BREXIT / British Politics thread

XXL

Public transport in London, particularly CityThameslink and Overground, is a gigantic pathetic mess: delays, cancellations, excuses for failing to run efficiently and on time are the norm. If transports were cheap that would be kinda understandable, but quality and price are hardly a good match in the capital... Since those filthy Tories came to power rail prices have gone obscenely up, yet the services provided falls down to shit faster than one can blurt out SHITTY TORIES.

On 04/01/2017 at 8:49 AM, karbatal said:

This video made me wonder. It's being critisised by laborists because they think it's very Ukip-esque. But to be fair, it's incredibly leftie and on point. What do you think ?

I think it's very good and certainly gives you a wider idea of the actual problem with the train service in the U.K. But go show it to the conservatives and nationalists and will probably accuse you to be anti British or tell you to go buy a car. The average English person has become extremely ignorant and yes the rise of populism in this country have become something of a nightmare. The Leavers, Brexiters or how you want to call them are a big example. I don't think it's very UKIP though. Yes UKIP wants to give the impression that England has become a laughing stock in Europe or in the world in general so that that will incite people to tough up and become racist and supremacists. It's a strategy a lot of our well known politicians use; self rededule and self shame: "Look we have become a laughing stock!"; "Abroad they think we are stupid!"; "Theyre  taking us for idiots!", etc.. We all know the score there... 

1 hour ago, pjcowley said:

Public transport in London, particularly CityThameslink and Overground, is a gigantic pathetic mess: delays, cancellations, excuses for failing to run efficiently and on time are the norm. If transports were cheap that would be kinda understandable, but quality and price are hardly a good match in the capital... Since those filthy Tories came to power rail prices have gone obscenely up, yet the services provided falls down to shit faster than one can blurt out SHITTY TORIES.

Yes but that's the EUs fault. It's the immigrants fault! Obviously being sarcastic here... :rolleyes:

This video made me wonder. It's being critisised by laborists because they think it's very Ukip-esque. But to be fair, it's incredibly leftie and on point. What do you think ?

I think it's totally on point. Most Labour politicians are no different than the Tories at this point, they're even more hostile to genuine left wing politics than the Tories themselves.

4 hours ago, madonnasuperfan01 said:

I think it's totally on point. Most Labour politicians are no different than the Tories at this point, they're even more hostile to genuine left wing politics than the Tories themselves.

Very very true. Honestly I've come to a point where I can't stand any politicians and political party no matter which side they're on. Labour is a mess.. the Tories are acting like tyrants and the rise of far right parties like UKIP is dangerously scary. One of my closest friends has even decided to register with EDL. I was so upset... I spent hours to make him understand it's a racist white supremacist organisation but he's just too angry at everything. It's sad to witness such a huge division and ignorance especially right at your front door. I think this country and its people needs to wake up asap. I sense a lot of Americas must feel the same with Trump in power now. 

3 hours ago, MeakMaker said:

Very very true. Honestly I've come to a point where I can't stand any politicians and political party no matter which side they're on. Labour is a mess.. the Tories are acting like tyrants and the rise of far right parties like UKIP is dangerously scary. One of my closest friends has even decided to register with EDL. I was so upset... I spent hours to make him understand it's a racist white supremacist organisation but he's just too angry at everything. It's sad to witness such a huge division and ignorance especially right at your front door. I think this country and its people needs to wake up asap. I sense a lot of Americas must feel the same with Trump in power now. 

Exactly. The world is becoming more and more unfair and there's a LOT of angry people who know there's a problem but haven't been able to identify it for what it is, so they vote for far right extremists who will only make things WAY worse in the future. There's nothing more dangerous than people who are both angry AND ignorant, America is indeed going to pay the price for it with Trump. I just hope it won't be too late to fix it in the future.

We are ALL going to pay the price for the decision made by FEW ignorant degenerate assholes who have elected their respective degenerate assholes.

Did ALL of the British citizens vote on that pathetic referendum called Brexit last year??! No they did not. Wasn't 72% the total turnout? Media and politicians alike kept the same phrase like a broken record in the following months: "... we must respect the will of British people, Brexit mean Brexit.." A 72% turnout is NOT ALL British citizens considering also that some British expats who had lived and worked in the EU for a number of years for example apparently were not allowed to cast their vote on this fucking referendum. Brexit happened by the will of FEW IGNORANT assholes, not all British people.

Brexshit and Dump's election in America opened a gigantic can of filthy stinky worms.

Seems like a very strange way for them to get their point across, and of course it would be jumped upon by the xenophobes to twist it, it's easily done. It does look like the rest of mighty Europe (as represented by those actors) is sticking their tongue out at how dumb the Brexiters were at not even understanding the basic concepts of what they were supposedly rallying against. Which while true, still paints the other side as just being smug and nothing more.

The only party even considering re-nationalisation of the railways are (once again) the SNP anyway, now they have the power to actually do it. Certainly not Labour, which is just a right wing party led by a left wing lame duck now anyway.

SHAME ON YOU CUNTS for sitting back and allowing this to happen.

SAVE THE NHS!!!

'The worst conditions in memory': NHS doctors describe a week in A&E

‘We are devastated by underemployment’

It’s been like an absolute war zone recently. The government at the moment, not to mention my regulatory bodies, are ignoring the worst hospital conditions in my memory. We have a brilliant team, but are devastated by underemployment and underinvestment. We have two permanent registrars on a rota of seven places.

On a recent shift, I walked in to patients waiting four and a half hours to see a doctor. This means every patient has failed the “breach” target by the time they’re seen.

A diligent staff nurse asked me to take a look at a patient she was “a bit worried about”. The woman was devastatingly ill with a perforated bowel, and could have easily become fatally unwell. She survived thanks to the observational diligence of my colleague, and later our excellent surgical team.

The London ambulance service is similarly overwhelmed. They couldn’t provide me with a transfer ambulance for another emergency case, an 11-year-old with a sight-threatening infection, in less than 70 minutes. The target is eight minutes. It is a miracle the child didn’t lose an eye.

‘Nothing can be done’

Our hospital is crumbling and is unsafe on a daily basis. On Thursday, there were 75 patients in a department that has 18 majors’ beds. Thirty-five of those were medical patients awaiting beds, 20 hadn’t been seen as there was nowhere to see them or no staff to triage them.

We have expressed our concerns verbally, via formal emails to trust, incident reports etc, but nothing can be done as it can’t elsewhere either. Medical professionals are talking about quitting as they believe soon someone will die on our watch … [It is] completely out of control. Maybe it has already happened and we just don’t know. I’m talking about a cohort of 11 doctors. God knows what people feel nationally. It scares me what we are heading for.

When a family member got admitted last weekend I panicked, not because it was that serious but I actually felt they may not be safe in hospital.

I am angry that it is being ignored and swept under the carpet. I am angry that we are left to pick up the pieces and apologise for a system we’ve put our hearts and souls into, but now have no control over.

‘It’s not acceptable to practise medicine in this way’

This past week in A&E has been horrendous. There are no beds in this busy teaching hospital. There are more than 20 patients queueing in the corridor at any given time. We’re seeing, treating and discharging patients in the queue. It’s undignified to ask a miscarrying pregnant woman about her blood loss in a queue, never mind in one filled with loud drunks. It’s just not acceptable to have to practise medicine in this way, but what choice do we have?

Patients in the queue have a substandard quality of care. Fact. So much for calling 999 in an emergency, then waiting an age for the crew to arrive because they’re all waiting in the corridors of A&E to unload patients. Even once you arrive at the department with said emergency, you’ll be waiting hours for any sort of assessment or treatment.

My collusion in this depravity is solely in an attempt to keep my patients as safe as possible, but mistakes are being made and this is not sustainable.

‘We were truly swamped’

I was on call at night for the last week at a small district general hospital. We had to put the hospital on divert. There were 15 ambulances waiting for entry and consultants doing their assessments in the back of them. On surgery, despite phenomenal work from the registrar on call, we were truly swamped. 

‘These are just some of my experiences this week in A&E ...’

A four-bedded resuscitation unit expected to make capacity for eight patients; leaving a shift to come back 24 hours later and finding some of the same patients still in resus; being in charge of the emergency department [ED] overnight with rota gaps; and requesting a divert for a few hours to allow us to catch up, only to be told that the policy has changed and capacity issues now had to be dealt with internally.

‘Everybody is terrified’

In the accident and emergency department where I work, there is provision to keep up to 12 people overnight in case the wards are too full. On Tuesday night there were 27 sick patients all requiring hospital treatment who were kept on corridors and in the laundry room, being cared for by three nurses and one doctor.

It’s normal at the moment for 20 to be there overnight. We are having to send patients home we would rather admit, with little to no access to social care.

Everybody is terrified. Everybody is waiting for something terrible to happen, because no matter how hard you work, there are too many cracks that are widening for patients to slip through. Stafford is where everything went down a few years ago.

It seems the same situation is now happening on a nationwide level. I hope desperately that nobody I love or care about needs to be admitted to hospital right now. I just can’t believe how bad it is compared with last year.

‘The entire system is crumbling’

There are not enough staff and 12 ambulances regularly sitting in the corridor. There are designated corridor nurses. In this ED the patients can wait for eight hours. The emergencies do get seen first, as do the strokes, and the triage nurses pull the sickest out the corridor but sometimes they are seen in the corridor. A consultant is designated for the corridor to ensure safety.

A consultant has been staying overnight often lately due to the safety concerns, but that is unsustainable and they are burning out. No one is bothered about breaches any more, it’s the 12-hour trolley waits because the CCG [clinical commissioning group] has to know then and trust board get involved.

The entire system is crumbling. On New Year’s Eve our hospital asked for a divert when the wait was eight and a half hours with only 14 ambulances left on the roads in Merseyside. This is not uncommon. The divert was denied because the wait was not the longest, and every other department was in the same situation.

‘We have a daily lack of beds’

I’m a registrar in one of the busiest emergency departments in the country. This past week saw our busiest day on record with nearly 200 people waiting in our department at one point. There was a five-hour wait just to be seen, and a 14-hour wait for beds.

I have people queuing to get a space in resuscitation and it regularly becomes dangerous. We have a daily lack of beds due to poor flow of patients out of hospital backing up to the emergency department. Patients are coming to harm and there are undoubtedly deaths arising from the current state of emergency medicine.

^ Disgusting.  Public health and public education are never a priority of the Right Wing governments and the sooner people realise that as the fact it is, the better chance they have of fighting to change it.  

They're too busy complaining that EU regulations meant their bananas weren't bendy enough. Too busy proclaiming how they've "taken baaack our country"... while the real issues get ignored as usual.

And this DELIBERATE UNDER-FUNDING of the NHS is nothing but a way to systematically dismantle and privatise it. Shame on them!

Come on the NHS/health budget has increased from £50bn 15 years ago to £140bn now, 175% increase ( since 2010 spending has increased by £25bn so the government is investing in the area) If more money is spent the country will just enter semi bankruptcy as we run out time on our debt and where will the NHS be then? It will no longer be free everyone will have to pay for everything on a day to day basis and the standards will collapse. People are using the NHS when they shouldn't or don't need to, e.g. alcohol related injuries in a&e, getting free prescriptions when they don't need them. People need to take more responsibility for themselves and help care for elderly relatives so not to increase the strain on the NHS. There is no more money and even with the increased spending being introduced if it's not used responsibly the health service will continue to struggle along till large change is enforced to make it more efficient.

7 minutes ago, kangarooz said:

Come on the NHS/health budget has increased from £50bn 15 years ago to £140bn now, 175% increase ( since 2010 spending has increased by £25bn so the government is investing in the area) If more money is spent the country will just enter semi bankruptcy as we run out time on our debt and where will the NHS be then? It will no longer be free everyone will have to pay for everything on a day to day basis and the standards will collapse. People are using the NHS when they shouldn't or don't need to, e.g. alcohol related injuries in a&e, getting free prescriptions when they don't need them. People need to take more responsibility for themselves and help care for elderly relatives so not to increase the strain on the NHS. There is no more money and even with the increased spending being introduced if it's not used responsibly the health service will continue to struggle along till large change is enforced to make it more efficient.

Typical vile Tory rhetoric. You forgot to add the part about the immigrants coming over and using the NHS when they're not entitled to it too,

Once Grandpappy's (who YOU'LL be looking after no doubt) private hospital ferries him over to the nearest NHS one so that real doctors can work on him, and he's left lying on a trolley in a corridor for 12 hours, maybe you'll change your tune then.

The chronic under funding and chronic wastage going on in the NHS IS the Govt's responsibility, and they're NOT dealing with it effectively as they continue to privatise key sectors. And yes, standards have already collapsed, and the whole point is to make sure that it WON'T be free to future generations thanks to people like you simply standing back and crowing about there being "no more money". Give me strength.

The first thing they should do is put a penny income tax on dumb people...then watch the money roll in.

10 minutes ago, Kim said:

Typical vile Tory rhetoric. You forgot to add the part about the immigrants coming over and using the NHS when they're not entitled to it too,

Once Grandpappy's (who YOU'LL be looking after no doubt) private hospital ferries him over to the nearest NHS one so that real doctors can work on him, and he's left lying on a trolley in a corridor for 12 hours, maybe you'll change your tune then.

The chronic under funding and chronic wastage going on in the NHS IS the Govt's responsibility, and they're NOT dealing with it effectively as they continue to privatise key sectors. And yes, standards have already collapsed, and the whole point is to make sure that it WON'T be free to future generations thanks to people like you simply standing back and crowing about there being "no more money". Give me strength.

The first thing they should do is put a penny income tax on dumb people...then watch the money roll in.

This. You nailed it completely Kim.

On the contary the NHS wouldn't exist if it wasn't for foreign workers, they are the backbone of the service and have been for decades so you can forget about labelling me as 'vile'. So where is all this extra money comping from, taxing the rich that will then move abroad, a new poll tax so we all pay more and everyone kicks off ? Out of the entire health budget £8.7bn is going to private institutions, and there has been private involded thoughout Labour governments to. The government can only do so much but if people won't pay more taxes or use the service better it can't survive. There is no easy options/answers but no one has yet come up with a solotuion that ensure the NHS is in a position of strength now and in the future.

30 minutes ago, kangarooz said:

Do you read Katy Hopkins columns on the Daily Mail? Sounds like a copy and paste of her mantra. 

For one unlike her I don't just make things up, I'm just using the factual information to give some balance to the thread 

A national health service is for everyone, regardless of need. Why are certain people so arrogant and so self-entitled to regard what is needed and what is not needed whenever it comes to medical assistance in the UK for fuck sake? Who the fuck are you to decide on a person's well being? Who the hell do you think you are??

41 minutes ago, kangarooz said:

For one unlike her I don't just make things up, I'm just using the factual information to give some balance to the thread 

Firstly, your figures are off by about 20bn. Also you're actually giving credence to the thread by rightfully asking WHY there's been such a spending increase in the space of 15 years (nothing like MANY other countries though) and yet the health service is approaching a, to quote the Red Cross, "humanitarian crisis". The answer does not lie in too many alkies using A&E and too many Joe Bloggs' getting a free prescription for paracetamol. It lies in systematic wastage, funding for the NHS coming FROM cuts to public health and medical training. Instead of investing in long term reform and innovation, it's a case of time and money being expended on reorganisation, backroom structures, and target-led cost-cutting that affects the front line.

And yes, it's about time that the sacred cow of income tax was dealt with directly instead of successive governments being too scared to just bite that bullet then finding their savings through sneaky stealth taxes later on down the line. 2p on income tax at least.

51 minutes ago, Kim said:

1 minute ago, pjcowley said:

A national health service is for everyone, regardless of need. Why are certain people so arrogant and so self-entitled to regard what is needed and what is not needed whenever it comes to medical assistance in the UK for fuck sake? Who the fuck are you to decide on a person's well being? Who the hell do you think you are??

it is sad when people feel that sick and elderly people have a price on them and what it will cost the rich and taxpayers.  I gladly pay taxes so that all people can be assured of health. education and essential services. If you want five star special treatment,   you then pay extra to go to private hospitals or be educated in private schools.  I work in emergency services and know for a fact how under-appreciated, over-worked and under-payed staff is across the board.  It is always worse when conservatives are in power because they are obsessed with blaming the everyday people with spiralling budgets etc while the rich and corporate sectors moan about paying taxes. 

My figures are from a database which I believe came from the national office for statistics originally. Alcohol related hospital admissions have risen 115% over 10 years, while 48% of a&e admissions are discharged with no treatment or advise only. While some of this figure includes people who should have rightly gone have gone to a&e if they had symptons suggesting something potentially harmful; it still shows millions of people are going the hospitals unnecessarily which is causing a lot of the problems that have been seen in recent years. This is where a lot of the extra funding has dissapeared to, it's not a simple case of right/left wing governments as there are problems whoever is in charge. The workers undoubtly do their best and should be praised but it stills all comes down to cost, the NHS was conceived in a time of great need when life expectancy was around 65, more money and invested  is required somehow for the uk  but no one can agree who should pay or what excatky is needed. 

On ‎13‎/‎01‎/‎2017 at 0:35 AM, LSD said:

Sickening

They should have Boris Johnson tour those hospitals, but I am sure that wouldn't prove any more useful than having him occupy precious space with his clownish unfunny act at the Foreign Office. Once again Noam Chomsky making a lot of sense

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-politics-38628428

The UK may be forced to change its "economic model" if it is locked out of the single market after Brexit, Chancellor Philip Hammond has said.

Mr Hammond said the government would not "lie down" and would "do whatever we have to do" to remain competitive.

He had been asked by a German newspaper if the UK could become a "tax haven" by further lowering corporation tax.

Labour's Jeremy Corbyn said his comments sounded like "a recipe for some kind of trade war with Europe"

:scared:

https://www.ft.com/content/a784c270-db55-11e6-86ac-f253db7791c6

Jeremy Hunt set to make millions from sale of education business

Potential embarrassment looms for health secretary during NHS funding crisis

Jeremy-Hunt-is-set-to-recieve-an-astonis

Jeremy Hunt is set to receive millions of pounds from the sale of his education business, at a time when the National Health Service that he oversees is facing a severe funding crisis. The contrast in fortunes is potentially embarrassing for the health secretary, who suffered a bruising conflict with junior doctors last year over changes to their pay and working conditions.

Hotcourses, a listings website that Mr Hunt co-founded and ran before becoming an MP, is close to a sale, according to people familiar with the matter. Sky News, which first reported on the sale, said that the business would be bought by an Australasian company for between £30m and £35m. That would value Mr Hunt’s 47.7 per cent stake at more than £14m.

A person close to Mr Hunt said that no deal had been completed and that the health secretary had no involvement over the timing of any sale. Hotcourses came close to a sale in 2013 for a similar price, but no deal resulted.

Mr Hunt has faced acute political criticism this year, after leaked figures showed that accident and emergency units are failing to meet the target of treating patients within four hours of their arrival.

Simon Stevens, chief executive of NHS England, said: “There are clearly very substantial [financial] pressures and it does not help anybody to try to pretend that there aren’t.” The Treasury has refused calls for more funding.

In a Survation poll published on Sunday, 55 per cent of the public said that the NHS had declined since 2007, and net satisfaction with Mr Hunt’s performance was minus 15 per cent. However, more respondents trusted Theresa May, the prime minister, than Labour leader Jeremy Corbyn to tackle the issue.

Mr Hunt is a cabinet survivor having outlasted last year’s junior doctor’s strike and a previous controversy, during his time as culture secretary, over his adviser’s close relationship with a lobbyist for Rupert Murdoch’s News Corp.

In his latest registrar, Mr Hunt declared to hold only 15 per cent of shares in the education company, but documents from Companies House, the UK's registrar of companies, reveal he actually holds 48 per cent of shares enabling him to receive an astonishing £16.8 million from the windfall.

The sale will make Mr Hunt the wealthiest member of the Cabinet, overtaking Chancellor Philip Hammond who is worth an estimated £8.2 million.

Previously known as Elms Hunt International, Hotcourses has had a well-connected board, including the former public relations executive Lord Chadlington and the late television presenter Sir David Frost.

It recorded revenues of £10.6m and pre-tax profits of £2.7m in 2015, the last year for which financial information is available. That generated dividends of about £850,000 for Mr Hunt, who stood down as a director in 2009. His other declared financial interests are a half-share in a holiday home in Italy and in an office building in Hammersmith, London.

Jeremy-Hunt-leaving-his-expensive-home-7

http://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/fashion/theresa-may-vogue-us-spread-fashion-style-first-uk-prime-minister-a7529061.html

Theresa May to feature in Vogue US spread becoming the first UK Prime Minister to do so

The PM will feature in the April issue of the respected fashion title

_93579857_may_comp.jpg

Theresa May will feature in a spread for the esteemed fashion magazine Vogue, Downing Street has confirmed. 

The Prime Minister will feature in the upcoming April issue in a spread shot by the respected fashion photographer Annie Leibovitz.

The longtime editor of the US title, Anna Wintour, was recently made a dame in the New Years Honours.

_93579856_shoes_may_ap.jpg

Ms Leibowitz – who is known for her empowering portraits of women – has previously shot Michelle Obama and Hillary Clintonfor the title. Last year, she photographed the Queen and the Royal Family to mark the monarch’s 90th birthday celebrations. 

Ms May’s affection for the publication has been made known before when she told BBC Radio 4's Desert Island Discs she would take a lifetime’s subscription of the magazine as her luxury item.

While the UK’s only other female Prime Minister Margaret Thatcher was photographed on four occasions for British Vogue, Ms May is the only PM to feature in the US title.

However, the Prime Minister’s penchant for fashion has, on occasion, prompted controversy. Last year, she was criticised by former education secretary Nicky Morgan, who she fired when she took over from David Cameron, for wearing leather trousers which cost £995 for a magazine spread.

Downing Street denied the shoot was scheduled to coincide with her first meeting with the President-elect Donald Trump.

“The long-planned shoot for US Vogue will come out in April,” a Number 10 spokesman told the Press Association.