BREXIT / British Politics thread

XXL

You know, I can't believe it's been 71 years since the end of WW2 and yet here we are having a very dysfunctional Europe on multiple fronts and what is supposedly an opposition to an indeed faulty overly-bureaucratic centralised "economic" system is turning into a fight that's menacing to dismember a country such as the UK, of all countries. Laughing to keep from crying.

Meanwhile we have Russia being put into a corner, Syria and the general IS situation in the Middle East used as a proxy instrument, China threatening to push a dead man switch on the dollar and the ugly truth that an ever increasing amount of power, control and resources is getting devolved from the bottom to the very top, while people are getting distracted and caught up in the most superficial elements of a bigger picture at play

6 hours ago, XXL said:

Well to be fair, the FT, of all outlets, is one of the most anti-brexit warriors among media circles. They have a so-called globalist agenda. What the author of the article is saying imo is that if a regional parliament of one of the current 28 member states can block a transcontinental deal that's been 7 years in the making, Britain on its own and outside of the single market has no hopes to stipulate 27 different trade deals or any deal with any other given country or economic block in the world.

Personally I am against this CETA, TTIP and the Trans Pacific deal because they just hand more power to multinationals, flood Europe with dangerous Monsanto GMOed poisonous "food", completely deregulate health and security standards, not to mention the increasing control and invasion of privacy and last but not least a continued impoverishment and exploitation of the working force. 

6 hours ago, XXL said:

You know, I can't believe it's been 71 years since the end of WW2 and yet here we are having a very dysfunctional Europe on multiple fronts and what is supposedly an opposition to an indeed faulty overly-bureaucratic centralised "economic" system is turning into a fight that's menacing to dismember a country such as the UK, of all countries. Laughing to keep from crying.

Meanwhile we have Russia being put into a corner, Syria and the general IS situation in the Middle East used as a proxy instrument, China threatening to push a dead man switch on the dollar and the ugly truth that an ever increasing amount of power, control and resources is getting devolved from the bottom to the very top, while people are getting distracted and caught up in the most superficial elements of a bigger picture at play

100% agree

On 25/10/2016 at 5:47 PM, XXL said:

....while people are getting distracted and caught up in the most superficial elements of a bigger picture at play

It's staggering how many people go about with their eyes closed and allow themselves to be duped. Hell mend them!

Just watched the European Commissioner for trade on Amanpour discussing CETA. And sorry, this is totally frustrating because Amanpour is asking the wrong questions or her questions are very much working in favor of the mindset of the EU commission. They don't seem to understand or belittle the problems normal people have with those trade agreements. Always highlighting that this brings so many billions of additional revenue and creates tens of thousands of jobs. Assumptions that have been denounced by experts already, saying those numbers are hugely exaggerated. Especially the part with extra jobs. The thing people worry the most, are exactly the reasons why XXL is against CETA and TTIP " ... they just hand more power to multinationals, flood Europe with dangerous Monsanto GMOed poisonous "food", completely deregulate health and security standards, not to mention the increasing control and invasion of privacy and last but not least a continued impoverishment and exploitation of the working force." I would like to add the implementation of those, as I would call them, "private courts" that consist of five people, lawyers that settle lawsuits between foreign investors and sovereign countries. Usually ruling about billions and billions in damages for the loss of profits in case the sovereign country changes certain laws (environment, labour, health, energy etc. - how dare they?) that may interfere with their business. Something that I find unacceptable considering that all European countries are working democracies with working court systems, where disagreements could be handled on the base of existing laws. Not in a hush hush atmosphere in a small room. Who is going to control if all of this is legitimate, especially when those rulings are final and there is no way to appeal. Of course, it's the taxpayers money that is at risk. How dare those taxpayers complain about those treaties in advance? The argument of those in favor of those "private courts" is that it is hypocritical on part of the European countries like Germany that has several trade agreements that have those investment protection clauses. Well, what they don't mention is that those are agreements with countries that are very volatile democracies, always on the brink of a coup. Or they are changing the laws every time the government changes, which might be every five minutes in some countries. And court systems hardly exist. Of course their need to be such clauses. 

As I said, it's very disappointing that Amanpour has no idea about those issues or is badly briefed to confront the interviewee with those things. But what do I expect. Just today CNN had another of those "Brexit - Not so bad afterall" segments. Seriously, how stupid are they. Okay, the last sentence was that the Brexit has not even begun. But then better only report the overall business growth in the UK without mentioning the Brexit at all. Making relations when they are none is changing the narrative completely and devalues the story.

On 25/10/2016 at 4:52 PM, Pud Whacker said:

Morrissey?

I am not surprised :lol:

Doubt though he has any idea of what he's talking about, as with other things he says in general

At the end of the day little changes for millionaires Brexit or No Brexit, EU surviving the mess that it's become or not

But it looks like we might have another global war long before we even get to that infamous triggering of Article 50

1 hour ago, Raider of the lost Ark said:

Just watched the European Commissioner for trade on Amanpour discussing CETA. And sorry, this is totally frustrating because Amanpour is asking the wrong questions or her questions are very much working in favor of the mindset of the EU commission. They don't seem to understand or belittle the problems normal people have with those trade agreements. Always highlighting that this brings so many billions of additional revenue and creates tens of thousands of jobs. Assumptions that have been denounced by experts already, saying those numbers are hugely exaggerated. Especially the part with extra jobs. The thing people worry the most, are exactly the reasons why XXL is against CETA and TTIP " ... they just hand more power to multinationals, flood Europe with dangerous Monsanto GMOed poisonous "food", completely deregulate health and security standards, not to mention the increasing control and invasion of privacy and last but not least a continued impoverishment and exploitation of the working force." I would like to add the implementation of those, as I would call them, "private courts" that consist of five people, lawyers that settle lawsuits between foreign investors and sovereign countries. Usually ruling about billions and billions in damages for the loss of profits in case the sovereign country changes certain laws (environment, labour, health, energy etc. - how dare they?) that may interfere with their business. Something that I find unacceptable considering that all European countries are working democracies with working court systems, where disagreements could be handled on the base of existing laws. Not in a hush hush atmosphere in a small room. Who is going to control if all of this is legitimate, especially when those rulings are final and there is no way to appeal. Of course, it's the taxpayers money that is at risk. How dare those taxpayers complain about those treaties in advance? The argument of those in favor of those "private courts" is that it is hypocritical on part of the European countries like Germany that has several trade agreements that have those investment protection clauses. Well, what they don't mention is that those are agreements with countries that are very volatile democracies, always on the brink of a coup. Or they are changing the laws every time the government changes, which might be every five minutes in some countries. And court systems hardly exist. Of course their need to be such clauses. 

As I said, it's very disappointing that Amanpour has no idea about those issues or is badly briefed to confront the interviewee with those things. But what do I expect. Just today CNN had another of those "Brexit - Not so bad afterall" segments. Seriously, how stupid are they. Okay, the last sentence was that the Brexit has not even begun. But then better only report the overall business growth in the UK without mentioning the Brexit at all. Making relations when they are none is changing the narrative completely and devalues the story.

:thumbsup:

By the way he CETA deal deadlock has been broken by the Belgian government today which means it will go ahead and some are already predicting it could be the backdoor to a merger between the EU block and NAFTA. This deals are basically a gift to Monsanto and the likes who are killing people with their carcinogenic laboratory "food".  Take a gene from a dog and mix it with that of a  plant to create a whole new food and we're going to feed Africa for a penny, right? (As if they cared to feed Africa to begin with, which could be already achieved with the resources that get systematically wasted) Crazy! 

Today we've had the umpteenth report in Italy of farmers protesting against the fact that Italy is being flooded by cheap wheat  (same issue with milk producers - so called EU quotas) from all over the world and that they have to compete with producers who are under no obligation to indicate on the label of their products anything about the quality and provenance of the product itself.

Add to these picture the sanctions against Russia and the retaliatory sanctions of Russia against EU countries who cannot export their food there which has proven to be yet another dumb, ineffective policy of coercing Russia to "back off". (while NATO has been amassing its troops on the Baltic, in the Mediterannean, you name it on a daily basis for months and months) ....

This piece of shit is one of the most famous oncologists in Italy, he has a very well known and well funded campaign against consumption of tobacco, yet he takes money from Monsanto to tell Italian people that GM food is good for their health :abuse:  TTIP; CETA and the transpacific deals are essentially all transnational agreements that will greatly favour this type of tactics

veronesi.jpg

Anyway British politicians who've peddled Brexit as part of an internal party politics struggle, telling 500m people in Europe that it's ok for the UK to reap the benefits of single market access but that they shouldn't be asked to share the downside of freedom of movement like the other club members have to, are still an insult not only to British taxpayers but to all other 27 EU nationalities. 

On 27/10/2016 at 0:16 AM, Kim said:

It's staggering how many people go about with their eyes closed and allow themselves to be duped. Hell mend them!

Indeed

:rotfl:  @  Hell mend them

Guest Pud Whacker
4 hours ago, XXL said:

Morrissey?

I am not surprised :lol:

Doubt though he has any idea of what he's talking about, as with other things he says in general

At the end of the day little changes for millionaires Brexit or No Brexit, EU surviving the mess that it's become or not

But it looks like we might have another global war long before we even get to that infamous triggering of Article 50

He's always been anti establishment. Like Madonna used to be!!! 

5 hours ago, Pud Whacker said:

He's always been anti establishment. Like Madonna used to be!!! 

Boris Johnson is pro Brexit and he is and acts as establishment as it gets. So does Brexit means breakfast Brexit Theresa May. There is nothing anti establishment per se about about wanting in or out of the EU either way :laugh:

And I don't see how Morrissey could be any more anti establishment than Madonna has supposedly ceased to be. He generally sounds and looks more jaded, humourless and unhappy, that's for sure :lol:

Guest Pud Whacker
7 hours ago, XXL said:

Boris Johnson is pro Brexit and he is and acts as establishment as it gets. So does Brexit means breakfast Brexit Theresa May. There is nothing anti establishment per se about about wanting in or out of the EU either way :laugh:

And I don't see how Morrissey could be any more anti establishment than Madonna has supposedly ceased to be. He generally sounds and looks more jaded, humourless and unhappy, that's for sure :lol:

i agree with the bolded but the rest...somewhat.

BUT i really dont care.  i really dont.  i dont even care about the american election.  im waiting for november 9.  im a scrooge.  i hate xmas and new year.  im always waiting for january 2 - when everything is all over.  :rotfl:

On 28/10/2016 at 6:04 PM, Pud Whacker said:

i agree with the bolded but the rest...somewhat.

BUT i really dont care.  i really dont.  i dont even care about the american election.  im waiting for november 9.  im a scrooge.  i hate xmas and new year.  im always waiting for january 2 - when everything is all over.  :rotfl:

I see :laugh:

My point was that for people like Morrissey Brexit or No Brexit if British Airways raises their prices (for instance) little changes. But for people who depend on a monthly salary they really could change. I read  those types of Morrissey comments more in line with a certain pride/nostalgia for the gone Empire than being anything that would make any sense in the reality of today

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/business/2016/10/28/british-airways-parent-iag-cuts-profit-outlook-in-tough-environm/

British Airways boss warns of price hikes as parent IAG cuts profit outlook 

BA planes

British Airways ticket prices could rise after its parent company warned for a third time this year its profits will be lower than forecast.

International Airlines Group, which also owns Vueling, Aer Lingus and Iberia, said it expected its operating profit for 2016 to be around €2.5bn (£2.24bn), an increase of just 7pc on the previous year, having been dealt a heavy blow by the fall in the pound's value since the UK voted to leave the EU in June.

Willie Walsh, IAG's chief executive, warned that ticket prices would rise if the pound continued to suffer. "In time, if sterling continues to be weak, we are looking at increases, not just in fares but in all goods."

Why Theresa May shared her Brexit fears with Goldman Sachs

The prime minister may be regretting her remarks, but the bank has boosted its reputation for powerful connections

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2016/oct/28/why-theresa-may-shared-brexit-fears-goldman-sachs

When the Guardian reported this week that Theresa May had privately made a passionate case for Britain’s continued membership of the EU shortly before the referendum, it didn’t look great. The problem wasn’t her opinion: she was saying the sort of things a member of the remain campaign was supposed to. The problem was that she wasn’t doing so in public – and the audience for her secret pitch was a select group of bankers from Goldman Sachs.

May is very far from the first politician to accept such an invitation. She has, for example, put herself in the same category as Hillary Clinton, who between resigning as US secretary of state and running for president made a number of highly lucrative speeches for the same bank. For both politicians, the idea that they are giving off-the-record briefings to the banking industry that stand at odds with their public pronouncements makes for very bad publicity indeed. For the spin doctors at Goldman Sachs, on the other hand, this must have been a pretty good week.

That’s not to say that “Goldman” or “Goldmans” – as insiders call the bank – is in general enthusiastic about publicity. Much like Fight Club, the first rule of the City is that you do not talk about the City: especially at major banks, unauthorised contact with reporters or researchers is grounds for immediate dismissal. Nowhere is this rule enforced more vigorously than at Goldman. There isn’t even a sign with the bank’s name on at its City HQ.

In the absence of a more conventional PR strategy, though, visits from the likes of May and Clinton serve a very useful purpose. Other banks may have good risk management, but none has Goldman’s mystique, or its network of former employees, from the European Central Bank president, Mario Draghi, to the Bank of England governor, Mark Carney, and former US Treasury ministers Hank Paulson and Robert Rubin. Goldman loves to present itself as the bank that is better than any of its competitors at drawing the most powerful decision-makers into its orbit – for example, hiring the former EU leader José Manuel Barroso earlier this year. All of this helps with recruitment as well as with holding on to staff. And so, publicity shy though Goldman may be, the outcry over May’s speech this week makes it look exactly the way it wants to.

“Any person being seen as at the global top of what they do, be it in basketball, green technology, fashion or chess, will be an interesting speaker for a bank trying to position itself as the global leader in its own field,” says one insider. Another adds: “It is the rock-star effect. ‘Look who we know! Look who we got!’ They say that politics is show business for ugly people. Getting a big-name politician in is just part of that – a celebrity to cheer up and maybe stimulate very well-paid but hard-pressed employees.”

Lupus in fabula

Such a joke

The problem with poor old Jeremy, is that he was pro-Brexit while weakly proclaiming that he wasn't. It's only taken him...how many weeks to actually start asking relevant questions at PMQs? Thanks to this ineffective opposition, the UK (as it stands right now) is basically saddled with the Tories....forever! 

Hey guys, looking for a last minute Halloween costume idea? I've just the thing to TERRIFY the local kids (and immigrants and Europeans and disabled and unemployed and vulnerable)

Print and wear!

may.jpg

5 hours ago, Kim said:

Hey guys, looking for a last minute Halloween costume idea? I've just the thing to TERRIFY the local kids (and immigrants and Europeans and disabled and unemployed and vulnerable)

Print and wear!

may.jpg

:dead::lmao:

What is Kilo doing in the Brexit thread? Oh wait, I see that's she's wearing the Theresa May witch mask above! Or maybe it's because she's an immigrant? Can we send her back? CAN WE??!

well, it will be a big mistake if the process is interrupted. Once the referendum was made, it would be absurd to stop it because the Parliament doesn't like the results. Parliament should be consulted BEFORE, and accept or deny having a referendum in the first place. But once made... 

7 hours ago, Raider of the lost Ark said:

Haha. Here we go. A court has ruled the PM needs the parliaments approval to trigger article 50. This is going to be interesting now.

Indeed

The problem is that they really do not like having to go through parliament because numerically speaking it would ultimately show how many actual MPs are in favour of Brexit VS those that oppose it. I don't object to anyone's prerogative there to be pro Brexit, what I find telling and somewhat peculiar is the appalling attitude of some of those British politicians in handling the whole thing start to finish, regardless of which side they campaigned for

On ‎01‎/‎11‎/‎2016 at 3:38 PM, Kim said:

What is Kilo doing in the Brexit thread? Oh wait, I see that's she's wearing the Theresa May witch mask above! Or maybe it's because she's an immigrant? Can we send her back? CAN WE??!

:laugh::rotfl:

Get rid of that Jake Shears and Ana Matronic first, they're insufferable. I like Kilo's Halloween mask by the way

That fucking referendum was advisory not legally binding, ffs - before article 50 can be invoked, legally parliament must approve it first. It was about time that this piece of info was forced down the throats of so many imbeciles. Exit from the EU is not going to be decided by the common British people and never was despite what WannabeMaggie & Cunts want everyone to believe in the name of "democracy". They don't even know the meaning of that word, as they've clearly shown with their demented actions. And by they I mean those pieces of shit arrogant lying bastard assholes called Tories.

End of rant.

Mess :scared:

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2016/nov/03/ruling-on-brexit-opens-way-to-mps-revolt

Theresa May faces potential MP revolt following article 50 ruling
High court decision that MPs must have a vote on triggering Brexit ‘gives chance to scrutinise prime minister’s approach’

3500.jpg?w=620&q=55&auto=format&usm=12&f

Theresa May is heading for a rebellion over her Brexit strategy after the high court ruled that the UK could not leave the European union without the permission of the British parliament.

Three senior judges ruled on Thursday that the government could not press ahead with triggering article 50 of the Lisbon treaty, the formal process for beginning Brexit, without first consulting MPs and peers in the Commons and Lords.

The decision, made after a legal challenge brought following the EU referendum result in June, is a dramatic setback for the prime minister, who had argued that she had the personal authority to begin the process without a parliamentary vote on the issue.

Downing Street has said they will challenge the judgment and an appeal with the supreme court is expected to be lodged. But David Davis, the Brexit secretary, acknowledged that the ruling as it stood meant the UK’s departure from the bloc would require the consent of both MPs and peers through an act of parliament. “The judges have laid out what we can’t do, and not exactly what we can do, but we’re presuming that it requires an act of parliament and therefore both Commons and Lords,” he said.

Parliamentarians are unlikely to block Brexit outright, given that 52% of voters among the public opted, on 23 June, to leave the EU, but the need for legislation gives MPs the opportunity to disrupt the process by demanding May reveals more details about her plan for negotiating the terms of departure.

The Guardian understands that a cross-party group of Tory and Labour MPs met this Thursday afternoon to discuss how the ruling could be used to force May to reveal more about her broad negotiating aims.