Trump / US politics thread 🚽

Guest Pud Whacker

Guest CzarnaWisnia

New Chomsky, lenghty, interview, worth reading :

http://www.truthdig.com/report/item/trump_in_the_white_house_an_interview_with_noam_chomsky_20161114

(...)

According to current information, Trump broke all records in the support he received from white voters, working class and lower middle class, particularly in the $50,000 to $90,000 income range, rural and suburban, primarily those without college education. These groups share the anger throughout the West at the centrist establishment, revealed as well in the unanticipated Brexit vote and the collapse of centrist parties in continental Europe. [Many of] the angry and disaffected are victims of the neoliberal policies of the past generation, the policies described in congressional testimony by Fed chair Alan Greenspan—“St. Alan,” as he was called reverentially by the economics profession and other admirers until the miraculous economy he was supervising crashed in 2007-2008, threatening to bring the whole world economy down with it. As Greenspan explained during his glory days, his successes in economic management were based substantially on “growing worker insecurity.” Intimidated working people would not ask for higher wages, benefits and security, but would be satisfied with the stagnating wages and reduced benefits that signal a healthy economy by neoliberal standards.

Working people, who have been the subjects of these experiments in economic theory, are not particularly happy about the outcome. They are not, for example, overjoyed at the fact that in 2007, at the peak of the neoliberal miracle, real wages for nonsupervisory workers were lower than they had been years earlier, or that real wages for male workers are about at 1960s levels while spectacular gains have gone to the pockets of a very few at the top, disproportionately a fraction of 1%. Not the result of market forces, achievement or merit, but rather of definite policy decisions, matters reviewed carefully by economist Dean Baker in recently published work.

(...)

Exit polls reveal that the passionate support for Trump was inspired primarily by the belief that he represented change, while Clinton was perceived as the candidate who would perpetuate their distress. The “change” that Trump is likely to bring will be harmful or worse, but it is understandable that the consequences are not clear to isolated people in an atomized society lacking the kinds of associations (like unions) that can educate and organize. That is a crucial difference between today’s despair and the generally hopeful attitudes of many working people under much greater economic duress during the Great Depression of the 1930s.

(...)

It’s by no means new. Both political parties have moved to the right during the neoliberal period. Today’s New Democrats are pretty much what used to be called “moderate Republicans.” The “political revolution” that Bernie Sanders called for, rightly, would not have greatly surprised Dwight Eisenhower. The Republicans have moved so far toward a dedication to the wealthy and the corporate sector that they cannot hope to get votes on their actual programs, and have turned to mobilizing sectors of the population that have always been there, but not as an organized coalitional political force: evangelicals, nativists, racists and the victims of the forms of globalization designed to set working people around the world in competition with one another while protecting the privileged and undermining the legal and other measures that provided working people with some protection, and with ways to influence decision-making in the closely linked public and private sectors, notably with effective labor unions.

The consequences have been evident in recent Republican primaries. Every candidate that has emerged from the base—such as [Michele] Bachmann, [Herman] Cain or [Rick] Santorum—has been so extreme that the Republican establishment had to use its ample resources to beat them down. The difference in 2016 is that the establishment failed, much to its chagrin, as we have seen.

Deservedly or not, Clinton represented the policies that were feared and hated, while Trump was seen as the symbol of “change”—change of what kind requires a careful look at his actual proposals, something largely missing in what reached the public. The campaign itself was remarkable in its avoidance of issues, and media commentary generally complied, keeping to the concept that true “objectivity” means reporting accurately what is “within the beltway,” but not venturing beyond.

(...)

Guest Pud Whacker
2 hours ago, svperstar said:

From a historical standpoint it would be very valuable. get to work!

I think so too! Let's get me in there. And call Milo!!!

7 hours ago, pjcowley said:

‘An ape in heels’: WV officials slur Mi* Obama — and say Melania Trump will be ‘refreshing’

Michelle Obama speaks in Phoenix, AZ (Photo: Screen capture)

Two officials in West Virginia have come under fire for sharing racist messages about First Lady Mi* Obama.

According to WSAZ, a message about the current first lady was shared thousands of times after it was posted on Facebook by Clay County Development Corporation Director Pamela Taylor.

“It will be refreshing to have a classy, beautiful, dignified First Lady in the White House,” Taylor wrote. “I’m tired of seeing an ape in heels.”

Clay Mayor Beverly Whaling reportedly praised Taylor’s post, writing, “Just made my day Pam.”

An online petition signed by 1,000 people called for both Taylor and Whaling to be fired.

Clay Town Councilman Jason Hubbard told Charleston Gazette-Mail that the controversy would be addressed at a council meeting on Tuesday.

For Taylor’s part, she insisted to WSAZ that she had already been reprimanded by the Clay County Development Corporation, which is funded by taxpayer money.

Taylor argued that the incident had been turned into a “hate crime against me.”

Watch the video report below from WSAZ, broadcast Nov. 14, 2016.

http://www.rawstory.com/2016/11/an-ape-in-heels-wv-officials-slur-mi*-obama-and-say-melania-trump-will-be-refreshing/

Disgusting racists .

16 hours ago, XXL said:

Like her or not, but Susan mentions a handful of issues everybody should be talking about and not just in terms of US politics

Loved these video clips, thanks for sharing and opening my eyes to a switched-on, articulate and awake person.

16 hours ago, Ciccone's Cheeks said:

I still think Trump is just a troll, clown attention whore who truly got into this for...more attention. Never ever took it seriously like Hillary did. For the 100th time Im way more concerned w/ all the off the chart lunatics he's surrounding himself who are NOT playing, do want the power, and  know exactly what he is. Even Putin almost gave up on Trump went after the Kahns lol  Some of you need to think about if you'd ultimately prefer Pence 'cause that's who everyone is getting is something happens to Trump. You all think Pence would've answered the question about gays, abortion or even Obamacare the same semi tolerant way on 60 minutes last night? :# lol

Pence is Vice President .. what makes you think his ideas are not exactly the same as Trump? Trump doesn't care about all that. All he wants is power.. he doesn't care if he surrounds himself by racist, homophobic, sexist pigs! Let's not forget Trump chose Pence! They're just as bad as each other. 

And please, the 60 minutes interview was a sham. He wasn't being asked anything.. he wasn't proper drilled. Only time he was drilled was during those tv debates and we all saw how that went! He will now try to come across as the tolerant, righteous, caring president. Wait until next year when his ego will be even more pumped up and see if he's going to even give interviews. Trumps administration is already not that keen to give free access to the press. He says the press has been mean to him and distort facts. I say the press called him out and he didn't like that and now that he's president the press will pay the price. Freedom of information my ass! The US has started becoming the nastiest place on earth! Shame!

Telling you Hillarys #s will be equal to the post Brexit 'regret vote'  very, very soon and end up (like when she was SOS) with like 60-70% approval lol The woman is almost instantly beloved whenever she is NOT running for office or already in office. Crazy. She's possibly one of the worst campaigners ever yet once she gets in, shit done to a tee. Thing is, you have to be able connect with people in a sincere emotional way and work ur ass off for it. Those are her biggest weakness. Always was. Can just never ever close the deal. :/. Doesnt mean she isn't excellent w/ the gig. Trump, Obama, Bill and even George regardless of how you felt, all connected w/ people and had talent and charisma. George HW didnt but Reagan had  crazy high approval across party lines

53 minutes ago, MeakMaker said:

Pence is Vice President .. what makes you think his ideas are not exactly the same as Trump. Trump doesn't care about all that. All he wants is power.. he doesn't if he surrounds himself by racist, homophobic, sexist pigs! Let's not forget Trump chose pence! They're just as bad as each other. 

And please, the 60 minutes interview was a sham. He wasn't being asked anything.. he wasn't proper drilled. Only time he was drilled was during those tv debates and we all saw how that went! He will now try to come across as the tolerant, righteous, caring president. Wait until next year when his ego will be even more pumped up and see if he's going to even give interviews. Trumps administration is already not that keen to give free access to the press. He says the press has been mean to him and distort facts. I say the press called him out and he didn't like that and now that he's president the press will pay the price. Freedom of information my ass! The US has started becoming the nastiest place on earth! Shame!

Oh you mean the debates where Hilary was given all the questions, and was able to rehearse her answers in preperation of.... How lady gaga and beyonce her! 

How about Hilary debating without any cheat notes prior to the debates. Bet you the woman would be one big stumbling baffoon like Trump. 

Guest CzarnaWisnia
4 hours ago, Ivy said:

Oh you mean the debates where Hilary was given all the questions, and was able to rehearse her answers in preperation of.... How lady gaga and beyonce her! 

How about Hilary debating without any cheat notes prior to the debates. Bet you the woman would be one big stumbling baffoon like Trump. 

I think it was the primaries debates for which Hill. was fraudulently given the questions beforehand?

4 hours ago, Ivy said:

Typical Trump mindset. Just say something you have no proof of and pretend it's true. In this case you can add pure ignorance. Clinton has never come across as a "stumbling baffoon". The contrary is true. Once she is in full swing she destroys everyone else. If she would be still working as a lawyer she was one of the most successful ones around.

And given questions? Hasn't that Fox anchor just insinuate that Trump was given some questions before the debate on Fox? And that Trump threatened her not to ask particular questions that would make him look bad?

Guest CzarnaWisnia
4 minutes ago, Raider of the lost Ark said:

And given questions? Hasn't that Fox anchor just insinuate that Trump was given some questions before the debate on Fox? And that Trump threatened her not to ask particular questions that would make him look bad?

Why would anyone be surprised at Trump cheating his way into a debate? No one. The fact that Clinton did surprised people because they wrongly thought of her as a moral person.

4 hours ago, Ivy said:

That was an allegation from the democratic primaries, not the general election. 

Your anti Hillary bullshit is growing pretty tiresome. We get you don't like her. Not many of us do. But must you throw in your snide remarks about her with nearly every response? Jesus Christ. 

And if you ARE, at least ensure they're factually accurate statements. 

6 hours ago, Hector said:

There's has been a lot of tension during the campaign as we know, but now the uncertainty has the country in an altered state... There's a thousan scenarios floating around. I know the world is affected by this, but Mexico has been one of the focal points of this hate-campaign-ideology...

2 hours ago, Raider of the lost Ark said:

Typical Trump mindset. Just say something you have no proof of and pretend it's true. In this case you can add pure ignorance. Clinton has never come across as a "stumbling baffoon". The contrary is true. Once she is in full swing she destroys everyone else. If she would be still working as a lawyer she was one of the most successful ones around.

2 hours ago, KalamazooJay said:

That was an allegation from the democratic primaries, not the general election. 

Your anti Hillary bullshit is growing pretty tiresome. We get you don't like her. Not many of us do. But must you throw in your snide remarks about her with nearly every response? Jesus Christ. 

And if you ARE, at least ensure they're factually accurate statements. 

Guys, unfortunately this is the state of society now. Let's blame Hillary Clinton for having a racist, homophobic, sexist, tax dodging lying two faced backward pathetic excuse of a man as US president!  Of course, it's Hillary Clinton to blame. You know it's raining now... it's Hillarys fault! 

Honestly some people are completely losing their human dignity when they try to justify Trump.

Guest Pud Whacker
1 hour ago, madonnamexico said:

There's has been a lot of tension during the campaign as we know, but now the uncertainty has the country in an altered state... There's a thousan scenarios floating around. I know the world is affected by this, but Mexico has been one of the focal points of this hate-campaign-ideology...

well, im coming to Mexico City soon - so STAND BACK BUENOS AIRES!!!

because...you ought to know what youre gonna get in me....

1 hour ago, MeakMaker said:

Guys, unfortunately this is the state of society now. Let's blame Hillary Clinton for having a racist, homophobic, sexist, tax dodging lying two faced backward pathetic excuse of a man as US president!  Of course, it's Hillary Clinton to blame. You know it's raining now... it's Hillarys fault! 

Honestly some people are completely losing their human dignity when they try to justify Trump.

I think most people are just trying to understand what on earth went wrong in the Democrat camp. Or are you going to say "nothing"?

From an outsiders point of view, Hillary was USELESS in those televised debates (granted that's the only campaigning of hers that I (and most people) saw) But who on EARTH thought that standing grinning and silent with that "just let him hang himself" mantra was going to work? I certainly didn't.

43 minutes ago, Pud Whacker said:

well, im coming to Mexico City soon - so STAND BACK BUENOS AIRES!!!

because...you ought to know what youre gonna get in me....

:angel:

Bienvenido welcome to Mexico 🇲🇽 

Guest CzarnaWisnia
1 hour ago, MeakMaker said:

Who are you to declare some of us are losing no less than our human dignity? I think you don't know what you're talking about.

47 minutes ago, CzarnaWisnia said:

Who are you to declare some of us are losing no less than our human dignity? I think you don't know what you're talking about.

Standing by hate is never a nice view. Its no pure coincidence that while half America is in turmoil and hate crimes even amongst kids are becoming more and more common the far right wing is about to take an incredible amount of power this time around. If their beliefs are taken for granted I fear that the individual dignity that every man possesses might be compromised. 

A president being derogatory against women, against other races and on top of it a multimillionaire will never appeal to anyone unless you're exactly like that. And my point is every time I say something about him or his policies people respond with their Hillary theories. Honestly, you are just missing the point. Hillary is out of the picture now! It's the Donald that needs to be discussing. He's the one in power! Hillary has become a boring subject. Stop dragging her out every time I condemn Trumps views and actions. 

1 hour ago, Kim said:

I think most people are just trying to understand what on earth went wrong in the Democrat camp. Or are you going to say "nothing"?

From an outsiders point of view, Hillary was USELESS in those televised debates (granted that's the only campaigning of hers that I (and most people) saw) But who on EARTH thought that standing grinning and silent with that "just let him hang himself" mantra was going to work? I certainly didn't.

But what happened doesn't matter anymore. We can't change it. Blame Hillary, the Democratic Party, Bernie.. whatever or whoever. What's done is done! No point in placing the blame.

But let's not forget the populistic vote that gaveTrump victory is coming from those peeps who have always been racist, always been homophobic, always been anti immigrations, etc... Those people were lying low for many years and now they seem to be out and have a say; be represented and be heard! I am appalled by that! And so should be anyone.. or so I hope anyway.

Guest Pud Whacker

What I've gathered from this election is hate and discrimination is ok as long as you wear a mask of love and cover your tracks. 

17 minutes ago, Pud Whacker said:

What I've gathered from this election is hate and discrimination is ok as long as you wear a mask of love and cover your tracks. 

People with a college degree are incapable of hating and discriminating, right? They learned in college all about privilege and triggers. They could never. 

6 hours ago, Raider of the lost Ark said:

Never say never! :provoke:

12 hours ago, Bitch I'm Christian said:

Loved these video clips, thanks for sharing and opening my eyes to a switched-on, articulate and awake person.

You're welcome