U.N.

By Roberta Rampton and Doina Chiacu

WEST PALM BEACH, Fla./WASHINGTON (Reuters) - Donald Trump on Wednesday named South Carolina Governor Nikki Haley, a former critic who has little foreign policy experience, to be the next U.S. ambassador to the United Nations at a time of uncertainty over America's international role under his presidency.

Haley, one of two women chosen for a job in Trump's Cabinet, is "a proven dealmaker, and we look to be making plenty of deals. She will be a great leader representing us on the world stage," the Republican president-elect said in a statement.

The 44-year-old daughter of Indian immigrants, Haley represents what some Republicans hope could be the new face of their party: a younger, more diverse generation of leaders.

Haley took Trump strongly to task during the presidential campaign over his harsh rhetoric about illegal immigration and for not speaking forcefully enough against white supremacists.

Trump has chosen mostly male conservatives so far for senior positions as he shapes his administration following his victory over Democrat Hillary Clinton in the Nov. 8 election. Trump takes over from President Barack Obama on Jan. 20.

The choice of Haley may be aimed at countering criticism of Trump's divisive comments about immigrants and minorities, as well as accusations of sexism during his election campaign.

Haley led a successful effort last year to remove the Confederate battle flag from the grounds of the South Carolina state capitol after the killing of nine black churchgoers in Charleston. The flag was carried by pro-slavery Confederate forces during the U.S. Civil War and is viewed by many as a racist emblem.

Haley said she had accepted Trump's offer and would remain governor pending her confirmation to the Cabinet-level post by the U.S. Senate.

"When the president believes you have a major contribution to make to the welfare of our nation, and to our nation's standing in the world, that is a calling that is important to heed," she said in a statement.

Haley's job may include reassuring allies worried about some of Trump's campaign rhetoric, including his pledge to build a wall along the U.S.-Mexican border to curb illegal immigration, his promise to review trade agreements and his suggestion that he would push NATO partners to pay more for their own defense.

Trump wants a better relationship with Russia, a permanent member of the U.N. Security Council. He has antagonized China, another major power at the United Nations, with his rhetoric on trade and territorial disputes in the South China Sea.

AMERICA'S ROLE

Trump, a New York real estate magnate who has never held public office, gave few clues about his world view during an extensive interview with The New York Times on Tuesday.

Asked what he sees as America's role in the world, Trump answered: "That's such a big question." When pressed more, he described the Iraq war as a mistake, urged better relations with Russia and called for an end to "that craziness that’s going on in Syria."

One of the five permanent veto-powers on the 15-member Security Council, the United States is also the largest funder of the United Nations, paying more than a quarter of the $8 billion peacekeeping budget and 22 percent of the regular budget.

Trump picked conservatives to lead his national security and law enforcement teams last week, suggesting he plans to make good on his campaign promises to take a hard line on Islamist militancy and curbing illegal immigration

But a relative moderate, former Republican presidential nominee Mitt Romney, is under active consideration to head the State Department, along with other candidates.

Haley would succeed Obama's U.N. envoy, Samantha Power, a foreign policy expert before she took the job. In contrast, Haley, a state lawmaker before becoming governor, has little experience in international relations.

Trump transition team spokesman Jason Miller played up Haley's foreign trade experience as a governor.

“She’s done a fantastic job with the state of South Carolina, in helping to improve the economy. That included a number of overseas trade and business recruitment missions,” he said.

SHARP WORDS FOR TRUMP

Haley was a robust critic of Trump during the early stages of the Republican presidential primary race, including condemning him for not disavowing the support of white supremacist group Ku Klux Klan and one of its former leaders, David Duke.

In a rebuttal to Obama's State of the Union address in January, Haley called for tolerance on immigration and civility in politics, in what some saw as a rebuke of Trump.

"During anxious times, it can be tempting to follow the siren call of the angriest voices," she said. "We must resist that temptation."

She supported Trump rivals Marco Rubio and Ted Cruz, both U.S. senators, in the Republican primary before saying last month she would vote for Trump despite reservations about his character.

Haley also criticized Trump last winter for not releasing his tax returns, prompting him to hit back on Twitter, "The people of South Carolina are embarrassed of Nikki Haley!"

EDUCATION CHOICE

Trump on Wednesday also picked wealthy Republican donor and school choice advocate Betsy DeVos to lead the Education Department, saying she would "break the bureaucracy that is holding our children back."

DeVos, a billionaire former chair of the Michigan Republican Party, has long pushed for a larger role for private education.

As chair of the American Federation for Children advocacy group, she has advocated for vouchers that families can use to send their children to private schools and for the expansion of charter schools.

The National Education Association, the country's largest union, condemned DeVos' nomination. "She has consistently pushed a corporate agenda to privatize, de-professionalize and impose cookie-cutter solutions to public education," said NEA President Lily Eskelsen Garcia.

Trump, who was in Florida for the Thanksgiving break, was expected to announce later on Wednesday that he has chosen Ben Carson to lead the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development.

"After serious discussions with the Trump transition team, I feel that I can make a significant contribution particularly to making our inner cities great for everyone," Carson, a former Republican presidential candidate, wrote on Facebook.

(Additional reporting by Michele Nichols in New York, Susan Heavey in Washington; Writing by Doina Chiacu and Alistair Bell; Editing by Frances Kerry)