Donald Trump elected U.S. president 🚽

Camacho

4 minutes ago, Kim said:

Clinton as a person (nevermind all the foreign policy stuff in this thread that the average Joe doesn't know or care about) but she as a person.. was deeply divisive and unpopular among the electorate...

Well, she was extremely popular when she left the State Department (65%). The real question is : how did she became so unpopular since she declared her candidacy?

Now look at the republican witch hunt committees, the "Clinton Cash" book (paid by republicans), the "crooked" nickname, the "email" madness in the medias, the leaks, the FBI letter... I'm starting to believe that in order to win an election in the US, you have to be the most unsuspected candidate, since your opponents won't have the time to plan a long witch hunt to discredit you. That's what is sad, really.

1 hour ago, Raider of the lost Ark said:

That's fine. BUT. I will call you out over the next four years every time you should criticize anything the Trump government does and remind you that it was you who made his success possible.

:nervous:

6 hours ago, mnino said:

Yep, this was an election for the Democratic Party to lose given the changing demographics and, boy, did it ever lose... Most of the establishment Dems got there by some sort of Clinton connection (they have been there forever...) and so no one was willing to challenge to coronation of Hillary. It's clear to see now that Sanders would have beat Trump easily in the Rust Belt. Dems picked the wrong candidate, the only one that could have lost to Trump. This election was lost not because more people voted for Trump. They didn't and this graph totally proves that. The election was lost because of the candidate and what she stood for, not her gender.

This commentator has some good insights on why most Democrats didn't vote for Hillary. 

"On the surface, it's astounding that a man who ripped off thousands of people who worked for him became the champion of the regular Joe. But, as Bernie Sanders reiterated (...) , the problem is that people have ceased to see a difference between the parties, particularly on economic issues. I'll briefly cite a few examples. 

Starting out with NAFTA, Bill Clinton forced "free trade" upon the party. I warned multiple times during the election that Trump would make inroads with voters in the Rust Belt unless Democrats made a clean break from corporate trade deals. Around the globe, these deals are a key tool to drive down wages, exploit workers and prosecute global class warfare. But, the current president still serves up the malarkey about the benefits of these deals.
Bill Clinton's broader economic agenda was even more corrosive. During Clinton's so-called "good economy," the decline of organized labor continued. The president, and his secretary of labor, Robert Reich, did very little to arrest the decline.
No Democratic president was more focused on letting business interests off the leash. He gave more power to media companies, triggering consolidation and a powerful wave of concentration of the media into a few hands. The average person, not steeped in policy, understood this every time he or she opened their skyrocketing cable bills.
Hand-in-glove with Wall Street, Clinton got rid of the Glass Steagall Act, which removed the separation between commercial banks, insurers and investment banks, allowing the self-dealing manipulation of mortgages and interest rates and accelerating the shifting of huge wealth into the hands of a few.
Again, the average person, just trying to make ends meet, eventually got the sharpest end of that spear when millions of people lost their homes, jobs and retirement in the thundering collapse known as the Great Recession, which, for many, has been a depression.
There is so much more: A planet dying because for years fossil fuel interests were coddled. Welfare reform. Mass incarceration of people of color, which had both racial and economic consequences. The praise of the Clinton years, and red-faced defense by its leader, was always couched in contrast to the Reagan and two Bush Administrations. Great.
Feeding off the Clinton machine, the Democratic Party has become riddled with lobbyists, billionaires, and hustlers who pocket huge sums of money by running either nonprofit "think tanks" or election-cycle networks, and politicians who, indeed, are focused mostly on reelection. Surrounding the party are extremely well-paid non-profit leaders, who end up defending the status quo.
Chief component of the Clinton machine in recent years, the Clinton Foundation operated somewhat out of sight.
The big donations streaming from anti-union powerhouses like Wal-Mart or big financial entities like Bank of America not only whitewashed the policies of interests directly opposed to what the Democratic Party should stand for, but they also clouded the deeper systemic crisis within the party. We can only address climate change, poverty and global inequality by axing the very system benefiting many of the donors to the Clinton Foundation."
It's too late now and lessons will be learned. Hopefully, the right to vote in this country will not be taken for granted so much. But I do have a hard time with people, especially those living outside the US, that keep labeling this country as racist and bigoted. People, Trump didn't even get the majority of the votes! And I bet that a lot of people voted against her and not for him. Now, if you're a big Hillary fan, this may be hard to understand because you most likely had to turn a blind eye to the many red flags in her past. People do that often. They turn a blind eye to the negative traits of a person when they believe that his or her good traits trump (pun intended) their flaws. 
Hillary fans were willing to lose this election by supporting a very disliked establishment candidate when Americans in general has been voting for change ever since Obama was elected. Obama won against Hillary because he was the candidate of change! He beat her because she was the establishment. If dems did it, then why would the general electoral body not do it? 
I also think it is very disingenuous to paint a misogynistic brush over the election's results. Fathers talking to their daughters and explaining why America still does not have a female president need to be careful in not putting the blame on a constituency that cannot handle a woman in power. That's bull. There are people like that (a lot of them even) but they are the minority, they can't elect presidents. Dems voted for a man instead of woman back in 2008, is the race of person more important than their gender? Dems voted for Obama because they wanted change and not because she was a woman. Hillary's track record and not her gender is what worked against her. 

Very good analysis. Worth the read, so I'm quoting in full.

9 minutes ago, Stephen said:

Fuck Trump and his entire family

After all the vitriol racist right wingers made against the obamas for 8 years...fuck trump. I'm gonna say it for four years and be the most petty. Not my president.

The trump siblings are all abominations birthed from the ass

Eric Trump has bitch hips

Trump finger fucked all his children

Melania fucks for tracks

I want all their birth certificates. Melania the prozzie should be deported since she worked without a proper visa.

What ELSE?

Oh yeah Tiffany Trump is such a disaster of a person the rest of the family don't even like her. She should run away.

Preach! 🙌🏼

8 minutes ago, Raider of the lost Ark said:

Kim, while much of what you write is certainly true and of course we in Europe have a whole different approach, I don't let them get away with the explanation they voted against the so called establishment or because of the economy. Numbers show that on the Republican side many people have voted for the first time in ages. Overwhelmingly white and from rural areas. I am convinced the votes from those notorious non-voters are based in racism and misogyny. First a black president and now a woman.

But now you're contradicting yourself by saying people DID just vote for the person rather than the policies.

11 minutes ago, Moka said:

The real question is : how did she became so unpopular since she declared her candidacy?

No, the real question is why the Democrat vote as a whole crashed.

47 minutes ago, Kim said:

But you seem to look at every issue through your own eyes instead of stepping back and seeing the bigger picture from the perspective of that particular place/people. This isn't about what you or I would do, or how our political establishments work.

Yes, the US presidential elections have always been largely personality- led, that's just a fact. That's why this race has been Clinton vs Trump as opposed to Dems vs Reps, that's why we were hard pressed to hear ANYONE talking about party politics in that shameful joke of an election campaign. Why every single vox-pop I've seen since the result has been "I voted for Trump because..." or "I voted against Hillary because...."

Clinton as a person (nevermind all the foreign policy stuff in this thread that the average Joe doesn't know or care about) but she as a person.. was deeply divisive and unpopular among the electorate... and they knew it, and did NOTHING to attempt to change that. It's complacency, and that backfires EVERY time.

The question is WHY this has happened, and it's not because America is crawling with crazy racist rednecks; it's because there was an uprising against what people consider to be "the establishment" voting for something/someone/anyone offering something different (not realising of course that they're being fed another big fat LIE in the process) It's the exact same thinking that's spreading across Europe, the exact same thing that caused Brexit, and until people start waking up from the bullshit they're fed, then it will continue unabated. 

Agree, except for the last sentence: I believe many people deep down suspect / anticipate that the socalled populists will have a difficult time bringing about the changes these voters want. QUESTION: what OTHER option is there besides voting for those demonized "populists", except voting for the business as usual bullshit of established political parties? In other words: in what scenario would "it" NOT continue unabated?

Reports of Anti-LGBTQ Extremists Tapped for Major Roles on President-Elect Trump’s Transition

http://www.hrc.org/blog/reports-of-anti-lgbtq-extremists-tapped-for-major-roles-on-president-elect

I hope all the very enlightened gays that voted for him because Hillary "only came out in support of gay marriage recently" will be happy.

9 minutes ago, impr3ssive_instant said:

Reports of Anti-LGBTQ Extremists Tapped for Major Roles on President-Elect Trump’s Transition

http://www.hrc.org/blog/reports-of-anti-lgbtq-extremists-tapped-for-major-roles-on-president-elect

I hope all the very enlightened gays that voted for him because Hillary "only came out in support of gay marriage recently" will be happy.

Those flop gays who voted for him will regret it. These are the same guys who announce no blacks no asians etc. on their Grindr profiles. 

10 minutes ago, Kim said:

But now you're contradicting yourself by saying people DID just vote for the person rather than the policies.

I don't think I said that. I said that I question the idea that people simply voted for the person (because the argument was made that another democratic candidate might have won the election) and that this would, if really true, show an extreme amount of stupidity because it would reduce the elections to a beauty pageant. If people really only had this one criteria, fine. But voting for someone comes with territory. Once you vote for a certain candidate you also accept or support this candidates policies. Especially when this candidate voiced his policies so loudly. If those policies will be implemented later on, those who voted this person into power shall not be surprised and complain. The same goes for those who did not vote at all. They took themselves out of the democratic process, their vote could have changed the outcome.

1 hour ago, Moka said:

Let's be honest : it's easy to blame everything on Hillary (and yes she has her flaws), but there are many other reponsibles for the Trump victory (including Trump himself, the medias, the republicans, Assange, the rural America, the DNC...).

The "Obama coalition" (African-Americans, Latinos...) didn't turn out for Hillary, that's a fact. But how can you know that Bernie would have done better? He couldn't even convince the democrats in the primaries (Hillary won with a margin of 3.7 millions votes).

As I said before, Trump defeated 11 of the best republicans, he hijacked the party and the medias with his rhetoric and storytelling. It's unprecedented in the history of the US. Now if anybody could defeat him, why did Bush, Cruz and Rubio lost in the most humiliating way? Do you really think Trump wouldn't have found devastating angles against Biden, Warren or Sanders like "Crooked Hillary", "Little Marco", "Low energy Jeb"? Do you think the conspiracy websites (that his fans love so much) wouldn't have invented stories about Biden or Sanders healths? Do you think the russians and Assange wouldn't have hacked and leaked damaging things about them?

Well, Bernie could not have done worse. Let's be honest, Hilary lost an "unloseable" election.

And the only reason why Hilary had 3 million more votes in the primary was because the DNC and cheating delegates got the ball rolling for her. Did you not notice that Bernie was winning the primaries and even in states where he was the clear major winner, the delegates came in, shat all over him, and gave Hilary their votes and got the momentum going for her. And just like the repbulicans you make fun of for voting blindly for trump, you democrats were no different following Hilary like little blind sheep.

FUCK Hilary and her cheating ways. She is a lying and despicable mole and deserved to lose. And even if she was up against Osama Bin Laden, I would still have given my vote to Jill Stein. Hilary and the cheating Democrat's got everything they deserved and wished for. Could not have happend to a more deserving mole.

3 hours ago, Andra said:

web_586115-01-02_big_ce.jpg

See he's doing good so far! I'm actually kinda proud of my government today and that includes Obama. This couldn't have been easy for him.

1 hour ago, Moka said:

Well, she was extremely popular when she left the State Department (65%). The real question is : how did she became so unpopular since she declared her candidacy?

Now look at the republican witch hunt committees, the "Clinton Cash" book (paid by republicans), the "crooked" nickname, the "email" madness in the medias, the leaks, the FBI letter... I'm starting to believe that in order to win an election in the US, you have to be the most unsuspected candidate, since your opponents won't have the time to plan a long witch hunt to discredit you. That's what is sad, really.

Most of these subjects are legitimate issues worthy of investigation. You may not like the intensity and spin (I don't either) of the scrutiny and attacks, but ignoring the existence of HRC's actions on which they are focused and HRC root issues of deceit, fraud, pay for play, is simply not credible. Just as cartoonish as the Trump camp spin that you decry. By the way, both sides fought dirty.

The Clinton scandals go back decades, to Arkansas and beyond. In the end even your analysis leads back to the same conclusion: the Democratic Party machine rolled out the red carpet for THE WRONG CANDIDATE.

Some people have been telling me too that they're extremly sad. My cousin told me last night how students at her college were skipping classes yesterday because everybody felt down. 

Not  personally angry or depressed. Just very concerned about how presidency will effect future policy decisions.

My elderly relatives survived nazi occupations during the fourties, so figure most of us can survive Trump. Lol 

3 minutes ago, Sloane said:

See he's doing good so far! I'm actually kinda proud of my government today and that includes Obama. This couldn't have been easy for him.

Trump looked a bit shaky. Or maybe it was me. I found myself tensing up when he spoke. "High flying assets"? Thought he almost spilled some classified stuff.  :think: Surreal.

2 minutes ago, Ivy said:

And the only reason why Hilary had 3 million more votes in the primary was because the DNC and cheating delegates got the ball rolling for her. Did you not notice that Bernie was winning the primaries and even in states where he was the clear major winner, the delegates came in, shat all over him, and gave Hilary their votes and got the momentum going for her. And just like the repbulicans you make fun of for voting blindly for trump, you democrats were no different following Hilary like little blind sheep.

giphy.gif

Hillary won the popular vote. Even without the superdeleguates she would have won. There was no "DNC cheating" despite the Trump rhetoric about it. The only thing that the DNC leaks showed was that some members of the DNC wanted Hillary to win and wanted to do some things against Bernie (like talking about his religion) but that was never used against him in the campaign.

After all that "Hillary is a liar and a cheater" and "the election is rigged", how ironic is it that Trump was the real dishonest candidate, lying on everything. Now his "muslim ban" and many other promises have disappeared from his website, as well as his attacks against "crooked Hillary" who's suddenly praised by Trump in his speech about her 30 years in public service. And it's the same for the "rigged system". Yeah it was rigged but in his favor : from the FBI to the medias talking 95% of the time about her emails.

melinia has permanent stink eye gunning off everyone cuz she thinks she's better than everyone else

or just too much plastic surgery.\

who was that one woman who had all those shoes??? marcos?

16 minutes ago, Roland Barthes said:

For months have been stalking Melania Trump on social media. She's such a great SNL character :

https://www.facebook.com/pg/MelaniaTrump/videos/?ref=page_internal

https://www.facebook.com/pg/MelaniaTrump/videos/?ref=page_internal

America you have your Marie Antoinette 

So what. The first lady is supposed to look fabulous and that takes money. We're not barbarians :lmao:

8 minutes ago, tumbleweedt said:

Trump looked a bit shaky. Or maybe it was me. I found myself tensing up when he spoke. "High flying assets"? Thought he almost spilled some classified stuff.  :think: Surreal.

I haven't seen the video yet.

50 minutes ago, tumbleweedt said:

Agree, except for the last sentence: I believe many people deep down suspect / anticipate that the socalled populists will have a difficult time bringing about the changes these voters want. QUESTION: what OTHER option is there besides voting for those demonized "populists", except voting for the business as usual bullshit of established political parties? In other words: in what scenario would "it" NOT continue unabated?

Well the only "it" I'm referring to is this (not so) sudden rise in right-wing rhetoric that's managing to establish a foothold in what was once liberal or left wing heartlands. Do people really know that they're being hoodwinked by the very establishment they think they're rallying against as they vote for a "non politician" like Trump in the US or to "take the country back" in the UK? I imagine some do and some don't. In five years time when these people are scratching their heads, will they think back... that there might have been another option? I don't know. I know that some people at least see it for what it is and some don't. This thread itself being a microcosm of that.