BREXIT / British Politics thread

XXL

The EU is not going to collapse anytime soon.

If Brussels had allowed the UK to close frontiers the country would still be part of the Union.  

Enough with the nonsense and stop this trend of defending the racist decisions. 

Congratulations on winning your country going backwards of at least 20 years. You deserve all the misfortune and shit that ignorant uneducated people like you get and are bound to be getting even worse very soon. Bye bye idiot.

The EU is not going to collapse anytime soon.

If Brussels had allowed the UK to close frontiers the country would still be part of the Union.  

Enough with the nonsense and stop this trend of defending the racist decisions. 

THE PEOPLE VOTED FOR IT SO 

IMG_4478.GIF

Will the remain vote for or against  Theresa May? This election will be interesting. 

It depends, with a lot of the remain vote coming from Labour areas, probably won't make a difference. The result would probably be the Conservatives increasing majorities in the seats they currently hold, while probably picking up some traditionally working class Labour seats. Jeremy Corbyn didn't really put up an enthusiastic fight to remain, so he probably can't really use that against her to its full effectiveness.

Let's hope this election brings out all those who didn't turn out at the EU referendum.

With the Labour Party in a mess and the local council elections in the rest of the UK in May it's clear that the Torys have jumped on this opportunity with Labour weakened and will use local council elections as their early exit polls to see what areas they need to hit hard.

In NI it's unsure how things will pan out, without a unionist pact the DUP will have to actually do some work in North and East Belfast to retain their seats and the UUP will need to work twice as hard in Fermanagh & South Tyrone to have a chance of retaining. 

South Belfast will be wide open for the SDLP, Alliance, DUP and SF.

Smart decision from Theresa May to call an election now because Labour will be heavily defeated. I can't imagine Jeremy Corbyn will last after the election and that's probably not a bad thing, for Labour's future as a political party. 

After she repeatedly said she would not call one

Coherent

Like with that National Insurance debacle

After she repeatedly said she would not call one

Coherent

Like with that National Insurance debacle

The fact that she said that she wouldn't call one in the past is meaningless because opportunities and situations arose that she previously did not foresee. On a more cunning level she caught the opposition off guard, but it's not her problem that the Labour Party is unfocused and not prepared to provide stable government. People can't complain about how Theresa May was unelected (despite the fact that people don't vote for the PM), and then complain when she does seek an election mandate. I've seen Prime Ministers not take advantage of similar opportunities before, and they always end up regretting it. So that's why it's smart politics. 

The fact that she said that she wouldn't call one in the past is meaningless because opportunities and situations arose that she previously did not foresee. On a more cunning level she caught the opposition off guard, but it's not her problem that the Labour Party is unfocused and not prepared to provide stable government. People can't complain about how Theresa May was unelected (despite the fact that people don't vote for the PM), and then complain when she does seek an election mandate. I've seen Prime Ministers not take advantage of similar opportunities before, and they always end up regretting it. So that's why it's smart politics. 

Of course it's a smart move from HER and her political side standpoint, now of all times and with a Labour Party in complete disarray. It just shows the current uncertainty and fiddling over the initially very enthusiastic and self-assured Brexit Means Brexit empty rethoric. Without ever going into detail about one single thing of it. Vagueness to the max. Particularly since the triggering of Article 50. If you think this wasn't planned from the start you'd be mistaken

In any transitional phase or difficult moment people tend to stick by politicians who are already in charge out of fear and uncertainty, even if they don't necessarily agree with them or the way they are carrying out a policy

I'm glad I could make you laugh. You seem a bit dull and negative.

Well i had another answer,  incredibly feisty and colourful,  but you know,  it was a pity to waste it to answer A GIF! :lmao:

You obviously take this all too seriously. This is only a forum. No need to post pointless essays.

I didn't know there was a word limit because "it's a forum" :laugh: Damn those "pointless essays". Pointless I assume is your subjective take on them. Nothing is ever pointless. Least of all the expression of opinions on any given topic, you don't need to be Michael Gove or any other politician to write about Brexit. We can discuss these things as well as Madonna's career. They're not mutually exclusive :laugh:

Nicola Sturgeon has accused Theresa May of using a snap general election as a chance to “move the UK to the right” and force through deeper spending cuts.

Sturgeon said the prime minister’s decision was a “huge political miscalculation” because it would give voters an opportunity to reject Conservative austerity and a hard Brexit, and give the Scottish National party a new mandate for an independence referendum.

Spot on. As usual with this lady. Wise, crisp, to the point, unaffected and not trying to disguise facts by virtue of empty rethoric.

Tory internal party politics once again being favoured at the expense of the people's interests, regardless of their referendum preference

I didn't know there was a word limit because "it's a forum" :laugh: Damn those "pointless essays". Pointless I assume is your subjective take on them. Nothing is ever pointless. Least of all the expression of opinions on any given topic, you don't need to be Michael Gove or any other politician to write about Brexit. We can discuss these things as well as Madonna's career. They're not mutually exclusive :laugh:

I didn't say nor imply that there was a word limit. I'm saying that this is just a forum no need to get your knickers in a twist. Complaining is pointless because you don't gain anything. In fact you just waste time. I never said you can't discuss things but people need to relax a little. Anyway, hope you have a wonderful week!

I didn't say nor imply that there was a word limit. I'm saying that this is just a forum no need to get your knickers in a twist. Complaining is pointless because you don't gain anything. In fact you just waste time. I never said you can't discuss things but people need to relax a little. Anyway, hope you have a wonderful week!

Nobody is getting their knickers in a twist in this thread, it's rather you discrediting and dismissing a different view by saying it's pointless or too wordy. And I hope you do complain outside of a forum realm, not necessarily in favour or against Brexit in particular of course, because by your logic of "you don't gain anything, you're wasting your time" nothing would ever be challenged outside of here, and it's called an online forum because people discuss things online perhaps?

It doesn't obviously mean that incompetent clowns made Foreign Secretaries like Boris Johnson come in here to read or care about any one of us opinions, though he could use some of it to look more credible or many other examples we have been seeing at the forefront of British politics over the course of the past 18 months

What do you think for instance of Sturgeon's claim that once again the interest of the Tory Party are being put ahead of the interests of Britain as a whole? It's like David Cameron's Russian Roulette gimmicking all over again. Bless him. Wherever he is now holding a speech and making some cash

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-politics-39628533

Theresa May's election U-turn

"The next General Election should be in 2020."

The words of Theresa May who has just executed an enormous political reversal. For months she and her team have played down the prospect of an early poll. The reasons were simple. They didn't want to cause instability during Brexit negotiations. They didn't want to go through the technical process of getting round the Fixed Term Parliaments Act.

They didn't want the unpredictability of an election race. And many in the Conservative Party believed there is so little chance of the Labour Party getting its act together before 2020 that they could carry on until then and still expect a sizeable majority. There was also, for Theresa May, the desire to show that she will be a prime minister who sticks to her word.

But the relentless political logic proved too tempting to hold to all of that. Dealing day-to-day with a small majority has given Conservative backbenchers significant power to force the government to back down on a variety of issues. Election campaigns can be deeply unpredictable but opinion polls suggest a Tory majority that would make that problem disappear.

And while prime ministers are not directly elected, as she approaches the Brexit negotiations, the PM's hand in negotiations in Brussels - as well as in Westminster - would be fundamentally strengthened with an election mandate she believes she can win. There are plenty of risks. If the last few years have shown anything it's the politics of this era is extremely hard to predict. With ministers in the dark until this morning, what is certain is that Theresa May is hard to read.

Nobody is getting their knickers in a twist in this thread, it's raher you discrediting and dismissing a different view by saying it's pointless or too wordy. And I hope you do complain outside of a forum realm, not necessarily in favour or against Brexit in particular of course, because by your logic of "you don't gain anything, you're wasting your time" nothing would ever be challenged outside of here, and it's called an online forum because people discuss things online perhaps?

It doesn't obviously mean that incompetent clowns made Foreign Secretaries like Boris Johnson come in here to read or care about any one of us opinions, though he could use some of it to look more credible or many other examples we have been seeing at the forefront of British politics over the course of the past 18 months

What do you think for instance of Sturgeon's claim that once again the interest of the Tory Party are being put ahead of the interests of Britain as a whole? It's like David Cameron's Russian Roulette gimmicking all over again. Bless him. Wherever he is now holding a speech and making some ca Maybe you feel like you're doing your bit by complaining but that doesn't work for me.

For me complaining doesn't change anything. I think we should definitely talk about how we feel about anything but complaining leads to nowhere. Real action is needed if you're not happy with the way things are. But that's just me. Maybe you find comfort in complaining.

The Governments interests are always put before the country as a whole. That is nothing new; very sad but nothing new. 

I think we can all agree on the fact that David Cameron is a prick.

For me complaining doesn't change anything. I think we should definitely talk about how we feel about anything but complaining leads to nowhere. Real action is needed if you're not happy with the way things are. But that's just me. Maybe you find comfort in complaining.

The Governments interests are always put before the country as a whole. That is nothing new; very sad but nothing new. 

I think we can all agree on the fact that David Cameron is a prick.

Discussing / Complaining are complimentary and an extension to each other. People sharing views is a positive thing for humanity, coming together and not getting divided by labels would be even better. You have ridiculed other posters implying they take this too seriously. Well, guess what, it is serious, whichever angle you look at it from

When this guy is Foreign Secretary of a nation that has been the first democracy in Europe with its tradition of Magna Charta and all you'll be excused for thinking "oh my, how did we get to this?"

16hhy1.jpg

16d9bh.jpg

borishanging.jpg

boris-johnson-donald-trump-and-every-day

:lmao: 

157ypk.jpg

enhanced-26592-1403522143-1.jpg

42c80499b1c7971d5f6603ec108038c2.jpg

:bad: 

boris-quotes-prove-he-is-the-perfect-for

Only a miracle can save us from this Tories regime now. 

WW 3 might happen next month so maybe that could stop the conservatives to run this country and turn it into a joke as if things are not already bad enough.

How clever of them to push for an election where clearly they have no competition. The English should wake up and smell the coffee but I doubt it... after Brexit and Trump peeps have become so unpredictable with their voting choice and will end up voting for her and her party as she's the only politician who hasn't been completely trashed by the media. 

These governments are truly deplorable. No wonder we are facing world conflicts. All they care about is themselves and save their own skin. They make me sick :sick:

Well, to be fair wih the mess that is going to be the negociations, at least if you have a strong party in UK it will be easier. Imagine a mess of a Parliament with no real majority? I'm not defending the conservatives, but once the brexit is a reality and once negociations start...