BREXIT / British Politics thread

XXL

I want to remind our British members here that in Spain and the EU there's ZERO interest in Gibraltar right now, and that this debate is just some smoke curtain from Rupert Murdoch because Brexit is such a mess that they are trying something, either get the population together or avoid talking about the big issues. The Spanish governement hasn't said anything new about Gibraltar, and the EU either. 

But today...

14913107830560.jpg

14913102351475.jpg

2 hours ago, karbatal said:

I want to remind our British members here that in Spain and the EU there's ZERO interest in Gibraltar right now, and that this debate is just some smoke curtain from Rupert Murdoch because Brexit is such a mess that they are trying something, either get the population together or avoid talking about the big issues. The Spanish governement hasn't said anything new about Gibraltar, and the EU either. 

But today...

14913107830560.jpg

14913102351475.jpg

How I hate the tabloids.  Typical again - bread and circuses so to speak to distract people from the real issues.  Trying to deflect by creating more racism and wrong assumptions.  Pathetic. The Sun and the Daily mail are absolute cancers on society. 

Is Spain the new Russian boogeyman? Off our rock? Our? Feels very Malvinas Faulklandesque. Oh dear us. Ludicrous tabloid trash. Once again a convenient distraction from the real issues at stake

You gotta love how Theresa May has hired the same Daily Mail publicity team that was responsible for yet another (sexist) and frivolous beside the point distraction

_95348796_mail2ndedition.jpg

And :rotfl:@ the beyond rude, arrogant, troglodyte sector of readership and transparent Up Yours Senors liner

Could those who took time to think that up be living any more in their little delusionally imperialistic bubble? Just a few decades too late. Someone should explain to them that people like Margaret Thatcher deliberately went out of their way to destroy whatever was left of a post imperial Britain. And that what still made Britain great was exactly an outstanding third sector based on multiculturalism which comes out of this mess being severely impaired and limited. Bravado unsubstantiated by facts is always the most entertaining one, especially at end game level

Meanwhile Theresa May is telling the British taxpayers (by whom she wasn't even elected) how great everything is going to be since she has now secured multi billion pounds deals with mega corrupt, violent, despotic, backwards rogue states, terrorism incubators, such as Saudi Arabia and Qatar and in the same breath has the audacity to join Western hypocritical outcry over Syrian and Iranian leadership

So let me recap:

City of London stripped of its privileges and exemptions

Scotland

Northern Ireland

Gibraltar

Great outlook

What astounds me is the arrogance in tone by some of those UK politicians

Do the Boris Johnsons etc actually understand and care about what is actually going on?

Here bumbling fool Borisconi lying through his teeth about the situation in Syria, cannot even lie properly

While Theresa May goes around the world defending UK's arm deals with Saudi Arabia and expecting people to believe that the the future of British citizens and their prosperity is guaranteed by having deals with Qatar and the likes. Such stunning hypocrisy. She even has the nerve to tell people that working with Saudi Arabia has made people in the UK safer when Saudi Arabia is the main financial backer of both Al Qaeda and ISIS, I just can't

Already backpeddling ay?

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-politics-39498647

Brexit: Theresa May suggests free movement extension

_95469079_0a7d31e4-c48b-443d-ad92-459676

Free movement of people from the EU to the UK could be extended after Brexit, Theresa May has suggested. The prime minister said there would be an "implementation" phase once an exit deal had been struck, with business and governments needing a "period of time" to adjust to any new restrictions. The government insists Brexit will give the UK greater control of its borders. But Labour said Mrs May's comments showed she was trying to "downplay expectations". BBC deputy political editor John Pienaar says the comments clearly left open the possibility of free movement continuing, at least temporarily.

Speaking to journalists during her visit to Jordan and Saudi Arabia, the PM was pressed on what would happen if there was a transitional phase after a Brexit deal is reached. She said: "You've used the phrase transitional phase; I have used the phrase implementation period.

"Once we've got the deal, once we've agreed what the new relationship will be for the future, it will be necessary for there to be a period of time when businesses and governments are adjusting systems and so forth, depending on the nature of the deal - but a period of time when that deal will be implemented."

However, Mrs May said the government would still be in charge of its immigration policy. "What is crucial for the British public, what was part of the vote that they took last year, was that they want to ensure that we have control of our borders and control of our immigration," she said. "That's exactly what we will do when we come out of the European Union."

A change of tone   :rotfl:

_95467057_0f581e9d-7f74-447b-8be4-a37067

Nagging questions about the future after Brexit continue to follow the prime minister at home and abroad. The shape of future immigration policy is high on the list. One key change, Mrs May said, would be that borders and immigration policy would be under British control. That clearly left open the possibility of free movement continuing, at least temporarily.

She did not endorse talk in Brussels of a transitional period of maybe three years. But the tone of ministers discussing immigration policy has changed. Suggestions of a sharp cut in EU migration after Brexit has given way to caveats and qualification. The rhetoric and slogans of the EU referendum and its aftermath have passed - now Mrs May and her ministers are preparing the ground for the give-and-take and compromises involved in their mission to deliver success and stability outside the EU.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2017/apr/05/theresa-may-has-to-take-costly-charter-jet-due-to-royal-schedule-clash

Theresa May has to take costly charter jet due to royal schedule clash

Prime minister was forced to give up use of official plane for her Middle East tour as it was already in use by Prince Charles

MayPlane2-xlarge_trans_NvBQzQNjv4Bqek9vK

Theresa May was forced to take a costly charter jet on her Middle East trade tour because the prime minister’s RAF Voyager plane was in use by Prince Charles, it has been revealed. The former military plane was refitted last year for David Cameron – leading it to be nicknamed “Air Force Cam” – in an apparent cost-saving move, with No 10 saying it would be cheaper than chartering private planes. The Ministry of Defence said at the time of the plane’s launch that it would save taxpayers £775,000 a year, and that it would also be used by the royal family.

The schedule clash meant the prime minister gave up the use of the plane for her trip to Jordan and Saudi Arabia, while Charles visits Italy, Romania and Austria  :semifunny:    The aircraft has 58 business seats for aides, business delegations and travelling journalists and is based at RAF Brize Norton. An RAF Voyager flight costs about £2,000 an hour, compared with an average private cost of £6,700, according to Downing Street sources. Though it is not known how much the charter flight for the prime minister’s Middle East visit cost, Cameron’s January 2015 flight to Saudi Arabia after King Abdullah’s death cost £100,000.

3361.jpg?w=620&q=55&auto=format&usm=12&f

A government spokesperson said: “Ever since we first thought up the idea of the Voyager, it was always designed for use by the Queen and the prime minister, or anyone attending international events representing the Queen. The Prince of Wales is using it right now as he is representing the Queen on this tour he is on.

“Inevitably, there are clashes in scheduling. On a previous occasion, the PM used it and the Prince of Wales chartered an aircraft. This time, it is the other way round.”

The Labour MP Paul Flynn said: “This just shows that we are subjects, not citizens. It does seem to me to be outrageous. Of course the prime minister should have the first call on the plane – she is the elected ruler – ahead of some unspecified journeys by the heir to the throne.”

The SNP's leader in Westminster, Angus Robertson, says that he and his party have 'yet to be convinced by Theresa May's government' and have 'a whole load of reasons to be sceptical about her promises on Scotland and Scottish governance'. discusses the possibility of a second referendum on Scottish independence and the chances of a success for the 'yes' vote this time round

Prince Charles was so sweet and sensitive in his italian trip, especially when he visited Amatrice. He said he has Italy in his heart and that the UK is out of the European Union, but it will always be Europe (of course)or something like that. I am sure he was anti - Brexit.  Theresa May on the other hand is so pathetic. ...

Don't want to detract from brexit as a whole but potential direct rule for Northern Ireland has been a major topic of discussion from the point the assembly collapsed, it was discussed in the recent talks after the election and has been discussed in the new round of talks. A government still hasn't been formed.

Section 32 of the Northern Ireland act (which implements the Good Friday/St Andrews agreements) says the Secretary of State has to propose a date for a new election if first and deputy first ministers aren't appointed within the timeframe set out in section 16A. That's 7 days after the first scheduled meeting of the assembly, which is in turn to be no more than 8 days after the election results are certified.

Obviously, we're well past this now. Brokenshire is taking advantage of the fact that the legislation doesn't tell him when he has to propose the election, so he's trying to hold off to see if they can eke out an agreement with the Assembly in limbo, and then pretend a new election wasn't called for.

Why the fuck European citizens living and working in the armpit of Europe are called MIGRANTS whereas the armpit of Europe's crowd living and working in Europe are called UK/BRITISH EXPATS? Something I have noticed for quite some time.

British media is absolutely revolting.

If the 3 million European EXPATS living in the UK get treated like shit at the end of this pathetic Brexit negotiation, then UK expats living in European EU members countries should be equally treated like shit. And the EU bloc should be steady firm on imposing Britain to settle their €50 million debt. Britain's got to pay. Wankers.

British government realises Brexit is a mistake, official says

http://www.irishtimes.com/news/politics/british-government-realises-brexit-is-a-mistake-official-says-1.3048046#.WPCkZN7q4Ms.twitter

Sure, didn't we know, at least some of us did. "An act of great self-harm!" What do you think?

We'll end up with free movement, but no representation at Brussels. Why free movement? It's the way the world is moving, and we need the labour, otherwise our industries and services will die. Travel up to Derry or Belfast from Dublin, be treated in a hospital or a nursing home, be served up food or drink in a hotel and restaurant, and you'll see what I mean. And those British living and working abroad will not thank us for imperiling their futures outside the UK. Nor will Gibralter.

Those who wanted to take "our country back" will 
very soon find that it was a vanity project, founded in false sentiment without intelligence and evidence.

Add to that the virtual disinterest in the North about Brexit, and also for the UK, the amount of time and energy being expended on this project.

My main concern with Northern Ireland's future within the UK lies with the British Government and whether or not they want to fight the corner for us. If they're just going throw us aside and pretend that we don't exist without caring about the repercussions for that.. Then, i'm afraid for me personally, I have no interest in staying in the United Kingdom.

But I will wait and see. Theresa keeps talking about her precious "United Kingdom" that she believes in.. I'll give her the benefit of the doubt and see what she does in these negotiations. I suspect United Kingdom for her means England, Scotland, Wales, without Northern Ireland

One of my friends in Dublin is a very senior Irish civil servant.

He's been doing Anglo-Irish stuff on and off since the period just after the Good Friday Agreement in 1998. He's at the level where he'd be in meeting James Brokenshire.

He was saying to me a couple of nights ago that the only ones who care about the North is the government in Dublin.

In his experience London is indifferent, they don't want the hassle of looking after us.

But Dublin cares because if there's trouble in the North, the Republic's international reputation will drop like a stone and that's the end of foreign direct investment.

Maybe not the best of reasons but it's the best reason I can think of for a United Ireland. 

British expats in Spain count the Costa Brexit – video

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/video/2017/mar/16/british-expats-in-spain-count-the-costa-brexit-video

Spaniards should be much harder on them, considering how Spaniards are treated by these typically self-important, typically self-entitled British people in a land that is not even England, a land that belongs to Spain. If Brits in the UK have taken a racist, belittling hard stance against all European foreigners, British IMMIGRANTS in Europe - yes they are immigrants contrary to what that arrogant English old fart says at the beginning of this clip says - should face the same consequences of their vote. Sure a minority, a slim one, bothered to vote and said NO to Brexit, but among the ones whom instead voted for Brexit there are old farts living in Europe (utter cretins and hypocrites), British immigrants who have benefited from Spain healthcare system for example, as shown in this video and by own admission claim that it is much better than in shitty retrograde UK.

So fuck you, I hope the decision of people's fate in Europe and in the UK comes soon enough and it if has to be a fucking hard one, may that affect everyone, including the pompous bigot racist fucking English Brexiters. Not sorry, assholes.

The people voted for Brexit so I don't see why Theresa May shouldn't go through with it. In fact I am happy she is. David Cameron was too much of a baby. When things didn't go his way he wanted out. This is what the majority of the people voted for so deal with it. Everyone is so picky these days. 

So fuck you, I hope the decision of people's fate in Europe and in the UK comes soon enough and it if has to be a fucking hard one, may that affect everyone, including the pompous bigot racist fucking English Brexiters. Not sorry, assholes.

Not everyone who voted for Brexit is racist:dazed:. The EU will probably collapse soon anything. 

Not everyone who voted for Brexit is racist:dazed:. The EU will probably collapse soon anything. 

Interesting, because the driving factor to that vote was taking control of UK borders to prevent further "filthy disgusting European IMMIGRANTS" from getting into the island, especially the oh so much hated Polish and Romanians, to mention some. Taking back control to prevent those scummy Europeans from taking advantage of the oh so generous (as if) British welfare system, or taking jobs that British people cannot seem to be bothered to do. Sure, not everyone who voted for Brexit is racist but facts say otherwise. And the argument that the EU will probably collapse soon (what does "anything" even mean there???) further cements how ill informed your comment is let alone of those who voted in favor of Brexit. If the EU project has to collapse, as some seem to be advocating, may that be happening against the very same people who contributed to such event, starting from the Brexiter morons.

Interesting, because the driving factor to that vote was taking control of UK borders to prevent further "filthy disgusting European IMMIGRANTS" from getting into the island, especially the oh so much hated Polish and Romanians, to mention some. Taking back control to prevent those scummy Europeans from taking advantage of the oh so generous (as if) British welfare system, or taking jobs that British people cannot seem to be bothered to do. Sure, not everyone who voted for Brexit is racist but facts say otherwise. And the argument that the EU will probably collapse soon (what does "anything" even mean there???) further cements how ill informed your comment is let alone of those who voted in favor of Brexit. If the EU project has to collapse, as some seem to be advocating, may that be happening against the very same people who contributed to such event, starting from the Brexiter morons.

"Ill-informed" LOOOOOOL. Professors and politicians have even said themselves that the EU will probably collapse soon. Stop acting like the EU is so holy and sacred cause it's really not. 

I think you're the ill informed one if you think all Brexit voters are racist. Of course a lot of people voted out due to foreigners but a lot of people also voted out for other reasons. The foreign argument was just plastered everywhere to make all  Brexit voters look bad. 

Anyway, I guess Brexiters win:IMG_1564:

"Ill-informed" LOOOOOOL. Professors and politicians have even said themselves that the EU will probably collapse soon. Stop acting like the EU is so holy and sacred cause it's really not. 

I think you're the ill informed one if you think all Brexit voters are racist. Of course a lot of people voted out due to foreigners but a lot of people also voted out for other reasons. The foreign argument was just plastered everywhere to make all  Brexit voters look bad. 

Anyway, I guess Brexiters win:IMG_1564:

Congratulations on winning your country going backwards of at least 20 years. You deserve all the misfortune and shit that ignorant uneducated people like you get and are bound to be getting even worse very soon. Bye bye idiot.