South China Sea Ongoing International Dispute - Largest Military Exercise Taking Place

XXL

http://www.reuters.com/article/us-southchinasea-indonesia-idUSKCN1240O9

Indonesia air force holds its largest military exercise in South China Sea

?m=02&d=20161004&t=2&i=1156028465&w=&fh=

Indonesia air force holds its largest military exercise in South China Sea. Indonesia's air force is holding its largest military exercise this week, near some of its islands in the South China Sea, in a show of sovereignty over the gas-rich area on the fringe of territory claimed by China, officials said on Tuesday.

President Joko Widodo in June launched an unprecedented campaign to bolster fishing, oil exploration and defense facilities around the Natuna island chain after a series of face-offs between the Indonesian navy and Chinese fishing boats. China, while not disputing Indonesia's clams to the Natuna islands, has raised Indonesian anger by saying the two countries had "over-lapping claims" to waters near them, an area Indonesia calls the Natuna Sea.

"We want to show our existence in the area. We have a good enough air force to act as a deterrent," said Jemi Trisonjaya, spokesman for Indonesia's air force. More than 2,000 air force personnel were taking part in the two-week long exercise, which includes the deployment of Indonesia's fleet of Russian Sukhoi and F-16 fighter jets, he said. Other branches of the Indonesian armed forces are not taking part in exercise, which ends on Thursday.

China claims almost the entire South China Sea, where about $5 trillion worth of trade passes every year. Brunei, Malaysia, the Philippines, Taiwan and Vietnam also have claims.
While Indonesia is not part of the dispute over claims in the South China Sea, it objects to China's inclusion of waters around the Natuna Islands within its "nine-dash line", a demarcation line used by China to show its claims in the sea.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-10-05/australia-defence-begins-joint-military-exercises-in-singapore/7906794

Australian Defence Force says military exercises in South China Sea region not aimed at Beijing

HMAS Warramunga simulate gunfire

Australian warships, planes and soldiers have begun annual joint military exercises with four strategic allies in the sensitive South China Sea region, but the Defence Force has denied the activity is aimed at sending a message to Beijing.

Around 400 Australian personnel are taking part in the three-week long "Exercise Bersama Lima" alongside counterparts from Malaysia, Singapore, New Zealand and the United Kingdom.

The annual gathering for the Five Powers Defence Arrangement (FPDA) nations is being hosted by Singapore this year, and will soon include war games in the contested South China Sea.

Australia's contribution includes the naval frigate HMAS Warramunga, 12 F/A-18A Hornets, an AP-3C Orion maritime patrol aircraft, an E-7A Wedgetail airborne early warning, control and surveillance aircraft as well as ground troops from the Army's Rifle Company Butterworth Infantry Platoon.

Royal Australian Air Force Wing Commander Greg Jervis said the exercise is not designed to respond to recent Chinese expansion in the region.

"Absolutely not, the Australian position in the South China Sea has always been consistent and clear," Wing Commander Jervis told the ABC in an interview from the Butterworth Air Force base in Malaysia.

The Australian Contingent Commander said the annual activity with FPDA allies is extremely useful.

"The aim of the exercise is to enhance the operability of the armed forces of Australia, Malaysia, Singapore, New Zealand and the UK by extending the knowledge of each other's tactics and our operational staff positions.

"So in essence we get to practice our planning and coordination in the combined joined operational procedures within the region."

On Wednesday Australian Defence Force Air Chief Marshal Mark Binskin and his counterparts reaffirmed their commitment to the FPDA at a conference chaired by Singapore.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-10-04/duterte's-shift-on-china-could-have-us-sweating/7899034

Rodrigo Duterte's shift on China threatens longstanding Philippines-US alliance

As 2,000 armed service personnel from the US and Philippines join together for military exercises this week, they have been told it will be the last between the long-standing allies.

"I am about to cross the Rubicon between me and the US," President Rodrigo Duterte said recently.

Few doubt the challenge facing the Philippines as it balances relations with the US, its biggest military ally, and the growing might of China, the emerging superpower in its neighbourhood.

"I'm serving notice now to the Americans. I will maintain the military alliance, the RP-US pact which our countries signed in the early '50s. But I will establish new alliances for trade and commerce," Mr Duterte said.

"You are scheduled to hold war games, which China does not want. I will serve notice to you now that this will be the last military exercise, jointly, [between] Philippines, the US. Last one."

The war games have been crucial in building cooperation and strengthening the alliance, but that is all in jeopardy, while comments from the volatile Philippines president have seemed confusing.

First Mr Duterte announced US troops would be expelled from their base in Mindanao, where they have been helping combat insurgents.

Later he seemed to moderate his position, after his Defence Chief insisted the US relationship was "rock solid".

"I never said get out of the Philippines, for after all, we need them [the US] there in the China Sea. We don't have armaments," Mr Duterte said two weeks ago.

Any comfort the US drew from this was quickly dashed.

Mr Duterte called for an end to Philippine patrols in the South China Sea, beyond the 12-mile territorial limit, including an end to joint patrols with the US in disputed waters.

"I do not want my country to be involved in a hostile act," he said on September 13.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uggZEmcYbGo

2014 Christiane Amanpour Report

• 3 weeks later...

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-37773706

Rodrigo Duterte wants US troops 'to leave Philippines'

Philippines" President Rodrigo Duterte delivers a speech at the Philippines Economic Forum in Tokyo on October 26, 2016.

Philippines president Rodrigo Duterte has said he wants US troops to leave the country, possibly within two years.

Speaking while on a state visit to Japan, he also called for an "independent foreign policy".

Under a current defence pact, the US maintains troops at five military bases in the Philippines.

Since taking office Mr Duterte has strongly emphasised a pivot away from the US, a long-time ally and former colonial ruler, towards China.

"I want, maybe in the next two years, my country free of the presence of foreign military troops. I want them out," he told a forum in Tokyo on Wednesday.

He reiterated the possibility of cancelling current agreements with the US, as well as his desire to be "closer to China".

Has Duterte really ditched the US for Beijing's embrace?

Philippines president cements ‘pivot to China’ on trip but his ministers deny a breakup with the US, leaving some to wonder if he can be trusted

The Philippine president, Rodrigo Duterte, is shown the way by his Chinese counterpart, Xi Jinping, before a signing ceremony in Beijing, China.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2016/oct/21/has-philippines-president-rodrigo-duterte-really-ditched-the-us-for-beijings-embrace

China visit was just economics, Duterte tells Japan

Outspoken Philippine president blasts US but tries to reassure his Tokyo hosts

https://www.ft.com/content/e8113902-9b5b-11e6-8f9b-70e3cabccfae

Love some of the comments to another video

lol china did not force these companies to leave the US and relocate in China, this is capitalism, money and profit. blame American greedy CEO and the US government who don't give a shit about the average American worker. yeah you heard me right, your democratic government don't give a fuck about you, they only need you to vote every 4 years and send your children overseas as human flesh to defend their personal interests in the name of "democracy"