BREXIT / British Politics thread

XXL

All of these replacements who lead the country they represent to their implosion. Theresa May: just a replacement. Did any entitled to vote British citizen ever recall voting for this demented, fascist, blatantly lying, horrible cunt? Yet this horrible witch is carrying on undisturbed.

34 minutes ago, XXL said:

:chuckle:

The irony of it all is that it was British politicians who bipartisanly wanted to extend entrance into the EU to Eastern European countries such as Romania and Bulgaria because they wanted to weaken the Franco-German engine of the Union, countries that do not have in the slightest economies the size of the four strongest EU member states per GDP, Germany, France, the UK and Italy

I think France lobbied for Romania (common ansestor language, great French influence in RO) and Germany for Bulgaria (historically we have been German allies minus the Communism).

Germany has lots of benefits of the broadening: lots of good are being exported there and the boundaries are now far far away from German land. 

The thing is that every country has to do LOTS of sacrifices to get inside the EU.  And let's face it,  I'm not sure if Romania or Bulgaria have got much from the EU. I think they have given more than they got.  

Meanwhile the UK is your typical posh privileged who complains about the poor member of the class joining their stupid party. 

Let the tax heaven fuckery continue:

Caffe Nero paid no corporation tax last year, despite £25.5m profit

Coffee shop chain Caffe Nero paid no corporation tax in the UK last year, despite ringing up profits of £25.5m.

The company, which has 613 stores in the UK and Ireland, said it paid no corporation tax because its parent company reported a loss.

Caffe Nero is part of Rome Pikco Group, a holding company that manages the chain’s presence in the UK, Turkey and the Gulf states, and reported a loss of £22.2m in the year to the end of May 2016.

Companies House filings show turnover at Caffe Nero grew 6.7 per cent to £257.6m as it opened 31 stores over the year.

Caffe Nero has not paid UK corporation tax since 2007 and came under criticism last year for not paying corporation tax in 2015 on profits of £23.6m. Starbucks has also faced backlash in the past over alleged tax avoidance, but has since changed the structure of its company and paid an £8.1m UK corporation tax bill in 2015.

Last year it emerged the owner of Cadbury had paid no corporation tax in its latest financial year, despite making a profit of £177.6m on sales of £1.73bn. Mondelez said the figure was inflated by a “one off gain” from selling its coffee business.

Caffe Nero was founded in 1997 by entrepreneur Gerry Ford. The company was listed on the London Stock Exchange in 2001, but was brought back into private hands after Mr Ford led a management buyout in 2007.

Caffe Nero could not be reached for comment on Sunday.

https://inews.co.uk/essentials/news/business/caffe-nero-paid-no-corporation-tax-last-year-despite-25-5m-profit/

While on the other side of the pond a former POTUS delivers his verdict on Trump's policies, on this side, a former Prime Minister and Tory leader said:

Brexit: John Major accuses Theresa May's Government of misleading the British people

Sir John also warned against using Parliament as a 'rubber stamp' for Ms May's Brexit Bill

Z

Former Tory prime minister Sir John Major has accused Theresa May’s Government of misleading the British people over Brexit with “rosy confidence”, half-truths and “sky high” hopes.

In an extraordinary intervention, Sir John cast doubt on the “enticing” promises being offered to voters and attacked Ms May and her ministers for saying nothing about massive Brexit costs – including a potential £60bn divorce bill – and major potential damage to the NHS and welfare.

As Lords debated the Bill that will allow Ms May to trigger Brexit nearby, Sir John reproached the Prime Minister for trying to use Parliament as a “rubber stamp” for her plans.

Echoing a recent speech by Tony Blair, he demanded those concerned about Brexit be allowed to speak up, denying they are ‘opposing the will of the people’, and instead stating “they are the people”.

The comprehensive take-down of the Government’s approach to leaving the EU also saw Sir John warn Ms May of building close ties with Donald Trump and of already souring the atmosphere on the continent with “cheap rhetoric”.

Sir John’s intervention is likely to anger Brexiteer Tories already aggravated by Michael Heseltine’s pledge to defy Ms May over her drive to quit the EU.

Targeting the false optimism of ministers, the ex-PM said: “The hopes of those who favoured leaving the European Union are sky-high.  We are told that countries ‘are queuing up to do trade deals with us’.  That ‘our best days lie ahead’.

“It all sounds very enticing.  And, for the sake of our country, I hope the optimists are proved right. But I’m not sure they will be.  My own experience of international negotiations, and the national self-interest that accompanies them, makes me doubt the rosy confidence being offered to the British people.”

He pointed out that speeches coming from Brexiteer ministers talk about what the UK will take out of an EU deal, before adding: “We hear nothing about what our country may have to give in return.

“If anyone genuinely believes that Europe will concede all we wish for and exact no price for doing so, then they are extraordinarily naive.” 

Sir John then turned his guns directly at Ms May’s Brexit White Paper for making no mention of the divorce bill for Britain – potentially up to £60bn –which EU chief negotiator Michel Barnier is pursuing.

While Sir John said he finds the figure contentious, he went on: “The bill will be substantial. Billions, not millions, and very unpalatable.  It will come as a nasty shock to voters who were not forewarned of this – even in the recent White Paper.”

He added: “When you leave any club, you are obliged to settle your debts, and that is what the European Union is going to expect the UK to do.” 

Sir John then raised questions over the Prime Minister’s stated goal of signing both a divorce agreement and a new free trade deal by spring 2019 – something also doubted by some Tory MPs and European politicians – due to the complex nature of what must be agreed.

Ms May has said if she does not get the deal she wants, she will be prepared to quit the EU with no deal, revert to trading with the bloc on WTO rules, and transform the UK in to an enterprise economy.

But Sir John said she and her ministers have failed to explain what this would mean, branding it “the worst possible outcome” with “worrying implications for public services such as the NHS”.

He said: “We cannot move to a radical enterprise economy without moving away from a welfare state.

“Such a direction of policy, once understood by the public, would never command support.  It would make all previous rows over social policy seem a minor distraction.”

Sir John also dealt with Ms May’s approach to the Trump administration, reminding the Prime Minister that the UK is the junior partner in the ‘Special Relationship’.

He said: “If we disagree with American policy, we may weaken our ties.  But if we support it slavishly, we become seen as an American echo, an invidious role for a nation that has broken free from Europe to become more independent. 

“And inevitably there will be disagreements, the US wish to contain China and engage Russia,  we wish to contain Russia and engage China.

“We seem likely to disagree also on refugees, free trade, the legality of Jewish settlements, and climate change.  How many disagreements can there be before even the closest of ties begin to fray?”

The former prime minister said UK negotiators will need to show the highest statesmanship to secure any sort of deal but instead lamented that, “behind the diplomatic civilities, the atmosphere is already sour”.

He went on: “A little more charm, and a lot less cheap rhetoric, would do much to protect the UK’s interests.”

Tory Brexiteer MPs called for Lord Heseltine to be sacked from his post advising government after he said he would vote to amend Ms May’s Article 50 Bill on Sunday.

Meanwhile, Tony Blair gave a speech in London recently calling for people to “rise up” against Brexit, while Lord Mandelson wrote in The Independent demanding the British people have the final say on Ms May’s deal, possibly in a second referendum.

In response to Sir John's speech, a No 10 source said: “The Government is determined to make a success of our departure from the European Union and to move beyond the language of leave and remain to unite our country.

“The Prime Minister set out her twelve negotiating objectives for Brexit in January. We have a clear plan to get the best deal for the United Kingdom and are going to get on with the job of delivering it.”

Labour's Chuka Umunna, a supporter of Open Britain, the campaign group calling for close links to be retained with Brussels, said: "It is absolutely right to warn that if the Government continues on its current course, we will end up with the kind of hard, destructive Brexit that costs jobs and damages our economy.

"The Government have promised to get a deal that delivers the 'exact same benefits' as we have today. Sir John is right to question how likely that is, but there is no chance at all of it being delivered if our European partners across the negotiating table continue to be demonised.”

Liberal Democrat Leader Tim Farron said: “The Conservatives should listen to the likes of John Major and Heseltine instead of sneering at them. These are people with huge experience of negotiating with Europe, while the Brexiteers have no clear strategy.

“There is nothing patriotic about shutting down debate on the risks of a hard Brexit for our country's prosperity and security.”

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/brexit-john-major-theresa-may-misleading-british-people-a7602651.html

It's really something when I find myself agreeing with both Tony Blair and John Major in the space of a week.

There is NO political voice UK-wide representing the 48% who voted to stay. It's ridiculous. Anyone who dares raise any dissenting voice is immediately "going against the will of the people"  and made out to be some unpatriotic loony. Well, not MY people. These fucking idiots still parroting on about "taking the country back" while seemingly completely oblivious to the economic hardship just about to land right on their doorstep are on par with those Trumpets in the US who'll hear nothing bad said about him... no matter what. It's like something's been put in the drinking water.

It's not like that up here I hasten to add. Just the other week when Question Time (political TV programme that moves around the country each week) was in Glasgow, Twitter was abuzz with the fact that it's the first time the whole show ran without a bunch or right wing nutters giving their opinions and the first time the word "immigration" didn't even come up. There's such a political disparity in this country that I can't wait till we're free of it. I'm sure London feels the same. Cut the rest of them adrift.

I watched this at the time, and frankly was horrified!

At the height of the flegs protests in 2012, we had various assorted public representatives uttering the mantra, "This we will maintain!" - a reference to Unionist ascendency. Sorry, we've moved away from this notion of ascendency. But some haven't and it's that culture of trying to maintain the historical culture of feeling superior which has damaged our democracy here.

That is why I plead To my fellow friends for the forthcoming Northern Ireland Assembly Election on Thursday, 2 March 2017:

Use your vote to choose those parties which support human rights and equality as result of Brexit. Your voting is very crucial this time as we choose 90 MLAs instead of previously 108.

You should maximize your vote by using all 5 preference vote from the first to the fifth preference in order to facilitate transfer vote to those parties that support human rights and equality after Brexit. Some of the seat might count to the last preference vote.

Your vote will make a big differences this time as each preference vote will count in the elimination transfer processes. Come out and vote on this Thursday!

Spread this post to your family, friends and working colleagues and anyone else from here!

Ireland needs to unite, Scotland needs to go it alone and that's that. This shit is beyond a joke. I fear for future generations the way this country and the world is now, I really do.

Brexit: EU nationals express panic after Government changes residency rules

'Despite having completed my undergraduate and PhD studies in Scotland, I won't have any rights to stay in the country and pay my 'debt' in taxes to the British society'

Z

EU citizens living in the UK have expressed panic and confusion after it emerged new regulations brought in by the Government allow the Home Office to remove some of them from the country if they do not have a comprehensive sickness insurance (CSI).

A briefing published by a barrister revealed that the Home Office acquired controversial new enforcement powers against EU citizens from 1 February.

It warns EU citizens who are not considered to have a "right of residence", including some students and spouses of UK citizens, could be deported or refused entry back into the UK if they leave if they don't have CSI.

The majority of EU nationals living in the UK are entitled to use the NHS, meaning many do not have the suddenly all-important insurance.

The briefing provoked a wave of panic from European nationals residing in the UK. Dozens of people posted comments on a link to the article shared on a Facebook page for the campaign group the 3 Million.

“I’m scared," one person said simply, while another expressed confusion, saying: “It raises more questions than answers."

Among those expressing concern were a number of European mature students studying in the UK, as well as spouses of British citizens who are not in work — all of whom are at risk of being removed from the country under the new regulations.

Speaking to The Independent, Sylvia Gawron, a Polish national who studied at Dundee University and has just finished a PhD, said: “Throughout my time as a student I was not aware of the requirement for CSI. I've just been told to go and register with the nearest GP by the university. 

“Despite having completed my undergraduate and PhD studies in Scotland, I won't have any rights to stay in the country and pay my 'debt' in taxes to the British society for allowing me to gain my education here.

“I feel like EU citizens are now treated as a second class citizens   nobody cares about our rights, our families and those who depend on us. We have been left in limbo wondering what is going to happen to our futures here.”

And Andrea Blendl, a German PhD student in Scotland, said: “Reading through the briefing document this morning was a huge shock. I have no CSI, so the Home Office would consider me not to have a right of residence.

"I was never made aware of the CSI requirement and my university could not give me any guidance, either. 

“According to the briefing document, if I leave and re-enter the UK, I might commit a criminal offence against the Immigration Act.

"This issue is particularly concerning for me, as I am supposed to travel to Sweden for a workshop on Wednesday and obviously don’t want to commit a crime upon my return to the UK. I find this situation very scary.”

The barrister who wrote the briefing, Colin Yeo of Garden Court Chambers in London, said he believed the changes would not have as serious an impact as feared, but that the Home Office was being “careless” in granting itself such powers in the updated regulations.

He accused the Home Office of causing “unnecessary panic” to EU citizens. He told The Independent: “According to the new regulations, if you are perfectly self-sufficient in the UK and you’re not claiming benefits or anything like that, but you don’t have comprehensive sickness insurance, you don’t have a right of residence and therefore you could be removed.  “I don’t actually think the Home Office is going to enforce this against say, the French wife of a British citizen. I think they’re using it against people they don’t like, like Polish rough sleepers.

“The position of a Polish homeless person who hasn’t committed any criminal offences or claimed public funds is exactly the same as the wife of a British banker but doesn’t have CSI, according to the regulations. They’re both equally removable as far as the Home Office is concerned.

“I think they’ve drawn it up without really realising the power they’ve granted themselves and the way that it’s going to make people feel, because this is going to make people feel very insecure.”

Nicolas Hatton, founder of the 3 Million, told The Independent the unannounced changes and the wave of anxiety that had followed was a “dangerous” sign about the Government's approach to the rights of EU citizens.

“The recent changes that have been highlighted are a sign of the continued bureaucracy surrounding EU citizens’ rights in the UK with the approach of Brexit,” Mr Hatton said.

“We’re not seeing a change in strategy or in the Home Office’s approach. The changes to regulations on 1 February fit into the same vein as what has happened in the last seven years. It’s very dangerous.

“The anxiety levels among EU citizens are really high. It’s been going on for too long. Some people are really struggling to cope with the situation. That’s why the reaction to these changes is so strong. People have been living through this for eight months now.

“Theresa May has got no credibility among EU citizens, because she’s using us as bargaining chips and she’s not considering the human life behind the numbers. She’s just seeing three million people as one big number with which she can negotiate Brexit.”

It comes amid reports that Ms May is to end rights given to EU nationals under freedom of movement rules when she triggers Article 50 next month, which would establish a “cut-off date” of around 15 March after which EU citizens would not be entitled to live in the UK permanently.

It is unclear if the Government’s plan would be a breach of the EU treaties that guarantee freedom of movement.

Under the plan, the 3.6 million EU citizens who are already in Britain and others who come before that date would have their rights protected — providing the EU agreed to the same status for UK citizens living in the EU.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/europe/brexit-latest-eu-national-right-to-live-uk-theresa-may-panic-a7602191.html

On 26/2/2017 at 2:21 PM, pjcowley said:

Thing is... not all of the adorable British people want to be out because during that fucking referendum NOT a majority of British citizens were granted right to vote, and not all of them did cast their vote. Look at the numbers. The "the will of British people" is a fat stinky gigantic LIE fed by a bunch of irresponsible individuals, who are stuck on a retrograde British Empire idea because that's what they believe they can get the country back to with their ill-informed ignorant slogans.

Oh and the hatred the brexiter cunts have propelled, mostly was and continue to be addressed against Europeans.

true.But, whereas in the US, for example, we see people against trump all the time, I don´t remember seeing this from these people that are against the brexit.any huge march? any concert? any something?

Actually @promise to try there have been big marches and protests after the result, and there are further major ones being planned that will take place in less than a month. Now, whether these have been broadcasted or are going to be shown by the BBC or ITV or Channel 4 or any major international news broadcasting channel, that is a different story and probably the reason why it may seem to an external eye that those against Brexit are less vocal than people against Trump for example. Best not to compare two different SHIT situations from either side of the Atlantic. After all, what have non-Trump supporters achieved so far?

3 hours ago, pjcowley said:

Actually @promise to try there have been big marches and protests after the result, and there are further major ones being planned that will take place in less than a month. Now, whether these have been broadcasted or are going to be shown by the BBC or ITV or Channel 4 or any major international news broadcasting channel, that is a different story and probably the reason why it may seem to an external eye that those against Brexit are less vocal than people against Trump for example. Best not to compare two different SHIT situations from either side of the Atlantic. After all, what have non-Trump supporters achieved so far?

nothing, and a lot: all the world knows that Trump is not loved by all the USA, that half of the voters hate him.On the other hand, I don´t know what do a lot of people, famous british people think about bthe brexit. And I remember knowing if they wanted scotland to stay with them or not.

Of course it may be related with the media,but I think we, EU, would be really happy about marches and a lot of actions that show us that a lot of people are against the brexit in the US. Of course, we have seen that, but not in the level of the xcottish referendum or again, the anti trump movements

37 minutes ago, karbatal said:

And sometimes you can't do nothing. 

It's like that

Unless some spark ignites the whole gunpowder, you have to sit down and wait. 

Isn't it happening the same in Spain now? 

spain has changed a lot!people talking about the monarchy on the TV!!! my father had a trial in the 80s for saying things against the monarchy! things that everybodys is saying now!!

a big new political party!

people talking freely about GAL in the parliament!

Catalunya trying to become independet without using weapons!

The powers of the spanish state working against that, but people saying feely that this is happening!

a huge political party like the PSOE having huge internal problems to see which road to follow, but this time, instead of having a puppet like other times, there is a man that can change the party, and has a lot of supporters!

The pp seems to be very calmed...because they won!! the if they can´t govern the next time, all hell will brake loose! in fact, there have been a few problems between the old school ones and the younger generations...

so yes, spain has changed

@promise to try Plenty goes unreported by media corporations such as the BBC, biggest Tory-agenda pushing twat of them all. I think the action of a single woman like Gina Miller for example, speaks louder than any demonstration concert which usually leads to nothing afterwards (see the womensmarch). Check her out, and check all the shtick she got for what she did in view of her Brexit challenge, including death threats. Plenty of info you can find online of demonstrations and actions taken to make sense of the non-sense caused by each and every single person who advocated for and voted for Brexit. Remainers are not silent, currently not being represented by anyone loud and strong enough to shut that fucking horrid ugly witch and her equally horrid chums up, but this whole Brexit saga ain't over.

1 hour ago, pjcowley said:

@promise to try Plenty goes unreported by media corporations such as the BBC, biggest Tory-agenda pushing twat of them all. I think the action of a single woman like Gina Miller for example, speaks louder than any demonstration concert which usually leads to nothing afterwards (see the womensmarch). Check her out, and check all the shtick she got for what she did in view of her Brexit challenge, including death threats. Plenty of info you can find online of demonstrations and actions taken to make sense of the non-sense caused by each and every single person who advocated for and voted for Brexit. Remainers are not silent, currently not being represented by anyone loud and strong enough to shut that fucking horrid ugly witch and her equally horrid chums up, but this whole Brexit saga ain't over.

Don´t get me wrong, I´m sure that millions of britons are against the brexit, but we don´t see them in the media as much as we used to when the scottish thing. And I think the famous people against the brexit should use their fame to make this clear.Because sometimes is very easy to forget it, and see the UK except scotland as a country that don´t like us, but wants to have the same rights that we have in our own countries

5 minutes ago, promise to try said:

Don´t get me wrong, I´m sure that millions of britons are against the brexit, but we don´t see them in the media as much as we used to when the scottish thing. And I think the famous people against the brexit should use their fame to make this clear.Because sometimes is very easy to forget it, and see the UK except scotland as a country that don´t like us, but wants to have the same rights that we have in our own countries

You know what?

Perhaps people in Europe, if they are against the UK leaving the EU maybe THEY should start raising their voice too at this point, how about that? Joined forces, united against the Brexit catastrophe with the Leavers in the UK.

And here is someone famous who is not afraid to say what he means:

I have read a lot about people being angry and protesting against Brexit.  Unfortunately some of the commentary is the usual calling them " elite liberals"  etc but that is what you get from the Murdoch style press that seems to have too much say in the World.  Anti Brexit and Anti Trump sentiment is becoming known and discussed more each day as people are speaking out more.  

It is also a scary sign of the times when John Major and George Bush are talking sense as they correctly expose Teresa May and Trump's policies and show some moral and ethical strength. .  Shows just how right wing and revolting the current ideology and governments are. 

1 hour ago, pjcowley said:

You know what?

Perhaps people in Europe, if they are against the UK leaving the EU maybe THEY should start raising their voice too at this point, how about that? Joined forces, united against the Brexit catastrophe with the Leavers in the UK.

And here is someone famous who is not afraid to say what he means:

hopefully they will do something! but I doubt it.I may br wrong, but usually this type of things start in the uk...and the continent´s fampus people is not as famous as the ones in the UK, well, probabvly the football players are, but we know most of them don´t have half a brain

43 minutes ago, jazzyjan said:

I have read a lot about people being angry and protesting against Brexit.  Unfortunately some of the commentary is the usual calling them " elite liberals"  etc but that is what you get from the Murdoch style press that seems to have too much say in the World.  Anti Brexit and Anti Trump sentiment is becoming known and discussed more each day as people are speaking out more.  

It is also a scary sign of the times when John Major and George Bush are talking sense as they correctly expose Teresa May and Trump's policies and show some moral and ethical strength. .  Shows just how right wing and revolting the current ideology and governments are

Absolutely! Well said, thank you :clap:

It serves you right, bunch of imbeciles. Should've done your own independent research instead of trusting the bogus words of a group of ruthless, divisive, racist LIARS like those Leave-campaigner assholes:

Cornwall wanted guarantees it wouldn't lose £60m EU funding after Brexit, but the Government turned it down

'The current process forces Cornwall to compete for investment with more affluent places such as London, Birmingham, Bristol and the South East'

9k=

The Government heard Cornwall's plea for tens of millions of pounds to replace EU economic investment after Brexit—and turned it down.

Last year the county sought "urgent confirmation" that the £60m funding it received annually from Europe would not be lost when the UK departs the EU, as the council said it had been assured by Leave campaigners.

The Department for Communities and Local Government (DCLG) has awarded the region £18m in its latest round of "growth deal" investment. Julian German, Cornwall Council's member for economy, said it fell "far short" of what was needed despite an "ambitious bid for funding".

The area's local enterprise partnership (LEP), a joint venture between the council and industry, "will be forced to reduce the investment it was hoping to make in Cornish businesses," Mr German added.

European money has helped develop infrastructure, universities and broadband internet in the county. From 2007 to 2013, it received €654m for the projects.

Cornwall, which has a population of just 530,000 people, voted resoundingly to leave the EU, with an above-average 56.52 per cent opting for Leave compared to 43.48 per cent voting for Remain.

"Whatever your views on the referendum, we are about to go off a cliff," Labour councillor Tim Dwelly told i.

Mr German added: "The current process forces Cornwall to compete for investment with more affluent places such as London, Birmingham, Bristol and the South East. It takes no account of our low earnings, poverty and rurality."

A DCLG spokesman said: "This Government has backed Cornwall with major powers and resources in the first devolution deal for a county.

"Each bid for growth funding was individually assessed against a range of criteria, including the LEPs’ strategy for local growth, the strength of private sector partnerships and investment, and also past delivery record.

"There was a great amount of interest and as a result the fund was more than three times over-subscribed, with £5.9bn-worth of bids submitted."

Cornwall and the Scilly Isles' award of £18.03m was part of £191m handed out across the south-west. Dorset received £19.46m and Gloucestershire £29.13m.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/cornwall-lose-eu-funding-uk-government-replace-brexit-latest-dclg-request-down-julian-german-a7603921.html

19 hours ago, jazzyjan said:

It is also a scary sign of the times when John Major and George Bush are talking sense as they correctly expose Teresa May and Trump's policies and show some moral and ethical strength. .  Shows just how right wing and revolting the current ideology and governments are. 

I think it's quite the opposite. It's a clear sign of how much the democrats changed their policies and agenda since the mid 90's closer to the traditional republican party. If we analyse the past 10 years we can clearly see a pattern here where the democrats basically did the same or intensified the republican agenda on foreign affairs. No wonder that now Bush is on the same boat as Obama.

Just now, Nessie said:

I think it's quite the opposite. It's a clear sign of how much the democrats changed their policies and agenda since the mid 90's closer to the traditional republican party. If we analyse the past 10 years we can clearly see a pattern here where the democrats basically did the same or intensified the republican agenda on foreign affairs. No wonder that now Bush is on the same boat as Obama.

Agree with you but I think it is both scenarios because the right have definitely become more right wing.  Was having this discussion with my brother today.  I know it is a different country but the same pattern is happening world wide. I was saying that Malcolm Fraser ( once our PM and leader of the conservative government ) now seems moderate when we look back  but in reality the conservatives today have become MORE right wing thus making him look moderate.  It is very frightening how easily extreme right ideology has become the normal in politics worldwide.  The opposition parties need to wake up, take their blinkers off and get back to what they stand for, instead of becoming a less dangerous version of the government. 

11 minutes ago, jazzyjan said:

Agree with you but I think it is both scenarios because the right have definitely become more right wing.  Was having this discussion with my brother today.  I know it is a different country but the same pattern is happening world wide. I was saying that Malcolm Fraser ( once our PM and leader of the conservative government ) now seems moderate when we look back  but in reality the conservatives today have become MORE right wing thus making him look moderate.  It is very frightening how easily extreme right ideology has become the normal in politics worldwide.  The opposition parties need to wake up, take their blinkers off and get back to what they stand for, instead of becoming a less dangerous version of the government. 

I absolutely agree with you. The world is becoming overall more extremist in both left and right wings, something we have not seen since the 1930's. The once opposing traditional left and right parties are now weaker and in many ways undistinguished, giving space to really powerful far-left or far-right ideologies. Dangerous times lies ahead when the middle ground is blurrier and the current opposing parties are so devoid of dialogue.