BREXIT / British Politics thread

XXL

9 minutes ago, Kim said:

She better sit down, she's looking a little WOBBLY.

First time I have ever seen her show any form of emotion and it was only fear and disappointment.  It has been a disaster for her and she knows it and deserves it.  

17 minutes ago, Jazzy Jan said:

First time I have ever seen her show any form of emotion and it was only fear and disappointment.  It has been a disaster for her and she knows it and deserves it.  

:clap::goodbye:

3 hours ago, Kim said:

Tories nick Angus Robertson's seat. I thought that might happen but what a shame :americanlife:

Angus Robertson will be missed. This country needs more politicians like him. And I absolutely loved him during PMQ. Theresa was shitting her pants whenever he was about to ask her a question. The look on her face :lmao:

While Theresa May resigning would be great in many ways, part of me thinks she should remain PM and be made to deal with the mess she has created. Plus 3 PMs in less than one year, the U.K. Would really be copying a page out of the Australian and Italian book of revolving Prime Ministers.

And now what will happen?  How does the system work in the UK?  Once you have such small majority,  do the Tories keep governing or do they have to look for alliances with small parties to make a government "strong and stable"? Can Corbyn do alliances if May can't,  as it happens in other government systems like Spain? 

2 minutes ago, karbatal said:

And now what will happen?  How does the system work in the UK?  Once you have such small majority,  do the Tories keep governing or do they have to look for alliances with small parties to make a government "strong and stable"? Can Corbyn do alliances if May can't,  as it happens in other government systems like Spain? 

I think if you have the majority to pass laws you don't need a coalition. If you are short of it: you do. If you fail to struck a coalition then according to the Bulgarian constitution the president gives the mandate to form a government to the second biggest party. So I think the logic is similar here: if May has the majority to pass laws in the parliament, she wont probably form a coalition. However for certain laws you need absolute majority (2/3), not simple (1/2) so they ll need to make alliances if  important laws are to be adopted I think.

9 minutes ago, elijah said:

I think if you have the majority to pass laws you don't need a coalition. If you are short of it: you do. If you fail to struck a coalition then according to the Bulgarian constitution the president gives the mandate to form a government to the second biggest party. So I think the logic is similar here: if May has the majority to pass laws in the parliament, she wont probably form a coalition. However for certain laws you need absolute majority (2/3), not simple (1/2) so they ll need to make alliances if  important laws are to be adopted I think.

Well then I understand why this is a disaster.  This stupid woman called for an election to pass all stupid laws regarding brexit and now she doesn't have a majority for certain laws. 

What a mess. 

Why are there so many stupid politicians now? All "saviours" like Corbyn,  Macron or Hillary seem good simply because the other option is the worst.  What's REALLY happening that no big party can offer a good program from a good candidate,  precisely when tensions among citizens rise and rise due to this fucked up capitalism and terror menace?  

There's no single good example in all the world.  There's not a single good politician to admire or set an example! Look at Merkel, the useless stupid woman responsible of this cutting-budget policy, facing another comfortable reelection because the SPD are unable to offer anything at all and immolated themselves doing an absurd big coalition? 

All Hail Jeremy Corbyn.  This man has been ridiculed, totally written off, torn apart brutally by the tabloids but has stood firm in his beliefs.  Seeing young people on the news chant his name out in the streets after this result is music to our ears. 

Image result for jeremy corbyn images

3 hours ago, Kim said:

Those awful Irish DUPs will no doubt back up the Tories if needed. We need the Labour numbers to RISE.

it seems almost certain that the Tories and DUP will combine for enough seats for a majority. If they go into coalition, they'll obviously have to work out which cabinet positions the DUP get. Obviously the Tories don't want to give up major positions, but the DUP will want a chance to do something that matters to them. The Northern Ireland office is traditionally a position no-one wants, it only matters when things are going badly here. Of course, there's been the whole assembly collapse so it's pretty important now. Could the DUP take the NI office, institute Direct Rule, make no attempts to return the Assembly to working order and essentially rule NI singlehandedly, with the closest thing to a check on them being the (disinterested in NI issues) Tories, effectively meaning they can push through any policy they want? Or is that insane conspiracy theorizing?

For those who don't know the DUP let me sum them up. The idea that they are near power in Westminster should worry us all. Here are some things you need to know.

The first of these is that they have strong historical links with Loyalist paramilitary groups. Specifically, the terrorist group Ulster Resistance was founded by a collection of people who went on to be prominent DUP politicians. Peter Robinson, for example, who was DUP leader and Northern Ireland’s first minister until last year, was an active member of Ulster Resistance. The group’s activities included collaborating with other terrorist groups including the Ulster Volunteer Force, to smuggle arms into the UK, such as RPG rocket launchers.

The DUP also fight hard against women’s right to choose to have an abortion, making them the biggest pro-forced pregnancy party in the UK. The results in Northern Ireland are utterly grim for the many women each year who are in need of an abortion.

Despite being climate change deniers, they used their role in government in Northern Ireland to set up a subsidy scheme for biofuels, which gave those who bought into it more money than they had to pay out. 

The DUP have also fought to stop equal marriage, making Northern Ireland the only part of this island without equal relationship rights.

Last year, DUP MP Sammy Wilson was caught up in a scandal when a member of the public said that Northern Ireland ought to “get the ethnics out”, and he appeared to reply “you are absolutely right”. 

I don’t know what the DUP will demand from the Tories in exchange for supporting them – perhaps just more cash for Northern Ireland, which would be no bad thing. But the idea of a government involving the DUP should worry us all, and the failure to ask any questions about their involvement during the BBC’s coverage last night was fairly astonishing.

I don't know what to think now. Brexit was always a clusterfuck, but with Theresa you had a bit of a stability with her having the majority. Now she's gone and shot herself in the foot by calling this election and now no one's running the show. Brexit negotiations start in ten days. god love us all i hope the UK falls to bits

Someone fill me in .....Just like the French election is this another blow to that hate filled nationalist movement we started to see spark up? 

14 minutes ago, Skin said:

Someone fill me in .....Just like the French election is this another blow to that hate filled nationalist movement we started to see spark up? 

In a sense, yes. Europe seems to be winning against the movement, but America is far from out of the woods yet.

3 hours ago, BrendanT1993 said:

it seems almost certain that the Tories and DUP will combine for enough seats for a majority. If they go into coalition, they'll obviously have to work out which cabinet positions the DUP get. Obviously the Tories don't want to give up major positions, but the DUP will want a chance to do something that matters to them. The Northern Ireland office is traditionally a position no-one wants, it only matters when things are going badly here. Of course, there's been the whole assembly collapse so it's pretty important now. Could the DUP take the NI office, institute Direct Rule, make no attempts to return the Assembly to working order and essentially rule NI singlehandedly, with the closest thing to a check on them being the (disinterested in NI issues) Tories, effectively meaning they can push through any policy they want? Or is that insane conspiracy theorizing?

I don't think there will be a formal coalition but they will need the DUP to back them up to get things through parliament. Ironic really that they scare-mongered about the Scots backing up Labour and we end up with these Irish horrors and the Tories conniving together. Like you said, N.I was completely sidelined and not paid any attention to over here and now they are in such a pivotal role. How on earth that party managed to do so well after the shit show they made with that whole fuel for cash thing and their awful right wing policies is baffling.

The only bright spot is that the DUP are keen on the single market. Either way, the public have said NO to May's hard Brexit and she now has zero credibility either here or abroad. Surely she is toast. The Tories have truly fucked this country taking us into all these elections that no one even wanted and all because of power plays within their own ranks.

Anyway, I don't think we can underestimate what happened yesterday. They were talking about May getting a 150 seat majority three weeks ago and here they are with a minority government in panic mode. I wouldn't be surprised if there was another election before the end of the year. 

All respect to Jezza Corbyn for proving so many wrong and giving Labour its biggest vote share swing since since Attlee in the 40s. A game changer.

I don't think it's so much brexit that swayed people. Her surprise social care bill caused a massive upset and caused a lot of people to switch. 

A lot of people still want brexit in spite of what the massively left-biased Twitter may say.

Ultimately they still got in although how long May stays now.   

Boris and Trump in power?

She just gave a speech as if nothing had happened.  Cold, emotionless and soulless.  She has to rely on the DUP to form a government but acts as if she is a success.  

30 minutes ago, jonski43 said:

I don't think it's so much brexit that swayed people. Her surprise social care bill caused a massive upset and caused a lot of people to switch. 

A lot of people still want brexit in spite of what the massively left-biased Twitter may say.

Ultimately they still got in although how long May stays now.   

Boris and Trump in power?

The issue wasn't Brexit or not, but the type of Brexit May was suggesting.  This great turn of the tide was not based on any single issue but on an uprising of discontent combined with one of the worst run Tory campaigns in history. Also, this time it looks like the 18-25s actually did get up off their lazy arses.  David Davis would be natural choice for PM, not that bumbling fool Boris.

25 minutes ago, Jazzy Jan said:

She just gave a speech as if nothing had happened.  Cold, emotionless and soulless.  She has to rely on the DUP to form a government but acts as if she is a success.  

I saw that, typical head in sand stuff, but everyone also saw that she looked like she was gonna collapse last night. She never was 'strong and stable' and no one is falling for it now.  Any deal with the Ulster Unionists is bound for disaster with her in charge. She clearly can't even negotiate within her own party never mind with those nutters. Europe will chew her up and spit her out.

2 hours ago, VeronicaElectronica said:

In a sense, yes. Europe seems to be winning against the movement, but America is far from out of the woods yet.

That's great.  And yes I hope we catch up.  The 2018 mid terms will tell all.

So I guess 'government of certainty' is her new 'strong and stable' :lmao:

Forging alliances with a party that is against same sex margin and is anti-abortion :manson:

EPIC FAIL