MadonnaNation.com Forums
Suedey

Whatever happened to Sheryl Crow?

I mean she did that semi flop album Detours just after her cancer and the whole Lance thing then she did that awful covers album or whatever it was, and then a country album and then.. I don't even know really. I mean, one shit album is bad enough in this day and age but she kind of ended up careerless rather abruptly didn't she? 

I do like a lot of her material though so let's talk about her here. I have most of her albums.

Guest bluejean
1 hour ago, Suedehead said:

I mean she did that semi flop album Detours just after her cancer and the whole Lance thing then she did that awful covers album or whatever it was, and then a country album and then.. I don't even know really. I mean, one shit album is bad enough in this day and age but she kind of ended up careerless rather abruptly didn't she? 

I do like a lot of her material though so let's talk about her here. I have most of her albums.

She was last seen in an episode of 30 rock 4 years ago looking fresh faced and fabulous

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YUCtb83lVq4&list=RDYUCtb83lVq4

Not sure after that? I had no idea she had cancer :(

Oh, I love her. I'm not what you call an obsessive fan but her music is great. "Soak Up The Sun", "Light In Your Eyes", and "My Favorite Mistake" are my favs.

I didn't realise but my sister told me we had seen her in concert without knowing. (She was a backing singer for MJ on tour). lol

Omg I was JUST listening to her first three albums last night and thought the same thing.

Her first three albums are ACE. Especially her self titled 1996 album. Classic. Can't BELIEVE it's 20 years old this month. 

The Globe Sessions was pretty good too. I  will ALWAYS love My Favorite Mistake. 

I didn't care for C'mon C'mon at all and Wildflower had some gems but it was kinda boring over all. 

Everything has been too polished or too country. I hope she does a 'return to form' album soon. She's a great talent and lyricist. 

Guest bluejean
13 minutes ago, Crux said:

Oh, I love her. I'm not what you call an obsessive fan but her music is great. "Soak Up The Sun", "Light In Your Eyes", and "My Favorite Mistake" are my favs.

I didn't realise but my sister told me we had seen her in concert without knowing. (She was a backing singer for MJ on tour). lol

I only really know her first 2 albums. Which were good. She was great. I think covering Cat Stevens was kind of the beginning of the end for her. I don't really remember anything after that except performances in random tributes on the Grammys or something.

PLUS at some point she turned all blond bombshell bimbo and it was like looking at a different person.

@bluejean   You should check out a couple of songs from her third album, Globe Sessions. '' The Difficult Kind '' and '' Riverwide ''.

My 'go to' Crow album is probably her second one.

'' Leaving Las Vegas '' makes me so melancholy. I just think about John O'Brien's book of the same name, which was very good, and that he shot himself shortly after it's release. The book inspired the movie with Nick Cage.

Once I believed in things unseen
I was blinded by the dark
Out of the multitude to me
He came and broke my heart

Guest bluejean

Riverwide... Don't think I can do that one

doesn't she still do gigs here & there?

Guest bluejean
5 minutes ago, acko said:

doesn't she still do gigs here & there?

I'm sure she would. And I'm sure people would go to see her. She's a classic 90's artist like Alanis.

4 me it ended with 'Soak Up the Sun'. The songs just really weren't there anymore.

2 hours ago, Suedehead said:

she kind of ended up careerless rather abruptly didn't she? 

I just checked out her Wiki and she adopted two children and was diagnosed with a benign brain tumor in 2012.

http://www.nydailynews.com/life-style/health/sheryl-crow-reveals-benign-brain-tumor-reps-singer-healthy-happy-diagnosis-article-1.1090426

35 minutes ago, acko said:

4 me it ended with 'Soak Up the Sun'. The songs just really weren't there anymore.

Ummmm have you not heard Peace be Upon Us 

47 minutes ago, Suedehead said:

Ummmm have you not heard Peace be Upon Us 

No :-)

You're not missing much :dead:

she released a covers album a few years ago,it was lame,but ok.anyways,as somebody has said,the good songs started to disappeard...

Guest bluejean

Maybe she didn't feel much inspiration after having cancer?

I know you would think that a traumatic thing like that might inspire someone but sometimes these things are just too painful for someone to even write about.

50 minutes ago, bluejean said:

Maybe she didn't feel much inspiration after having cancer?

I know you would think that a traumatic thing like that might inspire someone but sometimes these things are just too painful for someone to even write about.

or probably she is still recovering...when did she start having cancer?

What Happened to Sheryl Crow – Recent Updates

What’s Sheryl Crow Doing Now in 2016- Recent Updates

Although Crow hasn’t released any new records these past few months, she isn’t quite out of the limelight yet. This August, the singer has just celebrated her ten years of being cancer-free at a conference held in Los Angeles, after having been diagnosed with a non-invasive type of breast cancer back in 2006.

An active advocate for breast cancer awareness, the singer has recently partnered up with Hologicーthe company behind a state-of-the-art 3D mammography device, in order to spread information about the importance of routine mammograms. According to Crow, the device had been monumental in helping to detect her cancer in 2006; it gave her the ability to seek quick treatment, which had ultimately enabled her to once again be able to lead a normal life. Having dealt with breast cancer first hand, Crow understands how scary the ordeal can be and thus has been encouraging women to visit their local medical facilities for a routine mammogram checkup; the singer would also like to urge those who are above the age of 40, to educate themselves on the disease.

In terms of her music, while she may not have an album release lined up anytime soon, Crow will be performing for her fans at a concert later this September held at the Ector County Coliseum in Odessa, Texas. As a benefiting event, all proceeds from the performance will be going towards the Education Foundation, a non-profit organization which helps to improve the culture of education by providing scholarships, literacy programs and classroom grants for teachers in Ector County. For the 15th annual event, Crow is scheduled to play for an hour on the stage with the possibilities of an encore, depending on the audience. For those of you who are interested, tickets are still available for purchaseーfeel free to visit her official website for more details.

If you’d like to stay up to date with the music artist, you can do so by following her on social mediaーyou can find her on Twitter (@SherylCrow) as well as on Instagram (@sherylcrow). Or if you’re an avid Facebook user, you can also follow her on her official page at @sherylcrow!

Full article: http://gazettereview.com/2016/09/happened-sheryl-crow-news-updates/

I loved her early releases, cool album Tuesday Night Music Club, one of my 90s favorites:

That's all lovely but we want new music Sheryl! 

She's had some good songs here and there. Love is Free is very good.  Wildflowers had Good is Good and I Know Why.  Even that "soul" album with the cover songs has Summer Day.  (Sideways is a really good cover song) All of these are as good as anything from the 90s, in my opinion.

I agree, though, Soak Up the sun was a big turning point for me, as well.

Oddly, she's one of my favorite artists, yet I totally ignore her country albums.  Even though I like some country artists. 

On October 1, 2016 at 10:17 PM, bluejean said:

Riverwide... Don't think I can do that one

Riverwide? I thought that whore died.

Tomorrow Never Dies is the only song of hers I know. I love it though.

She just posted on Facebook a couple days ago that she's working on 2 new albums.  

My Favorite Mistake

Tomorrow Never Dies

We Do What We Can

Everyday Is a Winding Road

All I Wanna Do

Home

Anything But Down

Light In Your Eyes

I Shall Believe

Can't Cry Anymore

A Change Would Do You Good

Steve McQueen

If It Makes You Happy

Strong Enough

The First Cut Is The Deepest

Leaving Las Vegas

Always On Your Side

Run Baby Run

She had some great tunes. TNMC is one of my favorite female albums from the 90's. 

Her album 1000 Miles From Memphis isn't that bad, I mean it's not an OMG kind of album, but it's pretty enjoyable. 

I absolutely enjoy these songs: Our Love is Fading, Eye to Eye, Sign Your Name, Summer Day & I Want You Back.

I love her.  Self titled through Wildflower are favorites of mine.  Detours was ok. The soul covers and the country album is just the kind of nonsense that annoys me.  I ignored Jewel's two country albums too.  I'm sure they are lovely.

Oddly, I was never blown away by Tuesday Night Music Club although I played it back in the day.

The Globe Sessions is my MVP for Sheryl.

On October 1, 2016 at 2:33 PM, acko said:

Yeah, she really fell apart with that fourth album. Totally uninspired. Such a shame.

18 hours ago, SomeofShane said:

I love her.  Self titled through Wildflower are favorites of mine.  Detours was ok. The soul covers and the country album is just the kind of nonsense that annoys me.  I ignored Jewel's two country albums too.  I'm sure they are lovely.

Oddly, I was never blown away by Tuesday Night Music Club although I played it back in the day.

The Globe Sessions is my MVP for Sheryl.

YES. "The Globe Sessions" is one of the best albums of the 90s.

And same on not being blown away by "TNMC." It has a couple great tracks -- "Strong Enough," "Leaving Las Vegas" -- but not much else. Second album was a big improvement. And "Globe Sessions" even better than the second -- by a mile.

There was a Madonna list-serve in the mid-90s and the loons were just freaking out that "Secret" was stuck at #3 behind "All I Wanna Do." They were so sure it was a #1 hit and couldn't accept that it got stuck at #3!  :lol:

39 minutes ago, material_boy said:

Yeah, she really fell apart with that fourth album. Totally uninspired. Such a shame.

And same on not being blown away by "TNMC." It has a couple great tracks -- "Strong Enough," "Leaving Las Vegas" -- but not much else. Second album was a big improvement. And "Globe Sessions" even better than the second -- by a mile.

There was a Madonna list-serve in the mid-90s and the loons were just freaking out that "Secret" was stuck at #3 behind "All I Wanna Do." They were so sure it was a #1 hit and couldn't accept that it got stuck at #3!  :lol:

what!? Secret was not a number 1??!!!...fuck I hate this Crow bitch!

She's privileged of having some of her songs within my music list though...god bless her.

Love her voice her songs. Used to be a great fan

7 hours ago, material_boy said:

The 4th album could have been great if it was a ten track record not 15. Too many bland songs. She had the tori amos disease. Best albums by far are 2nd and 3rd albums.