Donald Trump elected U.S. president 🚽

Camacho

Is anyone here truly struggling with this?

I'm a pretty middle of the road thinker, moderate politically, and I'm truly trying to wrap my head around this still. 

The sheer vitriol of his followers is just so astounding to me. It's like I woke up in a different country and everything I ever knew or thought about who we were had been completely thrown out the window. 

21 minutes ago, KalamazooJay said:

Is anyone here truly struggling with this?

I'm a pretty middle of the road thinker, moderate politically, and I'm truly trying to wrap my head around this still. 

The sheer vitriol of his followers is just so astounding to me. It's like I woke up in a different country and everything I ever knew or thought about who we were had been completely thrown out the window. 

Americans have just experienced their Brexit. Yes this world has gone back to the dark ages. People with a hate agenda have been validated! Must be scary to be an impoverished minority in the US now. 

3 hours ago, mnino said:

Yep, this was an election for the Democratic Party to lose given the changing demographics and, boy, did it ever lose... Most of the establishment Dems got there by some sort of Clinton connection (they have been there forever...) and so no one was willing to challenge to coronation of Hillary. It's clear to see now that Sanders would have beat Trump easily in the Rust Belt. Dems picked the wrong candidate, the only one that could have lost to Trump. This election was lost not because more people voted for Trump. They didn't and this graph totally proves that. The election was lost because of the candidate and what she stood for, not her gender.

This commentator has some good insights on why most Democrats didn't vote for Hillary. 

"On the surface, it's astounding that a man who ripped off thousands of people who worked for him became the champion of the regular Joe. But, as Bernie Sanders reiterated (...) , the problem is that people have ceased to see a difference between the parties, particularly on economic issues. I'll briefly cite a few examples. 

Starting out with NAFTA, Bill Clinton forced "free trade" upon the party. I warned multiple times during the election that Trump would make inroads with voters in the Rust Belt unless Democrats made a clean break from corporate trade deals. Around the globe, these deals are a key tool to drive down wages, exploit workers and prosecute global class warfare. But, the current president still serves up the malarkey about the benefits of these deals.
Bill Clinton's broader economic agenda was even more corrosive. During Clinton's so-called "good economy," the decline of organized labor continued. The president, and his secretary of labor, Robert Reich, did very little to arrest the decline.
No Democratic president was more focused on letting business interests off the leash. He gave more power to media companies, triggering consolidation and a powerful wave of concentration of the media into a few hands. The average person, not steeped in policy, understood this every time he or she opened their skyrocketing cable bills.
Hand-in-glove with Wall Street, Clinton got rid of the Glass Steagall Act, which removed the separation between commercial banks, insurers and investment banks, allowing the self-dealing manipulation of mortgages and interest rates and accelerating the shifting of huge wealth into the hands of a few.
Again, the average person, just trying to make ends meet, eventually got the sharpest end of that spear when millions of people lost their homes, jobs and retirement in the thundering collapse known as the Great Recession, which, for many, has been a depression.
There is so much more: A planet dying because for years fossil fuel interests were coddled. Welfare reform. Mass incarceration of people of color, which had both racial and economic consequences. The praise of the Clinton years, and red-faced defense by its leader, was always couched in contrast to the Reagan and two Bush Administrations. Great.
Feeding off the Clinton machine, the Democratic Party has become riddled with lobbyists, billionaires, and hustlers who pocket huge sums of money by running either nonprofit "think tanks" or election-cycle networks, and politicians who, indeed, are focused mostly on reelection. Surrounding the party are extremely well-paid non-profit leaders, who end up defending the status quo.
Chief component of the Clinton machine in recent years, the Clinton Foundation operated somewhat out of sight.
The big donations streaming from anti-union powerhouses like Wal-Mart or big financial entities like Bank of America not only whitewashed the policies of interests directly opposed to what the Democratic Party should stand for, but they also clouded the deeper systemic crisis within the party. We can only address climate change, poverty and global inequality by axing the very system benefiting many of the donors to the Clinton Foundation."
It's too late now and lessons will be learned. Hopefully, the right to vote in this country will not be taken for granted so much. But I do have a hard time with people, especially those living outside the US, that keep labeling this country as racist and bigoted. People, Trump didn't even get the majority of the votes! And I bet that a lot of people voted against her and not for him. Now, if you're a big Hillary fan, this may be hard to understand because you most likely had to turn a blind eye to the many red flags in her past. People do that often. They turn a blind eye to the negative traits of a person when they believe that his or her good traits trump (pun intended) their flaws. 
Hillary fans were willing to lose this election by supporting a very disliked establishment candidate when Americans in general has been voting for change ever since Obama was elected. Obama won against Hillary because he was the candidate of change! He beat her because she was the establishment. If dems did it, then why would the general electoral body not do it? 
I also think it is very disingenuous to paint a misogynistic brush over the election's results. Fathers talking to their daughters and explaining why America still does not have a female president need to be careful in not putting the blame on a constituency that cannot handle a woman in power. That's bull. There are people like that (a lot of them even) but they are the minority, they can't elect presidents. Dems voted for a man instead of woman back in 2008, is the race of person more important than their gender? Dems voted for Obama because they wanted change and not because she was a woman. Hillary's track record and not her gender is what worked against her. 

All true. If Crooked Hillary couldn't galvanise the Democratic vote against Trump, then she certainly couldn't have against anyone else either. Wrong candidate.

Yep. Not only am I not at all surprised the US got Brexit I'm even less surprised (and called it) that the 'regret' is in full force now and building and we still haven't seen anything yet. Just wait until he starts 'governing'! For now though it's all the horrfiying unknown. Only thing they know and will never forget is what they heard/ saw on such a vicious level the last year from him and esp his kkk loving supporters. Things have been peaceful so far but have no doubt the protests will prob. only intensify and not be so peaceful. Again, if this was Hillary there would be angry people but Trump himself would've let it go, went back to grabbing pussies and Trump TV overnight. I still think he was planning on losing and was more focused on that. His supporters would've been pissed but gotten over it and back to semi normalcy very soon. That aint happening here. 

18 minutes ago, Kim said:

All true. If Crooked Hillary couldn't galvanise the Democratic vote against Trump, then she certainly couldn't have against anyone else either. Wrong candidate.

Yep. Pointless and exhausted to even go there anymore. Dems deserve to pay for this for not stopping *Hillary! One of Obamas kids would've destroyed Trump in the election we all know that. Forget about Bernie or Joe. 

Enough with that bullshit "anyone would have easily defeated Trump". He defeated 11 republican candidates. His racist rhetoric brought millions of white rural bigots to the polling places. And Bernie lost to Hillary by 3.7 million votes, how would have he been better than her? You don't know.

10 minutes ago, Moka said:

Enough with that bullshit "anyone would have easily defeated Trump". He defeated 11 republican candidates. His racist rhetoric brought millions of white rural bigots to the polling places. And Bernie lost to Hillary by 3.7 million votes, how would have he been better than her? You don't know.

The fact of the matter is that the Republican vote stayed much the same, it was the Democrat vote that collapsed. Explain.

9 minutes ago, Love Spent said:

@spazz Your PM box is still full. :sneaky: Thought I'd share this with you. :lol:

http://imgur.com/a/4u8I5

Fucking disgusting!

Hilary was the biggest whore of Saudi Arabia.

Her saudis and her terrorists friends are going nuts cause she fall down on her wrinkled ass :rotfl: 

you dont have to PM me this should be public and exposed.

Just now, spazz said:

Fucking disgusting!

Hilary was the biggest whore of Saudi Arabia.

Her saudis and her terrorists friends are going nuts cause she fall down on her wrinkled ass :rotfl: 

you dont have to PM me this should be public and exposed.

Yes, people didn't seem bothered by 20% of Hillary's campaign being funded by a country that still executes gay people.

7 minutes ago, Love Spent said:

Yes, people didn't seem bothered by 20% of Hillary's campaign being funded by a country that still executes gay people.

Gay people 

Abuse women 

spread Wahabism 

wars 

daech

control most of Middle Eastern media

Pettiness and apathy ruined it for Hillary. Fuck all of you blaming her. It was her turn and you said no. So you deserve this monster to roll back everything you fault so hard to put into place.

1 minute ago, Love Spent said:

I'd be happy to vote Democrat, have my entire adult life. Until now.

That's fine. BUT. I will call you out over the next four years every time you should criticize anything the Trump government does and remind you that it was you who made his success possible.

18 minutes ago, Love Spent said:

The candidate.

And guess what? This is why many people in Europe think that most people in America are downright dumb. If you really believe that by voting a president is simply voting for a person than this shows an ignorance of epic proportions. And then please explain why there is all this fuss during the election cycle talking about politics when in the end people simply decide for "the person". Have US elections seriously become a pageant? From my perspective you vote for the candidate that presents the politics you prefer. I don't vote against politics because I don't like the candidate. I vote for certain politics despite the fact that I may not necessarily like the person that presents those politics to me. Those who voted for Trump have voted for his policies. ALL of his policies. Including his racist, misogynist and divisive approach. By voting for Trump you accept that, you support that. There was no "Vote Trump - including building a wall" or "Vote Trump - excluding building a wall" or "Vote Trump - including repeal of Obamacare but without building a wall and without Mike Pence" on the ballot. There was just "Vote Trump".

1 hour ago, Kim said:

The fact of the matter is that the Republican vote stayed much the same, it was the Democrat vote that collapsed. Explain.

Let's be honest : it's easy to blame everything on Hillary (and yes she has her flaws), but there are many other reponsibles for the Trump victory (including Trump himself, the medias, the republicans, Assange, the rural America, the DNC...).

The "Obama coalition" (African-Americans, Latinos...) didn't turn out for Hillary, that's a fact. But how can you know that Bernie would have done better? He couldn't even convince the democrats in the primaries (Hillary won with a margin of 3.7 millions votes).

As I said before, Trump defeated 11 of the best republicans, he hijacked the party and the medias with his rhetoric and storytelling. It's unprecedented in the history of the US. Now if anybody could defeat him, why did Bush, Cruz and Rubio lost in the most humiliating way? Do you really think Trump wouldn't have found devastating angles against Biden, Warren or Sanders like "Crooked Hillary", "Little Marco", "Low energy Jeb"? Do you think the conspiracy websites (that his fans love so much) wouldn't have invented stories about Biden or Sanders healths? Do you think the russians and Assange wouldn't have hacked and leaked damaging things about them?

26 minutes ago, Raider of the lost Ark said:

And guess what? This is why many people in Europe think that most people in America are downright dumb. If you really believe that by voting a president is simply voting for a person than this shows an ignorance of epic proportions. And then please explain why there is all this fuss during the election cycle talking about politics when in the end people simply decide for "the person". Have US elections seriously become a pageant? From my perspective you vote for the candidate that presents the politics you prefer. I don't vote against politics because I don't like the candidate. I vote for certain politics despite the fact that I may not necessarily like the person that presents those politics to me. Those who voted for Trump have voted for his policies. ALL of his policies. Including his racist, misogynist and divisive approach. By voting for Trump you accept that, you support that. There was no "Vote Trump - including building a wall" or "Vote Trump - excluding building a wall" or "Vote Trump - including repeal of Obamacare but without building a wall and without Mike Pence" on the ballot. There was just "Vote Trump".

But you seem to look at every issue through your own eyes instead of stepping back and seeing the bigger picture from the perspective of that particular place/people. This isn't about what you or I would do, or how our political establishments work.

Yes, the US presidential elections have always been largely personality- led, that's just a fact. That's why this race has been Clinton vs Trump as opposed to Dems vs Reps, that's why we were hard pressed to hear ANYONE talking about party politics in that shameful joke of an election campaign. Why every single vox-pop I've seen since the result has been "I voted for Trump because..." or "I voted against Hillary because...."

Clinton as a person (nevermind all the foreign policy stuff in this thread that the average Joe doesn't know or care about) but she as a person.. was deeply divisive and unpopular among the electorate... and they knew it, and did NOTHING to attempt to change that. It's complacency, and that backfires EVERY time.

The question is WHY this has happened, and it's not because America is crawling with crazy racist rednecks; it's because there was an uprising against what people consider to be "the establishment" voting for something/someone/anyone offering something different (not realising of course that they're being fed another big fat LIE in the process) It's the exact same thinking that's spreading across Europe, the exact same thing that caused Brexit, and until people start waking up from the bullshit they're fed, then it will continue unabated. 

Fuck Trump and his entire family

After all the vitriol racist right wingers made against the obamas for 8 years...fuck trump. I'm gonna say it for four years and be the most petty. Not my president.

The trump siblings are all abominations birthed from the ass

Eric Trump has bitch hips

Trump finger fucked all his children

Melania fucks for tracks

I want all their birth certificates. Melania the prozzie should be deported since she worked without a proper visa.

What ELSE?

Oh yeah Tiffany Trump is such a disaster of a person the rest of the family don't even like her. She should run away.

Kim, while much of what you write is certainly true and of course we in Europe have a whole different approach, I don't let them get away with the explanation they voted against the so called establishment or because of the economy. Numbers show that on the Republican side many people have voted for the first time in ages. Overwhelmingly white and from rural areas. I am convinced the votes from those notorious non-voters are based in racism and misogyny. First a black president and now a woman.