BREXIT / British Politics thread

XXL

:banghead: Rupert Murdoch is the most destructive, biased, evil person in the media. That is because he owns so much of the media.  He continually pushes his own ideas, agendas and heartless views everywhere. His own mother was horrified how he turned daily newspapers into tabloids. He is the creature from Hell who runs The Sun, The NY post, Fox News - just some examples. He does the same thing in Australia and always endorses the conservatives and runs smear campaigns against politican's and celebrities with views towards the left. His papers have also trashed Madonna relentlessly since the 80's. 

At the moment, his papers and right wing columnists are all defending that vile Margaret court for her comments. They continually publish letters from people who love Trump and Brexit which he endorsed totally.  The damage he does to the media can never be under estimated. 

2 hours ago, MeakMaker said:

This should be on the news

What, on the news that they OWN? Even the BBC is Tory central now.

Anyway we had our chance to get Murdoch after the phone hacking scandal. Not one person got punished and it might as well of never happened and  now he's on the cusp of taking full control of SKY and turning it into FOX NEWS UK.

All the polls are showing 10 point Tory leads now :evil:

Thoughts on a Westminster Election.

Westminster all seems a bit distant from us.

How many Unionists feel like that now, what with Brexit, cold Secretaries of State and a Prime Minister who doesn't appear to take much interest in the place.

Coming across yet another Royal yesterday in the person of Princess Anne prompted the remark that with so many recent Royals visiting, were they filling the vacuum created by a disinterested Prime Minister? By the way, I'm not a monarchist.

It'll be interesting to see the turnout percentages this time. A low turnout might indicate apathy to Westminster and its 'distance' from us here.

5 hours ago, Kim said:

What, on the news that they OWN? Even the BBC is Tory central now.

Anyway we had our chance to get Murdoch after the phone hacking scandal. Not one person got punished and it might as well of never happened and  now he's on the cusp of taking full control of SKY and turning it into FOX NEWS UK.

All the polls are showing 10 point Tory leads now :evil:

The way he plotted with Rebekah Brooks to get her to take the blame thus taking any attention away from himself in the phone hacking scandal was disgraceful.  Then worked on making her a victim, getting her acquitted and now he rewards her more than ever. Such a disgusting cunning lot who just slither out of anything. 

Why does this Blairite Billionaire hate the only progressive party in Scotland I wonder? Obviously a reluctant Labour supporter with NO mention of Corbyn ever on her twitter. Otherwise known as a Red Tory. 

And now a real author...

Speaking of Balirites, Here's Tony Blair's chum (LABOUR PM who took the UK into an illegal war with Iraq lest we forget) urging people NOT TO VOTE LABOUR :madgemanson:

33 minutes ago, Kim said:

Why does this Blairite Billionaire hate the only progressive party in Scotland I wonder? Obviously a reluctant Labour supporter with NO mention of Corbyn ever on her twitter. Otherwise known as a Red Tory. 

And now a real author...

Never knew that about JK Rowling.  :cries:  I have always loved her tweets destroying Trump and just assumed she would be in favour of the SNP.  

41 minutes ago, Jazzy Jan said:

Never knew that about JK Rowling.  :cries:  I have always loved her tweets destroying Trump and just assumed she would be in favour of the SNP.  

Politically, she's a weird one. Doesn't say much about May, always going in on Trump (and playing to her audience) Dislikes the SNP which is fine as she's a Labour supporter, but very much New Labour who are very much anti-Corbyn. She actually is the elusive "Leftie Elite" that everyone goes on about and that have done so much damage to the REAL left wing, which is why we're all in this right wing hellhole.

Being Labour, she should really be outraged by what's going on. Today's newspapers...

DBx-wCfWsAEyXy.jpg.jpg

DBx-wCNXkAALxfd.jpg

DBx-wCXWsAAAX4A.jpg

3 minutes ago, Kim said:

Politically, she's a weird one. Doesn't say much about May, always going in on Trump (and playing to her audience) Dislikes the SNP which is fine as she's a Labour supporter, but very much New Labour who are very much anti-Corbyn. She actually is the elusive "Leftie Elite" that everyone goes on about and that have done so much damage to the REAL left wing, which is why we're all in this right wing hellhole.

Being Labour, she should really be outraged by what's going on. Today's newspapers...

DBx-wCfWsAEyXy.jpg.jpg

DBx-wCNXkAALxfd.jpg

DBx-wCXWsAAAX4A.jpg

The factions within the Labour party are so damaging to their own cause.  

Those newspaper headlines are disgusting.  It makes me sick seeing that.  Not only incredibly biased but also amateurish and like a hate newsletter. 

23 minutes ago, Kim said:

DBx-wCfWsAEyXy.jpg.jpg

DBx-wCNXkAALxfd.jpg

DBx-wCXWsAAAX4A.jpg

I  thought our press was bad but I have to hand it to the UK. Even FoxNews and MSNBC couldn't get away with this.

No matter what happens in Northern Ireland we will never vote for our own government. 

We will always be represented by either a Tory government who do stand here and receive as little amount of votes as a party can get, or by a Labour government who although are far better in my opinion, will be unelected by us.

The fact that the only way we can have a democratic referendum on the unification of Ireland is through one man, unelected by anyone whatsoever in Ireland (SoS) is a disgrace. I understand why however, because at the time of the GFA we needed a way for Unionists, Nationalists and the British and Irish governments to agree, and a way to a united ireland for nationalists but ambiguous enough for unionists to agree sounded necessary then, but is outdated now as there is a clear rise in support for a united ireland and Irish unity parties.

And even if the person I vote for gets in to Westminster will they have any actual say on how **** is run? Even in the debates every country was represented except NI.

Furthermore, take into consideration the fact that a functioning democracy requires a politically literate electorate and a fair and free press.

Western Democracy is the biggest cons in the history of civilisation.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r9rGX91rq5I&t=27s

I feel like it's just a huge stupid popularity contest - no different from the hype of X Factor, or Eurovision, or even Dancing with the Stars..... Brainwashed from birth a lot of the time to believe my team not yours...... just like supporting the local football team. 

And you could say, oh well, people should educate themselves more and no the facts and make informed decisions but the system is set up in such a way that the more informed you are, the more powerless you realise you are - there are only 2 choices really in terms of practical control of the country; your MP isn't representing you, they're representing their party ideology that has nothing to do with you. 2 flavours of political ideology....... is nothing, no choice at all.

I think voting on issues no longer has to be through a middle-man MP. In today's world of electronic systems, more issues should not be handled as MP votes in parliaments, but as direct votes by the people themselves. MP are meant to be representing the views of the individuals in their constituencies but often they don't, they are instead told what to vote by the party itself........ We don't need that because today, we can all have our say directly using technology. We don't need to have our individual views filtered through or overridden by pre-determined party ideologies.

For the big issues anyway. This way people do feel more impactful on policies, will probably take more time to understand fully the issues and it would mean that the country would be better served to educate people properly and no just pandering PR talk to "trick" people into thinking this serves them better than that.

1 hour ago, Jazzy Jan said:

Those newspaper headlines are disgusting.  It makes me sick seeing that.  Not only incredibly biased but also amateurish and like a hate newsletter. 

1 hour ago, mnino said:

I  thought our press was bad but I have to hand it to the UK. Even FoxNews and MSNBC couldn't get away with this.

Those were the English editions. Let's have a look at the Scottish versions...

DBwLsJfXcAQ3ZfA.jpg

Untitled2.jpg

DBv6Y_jXYAAJkCO.jpg

Untitled.jpg

Why are they so determined to ignite such right wing hatred in the English versions I wonder? Yet pretty civilised here?

And yes, that's the SAME SUN that's telling voters in England that the evil SNP will do a deal with evil Corbyn and so better vote Tory while at the same time endorsing the SNP and slagging the evil Tories in Scotland!

Not really politics but some good news all the same (to add to more good news later I hope)

I always fancied a CHURCH WEDDING :sassy:

Scottish Episcopal Church approves gay marriage

The Scottish Episcopal Church has voted to allow gay couples to marry in church.

It makes it the first major Christian church in the UK to allow same-sex marriages.

The vote to amend canon law on marriage, removing the stipulation that it is between a man and a woman, was carried by the Synod in Edinburgh.

It means that gay Christians from any Anglican Church can now ask to be married in a Scottish Anglican Church.

Clergy who wish to officiate at gay marriages will have to "opt-in".

The church said this meant that those who disagreed with gay marriage would be protected and not have to act against their conscience.

But the vote to allow same-sex marriage - which required the backing of at least two thirds of each house of Bishops, Clergy and Laity - has left the church at odds with most of the rest of the worldwide Anglican Communion.

Passionate debate

At last year's Synod, members of the Church agreed to send the issue for discussion to its seven dioceses.

Six of them voted in favour of amending the law. Only Aberdeen and Orkney voted against the proposal.

Same sex marriage became legal in Scotland at the end of 2014 but the Church of Scotland and the Roman Catholic Church opposed the move.

The issue has provoked passionate debate within the Anglican Communion. Bishops in Africa and Asia who stand firm on the issue are growing in influence and have formed an organisation - Gafcon, and it may hasten a split in the communion, with power moving south to the churches of Africa.

:scotland: :scotland: 

1 hour ago, Kim said:

Why are they so determined to ignite such right wing hatred in the English versions I wonder? Yet pretty civilised here?

And yes, that's the SAME SUN that's telling voters in England that the evil SNP will do a deal with evil Corbyn and so better vote Tory while at the same time endorsing the SNP and slagging the evil Tories in Scotland!

Is that how the Brexit campaign was covered? If so, I can see how the "yes" vote won. 

3 hours ago, Kim said:

Those were the English editions. Let's have a look at the Scottish versions...

DBwLsJfXcAQ3ZfA.jpg

Untitled2.jpg

DBv6Y_jXYAAJkCO.jpg

Untitled.jpg

Corbyn is looking sexy these days isn't he? 

20 minutes ago, Suedehead said:

Corbyn is looking sexy these days isn't he? 

Unfortunately Uncle Jezza can't overcome the fact that Scottish Labour are a bunch of arseholes that would rather support a Tory than the SNP  (who do indeed have more in common with Corbyn than his own party) and are led by one silly bitch with a silly name...Kezia Dugdale aka Deputy Dug.That's why I've voted....

I bet YOU voted Tory :queenbitch:

30 minutes ago, promise to try said:

no news about the elections yet?

Two hours until the polls close. The exit poll will be released then and will probably be accurate.

36 minutes ago, Suedehead said:

But to get back on topic, Jezza really fulfils my 'older man' fantasies these days. Unfortunately I'm too old in the game now to be playing that.

:madno:                                   :madno:  :madno:  :madno:         :madno:

:madno:                                   :madno:                 :madno:         :madno:

:madno: :madno: :madno:        :madno:  :madno:  :madno:         :madno: :madno: :madno: